Max Vohland 125 EMX

2/28/2020 4:32am
roninho wrote:
Imo it has much more to do with a scheduling issue why there isnt an 125 outdoor class or different type of youth championship. The EMX...
Imo it has much more to do with a scheduling issue why there isnt an 125 outdoor class or different type of youth championship.

The EMX 125 class at MAtterley this weekend has:
* two 25 minute practice sessions
* two 25 minute qualifying sessions
* two 30 minute motos

This is great for the riders and their development. But there is no way you can include this in a 1-day format at the outdoors. Sure you can go for the current format of the 125 all stars (?), but what are these kids gonna learn from a couple of laps riding?

Sure i dont think Honda or Kawa has any benefit for a 125cc class, but as we have seen in MXGP its not that they block it.
When did they ditch the LCQ?
vschaik141
2/28/2020 4:48am
best of luck to Max I'll be rooting for him. He'll be one of the quickest guys in his class. no pressure just gain experience.
philG
2/28/2020 5:00am
roninho wrote:
Imo it has much more to do with a scheduling issue why there isnt an 125 outdoor class or different type of youth championship. The EMX...
Imo it has much more to do with a scheduling issue why there isnt an 125 outdoor class or different type of youth championship.

* two 30 minute motos

This is great for the riders and their development. But there is no way you can include this in a 1-day format at the outdoors. Sure you can go for the current format of the 125 all stars (?), but what are these kids gonna learn from a couple of laps riding?

Sure i dont think Honda or Kawa has any benefit for a 125cc class, but as we have seen in MXGP its not that they block it.
When did they ditch the LCQ?
There wasn't one last year, and I think they only got one session too, straight from free into timed training. Plenty of track time

Bear in mind there are 80 riders , so each session is half the guys,
DonM
2/28/2020 6:19am
DonM wrote:
There’s no series here or proper classes because the factories don’t want them...other than KTM/Husky and Yamaha...Kawasaki, Honda etc.. aren’t signing 8yr olds and there families...
There’s no series here or proper classes because the factories don’t want them...other than KTM/Husky and Yamaha...Kawasaki, Honda etc.. aren’t signing 8yr olds and there families to long term contracts in Europe the way they do in the US....and that is the root of the problem.
Do you think Kawi, Honda and Suz would be on board for forming 125 A and B classes? They have way too much influence over the sanctioning bodies in the US...
roninho wrote:

* two 30 minute motos

I don’t disagree with the amount of track time which I covered in another comment as US riders have trouble adapting to the GP process....If you doubt the factories involvement in how things are done all you have to do is look at the one day format...it was the US factory teams that wanted it....the same teams that won’t send riders to the MXDN....and the same teams who don’t have interest in a 125 class because they don’t want to lose their prodigy to another team...

The Shop

2/28/2020 6:36am
After watching him float over the terrain at Loretta’s this year I’m just pumped to see where his career goes.
MXMattii
2/29/2020 9:44am
He did great. Fighting for top 5 but in the last 5 minutes he made some mistakes and he tumbled down to 17th place.
philG
2/29/2020 1:35pm
He was 10 secs off Everts pace in the mud , but even in practice he didnt stand out. Race was a lottery, he moved up cos people crashed , then he went down himself. If Everts hadnt fallen with 2 to go he would have got lapped. That said , i am not judging anyone on that race, not even Everts.
flymoto
2/29/2020 2:13pm
philG wrote:
He was 10 secs off Everts pace in the mud , but even in practice he didnt stand out. Race was a lottery, he moved up...
He was 10 secs off Everts pace in the mud , but even in practice he didnt stand out. Race was a lottery, he moved up cos people crashed , then he went down himself. If Everts hadnt fallen with 2 to go he would have got lapped. That said , i am not judging anyone on that race, not even Everts.
True! It was expected of everts to be at the front in those conditions. If he’s learnt anything off his father, then he’s going to be smooth and fast in conditions like today. In fairness he’s been putting loads of work in over the winter and it’s paid off. I’m sure vohland will be further up there when we get onto some hard pack, the tracks he’s used to riding ain’t nothing like they are here!
2/29/2020 2:17pm
His riding style is a little similar to Leoks and Petrovs. You can put a newspaper under each armpit and it won‘t fall down. He did well in the mud today. I appreciate his effort and wish him the best of luck in the races.
St Ann More
2/29/2020 2:45pm Edited Date/Time 2/29/2020 3:00pm
philG wrote:
He was 10 secs off Everts pace in the mud , but even in practice he didnt stand out. Race was a lottery, he moved up...
He was 5th fastest in practice, Everts was 3rd.

He was also moved into 5th place during the race. Max lost two minutes in two laps, with a catalogue of errors, including going down - that's the only reason Everts was remotely close to lapping him! Sure, Everts also went down, but he only lost 10 seconds.

philG
2/29/2020 3:22pm
philG wrote:
flymoto wrote:
True! It was expected of everts to be at the front in those conditions. If he’s learnt anything off his father, then he’s going to be...
True! It was expected of everts to be at the front in those conditions. If he’s learnt anything off his father, then he’s going to be smooth and fast in conditions like today. In fairness he’s been putting loads of work in over the winter and it’s paid off. I’m sure vohland will be further up there when we get onto some hard pack, the tracks he’s used to riding ain’t nothing like they are here!
Like i said, you cant judge anyone off today , even Everts for winning.. it was a lottery , hopefully tomorrow will be better.
AB#81
3/1/2020 1:38pm
philG wrote:
He was 5th fastest in practice, Everts was 3rd. He was also moved into 5th place during the race. Max lost two minutes in two laps...

He was also moved into 5th place during the race. Max lost two minutes in two laps, with a catalogue of errors, including going down - that's the only reason Everts was remotely close to lapping him! Sure, Everts also went down, but he only lost 10 seconds.

He was 5th in his group, not 5th overall.
3/1/2020 1:54pm
Just what I got out of what they showed of him during the broadcast, looked like he was over riding it. I mean he looked like he was super aggressive and going really fast but he made a lot of mistakes and was still battling guys who looked like they were just riding around. Which is exactly what has been discussed a lot also over here on the forums in the difference in riding styles between the Euros and the US. I do think he can battle for podiums and wins once he settles in the very different GP scene, but most importantly I think he will gain some very different and valuable experience and learn a lot of for his future.
philG
3/1/2020 2:29pm
Just what I got out of what they showed of him during the broadcast, looked like he was over riding it. I mean he looked like...
Just what I got out of what they showed of him during the broadcast, looked like he was over riding it. I mean he looked like he was super aggressive and going really fast but he made a lot of mistakes and was still battling guys who looked like they were just riding around. Which is exactly what has been discussed a lot also over here on the forums in the difference in riding styles between the Euros and the US. I do think he can battle for podiums and wins once he settles in the very different GP scene, but most importantly I think he will gain some very different and valuable experience and learn a lot of for his future.
One of my friends follows him Instagram, wondered who they had sent over instead. LOL

Today's race was in much better conditions, weather and track , and I think Vohland went down on the second lap while 5th, and then had to come back through, he was outside the top 10 at the end. Everts was awesome and pulled the outside pass like his dad did on Stew , for the win.

But your post backs up what we saw trackside, for sure. I am sure we haven't seen the last of him.

Nuffsaid
3/1/2020 3:04pm
It’ll be a tough learning curve and it’ll take guts. Hope he sticks it out
MXMattii
3/1/2020 5:09pm
philG wrote:
One of my friends follows him Instagram, wondered who they had sent over instead. LOL Today's race was in much better conditions, weather and track...
One of my friends follows him Instagram, wondered who they had sent over instead. LOL

Today's race was in much better conditions, weather and track , and I think Vohland went down on the second lap while 5th, and then had to come back through, he was outside the top 10 at the end. Everts was awesome and pulled the outside pass like his dad did on Stew , for the win.

But your post backs up what we saw trackside, for sure. I am sure we haven't seen the last of him.

His pace wasn't bad, but he made too much mistakes for a good result. You find guys with a 2.49 laptimes in the top ten. Don't get your attitude of bashing the kid, also this is all part of the bigger picture. When he returns to the USA with all this in his bag he will be more ready for 250B for example.
philG
3/2/2020 1:19am
philG wrote:
One of my friends follows him Instagram, wondered who they had sent over instead. LOL Today's race was in much better conditions, weather and track...

MXMattii wrote:
His pace wasn't bad, but he made too much mistakes for a good result. You find guys with a 2.49 laptimes in the top ten. Don't...
His pace wasn't bad, but he made too much mistakes for a good result. You find guys with a 2.49 laptimes in the top ten. Don't get your attitude of bashing the kid, also this is all part of the bigger picture. When he returns to the USA with all this in his bag he will be more ready for 250B for example.
Not bashing him, just stating facts. There is an aura of 'next big thing' floating round him that got people talking about him.. so he is going to get attention.

He didnt set the world on fire , is pointing that out a problem.

For balance i will say that Joel Rizzi who was slated as a possible front runner from the UK , was also poor with a 9- 20ish score . As always with EMX 125 , kids get a growth spurt and suddenly they are there. There were 40 guys who missed the cut too
St Ann More
3/2/2020 1:36am
philG wrote:
He was 5th fastest in practice, Everts was 3rd. He was also moved into 5th place during the race. Max lost two minutes in two laps...

AB#81 wrote:
He was 5th in his group, not 5th overall.
Looks like we're both wrong! ;-)

Practice - 1st in his group, 7th overall.

Timed practice - 4th in his group, 6th overall.
Mucktub
3/2/2020 2:09am
I'm sure Max will get there if he has the hard work and determination of his dad, can't judge him too harshly on his first proper international race outside the US.

I do sometimes think these young lads get the shitty end of the stick when the track conditions aren't at their best being first on the track, but it's all a learning experience. From the fence, the track conditions looked pretty amazing when you consider the beating the UK took from the weather this last month.
Motofinne
3/2/2020 3:23am Edited Date/Time 3/2/2020 3:31am
I thought he had a positive first ever EMX race. The speed was there to get top 10 in both motos and that is no joke for a first go on a really difficult track in a difficult class. Not amazing, but clearly positive.

I hope this also is opening some eyes in USA because i'm pretty sure Vohland would rank this weekend as the most gnarly race in his life thus far and the learning experience is huge. I don't think American based riders could do the EMX 250 class because SX has to take a bigger part of the focus in that stage of their development but EMX 125 should absolutely be doable. When you watch the EMX125 races from yesterday, it's kind of obvious why the riders doing this series are getting better and better every year in MX. One timed qualifying session where 40 out of about 80-100 riders make it to the races and 2x 25 minutes + 2 laps on tracks like that will develop speed, fitness and racecraft.

Will Vohland line up in Madrid at round 2 or not?
RG1
3/2/2020 4:47am
Motofinne wrote:
I thought he had a positive first ever EMX race. The speed was there to get top 10 in both motos and that is no joke...
I thought he had a positive first ever EMX race. The speed was there to get top 10 in both motos and that is no joke for a first go on a really difficult track in a difficult class. Not amazing, but clearly positive.

I hope this also is opening some eyes in USA because i'm pretty sure Vohland would rank this weekend as the most gnarly race in his life thus far and the learning experience is huge. I don't think American based riders could do the EMX 250 class because SX has to take a bigger part of the focus in that stage of their development but EMX 125 should absolutely be doable. When you watch the EMX125 races from yesterday, it's kind of obvious why the riders doing this series are getting better and better every year in MX. One timed qualifying session where 40 out of about 80-100 riders make it to the races and 2x 25 minutes + 2 laps on tracks like that will develop speed, fitness and racecraft.

I don’t really understand what he’s been doing though. He’s not long been on a 125 and he already can’t do another season of EMX125 after this one because of his age. I know riders develop at different rates but he’s the same age as Jett Lawrence. He’s a million miles away from that level. Maybe he isn’t expected to reach that level, but the hype around him suggests that people are expecting big things. He seems a bit behind where he should be for his age for the expectation around him
jamma10
3/2/2020 6:52am
He'd only been in Europe a week and practiced a couple of times in the wet, but on rock hard tracks by the looks of it. European riders have been practicing and racing in shitty conditions for months while he's been out in California. Same goes for Mitchell Harrison - maybe a regrettable decision in hindsight.

From what I saw on TV, two of Vohlands crashes were very simple but very costly mistakes, and in another incident he got stuck in a rut behind a fallen rider.

I think he has a lot more to offer and I'm confident he can podium at places like Trentino, Agueda, St Jean d'Angely, Maggiora etc (...as long as they're not wet). And I'll make a bold prediction that he will win the Spanish GP!
Zaugg
3/2/2020 8:20am
I'm pretty sure Talon has Max racing in EMX because of conditions like this past weekend. Get experience on various types of terrain and conditions with fast kids to make for a better all-around racer.

While Max's performance at Matterley doesn't reflect his skill level, this will only enhance his skills, racecraft, and experience as a young racer.

I think this is a smart move for Vohland as it will give him experience with some of the top racers in the world in conditions unlike what he'll see in the US. No need to come up with excuses why he did well or didn't. He's there to learn and failure is as much a part of learning as success.

Stoked to see what he does throughout the season.

BMc914
3/2/2020 8:28am Edited Date/Time 3/2/2020 8:29am
Here is highlights. Didn't go to good. 17th place. Everts took first.
If you subscribe to mxgp YouTube they have all the highlights for the weekend and the crashes to.
https://youtu.be/XXJ_warWjOs
Cortami79
3/2/2020 10:44am
Give him some time. He did great for his debut, even in these conditions. Great to see his family wants to give him as much experience as possible and hopefully he can improve his riding style a bit with the RedBull KTM team. I think it is a great decision to get here.
3/2/2020 12:02pm
Motofinne wrote:
I thought he had a positive first ever EMX race. The speed was there to get top 10 in both motos and that is no joke...

RG1 wrote:
I don’t really understand what he’s been doing though. He’s not long been on a 125 and he already can’t do another season of EMX125 after...
I don’t really understand what he’s been doing though. He’s not long been on a 125 and he already can’t do another season of EMX125 after this one because of his age. I know riders develop at different rates but he’s the same age as Jett Lawrence. He’s a million miles away from that level. Maybe he isn’t expected to reach that level, but the hype around him suggests that people are expecting big things. He seems a bit behind where he should be for his age for the expectation around him
Bringing up his age in every conversation is kind of pointless imo, especially comparing to Jett since his route has been pretty uncommon in it’s own way. Everyone has their way, some move through the amateur scene quicker and some take more time. The Vohland’s have obviously made the decision to not rush it, and we won’t see until a couple of years down the road how it works out.
philG
3/2/2020 12:33pm
Bringing up his age in every conversation is kind of pointless imo, especially comparing to Jett since his route has been pretty uncommon in it’s own...
Bringing up his age in every conversation is kind of pointless imo, especially comparing to Jett since his route has been pretty uncommon in it’s own way. Everyone has their way, some move through the amateur scene quicker and some take more time. The Vohland’s have obviously made the decision to not rush it, and we won’t see until a couple of years down the road how it works out.
Your profile pic makes your post a little ironic.

Jett came and did EMX 125/ 250 and I think he did an MX2 GP as well, then ended up getting a deal off the back of his brother( he had to go where he went, which is understandable) in the US, and went to ride Amateur for a season which was baffling at the time to many people here, even if his ultimate goal was to race SX in the US , he was MX2 ready.

Roczen was MX2 World Champ at 17 and had left for the USA .

By the same token , Joel Smets didn't start racing till he was 17.

Age is relevant, because if you miss your chance, it goes to a younger , faster rider. That's how the sport works, teams will throw money at kids who 'might' do something, than support someone who has .. Zach Osborne a good example.

So while it isn't the most important thing , his age is certainly relevant.

On a side note Liam Everts may well be doing EMX250 at Valkenswaard, if his Instagram story is correct.
JB479
3/2/2020 2:19pm
philG wrote:
Your profile pic makes your post a little ironic. Jett came and did EMX 125/ 250 and I think he did an MX2 GP as well...
Your profile pic makes your post a little ironic.

Jett came and did EMX 125/ 250 and I think he did an MX2 GP as well, then ended up getting a deal off the back of his brother( he had to go where he went, which is understandable) in the US, and went to ride Amateur for a season which was baffling at the time to many people here, even if his ultimate goal was to race SX in the US , he was MX2 ready.

Roczen was MX2 World Champ at 17 and had left for the USA .

By the same token , Joel Smets didn't start racing till he was 17.

Age is relevant, because if you miss your chance, it goes to a younger , faster rider. That's how the sport works, teams will throw money at kids who 'might' do something, than support someone who has .. Zach Osborne a good example.

So while it isn't the most important thing , his age is certainly relevant.

On a side note Liam Everts may well be doing EMX250 at Valkenswaard, if his Instagram story is correct.
Lawrence went from a 85 straight to emx250. Never rode a 125. He was 14 and went from not qualifying for the first round to going 1-1 at the last round of the year. Hes a generational talent.
philG
3/2/2020 2:40pm
JB479 wrote:
Lawrence went from a 85 straight to emx250. Never rode a 125. He was 14 and went from not qualifying for the first round to going...
Lawrence went from a 85 straight to emx250. Never rode a 125. He was 14 and went from not qualifying for the first round to going 1-1 at the last round of the year. Hes a generational talent.
I was sure I saw him somewhere on a 125, but I guess not.
But yes, as generational as his brother … LOL, hopefully they both heal and stay healed.

I wont mention his age, people get tippy

rileymx
3/2/2020 4:19pm
reading this topic makes you think it doesnt rain in america, there is no mud or wet dirt, even when the wet dirt race is in america the americans are not ready for it and track conditions are an excuse for pour results.......
they always show speed, but the results are usually sub-par to the hype put on them because of the wheather, the track, etc......
as much as we can talk about the wrongs about the american youth motox, the system is always the same and the results tend to keep the same direction, first was the top pros in the mxdn, then even in sx there was non americans getting the wins, now the hot young american stars are not that hot anymore.......and still no one in the powers are willing to discuss that system......
i only see a few asking for an 125 race just for the love of 2 strokes, as the love for a race without turns !!!!!! nothing to do with youth growing, or level of learning the crafts of racing.......
discussing the system of youth growing in american motocross has been proven late, to late already........take your time and blame the tracks and the wheather again.........

Post a reply to: Max Vohland 125 EMX

The Latest