Max Vohland 125 EMX

therealhammer
2/22/2020 8:28am
keinz wrote:
As a 16, he must already try MX2, or at least EMX2. KRoc and Herlings won GPs at age 15. But what do I know
TerryTV wrote:
Yeah everyone on here seems to be praising this kid for being wicked on a supermini, but he should have been on a big bike for...
Yeah everyone on here seems to be praising this kid for being wicked on a supermini, but he should have been on a big bike for the last two years. He sandbagged HARD the last couple years IMO. Jett Lawrence is younger than him leading main events In SX and top 20’s in MX as soon as he turned 16.
If only kids would all grow at the same rate ... damn you genetics !
jeffro503
2/22/2020 8:49am
DonM wrote:
Difference between the US and Europe is that the US doesn’t have a 125 “A” class that would be the natural structure for riders to move...
Difference between the US and Europe is that the US doesn’t have a 125 “A” class that would be the natural structure for riders to move to from 85’s. If more emphasis was put on a proper 125 class more riders would naturally flow from 85’s at 14 to 125’s, but our system is set up for riders to transition from 85’s to 250f’s which is why you have 16yr olds on 85’s....I blame the manufactures as they have way too much influence over what classes are important. When only two of the big five produce 125’s and the influence they have...well this is what happens....We need proper emphasis put on 125’s not just a stupid 1 moto time filler race at the nationals...
ATKpilot99 wrote:
Also a prime reason we're falling behind in motocross in my opinion.
DonM wrote:
Exactly!
You guy's said exactly what I have been preaching for years on here. I still think the 125 is the most important development bike ever made , for kids coming from 85's and going to bigger bikes.

Crossing my fingers , but I think DC is trying to step up this class , to hopefully make it a real series. Even if it's just an East / West thing would be great.
DonM
2/22/2020 9:04am
ATKpilot99 wrote:
Also a prime reason we're falling behind in motocross in my opinion.
DonM wrote:
Exactly!
jeffro503 wrote:
You guy's said exactly what I have been preaching for years on here. I still think the 125 is the most important development bike ever made...
You guy's said exactly what I have been preaching for years on here. I still think the 125 is the most important development bike ever made , for kids coming from 85's and going to bigger bikes.

Crossing my fingers , but I think DC is trying to step up this class , to hopefully make it a real series. Even if it's just an East / West thing would be great.
The problem is the manufacturers aren’t all on board...Kawi will never let one of their signed to early 65 protégés switch to another brand to race 125’s....until there is a rule in place to keep the factories from signing these kids and their families to long term contracts that carry into their first few years as a pro....there has to be another way...they should not be allowed to sign minors or their families to long term contracts....unfortunately this sport is run by the manufacturers and the sanctioning bodies and promoters allow it to happen....
aeffertz
2/22/2020 9:15am
aeffertz wrote:
Leave it to Vital... A 16 year old (currently) should've been racing the MX2 class two years ago and since he didn't, he has been sandbagging...
Leave it to Vital... A 16 year old (currently) should've been racing the MX2 class two years ago and since he didn't, he has been sandbagging. Some of you are properly off your old rockers. I would hate to see how you would push your own kid if this is how you tell other people to raise their's.
philG wrote:
Not riding the MX2 class doesn't make him a sandbagger. Still being on an 85 did He will be 17 in a few weeks. In contrast...
Not riding the MX2 class doesn't make him a sandbagger.

Still being on an 85 did

He will be 17 in a few weeks.

In contrast, Jorge Prado is 2 years and 2 months older . And has 2 MX2 world Championships.

EMX 125 is ages 13 to 17 , so he has to do it this year as he will be aged out.

He could have done it in 2016.

None of those facts is a criticism, just a fact. I thought he was young. He isn't.

Still excited to see him race.
He’s still young, let the kid race bikes he’s still eligible to without criticizing him.

I can make comparisons too. Ricky Carmichael, who is/was arguably the best ever, raced 85’s until he aged out and didn’t turn pro until he was 17, to which he then began racing in the 125 class.

The Shop

philG
2/22/2020 9:26am
aeffertz wrote:
He’s still young, let the kid race bikes he’s still eligible to without criticizing him. I can make comparisons too. Ricky Carmichael, who is/was arguably the...
He’s still young, let the kid race bikes he’s still eligible to without criticizing him.

I can make comparisons too. Ricky Carmichael, who is/was arguably the best ever, raced 85’s until he aged out and didn’t turn pro until he was 17, to which he then began racing in the 125 class.
Its not criticism, its just stating facts

If he is fast , that's fine, but is he fast because he is the oldest and biggest in his class?

I don't know the answer.

It just shows the disparity from each side of the pond.. Tim Gajser is a double world champion and he is younger than Shane McElrath.

And like you say RC went pro at 17.. Vohland is 17 is 3 weeks.

DC's mission to get a 125 series going is awesome, it needs to recognize the guys that win it .

Just seen a video for Matterley basin, track looks prime after some horrific weather over here , its a week away and I cant wait
TerryTV
2/22/2020 3:36pm
aeffertz wrote:
He’s still young, let the kid race bikes he’s still eligible to without criticizing him. I can make comparisons too. Ricky Carmichael, who is/was arguably the...

philG wrote:
Its not criticism, its just stating facts If he is fast , that's fine, but is he fast because he is the oldest and biggest in...

If he is fast , that's fine, but is he fast because he is the oldest and biggest in his class?

I don't know the answer.

It just shows the disparity from each side of the pond.. Tim Gajser is a double world champion and he is younger than Shane McElrath.

DC's mission to get a 125 series going is awesome, it needs to recognize the guys that win it .

Just seen a video for Matterley basin, track looks prime after some horrific weather over here , its a week away and I cant wait
Exactly my thoughts. When the ‘kid’ was on a supermini... he was older, taller, and stronger than the competition. If he gets good results in 250 B or 250 A.... then I’d understand the hype.
Bearuno
2/22/2020 10:17pm
philG wrote:
Its not criticism, its just stating facts If he is fast , that's fine, but is he fast because he is the oldest and biggest in...

I don't know the answer.

Well, Phil, Gajser is a Triple World Champion......... Not to mention his youth day championships / series ones.

As to Max - it's his life / his families approach to racing. Things will be different, from others experience, approach, plans and, circumstances.

The Vohlands racing for their boy, Max, appears to be less 'hothouse' than others, and, if so, I think that's a good thing. This "training facility and doing just the few big US Mini races" , to me, seems truly bizarre, as it seemingly does, to you. But, it has / may have worked for a (very) few.

He's got a year of EMX125 - if he's actually doing the full series - and that might have been his families plan all along - just that year. There's also a lot of other 125 racing in Europe, as you would well know, and , much of it, is pretty 'high end' racing, too. I wonder if he / they have 250F plans in say, the ADAC series, or others? It's an approach used by a fair few other riders and teams

The Vohlands would know a fair bit ( well, an effing Lot, I would assume) about the Euro racing scene, have a lot of contacts, and that should be a great assistance to the young bloke.

But, he's stepping into a very, Very competitive area of racing, with a shedload of very, Very fast and talented 'hopefuls'. I've yet to see the entry numbers for the first round, but, it will be a Lot.

I wish him / his family, luck.

PS :

I hope DC truly does have a 'mission' to upgrade the 125 'all stars' racing, to a real racing series, or, more afford-ably / logically, an East / West set up.
2/22/2020 10:36pm
It's common knowledge that Max had a Supermini contract in place and grew more than expected. They even picked up their 125's on the way home from Loretta's. There's a plan in place and from reading some of the idiocy from you hateful Euro's, it's quite obvious Tallon is raising his kid infinitely better than your parents raised you.
jeffro503
2/23/2020 9:14am
DonM wrote:
Exactly!
jeffro503 wrote:
You guy's said exactly what I have been preaching for years on here. I still think the 125 is the most important development bike ever made...

DonM wrote:
The problem is the manufacturers aren’t all on board...Kawi will never let one of their signed to early 65 protégés switch to another brand to race...
The problem is the manufacturers aren’t all on board...Kawi will never let one of their signed to early 65 protégés switch to another brand to race 125’s....until there is a rule in place to keep the factories from signing these kids and their families to long term contracts that carry into their first few years as a pro....there has to be another way...they should not be allowed to sign minors or their families to long term contracts....unfortunately this sport is run by the manufacturers and the sanctioning bodies and promoters allow it to happen....
Well , here's the thing.......Factories aren't on board , because there is no series here , to be onboard with. The 125 class in the GP's strive , and is huge. If they can make it work there , we can make it work here.
2/23/2020 9:58am
WCRider wrote:
Joel Smets started riding a dirtbike at 17 years old.
And on a YZ490. That's the way to bring on new talent. :-)
Motofinne
2/23/2020 10:14am
It's common knowledge that Max had a Supermini contract in place and grew more than expected. They even picked up their 125's on the way home...
It's common knowledge that Max had a Supermini contract in place and grew more than expected. They even picked up their 125's on the way home from Loretta's. There's a plan in place and from reading some of the idiocy from you hateful Euro's, it's quite obvious Tallon is raising his kid infinitely better than your parents raised you.
DonM
2/23/2020 12:54pm
jeffro503 wrote:

DonM wrote:
The problem is the manufacturers aren’t all on board...Kawi will never let one of their signed to early 65 protégés switch to another brand to race...
jeffro503 wrote:
Well , here's the thing.......Factories aren't on board , because there is no series here , to be onboard with. The 125 class in the GP's...
Well , here's the thing.......Factories aren't on board , because there is no series here , to be onboard with. The 125 class in the GP's strive , and is huge. If they can make it work there , we can make it work here.
There’s no series here or proper classes because the factories don’t want them...other than KTM/Husky and Yamaha...Kawasaki, Honda etc.. aren’t signing 8yr olds and there families to long term contracts in Europe the way they do in the US....and that is the root of the problem.
Do you think Kawi, Honda and Suz would be on board for forming 125 A and B classes? They have way too much influence over the sanctioning bodies in the US...
philG
2/23/2020 1:00pm
Bearuno wrote:
Well, Phil, Gajser is a Triple World Champion......... Not to mention his youth day championships / series ones. As to Max - it's his life /...
Well, Phil, Gajser is a Triple World Champion......... Not to mention his youth day championships / series ones.

As to Max - it's his life / his families approach to racing. Things will be different, from others experience, approach, plans and, circumstances.

The Vohlands racing for their boy, Max, appears to be less 'hothouse' than others, and, if so, I think that's a good thing. This "training facility and doing just the few big US Mini races" , to me, seems truly bizarre, as it seemingly does, to you. But, it has / may have worked for a (very) few.

He's got a year of EMX125 - if he's actually doing the full series - and that might have been his families plan all along - just that year. There's also a lot of other 125 racing in Europe, as you would well know, and , much of it, is pretty 'high end' racing, too. I wonder if he / they have 250F plans in say, the ADAC series, or others? It's an approach used by a fair few other riders and teams

The Vohlands would know a fair bit ( well, an effing Lot, I would assume) about the Euro racing scene, have a lot of contacts, and that should be a great assistance to the young bloke.

But, he's stepping into a very, Very competitive area of racing, with a shedload of very, Very fast and talented 'hopefuls'. I've yet to see the entry numbers for the first round, but, it will be a Lot.

I wish him / his family, luck.

PS :

I hope DC truly does have a 'mission' to upgrade the 125 'all stars' racing, to a real racing series, or, more afford-ably / logically, an East / West set up.
I was only thinking of 450 titles.

It shows how different things are now, I remember Lechien as a 16 year old on a 250 , guys came up when they were fast enough.

Totally the opposite now , they seem to milk the lower classes but I don't see to what end.

I still struggle with the fact that Adam Ciancirulo and Tim Gajser are the same age within a month. Obviously AC had 2 seasons out , but it puts it in perspective a bit.
mag23
2/24/2020 12:58pm
I'm sure Tallon would love for Max to be compared to some of the names mentioned here... but for now, Tallon thought this current plan was better for Max. In a perfect world, Max woulda been 140 lbs 2 years ago, but he was a skinny kid, and Tallon wasn't about to risk the bigger bikes at that time. Max will be 17 soon, and should turn pro, right about the time that most kids in the US do. Racing pro at age 16 wasn't in the cards for Max, but it's certainly no disappointment.
ATKpilot99
2/24/2020 3:03pm
I really dont know too much about him besides what I saw at the MEC. Is it conceivable he doesn't make the field ?
philG
2/24/2020 3:53pm
ATKpilot99 wrote:
I really dont know too much about him besides what I saw at the MEC. Is it conceivable he doesn't make the field ?
Larry Reyes Jr missed the cut in France last year, so its possible. However, they get 2 sessions, so he has a chance to get used to the bike and track, although honestly there isn't much to get used to , the top EMX85 guys can clear all the jumps, and its wide open.

I say he makes it easy. If he doesn't , Vital will implode. He should win or be close, oldest in class, and the big hitters are in EMX250 now
DonM
2/24/2020 4:31pm
ATKpilot99 wrote:
philG wrote:
Larry Reyes Jr missed the cut in France last year, so its possible. However, they get 2 sessions, so he has a chance to get used...
Larry Reyes Jr missed the cut in France last year, so its possible. However, they get 2 sessions, so he has a chance to get used to the bike and track, although honestly there isn't much to get used to , the top EMX85 guys can clear all the jumps, and its wide open.

I say he makes it easy. If he doesn't , Vital will implode. He should win or be close, oldest in class, and the big hitters are in EMX250 now
Not sure why you keep bringing this kid up and nothing against him but his level is nowhere near a Max Vohland level of a rider....his LL finishes throughout the years have hovered around 10th or so in his classes he raced but you keep using him as an example of the entire US level of amateur racers....stop trying to make this a US vs GP thing and just be happy that a top level amateur American racer is giving it a go....
PastranaWho
2/24/2020 6:17pm
well we will see how fast he really is this weekend with much tougher competition.
wisey
Fantasy
1380th
2/24/2020 6:17pm
What are the draw backs for turning pro at age 18 or 19?
Robgvx
2/25/2020 1:25am
philG wrote:
Better than wanking about at 'Training Facilities' and riding 5 races a year.. Thankfully Max has someone in his corner who gets it , and sticks...
Better than wanking about at 'Training Facilities' and riding 5 races a year.. Thankfully Max has someone in his corner who gets it , and sticks him behind a gate at every opportunity.

Matterley will Suit him, very fast and open, hope it doesn't rain too much lol
mag23 wrote:
Funny you say that, Tallon insisted on racing this past weekend and the local track. Its was a great race, but I asked if wouldn't be...
Funny you say that, Tallon insisted on racing this past weekend and the local track. Its was a great race, but I asked if wouldn't be better to use time to get ready for the trip... his only response was "we are getting ready" Ha!
philG wrote:
I do feel that riders these days lack race craft , you see it at Lorettas and the Mini O's , fast but no clue how...
I do feel that riders these days lack race craft , you see it at Lorettas and the Mini O's , fast but no clue how to pass.
Its one thing I am thankful for here, is that the kids race.

I think I have said before, I would not be surprised to see him here full time. Decent few rides in EMX125, and a few wildcards in MX2.
+1

At Hawkstone I never saw any rider go wide and square off to go across the ruts in the corners rather than through them.
DeStouwer
2/25/2020 5:59am
If you check his IG you can see him train on some French tracks on a 250 fourstroke.
NorCal1975
2/25/2020 6:36am Edited Date/Time 2/25/2020 8:58am
TerryTV wrote:
Exactly my thoughts. When the ‘kid’ was on a supermini... he was older, taller, and stronger than the competition. If he gets good results in 250...
Exactly my thoughts. When the ‘kid’ was on a supermini... he was older, taller, and stronger than the competition. If he gets good results in 250 B or 250 A.... then I’d understand the hype.
I have seen Max grow up at the tracks here in Nor Cal and have a couple of things to add. I think his families plan has been to take it kind of slow, and I understand his dad is not a huge fan of young kids getting out on a super cross track. He once told me a couple of years ago he envisioned Max starting out in Europe for a couple of years (like he is doing now, at least on a short-term basis). Max also started out riding BMX and I believe he did not start riding motorcycles until he was about 7 (probably part of the take it slow plan). Growing up in Northern California he is a good mud rider, many times he was the last guy out on the track after the rain started coming down. Also, he goes racing ALL of the time, they don't just do the 3 or 4 big races a year. You name the Northern California racing series, he was there, including racing his 85 in the open big bike classes (when they would let him) and usually beating all of the fastest local adults, even when he was only 12 years old at tracks like E-street, Riverfront, Hangtown, etc. I think and hope he will be near the front this weekend, he is a super talented rider.

Some people will not like this, but one other reason that I think some top Americans have gone pro a little later is because of the "S" word. Supercross. It takes longer to develop to an elite level when you have to learn 2 very different racing disciplines. The top American prospects usually start splitting their training time between Supercross and MX when they get into their early to mid-teens, so their MX development gets stunted in my opinion.
philG
2/25/2020 1:00pm
DonM wrote:
Not sure why you keep bringing this kid up and nothing against him but his level is nowhere near a Max Vohland level of a rider....his...
Not sure why you keep bringing this kid up and nothing against him but his level is nowhere near a Max Vohland level of a rider....his LL finishes throughout the years have hovered around 10th or so in his classes he raced but you keep using him as an example of the entire US level of amateur racers....stop trying to make this a US vs GP thing and just be happy that a top level amateur American racer is giving it a go....
I am using him because he is the only other American rider to go to race in EMX 125.. so it tells YOU the level of the class, based on where he finishes in the US. So he finishes 10th at Lorretas, and didn't make the cut in EMX125. He was unlucky , its a competitive class .

I know Max is quicker , the OP asked if there was a chance he didn't qualify, and I quoted the only other rider who could give him a clue, I don't think for a second he wont make the cut , looking at the entry , I expect him to win or be close to, because all the big hitters went to EMX 250.

And if you had read my other posts , you would have read that I am excited to see him here, the same I was to see his dad, his uncle, Bob Moore, Bader Manneh, Trampas Parker, Jimmy Button, Gunner, and the late great Donnie Schmit.

Buzzard167
2/25/2020 1:21pm
DonM wrote:
Exactly!
jeffro503 wrote:

DonM wrote:
Having a 125 in the garage should be MANDATORY.
DonM
2/25/2020 1:59pm
DonM wrote:
Not sure why you keep bringing this kid up and nothing against him but his level is nowhere near a Max Vohland level of a rider....his...
philG wrote:
I am using him because he is the only other American rider to go to race in EMX 125.. so it tells YOU the level of...
I am using him because he is the only other American rider to go to race in EMX 125.. so it tells YOU the level of the class, based on where he finishes in the US. So he finishes 10th at Lorretas, and didn't make the cut in EMX125. He was unlucky , its a competitive class .

I know Max is quicker , the OP asked if there was a chance he didn't qualify, and I quoted the only other rider who could give him a clue, I don't think for a second he wont make the cut , looking at the entry , I expect him to win or be close to, because all the big hitters went to EMX 250.

And if you had read my other posts , you would have read that I am excited to see him here, the same I was to see his dad, his uncle, Bob Moore, Bader Manneh, Trampas Parker, Jimmy Button, Gunner, and the late great Donnie Schmit.

His finishes were in the 85cc classes 2019 was his first year on 125’s I don’t see any results since 2018 super mini at LL...It tells me nothing about the level of the class as most riders regardless of where they are from struggle in their first attempts...
There is a good chance Max could struggle with qualifying as the entire system is new to him and he will have to adjust fast to be competitive...I think he’ll be fine as he is a special talent but many Americans struggle with the system in the GP’s
mag23
2/27/2020 3:47pm

This is pretty cool! TJ Rowen is Max's mechanic... he's a super nice kid that works his ass off, and like any mechanic, gets little recognition. Cheers to this dude!

I can't wait for this weekend, damn I hope Max does well... If it doesn't, it won't be from a lack of effort.
2/27/2020 10:20pm
mag23 wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2020/02/27/407182/s1200_IMG_1825.jpg[/img] This is pretty cool! TJ Rowen is Max's mechanic... he's a super nice kid that works his ass off, and like any mechanic, gets little...

This is pretty cool! TJ Rowen is Max's mechanic... he's a super nice kid that works his ass off, and like any mechanic, gets little recognition. Cheers to this dude!

I can't wait for this weekend, damn I hope Max does well... If it doesn't, it won't be from a lack of effort.
Those bikes are 🔥🔥🔥 hope he kills it this weekend!
roninho
2/28/2020 1:28am Edited Date/Time 2/28/2020 1:31am
DonM wrote:
There’s no series here or proper classes because the factories don’t want them...other than KTM/Husky and Yamaha...Kawasaki, Honda etc.. aren’t signing 8yr olds and there families...
There’s no series here or proper classes because the factories don’t want them...other than KTM/Husky and Yamaha...Kawasaki, Honda etc.. aren’t signing 8yr olds and there families to long term contracts in Europe the way they do in the US....and that is the root of the problem.
Do you think Kawi, Honda and Suz would be on board for forming 125 A and B classes? They have way too much influence over the sanctioning bodies in the US...
Imo it has much more to do with a scheduling issue why there isnt an 125 outdoor class or different type of youth championship.

The EMX 125 class at MAtterley this weekend has:
* two 25 minute practice sessions
* two 25 minute qualifying sessions
* two 30 minute motos

This is great for the riders and their development. But there is no way you can include this in a 1-day format at the outdoors. Sure you can go for the current format of the 125 all stars (?), but what are these kids gonna learn from a couple of laps riding?

Sure i dont think Honda or Kawa has any benefit for a 125cc class, but as we have seen in MXGP its not that they block it.
2/28/2020 3:14am
How 'special' are any of the bikes in EMX125? Presumably the 'works' KTM and Husky ...and GasGas? teams get some trick suspension parts, but do they get engines straight from the factory or are they just modded stockers like i presume the rest of the field ride?

Post a reply to: Max Vohland 125 EMX

The Latest