Matthes this, Matthes that...

SlingShot
Edited Date/Time 2/27/2013 7:35pm
Why is it so many of you put this guy on such a high pedestal?
He was a wrench monkey for a few teams who parlayed his connections into going to work for
MX Action or whoever it was then copied DMXS's show.

Why's he now such a big authority on moto related stuff now days?
|
2/26/2013 5:19pm
Because he provides us with information that we seek. It's the same reason why we lurk around this place even though it can be so vile and disgusting. Fact is, we do learn about things via Matthes and Vital.

Steve works his ass off to provide a great series of podcasts - for free - and I am very thankful for my free information. He gets the scoop on lots of things that are going to happen because he is connected.

Also, he has JT$ and Ping on his podcasts and I think many of us like them too. It's the perfect storm really.

Why do you care so much? Don't like, don't listen.
FlaNard
2/26/2013 5:21pm
He's funny and has raced and wrenched. In an industry full of people who are afraid to act like they enjoy what they do I find it refreshing to have people around with some humor. It's like Ping. Experience combined with humor is welcome in this sport. I agree with Ping far more than Matthes, but like both.
pacetruckdrvr
2/26/2013 5:22pm
Because he provides us with information that we seek. It's the same reason why we lurk around this place even though it can be so vile...
Because he provides us with information that we seek. It's the same reason why we lurk around this place even though it can be so vile and disgusting. Fact is, we do learn about things via Matthes and Vital.

Steve works his ass off to provide a great series of podcasts - for free - and I am very thankful for my free information. He gets the scoop on lots of things that are going to happen because he is connected.

Also, he has JT$ and Ping on his podcasts and I think many of us like them too. It's the perfect storm really.

This
pacetruckdrvr
2/26/2013 5:23pm
FlaNard wrote:
He's funny and has raced and wrenched. In an industry full of people who are afraid to act like they enjoy what they do I find...
He's funny and has raced and wrenched. In an industry full of people who are afraid to act like they enjoy what they do I find it refreshing to have people around with some humor. It's like Ping. Experience combined with humor is welcome in this sport. I agree with Ping far more than Matthes, but like both.
and this.

The Shop

2/26/2013 5:27pm
Personally can't stand the guy, comes off as an attention whore to me. Wish more people would call him out on his "I talked to a nameless insider and the rumor is this...."
oshow
2/26/2013 5:30pm
The show was so much better with Watson to keep him in check. But JT$ and Ping are starting to keep him in line now.
It's a good podcast, he works hard to be heard
RonSkj
Fantasy
129th
2/26/2013 5:41pm
Because he provides us with information that we seek. It's the same reason why we lurk around this place even though it can be so vile...

For free my ass... That app cost me $ 1.99 Cheerful
mxmoron
2/26/2013 6:09pm Edited Date/Time 2/26/2013 6:17pm
SlingShot wrote:
Why is it so many of you put this guy on such a high pedestal? He was a wrench monkey for a few teams who parlayed...
He was a wrench monkey for a few teams who parlayed his connections into going to work for

Matthes has dedicated his life to MX. Are you aware of this? He is totally qualified to report and comment on anything MX. and he has worked very hard to be where he is at.
davistld01
2/26/2013 6:10pm
Personally can't stand the guy, comes off as an attention whore to me. Wish more people would call him out on his "I talked to a...
Personally can't stand the guy, comes off as an attention whore to me. Wish more people would call him out on his "I talked to a nameless insider and the rumor is this...."
Like him or not...he's pretty damn spot-on 90% of the time with his rumors.
CRF505
2/26/2013 6:23pm
Personally can't stand the guy, comes off as an attention whore to me. Wish more people would call him out on his "I talked to a...
But you're a JLaw fan? Now that guy is a waste if we've ever seen one. You sir may need to reassess your role models.

Matthes provides us 2-3 podcasts a week, sometimes more. His material, written or multimedia, are the only ones that take us "behind the scenes". The BTO code on his show has saved me hundreds of dollars. His shows brought us the personalities of Kenny, Ping, JT$, Weigandt, etc. All of the top racers (except Dungey) have appeared on his show within the last year, many of them appear every 8 weeks or so. Except for Matthes' show, is there another way for us the fans to call and speak to our favorite riders and the stars of the sport? Nope. I could go on and on, but fact is, he covers the sport better than anyone out there right now, and probably ever. That's why we like Matthes.
HuskyEd
2/26/2013 6:52pm
Those PulpMX podcasts are a godsend for those of us that have long commutes. Almost makes driving in traffic bearable because you get to hear more of the podcast.Smile

His podcast with Rick "Super Hunky" Sieman was epic.
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4254th
2/26/2013 6:59pm
HuskyEd wrote:
Those PulpMX podcasts are a godsend for those of us that have long commutes. Almost makes driving in traffic bearable because you get to hear more...
Those PulpMX podcasts are a godsend for those of us that have long commutes. Almost makes driving in traffic bearable because you get to hear more of the podcast.Smile

His podcast with Rick "Super Hunky" Sieman was epic.
Amen to that. You don't have to agree with Steve's opinions to respect that he works his ass off and generates a lot of information that's interesting even if it doesn't answer every question some people feel they're entitled to know the answer to.

And the podcasts, especially the interviews (especially the ones with folks who've played roles over the history of the sport) are something no one else is doing, let alone as well as Steve is.
40Plus_922mx
2/26/2013 7:19pm
Steve brings us raw information laced with his own sweet version of sarcasm and humor. All from a superfan perspective. He gets it.

However you can not compare Van Halen with Van Hagar. Two different eras all together. They both rocked hard.
2/26/2013 7:21pm Edited Date/Time 2/26/2013 7:22pm
He is always right 95% of the time?

Seriously, he has a very definite knack for what he is doing. I doubt it is as easy as some of you think. His cast of characters are alway entertaining and most of them have great radio voices. To me, it is one of those productions like 'This Old House' or 'Pawnstars' that I'd probably listen to (or watch) even if I wasn't in-to mx. Great stuff. Are you sure some of you aren't just jealous?
jmb227
2/26/2013 7:38pm
Why do people bitch when matthes tells something thats going on from an unnamed source....
If he tells who the source is then they arent ever going to tell him shit anymore and you wont get to find out about stuff before it happens. It seems like common sense to me.
HuskyEd
2/26/2013 7:46pm
He sure had a lot of shit flung his way when he reported the L & MC team being in trouble. Look where that ended up.Whistling
jeffro503
2/26/2013 8:17pm
FlaNard wrote:
He's funny and has raced and wrenched. In an industry full of people who are afraid to act like they enjoy what they do I find...
This^^

I don't get to listen to often....but when I do , it's a good time.
FlaNard
2/26/2013 8:27pm
He gets a lot of those right. Not many people with the balls to give out the goods for fear of losing access.
IceMan446
2/26/2013 9:11pm
Like Matthes has said many times, people will always talk shit and think he is wrong.

But he keeps doing what he does and people enjoy it.

For the small percentage that don't care for what he does, thats your opinion.

I thoroughly enjoy the podcasts, wrap up shows and the Pulp show.

I do think the shows can be a little long but I always find myself listening to the whole show!
bd
2/26/2013 9:15pm
SlingShot wrote:
Why is it so many of you put this guy on such a high pedestal? He was a wrench monkey for a few teams who parlayed...

He loves the sport.... like the majority of us. We all might bang bars in threads, I would still would meet any vitalmxer out for a cold one.
2/26/2013 9:22pm Edited Date/Time 2/26/2013 9:25pm
The dude is closer to MX and the inside stories then i am.
I listen to him to hear what he knows about thingss and to hear his version of it.
Same reason why i visit this website/forum.

You don't have to agree with or like a person to appreciate what he has to say about things.
GHR
2/26/2013 10:19pm
Matthes does good stuff, and ping has his moments.

I think there are a couple super fans in here that could out word smith all of them.....Wink
Rizzo
2/27/2013 12:06am
SlingShot wrote:

He did parlay his mechanic career into what it is now, but he was a Parts Unlimited rep then Racer X(perhaps you've heard of them) then Transworld and back to Racer X. He basically put podcasts on the map in the MX world, nobody else was doing them and that along with his "Observations" column is what brought him back to where he is today. His "Bottom Line" show during the outdoors was very popular and he spent money out of his own pocket to help produce it, but of course, you don't know any of that.

It would be hard to find a bigger MX fan out there and he gets industry people from top to bottom to comment on things that other journalists have not and he's not a here today-gone tomorrow guy like others that have strolled through the industry or the forums. If you think you can do better, go ahead, but until then STFU. When RV or Reed or JS7 are calling you to give you a story from the weekend, feel free to let us know, then stream it on your FREE LIVE weekly internet show along with the FREE website along with the FREE archive and don't forget to provide the TOLL FREE # to call into as well and speak with those superstars. You're a clueless tool that clearly hasn't earned a damn thing in your respective hobby, let alone made it your passion and turned that into a career.
Crush
2/27/2013 12:20am
SlingShot wrote:

Thats up there on the most ignorant MX newbie posts I've read here...
fullfloater
Fantasy
13th
2/27/2013 12:31am Edited Date/Time 2/27/2013 12:33am
OP: You say that like he has no credibility. He's a Manitoba Champ!
jock
Fantasy
1st
2/27/2013 1:53am
SlingShot wrote:

He is the Gretzky of moto podcasts, and you?
Looking forward to your new show next week, what was it called again?
mccread
2/27/2013 3:43am
I think Steve has been a breath of fresh air in the media industry. Whether you agree with his opinions or not he gives debate and brought a sense of humour with his writing as well. His race wrap up podcasts are brilliant too.

Post a reply to: Matthes this, Matthes that...

The Latest