Matthes said....

Related:
Create New Tag

3/30/2010 3:02 PM

I'm bored at work and thought I'd check out Transworld, no not the tranny site but the mx one... Matthes said....

Call me completely nuts but I don’t think the Glen Helen thing is dead quite yet. Some powerful people behind the scenes are working hard to make sure that the two sides come together. It might be too late for that though.


My inbox and Twitter account (pulpmx) filled up with people asking me what I thought of this deal with Glen Helen and MX Sports falling apart and it was certainly the talk of the pits this weekend with the riders and teams. It does suck that Michael Byrne has to move a wedding and that Ryan Sipes has a house-boat trip planned that weekend (I know, not on the scale of a wedding but still, it’s a drunken house-boat trip! Those are fun.) but the way I look at it is that if anyone out there goes to all 12 nationals, you can see that 11 of them are the same and one is not (isn’t that a Sesame Street rhyme?)

Steve Cox told a good story on the Moto Show yesterday as to the above point as well. It seems that when he owned MXI Magazine, he was able to buy a booth at Glen Helen for the magazine when, at that point only Racer X and Cycle News were allowed to vend at the nationals. Now you can argue the pros and cons of selling exclusive media (or anything for that matter) at a series that needs all the exposure it can get but the point is that there were rules and GH just didn’t care. (This isn’t ‘Nam Walter) That basically sums up Glen Helen national and if I was MX Sports and I had everyone on-board and rowing one way but some jack-ass was in the back and rowing the other way, I’d throw them overboard as well.
Right or wrong, we all have to get on-board with one entity calling the shots and just trust that they know what they’re doing. That’s what I think anyways



That statement makes me like Glen Helen even more.
Sounds like Glen Helen wants to let more media in, while the powers that were and are in charge now, want to exclude...

I also read where he tried to explain himself to Josh Hill. Matthes basically said he makes fun of everyone, including himself. While I do agree he takes shots at himself, I haven't really heard much from him about DC, John Ayres, Reed, Villopoto, and Dungey.


|

3/30/2010 3:06 PM

Why would he need to explain himself to Josh Hill ?

|

3/30/2010 3:08 PM

Actually Trip, you're misreading his point.
It's not about "letting more media in" it's about not being a team player and going against the grain. GH joined the NPG, and within that group there were/are guidelines and rules, if one member chooses to ignore those rules and guidelines, where does that leave the organization and its members?

"You're either with us, or a'gin us"

GH chose quite often it seems to be "a'gin us"

and that is well known

|





This great Nation will endure as it has endured, will revive and will prosper. So, first of all, let me assert my firm belief that the only thing we have to fear is fear itself. - FDR



[LINK TO IMAGE]
"Grant money is not pork" - Rep Allen West

3/30/2010 3:13 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/17/2016 9:46 PM

500guy wrote:

Why would he need to explain himself to Josh Hill ?

Jesus Christ Jay, He shouldnt because Josh is a piece of shit like Jason & Hanny??
Are you the fucking character judge for all the pro riders?

|

3/30/2010 3:15 PM

500guy wrote:

Why would he need to explain himself to Josh Hill ?

MxDaD324 wrote:

Jesus Christ Jay, He shouldnt because Josh is a piece of shit like Jason & Hanny??
Are you the fucking character judge for all the pro riders?

What's that fucking mean ?

Matthes writes his opinion why does he need to justify his opinion.

|

3/30/2010 3:18 PM

The PulpMX server is down and can't download the recent show?

|

3/30/2010 3:20 PM

i thought the only issue was "the length of the contract"

|

3/30/2010 3:23 PM

Dave, imo, the NPG is a joke!! They have no power of the races at their facilities. Did Glen Helen "join" the NPG or where they there from the start?

I see how it was written and I know what he is saying. I'm just thinking the other way on it.

I'm thinking Glen Helen had the right idea though. Mx Sports says all tracks have to have this big bike washing station. Glen Helen does it, no other track did, so then Mx Sports says, you don't have to have it cause no other track did. Remember SlowPro talking about having to move his trailer, cause they needed this bike washing area where his trailer was?

All this exclusiveness (is that even a word) is whats ruining the sport.

|

3/30/2010 3:24 PM

I think Cox's story relates to the situation a couple years ago at least. And I think it's a case of GH taking his money, not restricting media access to tell the story

Anyway, by the looks of the booths and banners for the last couple years, pretty much everyone has access for commercial promotion.

There's never been an issue of limits on media access editorially as far as I know.

So, you'll have to find another stretch to make to be disgruntled about.

|

Twitter: @ftemoto
Instagram: @mstusiak

3/30/2010 3:25 PM

Trip, do you give Matthes more credit for his reporting now, after we seen team Alessi in action on TV then you did when he reported that stuff about Suzuki and Alessi? Or are you still thinking he is a crappy media guy that doesn't get all the facts about what he is reporting and oust his sources? lol wink

|

"I think you're pretty slow, everyone else on here knew that for years."

3/30/2010 3:25 PM

Just keep this in mind...and it will answer a lot of your questions...

"You're either with us, or you're a'gin us"



|





This great Nation will endure as it has endured, will revive and will prosper. So, first of all, let me assert my firm belief that the only thing we have to fear is fear itself. - FDR



[LINK TO IMAGE]
"Grant money is not pork" - Rep Allen West

3/30/2010 3:28 PM

There is a fine line with him. He does write opinion pieces, but he also is a reporter. the line is sometimes blurred with him. I'm sure it not that comfortable for him to see the guys he gives his opinion on, on a weekly basis.

|

3/30/2010 3:29 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/30/2010 3:37 PM

Trip, do you realize that Transworld MX and Cycle News and Motocross Action and Dirt Rider have all been partners or sponsors of the series the last few years? You do you realize that I was the one who opened the media to other outlets AFTER we took over the Cycle News' contract to do programs, but only after Cycle News asked us to? And that GH asked me if I cared if MXi was in there and I said absolutely not, let him in. And you do realize that Hi-Torque has always had a full hospitality setting there, before and after Racer X got involved...



Look, I understand that you hate the Glen Helen situation, but you're going to have to study these things more before you start making ludicrous implications like you are now.



DC

MX Sports

|

3/30/2010 3:31 PM

Trip wrote:

There is a fine line with him. He does write opinion pieces, but he also is a reporter. the line is sometimes blurred with him. I'm sure it not that comfortable for him to see the guys he gives his opinion on, on a weekly basis.

you did not just call nerd a reporter did you?

|

3/30/2010 3:32 PM

flarider wrote:

Just keep this in mind...and it will answer a lot of your questions...

"You're either with us, or you're a'gin us"



FU dave

|

3/30/2010 3:33 PM

dude, no matter how much you bitch, it isnt going to change the fact! GH could have signed, but didnt........ end of story!

|

3/30/2010 3:36 PM

One other thing: You do realize that my father started the NPG in 1998, and that the NPG is not actually a business or union, but rather a cooperative group that exchanges ideas and information on how to make their individual events better, by working together as a series?

DC
MX Sports

|

3/30/2010 3:38 PM

flarider wrote:

Just keep this in mind...and it will answer a lot of your questions...

"You're either with us, or you're a'gin us"



BK wrote:

FU dave

Dammit BK!

|





This great Nation will endure as it has endured, will revive and will prosper. So, first of all, let me assert my firm belief that the only thing we have to fear is fear itself. - FDR



[LINK TO IMAGE]
"Grant money is not pork" - Rep Allen West

3/30/2010 3:39 PM

Regis wrote:

Trip, do you give Matthes more credit for his reporting now, after we seen team Alessi in action on TV then you did when he reported that stuff about Suzuki and Alessi? Or are you still thinking he is a crappy media guy that doesn't get all the facts about what he is reporting and oust his sources? lol wink

I haven't seen the Fuel TV show, so I don't know how it all played out on TV. Not knowing what went on in the shows, I really can't comment. My daughter was watching it one day and I did catch Tony saying the universe will get Josh Grant, I thought that was funny. Other than that I haven't seen anything else. I will say he picks his targets carefully though.

Knowing some of the facts and seeing how things are going today, I still thinks he needs to get both sides of the story if he has a chance to.. The Alessi thing was blown out. There were a bunch of half truths in his Alessi story.

Matthes did say that there are some pretty powerful people still trying to get Glen Helen at least a final race. Yet in another piece he wrote everyone hates Glen Helen. I am reading alot more of him these days because I actually like Transworlds site. He does appear to talk out of both sides of his mouth. Mike is out at KTM and going Blue. Mike burned all his bridges... Jason losing all his sponsors... So far none of those are true.

|

3/30/2010 3:40 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/30/2010 3:41 PM

DC wrote:

One other thing: You do realize that my father started the NPG in 1998, and that the NPG is not actually a business or union, but rather a cooperative group that exchanges ideas and information on how to make their individual events better, by working together as a series?

DC
MX Sports

people only believe what they want to believe on here...... sad but true....

|

3/30/2010 3:44 PM

He has talked about Reed and said he used to do a bit of drinking or something along those lines. He also makes fun of RV2 for being so angry. I'm not particularly a fan of Dungey but from what I can tell theres not much bad things to say about the guy.

|

3/30/2010 3:53 PM

DC wrote:

Trip, do you realize that Transworld MX and Cycle News and Motocross Action and Dirt Rider have all been partners or sponsors of the series the last few years? You do you realize that I was the one who opened the media to other outlets AFTER we took over the Cycle News' contract to do programs, but only after Cycle News asked us to? And that GH asked me if I cared if MXi was in there and I said absolutely not, let him in. And you do realize that Hi-Torque has always had a full hospitality setting there, before and after Racer X got involved...



Look, I understand that you hate the Glen Helen situation, but you're going to have to study these things more before you start making ludicrous implications like you are now.



DC

MX Sports

DC, I remember Nerd coming on this board and saying how cool it was that you opened things up for him and others to get a booth at the nationals., I applauded you then. He used to post alot on here before he went to work for you and you banned him from this place.. LOL.. well that was the rumor anyway..

I'm not making anything up, all I did was post what Matthes wrote, and he made it sound like Glen Helen went behind the promoters back to give MXi a booth at Glen Helen. Maybe I read wrong? I did not know if Glen Helen was a part of the NPG when it first started, or did they join later??

I'm over Glen Helen not having a national, I'm not over the way the whole thing was handled. You gave in depth coverage of a "red arrow" a weekago, and just glossed right over the Glen Helen issue. Your writers are quick to say this and that about a riders contract when "silly season" comes around, but you don't feel the need to to talk about your own contracts??

|

3/30/2010 3:58 PM

FreshTopEnd wrote:

I think Cox's story relates to the situation a couple years ago at least. And I think it's a case of GH taking his money, not restricting media access to tell the story

Anyway, by the looks of the booths and banners for the last couple years, pretty much everyone has access for commercial promotion.

There's never been an issue of limits on media access editorially as far as I know.

So, you'll have to find another stretch to make to be disgruntled about.

So did MXi go behind the promoters back to get a booth at Glen Helen or not??? That's what the issue is. DC said no, but Matthes makes it sound like that's what happened.

I'm not disgruntled, I said I was bored at work and came across something Matthes wrote..

|

3/30/2010 3:59 PM

DC wrote:

Trip, do you realize that Transworld MX and Cycle News and Motocross Action and Dirt Rider have all been partners or sponsors of the series the last few years? You do you realize that I was the one who opened the media to other outlets AFTER we took over the Cycle News' contract to do programs, but only after Cycle News asked us to? And that GH asked me if I cared if MXi was in there and I said absolutely not, let him in. And you do realize that Hi-Torque has always had a full hospitality setting there, before and after Racer X got involved...



Look, I understand that you hate the Glen Helen situation, but you're going to have to study these things more before you start making ludicrous implications like you are now.



DC

MX Sports

"ludicrous implications"

Someone got the word of the day toilet paper!

|

3/30/2010 4:01 PM

DC wrote:

One other thing: You do realize that my father started the NPG in 1998, and that the NPG is not actually a business or union, but rather a cooperative group that exchanges ideas and information on how to make their individual events better, by working together as a series?

DC
MX Sports

Who is in charge of the NPG??

|

3/30/2010 4:04 PM

Since when have intimate rider contract details been spelled out in the media?

|

HAF

3/30/2010 4:09 PM

This is definitely a hot topic. People have to realize that with the sport continuing to grow, that disagreements and arguments will happen more frequently. As for Matthes, he always has his own opinion which he is entitled to right??? Sometimes he has gone over the line, but in all reality, who hasn't? Losing GH sucks, but its not the end of the world.

|

You’re gonna love this neighborhood, every house here recycles.

3/30/2010 4:09 PM

So Matthes is a hack journalist until he happens to write something that you can twist to suit your agenda then he is the source of the ultimate truth.

What the fuck man.....

|

3/30/2010 4:11 PM

Trip, just as an FYI, I'm considering changing your name to Watchdog Troupe. wink

|

3/30/2010 4:14 PM

jndmx wrote:

So Matthes is a hack journalist until he happens to write something that you can twist to suit your agenda then he is the source of the ultimate truth.

What the fuck man.....

Again, just asking a question.. Was he or was he not saying that MXi was able to secure a booth without the approval of the promoter??? Not twisting anything, my opinion of him hasn't changed. He just happend to write something and I questioned it.. No agenda on this one, I just thought I ask. I also mentioned he was trying to explain his job to Josh Hill, how is that an agenda??

|