Matthes podcast with Cole Gress.. wow.

Related:
Create New Tag

3/23/2018 5:13 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/23/2018 5:20 AM

No AC on 450 in 19.

Savagty will point out, and AP23 is the other big name 250 rider also moving up and will be a free agent. I imagine Savagty moves over to Kawi, but who knows as a lot of teams will have slots.

Zacho also moving up, already has full 450 deal for 19 in place with same team, will ride 450 outdoors this summer.

I think the podcast was in the top 5 for me; interesting insight into how the relationship with the people who write the checks and Cole having to balance the kids, families, sponsorship budgets and so forth. Having worked in a similar role of talent identification/evaluation in another sport, it's getting crazier and crazier with parents now-a-days, and I have all the respect for the people making those decisions.

|

3/23/2018 7:02 AM

miketherider wrote:

No AC on 450 in 19.

Savagty will point out, and AP23 is the other big name 250 rider also moving up and will be a free ...more

Back in the good old days, the best and brightest in the small bike class would spend three years there before moving up. Back in the good old days racers had an incentive to move to the big bike class, as little bike compensation wasn't very good.

It seems the rules are changing by the year to allow 250 riders to stay put, earn great money, and race a bunch of 16-21 year-olds for which the class was intended.

My how the times have changed...

We cannot blame the riders for doing what is best from a financial perspective, but if the 250 class is to remain a regional championship designed to allow the future starts of the sport to gain experience and exposure, something needs to change to nudge the best and brightest to the 450 class.

|

"Thank God my father wasn't rich."
-Hurricane

"You wouldn't take clay to Southwick, so why take sand to Red Bud?"
-DV

"I ride a two-stroke because I am Weigandt-level cheap"
-Me

3/23/2018 7:18 AM

Guys, back on track.

Have a long drive coming soon.

What are your favorite Moto podcast episodes and links

Pulp
DeadMotocrossers
..anything else.

|

3/23/2018 7:20 AM

Bry145 wrote:

Back in the good old days, the best and brightest in the small bike class would spend three years there before moving up. Back ...more

Who would you kick out of 450 rides to make room? Wilson, Mookie, Tickle, Bowers, Friese, Grant? How is pushing these guys out of the sport good for the sport.

|

3/23/2018 7:39 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/23/2018 7:40 AM

yzinger wrote:

Guys, back on track.

Have a long drive coming soon.

What are your favorite Moto podcast episodes and links

Pulp
...more

PulpMX Show Episode 100... Non stop laughs from start to finish! By the last hour everyone is so buzzed on Red Bull and Vodkas that they're all just yelling trying to tell another hilarious story over top of the other guys

PulpMX Show 139 (Lazer Gate / Tony Alessi calls in and loses his mind)

Some of my personal favorite Steve Matthes Show interviews: Grant Langston Part 1 & 2, Dave Arnold, Jim Holley, Vanilla Ice, Randy Richardson, Jeff Emig, Dave Despain.... and sooo many more...

|

Positively, absolutely 110% obsessed with anything MOTO.

3/23/2018 7:47 AM

miketherider wrote:

No AC on 450 in 19.

Savagty will point out, and AP23 is the other big name 250 rider also moving up and will be a free ...more

Bry145 wrote:

Back in the good old days, the best and brightest in the small bike class would spend three years there before moving up. Back ...more

early wrote:

Who would you kick out of 450 rides to make room? Wilson, Mookie, Tickle, Bowers, Friese, Grant? How is pushing these guys out ...more

First person I would kick them out for is reed(will win again)....then plessinger (red bull ktm450 in
2019) Forkner IS A Weapon and I would like to see the option of Weimer, mookie etc back in 250s.
Ac in his midget form from when he first got transitioned to pro is the weirdest thing ive seen. He was untouchable. ..then he was really fast ...its amazing but not what was expected.

|

3/23/2018 7:55 AM

early wrote:

Who would you kick out of 450 rides to make room? Wilson, Mookie, Tickle, Bowers, Friese, Grant? How is pushing these guys out ...more

Advance the best and brightest to the 450 class.

Keep the 250 East and West for young up and coming racers to gain Supercross experience. This is the intention of the class. If that has changed, so be it and let the 250s run 17 rounds. If 250 racers are making good money and bonuses, that is adequate compensation to race 17 rounds.

Let the best 22 450 riders qualify and race.

Those who cannot do well enough to earn and keep a ride can go at it as a privateer, race in Europe, or find a new career.

It is good for the sport to advance 250 riders to make room for rookies for whom the class was intended. It should not be a priority to keep established guys on 250s to protect the pecking order in the 450 class.

If 250 guys move up and push older guys out of good rides, that is the nature of competition. 450 rides should go to the best performing racers, regardless of age, name recognition, past results, ect. This is how capitalism works.

One cannot race professionally forever. One of the guys you mentioned above turned pro in 2004. That was quite a long time ago, and that rider has made millions and had a good career. Should we keep guys in the 250 class so 450 guys can have an easier time getting support and have 15+ year careers? No.

|

-Hurricane

-DV

-Me

3/23/2018 8:41 AM

Bry145 wrote:

Hypergamy (or trading up to a partner with more resources) is a problem in society. I'm not saying this happened here. I'm ...more

Thanks, now all I have is a case of buyer's remorse. Your post is inflammatory, outrageous, and true.

The trophy wife sitting across from me is asking why I'm giving her the stink eye...

tongue

|

3/23/2018 9:22 AM

Conkey wrote:

Whatever happened to Michael Young? Seems like his career took a detour when she divorced him and married a younger RV. Lost ...more

Bry145 wrote:

Hypergamy (or trading up to a partner with more resources) is a problem in society. I'm not saying this happened here. I'm ...more

Brent wrote:

Thanks, now all I have is a case of buyer's remorse. Your post is inflammatory, outrageous, and true.

The trophy wife sitting ...more

The good news is hypergamy isn't sustainable in the long term. As women do better and better in the workforce there are less and less single males to "trade-up" to. And those single males can pick and choose from younger women who are tickled pink to have a mature guy with some $$$ and not a 25 year old dud who still lives at home.

It will all come to a head around 2025 or so when Gen. Y females are past marrying and reproductive age. And of course at this point we will also have huge generational turnover in the workforce.

All the while I'll be working an enjoyable, low-stress job, motoing down, golfing, living frugally, and not having a care or worry in the world.

I wish married males luck, but do not want to join the group. No wife, happy life.

|

-Hurricane

-DV

-Me

3/23/2018 11:39 AM

Bry145 wrote:

Brent wrote:

The trophy wife sitting ...more

Bry145 wrote:

The good news is hypergamy isn't sustainable in the long term. As women do better and better in the workforce there are less ...more

PM him the book. Red pills unite! ?

|

3/23/2018 11:46 AM

F150Motocrosser wrote:

PulpMX Show Episode 100... Non stop laughs from start to finish! By the last hour everyone is so buzzed on Red Bull and Vodkas ...more

Pulp Show 243 with Danny Stephenson and Ping is gold.

Under "Steve Matthes Show on RacerX", SX Review of St. Louis was pretty funny and the 1990 SX Review under the RacerX is interesting, especially since Chicken didn't remember any of it.

All of the Soundcheck episodes are pretty good too, if you're into the music end of things.

|

3/23/2018 12:00 PM

miketherider wrote:

Pulp Show 243 with Danny Stephenson and Ping is gold.

Under "Steve Matthes Show on RacerX", SX Review of St. Louis was ...more

Marx needs to make a supercut of all the times RV has been on the show since he retired.

|

3/23/2018 7:07 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/23/2018 7:08 PM

Brent wrote:

Cole seems like a pretty sharp guy, it figures that Suzuki screwed him over, as it is common knowledge that the Japanese ...more

STLSharky wrote:

Rumor or not I don't know, I Heard he was homewrecking down south in Texas with a Suzuki amateur prodigies
Mom while the dad ...more

numba1 fan wrote:

Who was the Suzuki rider? I’m curious. Maybe he felt like since it happened to him he wanted to do it back to someone. Messed ...more

What is the beef between Tomac and AC?

|

3/23/2018 7:35 PM

brocsdad wrote:

What is the beef between Tomac and AC?

Maybe hiring AC would be a message to Tomac that Kawi sees his time at the front of the pack coming to an end soon. This is Tomac's 9th season. He may not be able to endure the grind much longer.

He may be able to run up front for another 4 years, but he may be getting worn out. This outdoor season will be a good test with JA, MM, KR, and ZO giving chase for the title.

|

-Hurricane

-DV

-Me

3/24/2018 11:40 AM

The absolute best podcast to listen to for single episodes are the 2 that Stankdog does on Mainevent Moto. The stories of racing in Mexico and the time they gave the straight and narrow dude in AX some weed cookies is classic!
I was in tears both episodes and have listened to them more than once. moto podcast gold!

|