Matthes podcast with Cole Gress.. wow.

3/16/2018 4:30am Edited Date/Time 3/24/2018 11:40am
Holy shit what an interview.. Cole Gress is the dude who ran Suzuki's amateur program and basically farmed everyone from Millsaps to Dungey and was also responsible for the partnerships with Makita and Rockstar before Suzuki shit canned him. He sounds like a smart dude but also sounds like he may of thrown back a few shots of liquid courage before doing this pod, as he doesn't hold back anything and goes straight TMZ style sharing dirt and details about everything from the crazy version of Tony Alessi to Colleen Millsaps to the shit show that was JLaw, Izzi and the Bills Pipes team.

This, is a must listen. http://pulpmx.com/podcast/guest-cole-gress-2/

In his time running Suzuki’s amateur motocross for years, Cole recounts some memories of picking up Davi Millsaps, trying to get Mike Alessi, what went wrong with J Law and Izzi, his thoughts on Suzuki now, being let go and much more
|
JRT812
3/16/2018 4:43am
Can’t wait!
3/16/2018 5:38am
Thanks for the tip, I have a 3 hour drive each way to a race tomorrow. This should kill the first hour.
jtiger12
3/16/2018 5:56am
I listened up to the mtf tractor contract yesterday. Good one so far. Funny listening to him talk. Smart dude who has been around, but he sounds like this guy..

slowgti
3/16/2018 6:16am
The guy doesn't get a paycheck from the moto industry and tells it how he see's it. I dig it

The Shop

JRT812
3/16/2018 6:52am
Just excellent. Definitely one of the better episodes
toomanykaws
3/16/2018 7:05am
Matthes has it when it comes to interviewing. Anyone who has the time or needs to pass the time. Go back through his classics section. Download the riders from the 80s and 90s. Mechanics. Team managers. You will get a whole new respect and picture of what MX and SX was. Lot of them you will want to hear more than once.
rhargrave431
3/16/2018 7:06am
jtiger12 wrote:
I listened up to the mtf tractor contract yesterday. Good one so far. Funny listening to him talk. Smart dude who has been around, but he...
I listened up to the mtf tractor contract yesterday. Good one so far. Funny listening to him talk. Smart dude who has been around, but he sounds like this guy..

Haha. I was thinking he sounded like that Mechanic off of Motocrossed
KennyT
Fantasy
479th
3/16/2018 7:40am
Can someone help an old man out. I’m not into the podcast as I really have no idea where to go and what to look for. These links are easy for me to click n listen to.
The first one I listened to was the tony Alessi and I thought that was great.

So do you download pulp MX and then search for podcast? I use a iPhone. Any help would be appreciated and I know I must sound like a Effin idiot. I can build a house but technology has me stumped
OW38B
Fantasy
148th
3/16/2018 7:48am Edited Date/Time 3/16/2018 7:50am
KennyT wrote:
Can someone help an old man out. I’m not into the podcast as I really have no idea where to go and what to look for...
Can someone help an old man out. I’m not into the podcast as I really have no idea where to go and what to look for. These links are easy for me to click n listen to.

So do you download pulp MX and then search for podcast? I use a iPhone. Any help would be appreciated and I know I must sound like a Effin idiot. I can build a house but technology has me stumped
KT - here is a direct link to other list of podcasts on PulpMX

http://pulpmx.com/podcasts/

There is also a pulpmx app for IOS if that would be easier... for a few bucks.
KennyT
Fantasy
479th
3/16/2018 7:56am
KennyT wrote:
Can someone help an old man out. I’m not into the podcast as I really have no idea where to go and what to look for...

OW38B wrote:
KT - here is a direct link to other list of podcasts on PulpMX http://pulpmx.com/podcasts/ There is also a pulpmx app for IOS if that would...
KT - here is a direct link to other list of podcasts on PulpMX

http://pulpmx.com/podcasts/

There is also a pulpmx app for IOS if that would be easier... for a few bucks.
I appreciate that. I have hours of dental work over the next few months and want to load up some of these podcast to make the time n the chair for by quickly. I will opt for that app, anything to make things easier is worth a few bucks.

Thanks so much!
JRT812
3/16/2018 8:19am
KennyT wrote:

The purple podcast icon on your iPhone is where you need to be. Looks like a signal been in White with a purple background. The search function is on the bottom right corner. Search for Pulp within the app and you will see all sorts of stuff ranging from the classic volumes, fly racing 60 show, pulp mx show, etc. click subscribe and they will automatically download when the new show has been added. Fool proof and the best free way to do it. I never have any issues.

Good luck on the dental work!
3/16/2018 8:25am
KennyT wrote:

Kenny, on your iPhone look for the purple icon that says Podcasts. If you don't see the icon, try swiping down and searching for it. Once you're in the Podcast app, click search, and type Steve Matthes. Click on The Steve Matthes Show. From there, you should see a button to SUBSCRIBE (if you wish). You should see the most recent episodes in there. Now here's the real golden nugget: search for Steve Matthes Classics. There's Vol 1, Vol 2, and Vol 3. These archives provide endless content of amazing interviews Steve has been doing over the last 10 years with everyone you can think of in the sport from past and present. Get this far, and I'll be happy to recommend my personal favorites!! It's quite a glorious rabbit hole to go down. Aside from listening to them while driving in the car or working on bikes in the garage, I like popping in my ear buds when I lay down to go to sleep and listening to them as I doze off. GREAT stuff
LumpDog841
3/16/2018 8:52am
KennyT wrote:

I also find stitcher to be helpful if I'm not on my phone. If you like technical stuff go back and listen to his interview with Dave Arnold. Also Sean Hamblin one is also great.

https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/the-steve-matthes-show

https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/steve-matthes/the-pulpmxcom-show
KennyT
Fantasy
479th
3/16/2018 11:46am
KennyT wrote:

LumpDog841 wrote:
I also find stitcher to be helpful if I'm not on my phone. If you like technical stuff go back and listen to his interview with...
I also find stitcher to be helpful if I'm not on my phone. If you like technical stuff go back and listen to his interview with Dave Arnold. Also Sean Hamblin one is also great.

https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/the-steve-matthes-show

https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/steve-matthes/the-pulpmxcom-show
Thanks for all the tips guys. I’m all set up and I listened to the Cole interview this morning....time flew by at work! I get a little burnt out on music all day long and now I’ve got a great option. I appreciate all the tips!
Conkey
3/16/2018 12:25pm
Bill's Pipes might have been a shit show but Matthes should have asked Cole about the WBR Rockstar team. That seemed like an epic clusterfuck.
3/16/2018 2:41pm
KennyT wrote:
Thanks for all the tips guys. I’m all set up and I listened to the Cole interview this morning....time flew by at work! I get a...
Thanks for all the tips guys. I’m all set up and I listened to the Cole interview this morning....time flew by at work! I get a little burnt out on music all day long and now I’ve got a great option. I appreciate all the tips!
The podcasts really do make the work day go by much faster. I'm bored out of my mind if I forget my ear buds.
Drtbykr
3/16/2018 3:34pm
I’m loving this, thanks.
boston_jorj
3/16/2018 5:03pm
Listening now. Juicy.
FastEddy
Fantasy
955th
3/16/2018 5:34pm Edited Date/Time 3/16/2018 5:36pm
Great podcast. I enjoyed it,some good stuff. Laughing
Cole's talladega nights quote about the parents was hilarious.Laughing
And about JLaw too "he was like a serial killer". Laughing
3/16/2018 5:49pm
I got a good chuckle out of the part where he talks about getting called into the meeting with the top Suzuki brass and he was like “there were Japanese people there I didn’t even know existed!” Grinning
3/16/2018 5:51pm
and how about the part about Eli being anti AC??? Whole slew of fun facts in this interview that the parties involved would of probably rather left untold
avidchimp
Fantasy
1102nd
3/16/2018 6:48pm
Cole is super good people, and this podcast proves it. So open and honest about the shit show this sport I love can be.
FastEddy
Fantasy
955th
3/16/2018 6:52pm
and how about the part about Eli being anti AC??? Whole slew of fun facts in this interview that the parties involved would of probably rather...
and how about the part about Eli being anti AC??? Whole slew of fun facts in this interview that the parties involved would of probably rather left untold
Yeah ,the quote about the Japanese brass was funny.
I felt bad for him though...why they fired him.
Seemed like Suzuki dropped the ball on things and he was just informing someone in a personal way about it.

And yeah...
I didnt know there was any animosity between Tomac & AC in those days either.
Good stuff.

redrider400
3/16/2018 10:59pm
The content was great. But that dude was hard to listen to. I think he said "ya know" about 1737 times.
3/16/2018 11:17pm
It sounds like he backstabbed Suzuki!
I don’t get how they expected him to retain/“sign” riders, without giving him the funding or a budget for contracts ???
3/17/2018 12:08am
KennyT wrote:

kenny, since you have an iphone just use the “podcasts” app that’s already on your phone from apple. search pulpmx and steve matthes show

it’s literally as simple as that

you’ll be wondering how it was 3 finger clicks away all this time and you hadn’t used it!!!!
shuggs
3/17/2018 12:33am
Anyone else think it could have gone on for a lot longer, he must have a lot more stories to tell
3/17/2018 1:55am
interesting that RV2s wife was an Answer rep and now he’s a brand ambassador there.

(i did hear that correctly right? sounded like cole was saying “Villopoto” weird...like villoPOTo)

so many cool stories. idk what about it all makes it so interesting but it is. and i’ve been saying that stuff they were saying about izzi stroupe and lawrence for years. it’s not just about being fast, it’s about being an intelligent, respectful adult who knows how to grow as a person

i have been worried about Forkner for some reason until recently. i remember watching some live videos he did on instagram and just wondering “WTF!!!” this is all going to his head!

imo the best thing to happen to him is Chase Sexton. i think Sexton cleared forkners head a bit real quick and gave him a reality check

Post a reply to: Matthes podcast with Cole Gress.. wow.

The Latest