Matthes opinion of Washougal

Related:
Create New Tag

7/30/2019 4:37 AM

Early in the podcast Matthes calls Washougal "a good track not a great track". What say the masses?

Washougal Good or Great?

View Results

|

7/30/2019 4:40 AM

Don't worry about voting Crush, you've never been there.

|

7/30/2019 4:45 AM

EZZA 95B wrote:

Don't worry about voting Crush, you've never been there.

Yeah I've never heard any riders say the dirt sucks either!

|

Cheers, Crush
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


7/30/2019 4:47 AM

Just from a couch point of view the place is absolutely beautiful. And that's a spectators POV, but as a racer with the shadows and slick dirt that keeps it from being great in my opinion for what that's worth. But I'd love to ride it lol.

|

7/30/2019 4:49 AM

For the record... It's awesome!

Love Muddy Creek and Hangtown for the exact same reasons, when the conditions aren't drop the clutch bro it's cool to watch those guys get after it.

|

Cheers, Crush
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


7/30/2019 4:53 AM

Washougal is a great track, and top 2 or 3 Nationals track.

|

7/30/2019 5:21 AM

Pulp is a good not a great podcast.

|

7/30/2019 5:22 AM

motomike137 wrote:

Early in the podcast Matthes calls Washougal "a good track not a great track". What say the masses?

You need to add a few options. One needs to be that "Matthes needs to say some silly stuff now and then to help keep up the listenership......."

|

7/30/2019 5:51 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/30/2019 5:51 AM

Washougal is the Monaco of motocross. Beautiful, historic, and provides close racing because you can't pass for shit (unless you're an alien).

|

7/30/2019 6:10 AM

I’ve only watched from afar, but was never a big fan. This year it seemed the best I’ve ever seen it though. I guess if I compared to other tracks I would say it’s definitely good, but not great. *Based on TV viewing. Only been to Lakewood (old and current), old Castle Rock track and Budd’s Creek.
In no particular order I’d rate Unadilla, Budds Creek, Glen Helen, Red Bud, Southwick and Millville above Washougal. I’m probably giving Unadilla too much credit as it’s nowhere near as appealing to me now as compared to years ago.

|

7/30/2019 6:23 AM

I've been to all the tracks on this year's schedule except for Fox Raceway, Indiana and WW Ranch. It's a great track.

|

7/30/2019 7:12 AM

Honestly, if you're just judging the track itself and not the facility, it's great. However, having been to multiple tracks which include Washougal, Redbud, Milleville, and Ironman throughout the years, the facility is only good. Traffic getting into and out of the track is horrendous. I know it's due to location but it could be improved. Viewing is okay but the shade is nice. If you like to enjoy an adult beverage also, you better be ready to feel like a caged animal as they have a small square fenced area where beverages are only allowed. It's was just not a convenient facility compared to the other tracks I've been to and I'd put the other three well ahead of it which in my opinion are great.

|

7/30/2019 8:11 AM

kxf250f176 wrote:

Honestly, if you're just judging the track itself and not the facility, it's great. However, having been to multiple tracks which include Washougal, Redbud, Milleville, and Ironman throughout the years, the facility is only good. Traffic getting into and out of the track is horrendous. I know it's due to location but it could be improved. Viewing is okay but the shade is nice. If you like to enjoy an adult beverage also, you better be ready to feel like a caged animal as they have a small square fenced area where beverages are only allowed. It's was just not a convenient facility compared to the other tracks I've been to and I'd put the other three well ahead of it which in my opinion are great.

I get your opinion about some of the inconveniences. I am pretty old school when it comes down to it and the ambience of the race track itself means a ton to me and I can't include the hassles as part of my rating. The layout and the setting are paramount in my mind and to me Washougal has character in spades. They seem to have really been tuning on the track also. I read somewhere in some comments on another thread that they have brought alot of mixed material in to build the surface of the track up and I would assume improve traction. all I know is that last weekends racing was imho the most compelling I've seen all year and the track really stood out as part of it.

|

7/30/2019 8:21 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/30/2019 8:55 AM

of national tracks I have raced at, here is my order (for racing, not viewing):

1. Southwick
2. Budds Creek, Washougal (tie)
4. Glen Helen
5. Hangtown
6. Fox Raceway

I love the sand and Budds Creek has such a fun layout. However, HP uphill, the constant elevation changes, and the feeling when you get a flow going at Washougal are great. The racing this weekend was incredible, too.

|

7/30/2019 8:42 AM

Growing up I loved it. After spending 4+ years now in Texas with tracks like Oak Hill, Underground, Swan, Cycle Ranch etc... It felt very tight and smaller than I remember when I raced Friday amateur days. Track was a dump for us, but looked incredible Saturday.

I think the racing Saturday was slightly over rated, Eli did something super human (could happen anywhere) and made passes, however not alot of passes actually happened. Steve had a great tweet about this.

Either way, it's a staple and holds a very dear place in my heart, so I love it. But it's not the best RACE track.

|

7/30/2019 10:51 AM

Don't get me wrong here- I'm extremely biased on this as I grew up at Washougal.
That being said, I've been to all of the national tracks on the circuit for the last few years, and have seen them from the infield, the stands and the paddock- and have paid close attention to who and how these tracks are run.
In my opinion each track brings their own hand to the proverbial table. While there can be no clear-cut winner, I believe it all boils down to what you are looking for as far as the experience is concerned...

The sand at Southwick is amazing.
The view at Hi-Point is awesome.
The pre-season hype at Hangtown is unmatched.
The humidity at Bud's Creek is literally breathtaking.
The mini-donuts at Millville will make your morning.
The mud at Ironman can destroy your whole program.
The barn at Unadilla should give you chills.
The drive in to Spring Creek will make you want to buy a farm.
The hills at Colorado will make you stand sideways for hours after the race.
The parking lot at Red Bud will make you do a liver swap.
...these are just a few that come to mind first thing this morning.

The fact is that they are all GREAT racetracks- and we should all feel lucky to watch these guys find the fastest way around them each weekend.
We should all support the many families that dedicate their lives to keeping these things running.
While most of the money is made in supercross, we need true motocross to thrive in the countryside. Many of these smaller towns and families rely on the income injected into the community each year. It gives them something to build on, to continue to make it better each year. Pride.

I'm 42 years old. I've been going to Washougal since I was in single digits. The drive still gets me.
That little iceball in my gut as I drive along the river. Wondering if anyone is parked in my spot. What the conditions will be like. Who's working in the horse trailer to take my money as I come in...

It's my NeverNeverland. Where nobody ever grows up. I'm proud of her. I love the shadows- the slippery spots- the giant whoops.
The whole deal.

So should everybody. Everywhere.

Today I'm going to go ride Mt. ViewMX. I know it will probably be blown out by the second session. I know I'll have my opinions on what should be different. But I'm going anyway- because I love riding my dirtbike.
And they could probably use my $25. (discount day)

OK I'm done.


|

Straight Outta Compression

7/30/2019 11:12 AM

DE262 wrote:

Don't get me wrong here- I'm extremely biased on this as I grew up at Washougal.
That being said, I've been to all of the national tracks on the circuit for the last few years, and have seen them from the infield, the stands and the paddock- and have paid close attention to who and how these tracks are run.
In my opinion each track brings their own hand to the proverbial table. While there can be no clear-cut winner, I believe it all boils down to what you are looking for as far as the experience is concerned...

The sand at Southwick is amazing.
The view at Hi-Point is awesome.
The pre-season hype at Hangtown is unmatched.
The humidity at Bud's Creek is literally breathtaking.
The mini-donuts at Millville will make your morning.
The mud at Ironman can destroy your whole program.
The barn at Unadilla should give you chills.
The drive in to Spring Creek will make you want to buy a farm.
The hills at Colorado will make you stand sideways for hours after the race.
The parking lot at Red Bud will make you do a liver swap.
...these are just a few that come to mind first thing this morning.

The fact is that they are all GREAT racetracks- and we should all feel lucky to watch these guys find the fastest way around them each weekend.
We should all support the many families that dedicate their lives to keeping these things running.
While most of the money is made in supercross, we need true motocross to thrive in the countryside. Many of these smaller towns and families rely on the income injected into the community each year. It gives them something to build on, to continue to make it better each year. Pride.

I'm 42 years old. I've been going to Washougal since I was in single digits. The drive still gets me.
That little iceball in my gut as I drive along the river. Wondering if anyone is parked in my spot. What the conditions will be like. Who's working in the horse trailer to take my money as I come in...

It's my NeverNeverland. Where nobody ever grows up. I'm proud of her. I love the shadows- the slippery spots- the giant whoops.
The whole deal.

So should everybody. Everywhere.

Today I'm going to go ride Mt. ViewMX. I know it will probably be blown out by the second session. I know I'll have my opinions on what should be different. But I'm going anyway- because I love riding my dirtbike.
And they could probably use my $25. (discount day)

OK I'm done.


I'm coming right up to age 39 and live a few hours away. I go ride/race every chance I get and feel the same about the track and the drive up river road.

As far as the national race goes, Washougal helps add to the variety in the tracks on the schedule. The series would be boring if every track were the same soil and prepped the same. We're lucky to have a national series with great riders who have different riding styles racing on a variety of tracks.



|

7/30/2019 12:24 PM

GREAT track... still very much like it was 20 years ago.... it can have good traction, or it can be slippery as snot....... either way, legit moto......... the hills........ the off cambers............ simply a great, and real, motocross track...........

Unadilla used to be the best track on this planet.... now.... after years of dozers build "skyshots" (that 3 wheelers can make) and other big non-natural jumps, it is a highly glorified SX track .....

|

www.bettercallsaul.com
Die Antwoord

7/30/2019 12:38 PM

Same age as you last few posters (40) and have been going to the National since ‘89 and riding the track a few times a year since ‘90. I have personally been very critical of the the track for the last 10 years. Everyone in the Northwest loves it...it’s like sacrilege to say anything negative about Washougal. I get those same butterflies and memories heading up the river...I’ve also ridden most the National tracks. I’ve always felt if you took the trees away and pretty scenery the actual track is just mediocre. We have local tracks with better facilities in WA than the one “National” track. I’ve felt over the years the track has gotten very narrow...the soil has gone. Taking the Chuck Sun out as well as Leach’s Lump wasn’t a good move. The catchers mit has some how turned into just another regular corner.

Very happy to see Washougal addressing some of these issues like soil and bathrooms this year. If I could wake up tomorrow and go ride anywhere it would be Millville...but I do appreciate the diversity that Washougal offers to the series. Last week was great...the weather helped. It’s a great National event....but no, it’s not a great track.

|

7/30/2019 12:44 PM

I was impressed with the track. All 4 motos had great racing through pretty much the entire 30 mins each.

|

7/30/2019 12:51 PM

I saw my first-ever MX race at Washougal in the 70s. I've been a fan ever since.

I'm not sure that any dirt actually sucks (see all the SX tracks with worn-out dirt...wait, how does dirt get worn out, exactly?)...but...

Is it sandy or as soft as some of the other national tracks? Nope. Is it good to have different surfaces in there to mix things up? Absolutely.

I'm not a fan of universal racing surfaces.

|

7/30/2019 1:55 PM

PRM31 wrote:

I’ve only watched from afar, but was never a big fan. This year it seemed the best I’ve ever seen it though. I guess if I compared to other tracks I would say it’s definitely good, but not great. *Based on TV viewing. Only been to Lakewood (old and current), old Castle Rock track and Budd’s Creek.
In no particular order I’d rate Unadilla, Budds Creek, Glen Helen, Red Bud, Southwick and Millville above Washougal. I’m probably giving Unadilla too much credit as it’s nowhere near as appealing to me now as compared to years ago.

Castle Rock, old Lakewood, me too.

|

7/30/2019 2:14 PM

gt80rider wrote:

GREAT track... still very much like it was 20 years ago.... it can have good traction, or it can be slippery as snot....... either way, legit moto......... the hills........ the off cambers............ simply a great, and real, motocross track...........

Unadilla used to be the best track on this planet.... now.... after years of dozers build "skyshots" (that 3 wheelers can make) and other big non-natural jumps, it is a highly glorified SX track .....

I used to absolutely love Unadilla but the years of endless ruts have really made it less fun to watch . I still love the setting but I also agree about the jumps. They just dont have a lot of character imho.

|

7/30/2019 4:48 PM

GuyB wrote:

I saw my first-ever MX race at Washougal in the 70s. I've been a fan ever since.

I'm not sure that any dirt actually sucks (see all the SX tracks with worn-out dirt...wait, how does dirt get worn out, exactly?)...but...

Is it sandy or as soft as some of the other national tracks? Nope. Is it good to have different surfaces in there to mix things up? Absolutely.

I'm not a fan of universal racing surfaces.

Dirt does sort of get worn out. It looses it's tilth. You see it happen faster in muddy conditions. Basically the sand, clay, and silt and up getting separated and settling at different levels.

It's why you try to not plow farm ground during heavy rain, etc.

Adding sand and organic matter is an attempt to improve soil tilth.

|

7/30/2019 9:05 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/30/2019 9:11 PM

The racing sure implied it was great. Dudes had to really bomb downhills and corner so sharp to make up time....

Starting order played a role too but that track produced the best racing of the year imo.


Unadilla.... Looking at the 50 years article in racer x almost made me want to cry. So naturally perfect..... And now the only word I can think of for the man made obstacles is that they like..... Molested the terrain.

|

7/30/2019 9:20 PM

DE262 wrote:

Don't get me wrong here- I'm extremely biased on this as I grew up at Washougal.
That being said, I've been to all of the national tracks on the circuit for the last few years, and have seen them from the infield, the stands and the paddock- and have paid close attention to who and how these tracks are run.
In my opinion each track brings their own hand to the proverbial table. While there can be no clear-cut winner, I believe it all boils down to what you are looking for as far as the experience is concerned...

The sand at Southwick is amazing.
The view at Hi-Point is awesome.
The pre-season hype at Hangtown is unmatched.
The humidity at Bud's Creek is literally breathtaking.
The mini-donuts at Millville will make your morning.
The mud at Ironman can destroy your whole program.
The barn at Unadilla should give you chills.
The drive in to Spring Creek will make you want to buy a farm.
The hills at Colorado will make you stand sideways for hours after the race.
The parking lot at Red Bud will make you do a liver swap.
...these are just a few that come to mind first thing this morning.

The fact is that they are all GREAT racetracks- and we should all feel lucky to watch these guys find the fastest way around them each weekend.
We should all support the many families that dedicate their lives to keeping these things running.
While most of the money is made in supercross, we need true motocross to thrive in the countryside. Many of these smaller towns and families rely on the income injected into the community each year. It gives them something to build on, to continue to make it better each year. Pride.

I'm 42 years old. I've been going to Washougal since I was in single digits. The drive still gets me.
That little iceball in my gut as I drive along the river. Wondering if anyone is parked in my spot. What the conditions will be like. Who's working in the horse trailer to take my money as I come in...

It's my NeverNeverland. Where nobody ever grows up. I'm proud of her. I love the shadows- the slippery spots- the giant whoops.
The whole deal.

So should everybody. Everywhere.

Today I'm going to go ride Mt. ViewMX. I know it will probably be blown out by the second session. I know I'll have my opinions on what should be different. But I'm going anyway- because I love riding my dirtbike.
And they could probably use my $25. (discount day)

OK I'm done.


Completely F’ing Awesome

|

I ripped a start from Egypt and I was happy about that.

7/31/2019 10:42 AM

DE262 wrote:

Don't get me wrong here- I'm extremely biased on this as I grew up at Washougal.
That being said, I've been to all of the national tracks on the circuit for the last few years, and have seen them from the infield, the stands and the paddock- and have paid close attention to who and how these tracks are run.
In my opinion each track brings their own hand to the proverbial table. While there can be no clear-cut winner, I believe it all boils down to what you are looking for as far as the experience is concerned...

The sand at Southwick is amazing.
The view at Hi-Point is awesome.
The pre-season hype at Hangtown is unmatched.
The humidity at Bud's Creek is literally breathtaking.
The mini-donuts at Millville will make your morning.
The mud at Ironman can destroy your whole program.
The barn at Unadilla should give you chills.
The drive in to Spring Creek will make you want to buy a farm.
The hills at Colorado will make you stand sideways for hours after the race.
The parking lot at Red Bud will make you do a liver swap.
...these are just a few that come to mind first thing this morning.

The fact is that they are all GREAT racetracks- and we should all feel lucky to watch these guys find the fastest way around them each weekend.
We should all support the many families that dedicate their lives to keeping these things running.
While most of the money is made in supercross, we need true motocross to thrive in the countryside. Many of these smaller towns and families rely on the income injected into the community each year. It gives them something to build on, to continue to make it better each year. Pride.

I'm 42 years old. I've been going to Washougal since I was in single digits. The drive still gets me.
That little iceball in my gut as I drive along the river. Wondering if anyone is parked in my spot. What the conditions will be like. Who's working in the horse trailer to take my money as I come in...

It's my NeverNeverland. Where nobody ever grows up. I'm proud of her. I love the shadows- the slippery spots- the giant whoops.
The whole deal.

So should everybody. Everywhere.

Today I'm going to go ride Mt. ViewMX. I know it will probably be blown out by the second session. I know I'll have my opinions on what should be different. But I'm going anyway- because I love riding my dirtbike.
And they could probably use my $25. (discount day)

OK I'm done.


TeamGreen wrote:

Completely F’ing Awesome

Thanks buddy- Hope to see you soon!

|

Straight Outta Compression

7/31/2019 11:12 AM

One of the most fun tracks that I’ve ever ridden. Narrow? Yes, gets hard sometimes? Yes, bad ass place to spend a day! Fuck yes

|

7/31/2019 6:07 PM

EZZA 95B wrote:

Don't worry about voting Crush, you've never been there.

Crush wrote:

Yeah I've never heard any riders say the dirt sucks either!

The dirt does suck. It’s really deceiving, looks perfect but it’s slicker than shit.

Fun track and I really enjoy the challenge of riding there and have raced there a few times on AM day.

|

7/31/2019 6:16 PM

Good traction last sat for sure!



|

2 Stroke, Drum Brakes, Finned Cylinders!!!