Matthes interviewing skills/style

Ive listened to almost every one of his podcasts with riders and i love them. He does bait these guys a little though. Especially when hes talking about the bikes. He tells them ". If you were on a factory Honda, you wouldve won right? Everybody knows you couldn't win if you didnt have a Honda". And the riders usually love the excuse and embrace it. Oh yeah if i had Stantons bike i smoke him. Really Matiasevich? Only Denny Stephenson said, "you know, i gotta say, my Suzuki was the best bike in 1990..,". He didnt let matthes tell him his bike was shit
|
early
Fantasy
2231st
10/2/2017 1:18pm
Might want to check out the history book between 1982 and 1996
Jesse318NW
10/2/2017 1:23pm
Ive listened to almost every one of his podcasts with riders and i love them. He does bait these guys a little though. Especially when hes...
Ive listened to almost every one of his podcasts with riders and i love them. He does bait these guys a little though. Especially when hes talking about the bikes. He tells them ". If you were on a factory Honda, you wouldve won right? Everybody knows you couldn't win if you didnt have a Honda". And the riders usually love the excuse and embrace it. Oh yeah if i had Stantons bike i smoke him. Really Matiasevich? Only Denny Stephenson said, "you know, i gotta say, my Suzuki was the best bike in 1990..,". He didnt let matthes tell him his bike was shit
I get what you are saying, but I believe this is how the best interviewers do it. Call it the Howard Stern technique. Dan Patrick does it as well. You have to know your stuff and be confident to pull it off, but Matthes does it well. Matthes, overall, is really good at what he does.
mx_563
10/2/2017 1:39pm
What I can't stand is the "that was a blah blah blah race, talk about it..."

That's like taking all the effort and skill out of being an interviewer and placing the entire burden of intrigue on the interviewee.

I found it interesting that during the Jerry Bernardo podcast, Jerry specifically commented about this as being poor interviewing and it's what Matthes does a lot of (although to his credit he's getting a lot better at avoiding it).

Now if we can only get Steve to not talk over his interviewees. (you guys hear the Max Anstie MXdN pulpcast?)

early
Fantasy
2231st
10/2/2017 1:44pm
mx_563 wrote:
What I can't stand is the "[i]that was a blah blah blah race, talk about it...[/i]" That's like taking all the effort and skill out of...
What I can't stand is the "that was a blah blah blah race, talk about it..."

That's like taking all the effort and skill out of being an interviewer and placing the entire burden of intrigue on the interviewee.

I found it interesting that during the Jerry Bernardo podcast, Jerry specifically commented about this as being poor interviewing and it's what Matthes does a lot of (although to his credit he's getting a lot better at avoiding it).

Now if we can only get Steve to not talk over his interviewees. (you guys hear the Max Anstie MXdN pulpcast?)

To be fair alot of his post race stuff are interviews with giys that are still there and are willing to talk to him. There may not have been much that was notable for the guys race from the outside looking at it.

The Shop

kkawboy14
10/2/2017 3:24pm Edited Date/Time 10/2/2017 3:24pm
He doesn't have "skill or style" he just talks like a normal mechanic/motocross/hangin out at the track guy. That's why sometimes he says dumb stuff, what friend at the track doesn't? But for the most part he's pretty funny and worth hangin with when he's chatting it up......because he isn't star struck and it's just him talking instead of trying to be something he isn't.
ktmdan
10/2/2017 5:36pm
I like him. The sport is certainly better with him in it.
10/2/2017 9:12pm
I do appreciate Matthes more or less keeping bad language out of the interview. Ive tried to listen to the Dmxs show at work but there is just way too many fucks said
hyler199
10/2/2017 10:01pm
kkawboy14 wrote:
He doesn't have "skill or style" he just talks like a normal mechanic/motocross/hangin out at the track guy. That's why sometimes he says dumb stuff, what...
He doesn't have "skill or style" he just talks like a normal mechanic/motocross/hangin out at the track guy. That's why sometimes he says dumb stuff, what friend at the track doesn't? But for the most part he's pretty funny and worth hangin with when he's chatting it up......because he isn't star struck and it's just him talking instead of trying to be something he isn't.
you pretty much summed it up. if it was myself as a huge fan I'd definately be a terrible interviewer. professional interviewers, especilly on tv, tend to ask the same questions to everyone and repeat them the next week and the next etc etc

it tends to train the riders to respond to those questions with the same memorised autopilot answer.

I mean Matthes isnt perfect. i noticed a couple times hes made a moment a bit awkward, or ignored something someone said and started talking about something else. but fuck im sure if i was in his shoes thered be a list of things people notice i do "wrong"

His show and his usual suspects that join it are great. Him, JT and Weege could be the Jeremy Clarkson, Richard Hammond and James May of anything moto. I really enjoy Weege on the offroad side and really think the show can trickle over to more on the offroad pros side. Theres a lot of GNCC or Enduro riders Id really love to listen to. The shows theyve done so far with Offroad guys have been great!!

also the first time i heard some of those custom commercials i was laughing. the toto africa remix was awesome good for you Matthes

Post a reply to: Matthes interviewing skills/style

The Latest