Matthes crushing it at RACER X...is he actually "happy"?

TeamGreen
His "observations" article for Seattle is another very on-point story of how the day went & some of the craziness that was a true report of all that I saw.

https://racerxonline.com/2019/03/27/observations-seattle

|
sam hain
3/27/2019 1:41pm
Kinda BS to call out Shane for exploiting an injury when Davalos has done it every year. Dude is in his 30's for gawd's sake. Wasn't it a couple years ago he had visa "issues" and didn't make the Toronto round so he could stay down another year?
Raoul Duke
3/27/2019 1:43pm
sam hain wrote:
Kinda BS to call out Shane for exploiting an injury when Davalos has done it every year. Dude is in his 30's for gawd's sake. Wasn't...
Kinda BS to call out Shane for exploiting an injury when Davalos has done it every year. Dude is in his 30's for gawd's sake. Wasn't it a couple years ago he had visa "issues" and didn't make the Toronto round so he could stay down another year?
I think Matthes has been quite vocal on his Davalos feelings over the past few years haha
Ray_MXS
3/27/2019 1:52pm
sam hain wrote:
Kinda BS to call out Shane for exploiting an injury when Davalos has done it every year. Dude is in his 30's for gawd's sake. Wasn't...
Raoul Duke wrote:
I think Matthes has been quite vocal on his Davalos feelings over the past few years haha
Indeed he has. But to be fair I don't really blame Shane. What options does he have? Get forced up and quite possibly get a low pay ride or even no ride at all, or stay down getting to ride factory equipment and a nice paycheck? The system is all out of whack if you ask me.
Motox627!
3/27/2019 2:00pm
sam hain wrote:
Raoul Duke wrote:
Ray_MXS wrote:
Indeed he has. But to be fair I don't really blame Shane. What options does he have? Get forced up and quite possibly get a low...
Indeed he has. But to be fair I don't really blame Shane. What options does he have? Get forced up and quite possibly get a low pay ride or even no ride at all, or stay down getting to ride factory equipment and a nice paycheck? The system is all out of whack if you ask me.
Funny it seems the same people bitching about lack of 450 rides, also bag on the dudes that stay in 250 as long as possible....... With as short lived as a professional moto career is, more power to the ones making the most of it financially so they will be better prepared for the future. After all, Feld is padding their pockets, i don't see the problem with the riders doing the same.....

The Shop

TeamGreen
3/27/2019 2:05pm
sam hain wrote:
The Visa issue was real and cost Martin more money than you'd believe.

I get that many have an issue with this; but, in my eyes...it's just another professional class.
3/27/2019 2:07pm
sam hain wrote:
Raoul Duke wrote:
If Shane was up 15 points in the standings I don't see him sitting out. This kind of stuff wouldn't be happening if it was a national, and not regional, series. You can't afford to sit out 12 out of 17 rounds. It's easier to justify it when you only miss 3-4 and assure your sponsors another go next year.

Double the pointing out number or set an age limit and run all 17 rounds. Problem solved. I don't give a damn about little Jimmy's parents selling the farm to make it as an amateur and not have space for a ride on a top team when they turn pro. Maybe more families would go back to racing LOCALLY and let the talent sort itself out on a regional level in amateurs. This is the pinnacle of off road motorcycle racing. There SHOULD only be a select few that make it far enough to race as the support class to the main series. Entitled little punks and stupid amateur feeder programs/training facilities have turned this sport to the worse.

I don't see Moto2, Moto3, EMX125, EMX250, F2, Indy Lights or any other feeder series running a regional support class dividing the talent in half. It's one class. The best (or richest) race the best (or richest). As it should be. Motocross doesn't seem to have this problem. The teams can support 4 riders for 24 motos in a series that pays less and carries less sponsor interest. There's 40 spots but the points only go to 20!
smoothies862
Fantasy
787th
3/27/2019 2:42pm
said it before. don't hate the player. hate the game.
heck yes stay down. why move up with nothing? its not his fault too much money and support is in 250 class. instead of 450.
mx_phreek
Fantasy
210th
3/27/2019 2:50pm
I look at it as he's not having "great" year by his standards to now and if he had chance at title he would be out there i'm sure.
milliebays
3/27/2019 2:54pm
we're so lucky to have matthes and crew. what a great brand he's built.

weigandt too.
rehan53
3/27/2019 2:54pm
sam hain wrote:
Do you think he's shitting on Shane or the rules and alleged purpose of the 250 class?
TeamGreen
3/27/2019 2:56pm Edited Date/Time 3/27/2019 3:02pm
sam hain wrote:
rehan53 wrote:
Do you think he's shitting on Shane or the rules and alleged purpose of the 250 class?
Matthes has an issue with the 250s being labeled as a development class when it's full of career professionals (thats my attempt at paraphrasing what I believe to be his "point").
Motodave15
3/27/2019 3:00pm
Do you guys get this rattled about the cashier who's been in the same position for 20years at ur local grocery store??

gt80rider
3/27/2019 3:07pm
Sounds like he is getting tired of it all.... There are some seriously fn stupid things n place that our leaders just won't change for the good of the sport/industry... At some point u stop caring what Anyone thinks, u just want to try and advance changes.....

The lil boy underwear class has been age flawed from the start.... The permanent number system was a giant flop ( is the permanent #2 mc??? Rv??? Cw?????) .... Etc... Too many examples to list....

F1 drastically changed rules every few years to keep at the front of tech and racing rules.. We never have....

kpiper
3/27/2019 3:31pm
How about just let anyone ride 250 east/west as long as they want? End of problem and the BS of riders having to make up stories.

If someone wants to remain in the little boy class forever let them do it.
DC
3/27/2019 3:48pm
sam hain wrote:
Davalos was leading the points and he would have killed to be able to go to Toronto that time, he wasn't sand-bagging at all... At least not that time.

DC
Racer X
DC
3/27/2019 3:53pm
gt80rider wrote:
Sounds like he is getting tired of it all.... There are some seriously fn stupid things n place that our leaders just won't change for the...
Sounds like he is getting tired of it all.... There are some seriously fn stupid things n place that our leaders just won't change for the good of the sport/industry... At some point u stop caring what Anyone thinks, u just want to try and advance changes.....

The lil boy underwear class has been age flawed from the start.... The permanent number system was a giant flop ( is the permanent #2 mc??? Rv??? Cw?????) .... Etc... Too many examples to list....

F1 drastically changed rules every few years to keep at the front of tech and racing rules.. We never have....

It's not a "permanent" numbering system, it's a career number system and when a guy's career ends -- even the very great ones like MC and RV for #2 and RC for #4 and RD for #5 -- they will give the number to whoever wants it and is eligible next...

On the other hand I don't like the way they pointing out thing works in 250 SX either, but for me it seems a lot better than the Under-23 rule in Europe.

DC
Racer X

DC
3/27/2019 3:54pm
kpiper wrote:
How about just let anyone ride 250 east/west as long as they want? End of problem and the BS of riders having to make up stories...
How about just let anyone ride 250 east/west as long as they want? End of problem and the BS of riders having to make up stories.

I think I am with you here, and as long as it stays East/West the guys who want to race full-time and get paid a 450 salary will move up...

DC
Racer X
Shawn142
3/27/2019 4:04pm
Motox627! wrote:
Funny it seems the same people bitching about lack of 450 rides, also bag on the dudes that stay in 250 as long as possible....... With...
Funny it seems the same people bitching about lack of 450 rides, also bag on the dudes that stay in 250 as long as possible....... With as short lived as a professional moto career is, more power to the ones making the most of it financially so they will be better prepared for the future. After all, Feld is padding their pockets, i don't see the problem with the riders doing the same.....
People don't seem to want to step out of their perspective bubbles and look at the bigger picture. The media needs something to talk about, and reporters have their pet peeves. Just like there's nothing wrong with what Marty is doing, there's nothing wrong with Matthes having an opinion about it and expressing it as a member of the media trying to draw and entertain an audience. How about we all just chill on calling each other cry babies for not thinking the exact same thing.
racer480
3/27/2019 4:09pm
So we went to the autograph signing in Indy the day before the races. Austin Forkner, Martin Davalos, Joey Savatgy and Eli Tomac was all sitting in a row. I said to Austin "Hell of a season you have going, keep it up" I said to Joey "Nice rookie season, keep up the good work and hopefully get another finish like MEC. I asked Eli "To take it easy on my boy tonight"...... He said You must be talking about the #2 because you said boy. hehe. (I was actually talking about the 94) Then I said to Martin " When you moving up to the bigboy class and the all laughed, Eli, Austin and Joey. I believe they think its time to move up too.
milliebays
3/27/2019 4:15pm
racer480 wrote:
So we went to the autograph signing in Indy the day before the races. Austin Forkner, Martin Davalos, Joey Savatgy and Eli Tomac was all sitting...
So we went to the autograph signing in Indy the day before the races. Austin Forkner, Martin Davalos, Joey Savatgy and Eli Tomac was all sitting in a row. I said to Austin "Hell of a season you have going, keep it up" I said to Joey "Nice rookie season, keep up the good work and hopefully get another finish like MEC. I asked Eli "To take it easy on my boy tonight"...... He said You must be talking about the #2 because you said boy. hehe. (I was actually talking about the 94) Then I said to Martin " When you moving up to the bigboy class and the all laughed, Eli, Austin and Joey. I believe they think its time to move up too.
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
3/27/2019 4:17pm
Damn, do you think Eli could be an assasin when his MX career is over??? Blink
That was cold AF.
BobPA
3/27/2019 4:26pm
racer480 wrote:
So we went to the autograph signing in Indy the day before the races. Austin Forkner, Martin Davalos, Joey Savatgy and Eli Tomac was all sitting...
I'll take things that didn't happen for $400 Alec.
peelout
3/27/2019 4:54pm Edited Date/Time 3/27/2019 4:55pm
racer480 wrote:
BobPA wrote:
I'll take things that didn't happen for $400 Alec.
and everyone in the pits clapped and Ralph Shaheen walked up to him and gave him a $100 bill and then someone asked him out... do you know who that someone was? Albert Fucking Einstein
toomanykaws
3/27/2019 5:48pm
Lot guys forced to move up have a short 450 career and then its over. For SX anyways. Could race the nationals but not a lot of money to make in doing that. What are there 12-15 riders making a decent living in the 450 class? Don't see too many empty spots open up when you got East and West 250 riders getting funneled down to fit in the 450s.
Tarz483
Fantasy
665th
3/27/2019 5:56pm Edited Date/Time 3/27/2019 5:59pm
kpiper wrote:
How about just let anyone ride 250 east/west as long as they want? End of problem and the BS of riders having to make up stories...

DC wrote:
I think I am with you here, and as long as it stays East/West the guys who want to race full-time and get paid a 450...
I think I am with you here, and as long as it stays East/West the guys who want to race full-time and get paid a 450 salary will move up...

DC
Racer X
Ive Been saying this for a long time. Just two pro classes , some guys just ride a small bore bike better and never adapt to the bigger bike and they go from a front runner to a 10th to 15th place guy in the bigger bike class or worse get hurt over and over,
Ive though maybe add a new feeder class and let there be
Pro 250 and pro 450.
As far as shane i dont blame him if thats what he has to do is keep his options open, i do wish he would have said he wasnt racing an hour earlier though, i cant be the only one that picked him in fantasy SX.
Also the under 23 thing i hate , what if a guy didn't start riding until he was 15-16
Or is just a late bloomer.
Also i really dislike the permanent number system
Ive said that for a long time to
It only benefits a few people, But being able to have a Refresher of how they did the previous year by there number would be a much bigger benefit to the fans!
3/27/2019 7:00pm
Motodave15 wrote:
Do you guys get this rattled about the cashier who's been in the same position for 20years at ur local grocery store??

Bwahaha - good one.
Crush
3/27/2019 7:05pm
sam hain wrote:
DC wrote:
Davalos was leading the points and he would have killed to be able to go to Toronto that time, he wasn't sand-bagging at all... At least...
Davalos was leading the points and he would have killed to be able to go to Toronto that time, he wasn't sand-bagging at all... At least not that time.

DC
Racer X
Come on now
brocster
3/27/2019 7:10pm
kpiper wrote:

DC wrote:
I think I am with you here, and as long as it stays East/West the guys who want to race full-time and get paid a 450...

DC
Racer X
Tarz483 wrote:
Ive Been saying this for a long time. Just two pro classes , some guys just ride a small bore bike better and never adapt to...
Ive Been saying this for a long time. Just two pro classes , some guys just ride a small bore bike better and never adapt to the bigger bike and they go from a front runner to a 10th to 15th place guy in the bigger bike class or worse get hurt over and over,
Ive though maybe add a new feeder class and let there be
Pro 250 and pro 450.
As far as shane i dont blame him if thats what he has to do is keep his options open, i do wish he would have said he wasnt racing an hour earlier though, i cant be the only one that picked him in fantasy SX.
Also the under 23 thing i hate , what if a guy didn't start riding until he was 15-16
Or is just a late bloomer.
Also i really dislike the permanent number system
Ive said that for a long time to
It only benefits a few people, But being able to have a Refresher of how they did the previous year by there number would be a much bigger benefit to the fans!
Been on this train for a while now as well.

250 Pro
450 Pro
125 east/west
3/27/2019 8:59pm Edited Date/Time 3/28/2019 10:38am
Two pro classes never means the two classes have equal prestige. One class will always be more prestigious. F1 has many professional series underneath it. Nascar has multiple professional feeder series. Minor League Baseball is professional, but sits beneath the majors. You can't have two premier classes.

250 will always be professional, but it is a lower prestige series than 450. That isn't going to change. It is the step between 125s and 450s. 450 champs are typically 250 champs. With a few exceptions, 450 riders who win more than 5 races are also 250 champs. By my quick survey, only [s]Tomac[/s], Bayle and Emig have won more than 5 450/250t mains without winning a 250/125t champ. Obviously excluding riders who turned pro before Lites were a thing.

That's the reality. 250 is where you learn. If you didn't manage to win a title in 250, you're probably not going to make waves in 450.

Look at the most recent 450 champs. Dungey, Villapoto, Reed, Stewart, Charmichael all won 250/125t in third first or second year. McGrath in his third, and Anderson in his fourth. Pretty telling.
Jimmy638
3/27/2019 9:13pm
TeamGreen wrote:
His "observations" article for Seattle is another very on-point story of how the day went & some of the craziness that was a true report of...
His "observations" article for Seattle is another very on-point story of how the day went & some of the craziness that was a true report of all that I saw.

https://racerxonline.com/2019/03/27/observations-seattle

As long as "Tomac is my Pick to win SX Championship" wins then OK

Post a reply to: Matthes crushing it at RACER X...is he actually "happy"?

The Latest