Matthes, JT comments on PEDs

Rhino
12/15/2017 8:00am
Premix wrote:
Enlighten the peanut gallery, because obviously you have....
EddieC wrote:
I have. Its NO JOKE. 1. The doctor must prove through medical records a long term history of treatment for X. 2. The doctor must prove...
I have.

Its NO JOKE.

1. The doctor must prove through medical records a long term history of treatment for X.
2. The doctor must prove through medial records that NON-BANNED substances have been tried and must substantiate through medical history why the ATHLETE needs to take the BANNED substance.
3. The doctor must state the dosage they plan to prescribe and any changes in the prescribed dosage will need to be substantiated through medical evaluation.

This is the watered down explanation.

An athlete just can't show up at an urgent care and have a doctor sign off on a T.U.E.

jeffro503 wrote:
#3 sure is interesting....... [b]3. The doctor must state the dosage they plan to prescribe and any changes in the prescribed dosage will need to be...
#3 sure is interesting.......

3. The doctor must state the dosage they plan to prescribe and any changes in the prescribed dosage will need to be substantiated through medical evaluation.

Not draggi8ng anyone's name through the mud here , but I have mentioned many times on here ( and got flamed for it ) that dosage , even with a TUE and depending on the drug , can be used as a cheater drug if not monitored. Whistling
I know a guy with a TUE. I believe he mentioned also that Wada has a panel of experts or doctors that review the Patients Doctors notes/info/history to validate the request. AND that they can deny it.

This is what Froome just got nailed on. His Salbutamol (Albuterol) levels were reported to be double what would be needed for asthma symptoms.

12/15/2017 8:01am
Here is more food for thought. After reading of Chris Foomes drug test failure I decided to see what the drug he was caught for could do...I used a friends Asthma pump ( three pumps only ) and immediately dropped 2 minutes 34 seconds from my seven mile time 57:55...I am not a great athlete or anything. What makes this time even more interesting is that just last evening I did a 10k social run w some friends. My legs felt like trash today and I still smashed my best time on a course I have run for nearly a year. OH NO...NO ADVANTAGE ON USING PED'S...beleive what you will I suppose. That is our right.
VET74
12/15/2017 8:05am
Take a 40 year old out of shape guy, get him on a good diet and work out, and you'll be amazed at the transformation. As far as Zach goes, probably not a fair comparison to say he must be on something because he's been working his ass off with Aldon.
12/15/2017 8:39am
Tracktor wrote:
Am I one of the only people who doesn't give two shits if there are PED's in MX or not?..........
Agree, but free Cade Clason!!!

The Shop

MxKing809
Fantasy
334th
12/15/2017 8:49am
DC wrote:
MXKing809, I was not directly involved in the rulebook process before 2009, but I specifically remember complaining in a column that they were testing for television-enhancing...
MXKing809, I was not directly involved in the rulebook process before 2009, but I specifically remember complaining in a column that they were testing for television-enhancing drugs when we really should be looking at performance-enhancing drugs. When we got the reins of the whole series we began moving towards a PED testing protocol and implemented it with USADA. Their oversight, testing and enforcement comes at a hefty price tag, but we thought it was important enough to pay for it. USADA has tested every top pro motocrosser in the last three years during the outdoor series and no one has failed a test. WADA tests in Supercross and they have had two people test positive for TUEs and subsequently suspended, but nothing else.

At no time hace PEDs been allowed, but the testing that was being done before '09 was not serious enough for anyone, which is why the teams collectively asked us to invest more in this area and we have. But I still think it's wrong to broad brush paint everything and everyone before 2009 of cheating. It's not fair to the riders who competed in that era.

And I have been around top pro riders and trainers all of my life and I have seen exactly one doing something illegal (a rider was blood-doping in the eighties, in Europe, before that was illegal) and I have never had someone come and tell me to check such-and-such. I can't break into motorhomes to check for IVs, it's private property and would open a hornet's nest of trespassing and heavy-handedness.

The reason that no one is allowed IVs is because when Doug Henry was getting them in between motos in '94 for his health issues, Mitch Payton and Jim Perry of Pro Circuit argued at an AMA advisory board meeting that if it didn't stop, they would hire nurses at every round and have his guys on IVs out in the autograph line so everyone could see how bad it looked for the sport. The board, which was run by Duke Finch at the time, agreed and asked the AMA Board of Directors to restrict IVs in the rule book. It's been in there ever since.

Finally, what I have seen is guys like Carmichael, Dungey, Villopoto, Osborne, Tomac, etc. working their asses off, day after day, year after year. Same goes for pretty much everyone trying to make it as a professional racer. And I've seen some talk about how they quit young, yet the average NFL career lasts just five years.

DC
Racer X

Perfect. I appreciate the reply Davey, and know you have done your due diligence since taking over the MX series.

You confirmed my point.

It is, and has always been illegal to use PED’s in the sport

So now that Matthes and JT have confirmed an admittance of guilt from 2 riders.... WHAT IS GOING TO BE DONE? ?
DC
12/15/2017 8:51am
"Maybe thats why he defends it so vigorously...his life has been built on the lie."

You're kidding, right?

I'm not defending the use of PEDs, I am defending the reputations of guys who were great on motocross bikes and obviously worked their asses off, and are now getting pulled into the gutter here. If guys are cheating, I hope they get caught, but to just make general accusations against anyone with ZERO evidence is irresponsible and ridiculous.

DC
Racer X

Johnny Depp
12/15/2017 8:51am
Here is more food for thought. After reading of Chris Foomes drug test failure I decided to see what the drug he was caught for could...
Here is more food for thought. After reading of Chris Foomes drug test failure I decided to see what the drug he was caught for could do...I used a friends Asthma pump ( three pumps only ) and immediately dropped 2 minutes 34 seconds from my seven mile time 57:55...I am not a great athlete or anything. What makes this time even more interesting is that just last evening I did a 10k social run w some friends. My legs felt like trash today and I still smashed my best time on a course I have run for nearly a year. OH NO...NO ADVANTAGE ON USING PED'S...beleive what you will I suppose. That is our right.
That's ridiculous. Now you got me googling, at $20.49 through a pet supply this is in anyone's budget.

12/15/2017 8:57am Edited Date/Time 12/15/2017 9:01am
MxKing809 wrote:
Perfect. I appreciate the reply Davey, and know you have done your due diligence since taking over the MX series. You confirmed my point. [b]It is...
Perfect. I appreciate the reply Davey, and know you have done your due diligence since taking over the MX series.

You confirmed my point.

So now that Matthes and JT have confirmed an admittance of guilt from 2 riders.... WHAT IS GOING TO BE DONE? ?
Ideally, an investigation should be undertaken by one of the journalistic entities within the sport, such as RacerX or Transworld, perhaps even Cycle News. (I name these organizations as they are reliable and credible and have a reputation for integrity).

The challenge would be navigating the conflicts of interest, or finding a journalistic/investigative body that is not financially connected to the industry so as to prevent bias and, as I previously said, conflicts of interest resulting in a bias investigation.

I'm not sure how authentic an investigation could be if sponsorship/advertisement dollars are coming from parties that potentially do not want their skeletons being exposed.

Maybe an external body is required for a legitimate investigation if the entities within the MX/SX industry are uninterested or unwilling to expose information that could be damaging to certain individuals, sponsors, etc.

Edit: The casual and nonchalant attitude or JT/Matthes in regards to PED use within MX/SX was quite unsettling. Like some others have speculated, maybe they know more than they want to share, or perhaps either of them exposing others through journalism would result in their own complacency being ousted. Not saying this is what is happening, but they both seemed to dismiss the topic as not worthy of actual investigation because it occurred in the past.
12/15/2017 9:02am
NorCal 50+ wrote:
I actually found the comments from JT and Matthes pretty disturbing on Monday's Pulp Show. I have a lot of respect for both these dudes, as...
I actually found the comments from JT and Matthes pretty disturbing on Monday's Pulp Show. I have a lot of respect for both these dudes, as an addicted Pulp listener from the beginning.

However, after joining in on some Jeff Alessi flogging and ridicule, JT basically said: yes, it occurred and he knew it (HGH?) but it was a decade ago so it doesn't matter. He said it doesn't really help in motocross much anyhow because it is a sport based on skill and reflexes, not strength, and he even said athletes using certain substances were "trying to better themselves." (Correct me if I'm wrong JT)

The basic message was "don't go runnin' down the reputation of pro mx just because some riders dabbled in when it was in the news a lot because of baseball." So simultaneously saying that it went on, but it no big deal, is kind of odd.
A decade ago, RC was running his last season as the most dominant rider in mx history, including ridiculous feats like lapping entire fields etc. and Jeff Alessi and Mike Alessi were a couple years into their pro careers. HGH apparently wasn't against the rules back then, IDK.

IMO, hell yeah it matters if doping was going on, especially in an era where the same pros are still collecting LARGE CHECKS from motorcycle companies based on their accomplishments. I am one fan that sat through 99% of the pro SX and outdoor races of the 90s, 2000s and 2010s. It is important to me if some were taking substances.

Also, JT and Matthes both work for (and are very loyal to) the promoter of the outdoor motocross series. I am not making any accusation about them (or RC) but this does not position them well for any investigative journalism on this issue, which they are clearly pretty much indicating they are ready to sweep under the rug. So maybe instead of participating in the public hanging of Jeff, people should be more open-minded that there is something here.
Matthes wrote:
When there was no testing for anything except for recreational drugs, why wouldn't you try to push the envelope and see what you can take to...
When there was no testing for anything except for recreational drugs, why wouldn't you try to push the envelope and see what you can take to make you better? There are millions of dollars at stake after all.

Consequently, why would you try that when there is such testing in the sport and when you look at our top guys, none of them appear to be some machines without flaws so why couldn't you accept that there's no way PED's are running around the pits like Jeff says they are. Are there dudes breaking the rules? Probably but there's no way I believe it's a huge issue in the sport. In talks with riders now, ex-riders who had these elite trainers, teams, the trainers themselves, I just don't see it being so widespread.

Getting huge wouldn't help a racer out as we've all detailed and any of the blood doping stuff that I've read about and talked to people about is too expensive, takes too much knowledge from chemists/trainers that only the top guys could afford it. And back to the top guys getting tested randomly throughout the season to take that risk.

As far as us working for the promoter of the MX series, any listener of mine knows that I think and have said over and over that there should be random motorhome checks for IV's at the nationals (although really, the amount of motorhomes are WAY down from where they once were). I asked someone in power about that one time and they told me it's private property and you couldn't enforce that.

I'm just not sure why the sport that has WADA and USADA testing (agencies that are accepted worldwide to be the best) in it is STILL being called into question as being some drug-fueled race to pump the best drugs into your system? Like, what else could be done by "the sport" to stop the guys IF, and it's a big if, they wanted to cheat?
We have already talked about this and I respectfully disagree with you Steve. WADA amd USADA only catch the obvious cheaters. I personally know two UFC fighters currently circumventing their testing which is more stringent than MX/SX. Everyone is looking at HGH and Testosterone but what about Nootropics? These are relatively inexpensive and could make a big difference in a riders focus. I don’t want to post the website, but you can get a months supply of Nuvigil for under $500. I personally don’t care or blame athletes for doing whatever they feel necessary.

PED’s will not get a rider like 722 on the podium. They will allow for faster recovery which allows him to get an extra practice day during the week or stay focused at the end of a 20 minute Main. In all Sports we are dealing with type “A” personality’s who would cut their pinky off for an advantage so saying PEDs don’t exist in the sport because of testing is short sided.

A bigger issue for me is purse money and entry fees teams and riders pay. I find it troubling that a rider needs to secure a bonus plan from personal sponsors to make good money. Any rider who is good enough to make a night show should be making a comfortable living with good healthcare. That’s an issue I would fix before wasting money on a testing procedure that only catches paperwork mistakes (Stew and Clason). My two cents. One more thing, while Jeff Alessi may not have ALL his facts in order, I believe much like Jose Cansaco in Baseball he does know a lot about what is going on inside the Semi’s and Motorhomes.
DC
12/15/2017 9:03am Edited Date/Time 12/15/2017 9:06am
MXKing809, unless they have sworn testimony, physical blood evidence and a failed test that can be proven to have not been compromised over the years, I don't know that anything can be done to any athlete post-facto.

And when did the guys say this? Because no one told me, and Jason just told me on the phone he's never had anyone admit this. So which series, which years, which drugs?

I don't think rewriting the record book based on anecdotal/incomplete evidence is wise in any sport.

DC
Racer X
12/15/2017 9:04am Edited Date/Time 12/15/2017 9:05am
DC wrote:
"Maybe thats why he defends it so vigorously...his life has been built on the lie." You're kidding, right? I'm not defending the use of PEDs, I...
"Maybe thats why he defends it so vigorously...his life has been built on the lie."

You're kidding, right?

I'm not defending the use of PEDs, I am defending the reputations of guys who were great on motocross bikes and obviously worked their asses off, and are now getting pulled into the gutter here. If guys are cheating, I hope they get caught, but to just make general accusations against anyone with ZERO evidence is irresponsible and ridiculous.

DC
Racer X

Honest question, if you hope the guys who are cheating (or have cheated) get caught, why not start an investigation? You run the most prestigious journalistic body within the sport, if anyone has the power or connections to investigate, surely it would be RacerX.

I'm not trying to be rude or accusatory, it just seems like passing the buck to say you hope they are caught when you seem to be uniquely positioned to catch them.

Edit: JT and Matthes admitted knowing about PED us on the Pulp show this Monday. Talked about it casually, said it happened in the past.
Rhino
12/15/2017 9:23am
Here is more food for thought. After reading of Chris Foomes drug test failure I decided to see what the drug he was caught for could...
That's ridiculous. Now you got me googling, at $20.49 through a pet supply this is in anyone's budget.

Probably gonna need a script from your vet.

No longer can you buy EQ, Dianabol, Tren or anything else at the Vet supplies unless you find one really lax.
Now you know why alot of bodybuilders live in areas where they have a cow or some goats, chickens etc.
Access to Vet drugs. Problem is now it's all scheduled, same as Heroin, so its not so easy anymore.

MelonFan123
12/15/2017 9:25am
TriggerWarned, MXKing809:

What do you guys honestly expect to happen? Baseball, Cycling and any other major mainstream sports have SO MUCH more attention and resources on them. Reporters from all over the world, mainstream media coverage, etc. Our sport has none of that. What do you really think could be done, DC does some big exposé where he interviews people on the record and they name names (ohhh shocked!). It's a he said/she said scenario. That would do or prove NOTHING. Cycling keeps their sophisticated testing samples for years of further analysis. Even baseball had no such thing but it took government intervention and a Senate hearing for players to admit it under oath. I mean the biggest stars in "Americas Pastime" were getting yoked up beyond recognition year after year with millions of eyeballs on them and they finally decided to do something about it. Sorry but Motocross ain't getting no Senate hearing.

I'm not saying you guys are right or wrong, but stomping your feet and demanding that something be done is so far from reality. Did dudes use stuff back in the day? Probably. Is there any way to prove it today, not really. But we can convincingly say that no top rider has had an unfair advantage and used PEDs during the last 8-9 years since WADA/USADA became involved. Is that not enough for you guys??
Jt$
12/15/2017 9:25am
MxKing809 wrote:
Perfect. I appreciate the reply Davey, and know you have done your due diligence since taking over the MX series. You confirmed my point. [b]It is...

You confirmed my point.

Careful there... I think you may have linked me into something I didn't say. I would be very specific on this. I haven't ever had anyone admit anything to me when it comes to this subject.
DC
12/15/2017 9:26am Edited Date/Time 12/15/2017 9:29am
"Honest question, if you hope the guys who are cheating (or have cheated) get caught, why not start an investigation?"

We don't have the time or money to investigate the past. We can't hire scientists and investigators like crusading French news bureaus and sporting bodies did for a decade in France. We don't have the blood tests or urine samples from before USADA came along like they did for the Tour de France. And we don't have a mandate or subpoena power to challenge anyone's personal health records or anyone suing a rider like they went after Lance Armstrong. We have anecdotal tales and people suspicious of trainers and past champions, but no real basis other than "if it happened in these other sports, then it happened in our sport." And that's not enough for the monumental task that would entail.

But if we did, then we might as well test to see who was riding high in the seventies, on coke in the eighties, on ecstasy in the nineties... Or maybe tear down the motors of every bike after the Production Rule went into effect in the eighties, the suspension of every bike in the nineties, the noise level of every four-stroke since Doug Henry... And should we go back and do concussion testing on Jim Pomeroy? Jeff Stanton? Travis Pastrana? Mike Alessi?

We are doing what we can to build records and data, given the responsibility we now have, but we can't build on what don't have or didn't exist in the past.

DC
Racer X
NorCal 50+
12/15/2017 9:31am
I am kind of hating that DC is getting back up against a wall here. He's being very restrained - every complaint about the sport seems to land on his shoulders. I don't think any of this is on him.
Rhino
12/15/2017 9:33am
DC wrote:
"Maybe thats why he defends it so vigorously...his life has been built on the lie." You're kidding, right? I'm not defending the use of PEDs, I...

You're kidding, right?

DC
Racer X

Honest question, if you hope the guys who are cheating (or have cheated) get caught, why not start an investigation? You run the most prestigious journalistic...
Honest question, if you hope the guys who are cheating (or have cheated) get caught, why not start an investigation? You run the most prestigious journalistic body within the sport, if anyone has the power or connections to investigate, surely it would be RacerX.

I'm not trying to be rude or accusatory, it just seems like passing the buck to say you hope they are caught when you seem to be uniquely positioned to catch them.

Edit: JT and Matthes admitted knowing about PED us on the Pulp show this Monday. Talked about it casually, said it happened in the past.
Thats a little harsh!?
One admitted Growth use on a podcast. That said, it's no different than someone saying they drove drunk all the time. Could be true, could be bullshit.

Without failed tests that have been swept under the rug and stuff like other sports, or people coming out saying they doctored the results and stuff as well, it's all just talk.

However, Even Fake nattys will never admit to use. Their whole livelyhood depends on the lie of selling bullshit supplements to look like them.

How do you sell Bullshit Brand Supps, by admitting you're doing 4 or 5 grams of gear per week?

mauidex
12/15/2017 9:39am
NorCal 50+ wrote:
I am kind of hating that DC is getting back up against a wall here. He's being very restrained - every complaint about the sport seems...
I am kind of hating that DC is getting back up against a wall here. He's being very restrained - every complaint about the sport seems to land on his shoulders. I don't think any of this is on him.
and DC only has any type of official involvement with the racing side of it in MX, SX has no MX Sports involvement. Now as far as being "the guy" that needs to do a "60 minutes" on industry doping 20 years ago is pure insanity!!
BobKerr
12/15/2017 9:49am
kaptkaos wrote:
My only disagreement with JT and Mathes was that they blew it off as something that would really help a mid pack rider. I strongly disagree...
My only disagreement with JT and Mathes was that they blew it off as something that would really help a mid pack rider. I strongly disagree with that.

I feel about this the same as I feel about cycling and baseball. I think its ridiculous to perform a witchhunt about the past. If you had a system in place and you didnt catch the athlete, shame on you. You cant go examining in the past with new technology and destroying the sports heroes. You either catch them red handed during the act, or you move ahead and do better.

I am no fan of Armstrong or Bonds but hunting them down retroactively is not good for the sport. Ending JS7's career for Adderal is also not something I am a fan of.

Lets equate physical fitness as the ultimate advantage in MX/SX because talent is prevalent at this level. You give 4 guys a trainer like Baker and its akin to using a legal PED, so how can you take Osbourne in 2016 and make him a champion in 2017? Fitness, legal fitness. A PED is an illegal fitness enhancer and will help as well.

Should it be banned, yes. Should we be on a witchhunt into the past, no.
Listen to the podcast with Daniel Blair.
12/15/2017 9:54am
DC wrote:
"Honest question, if you hope the guys who are cheating (or have cheated) get caught, why not start an investigation?" We don't have the time or...
"Honest question, if you hope the guys who are cheating (or have cheated) get caught, why not start an investigation?"

We don't have the time or money to investigate the past. We can't hire scientists and investigators like crusading French news bureaus and sporting bodies did for a decade in France. We don't have the blood tests or urine samples from before USADA came along like they did for the Tour de France. And we don't have a mandate or subpoena power to challenge anyone's personal health records or anyone suing a rider like they went after Lance Armstrong. We have anecdotal tales and people suspicious of trainers and past champions, but no real basis other than "if it happened in these other sports, then it happened in our sport." And that's not enough for the monumental task that would entail.

But if we did, then we might as well test to see who was riding high in the seventies, on coke in the eighties, on ecstasy in the nineties... Or maybe tear down the motors of every bike after the Production Rule went into effect in the eighties, the suspension of every bike in the nineties, the noise level of every four-stroke since Doug Henry... And should we go back and do concussion testing on Jim Pomeroy? Jeff Stanton? Travis Pastrana? Mike Alessi?

We are doing what we can to build records and data, given the responsibility we now have, but we can't build on what don't have or didn't exist in the past.

DC
Racer X
Thank you for your response and time.

I guess my own ignorance limits my understanding of what is realistic and what is achievable in reality in regards to investigations and finding facts.

If I came off as disrespectful I did not mean to, but thank you for responding.
early
Fantasy
2231st
12/15/2017 9:57am
DC wrote:
"Honest question, if you hope the guys who are cheating (or have cheated) get caught, why not start an investigation?" We don't have the time or...

DC
Racer X
This.
Rhino
12/15/2017 10:00am
kaptkaos wrote:
My only disagreement with JT and Mathes was that they blew it off as something that would really help a mid pack rider. I strongly disagree...
My only disagreement with JT and Mathes was that they blew it off as something that would really help a mid pack rider. I strongly disagree with that.

I feel about this the same as I feel about cycling and baseball. I think its ridiculous to perform a witchhunt about the past. If you had a system in place and you didnt catch the athlete, shame on you. You cant go examining in the past with new technology and destroying the sports heroes. You either catch them red handed during the act, or you move ahead and do better.

I am no fan of Armstrong or Bonds but hunting them down retroactively is not good for the sport. Ending JS7's career for Adderal is also not something I am a fan of.

Lets equate physical fitness as the ultimate advantage in MX/SX because talent is prevalent at this level. You give 4 guys a trainer like Baker and its akin to using a legal PED, so how can you take Osbourne in 2016 and make him a champion in 2017? Fitness, legal fitness. A PED is an illegal fitness enhancer and will help as well.

Should it be banned, yes. Should we be on a witchhunt into the past, no.
BobKerr wrote:
Listen to the podcast with Daniel Blair.
For recuperation yes. But in SX, you gotta screw your old lady longer than a SX main.

If you cant last that long, you're just lazy and not riding enough.
And SXs are at like 60 degrees!
Adam43
12/15/2017 10:01am
DC wrote:

DC
Racer X
No resources to investigate?

It could be as simple as reaching out to some past riders, and seeing what they have to say regarding the issue? The answers you get off the record may surprise you.

Recent events have shown that WADA protocols do not prove much of a deterrent - rather it leads the athlete towards a professionalized PED program.

I have the utmost respect for you, your passion for this sport, and your willingness to have a dialog with fans. What this seems to be is a story that absolutely no one in the industry has the appetite to investigate.

If not our journalists, then who?

Johnny Depp
12/15/2017 10:07am
Great answer DC.

"But if we did, then we might as well test to see who was riding high in the seventies, on coke in the eighties, on ecstasy in the nineties... Or maybe tear down the motors of every bike after the Production Rule went into effect in the eighties, the suspension of every bike in the nineties, the noise level of every four-stroke since Doug Henry... And should we go back and do concussion testing on Jim Pomeroy? Jeff Stanton? Travis Pastrana? Mike Alessi?"

We don't need any * asterisk's in the record books.

MxKing809
Fantasy
334th
12/15/2017 10:09am Edited Date/Time 12/15/2017 10:13am
MxKing809 wrote:

You confirmed my point.

Jt$ wrote:
Careful there... I think you may have linked me into something I didn't say. I would be very specific on this. I haven't ever had anyone...
Careful there... I think you may have linked me into something I didn't say. I would be very specific on this. I haven't ever had anyone admit anything to me when it comes to this subject.
Fair enough. If I misunderstood what was said on the show, I apologize and definitely do not want to put words in your mouth.

Steve on the other hand was very clear.....

And let me be clear. I am a Pulp junkie. I love the honesty and content that you both provide. The LAST thing I want to do I is get either of you in hot water for saying X or Y while other people keep their mouths shut. In this situation, Steve said he had riders admit use to him in the past..... that’s a huge deal to me.
Matthes
12/15/2017 10:13am
MxKing809 wrote:
Fair enough. If I misunderstood what was said on the show, I apologize and definitely do not want to put words in your mouth. Steve on...
Fair enough. If I misunderstood what was said on the show, I apologize and definitely do not want to put words in your mouth.

Steve on the other hand was very clear.....

And let me be clear. I am a Pulp junkie. I love the honesty and content that you both provide. The LAST thing I want to do I is get either of you in hot water for saying X or Y while other people keep their mouths shut. In this situation, Steve said he had riders admit use to him in the past..... that’s a huge deal to me.
WTF is anyone supposed to do here, "Hey Rider X, Y and Z...did you take substance B 15 years ago like you told Matthes?"

Rider: "No"

Well ok then. There's nothing to go back and test and I have zero proof other than some conversations.

Think about the stories I've seen and heard about cheating with the production rule by different teams. Want to go back on that also?

Chill down bro, you're being ridiculous. There's no proof of anything. Any "investigation" leads to......nothing.
MxKing809
Fantasy
334th
12/15/2017 10:18am
DC wrote:
MXKing809, unless they have sworn testimony, physical blood evidence and a failed test that can be proven to have not been compromised over the years, I...
MXKing809, unless they have sworn testimony, physical blood evidence and a failed test that can be proven to have not been compromised over the years, I don't know that anything can be done to any athlete post-facto.

And when did the guys say this? Because no one told me, and Jason just told me on the phone he's never had anyone admit this. So which series, which years, which drugs?

I don't think rewriting the record book based on anecdotal/incomplete evidence is wise in any sport.

DC
Racer X
And I get that.

I know it’s not your responsibility or financial obligation to run down these stories, and I know you’re doing the absolute best you can to keep the sport clean. Hopefully my questions haven’t painted the picture that I feel you are to blame or not doing a good job.

Thank you for your replies. I wanted to confirm that it was in fact against the rules before you took rein, which you helped us out with on with an answer.

NV825
Fantasy
2740th
12/15/2017 10:20am Edited Date/Time 12/15/2017 10:21am
Adam43 wrote:
No resources to investigate? It could be as simple as reaching out to some past riders, and seeing what they have to say regarding the issue...
No resources to investigate?

It could be as simple as reaching out to some past riders, and seeing what they have to say regarding the issue? The answers you get off the record may surprise you.

Recent events have shown that WADA protocols do not prove much of a deterrent - rather it leads the athlete towards a professionalized PED program.

I have the utmost respect for you, your passion for this sport, and your willingness to have a dialog with fans. What this seems to be is a story that absolutely no one in the industry has the appetite to investigate.

If not our journalists, then who?

These guys have the resources and they have no skin in the game. Send them a note and see if they take it on. I'm going to preface it for you to not get your hopes up, because in the grand scheme of the sports world MX/SX is a very small niche player.

New York Times

Washington Post

Los Angeles Times

USA Today
bama205
12/15/2017 10:22am
Tracktor wrote:
Am I one of the only people who doesn't give two shits if there are PED's in MX or not?..........
Im sure there are other people out there that wouldn't mind if their teenage son felt they HAD to start on various PEDs to progress into...
Im sure there are other people out there that wouldn't mind if their teenage son felt they HAD to start on various PEDs to progress into the professional ranks of the sport...
They probably smoke weed too.

Post a reply to: Matthes, JT comments on PEDs

The Latest