Matthes, JT comments on PEDs

Related:
Create New Tag

12/13/2017 1:29 PM

I actually found the comments from JT and Matthes pretty disturbing on Monday's Pulp Show. I have a lot of respect for both these dudes, as an addicted Pulp listener from the beginning.

However, after joining in on some Jeff Alessi flogging and ridicule, JT basically said: yes, it occurred and he knew it (HGH?) but it was a decade ago so it doesn't matter. He said it doesn't really help in motocross much anyhow because it is a sport based on skill and reflexes, not strength, and he even said athletes using certain substances were "trying to better themselves." (Correct me if I'm wrong JT)

The basic message was "don't go runnin' down the reputation of pro mx just because some riders dabbled in when it was in the news a lot because of baseball." So simultaneously saying that it went on, but it no big deal, is kind of odd.
A decade ago, RC was running his last season as the most dominant rider in mx history, including ridiculous feats like lapping entire fields etc. and Jeff Alessi and Mike Alessi were a couple years into their pro careers. HGH apparently wasn't against the rules back then, IDK.

IMO, hell yeah it matters if doping was going on, especially in an era where the same pros are still collecting LARGE CHECKS from motorcycle companies based on their accomplishments. I am one fan that sat through 99% of the pro SX and outdoor races of the 90s, 2000s and 2010s. It is important to me if some were taking substances.

Also, JT and Matthes both work for (and are very loyal to) the promoter of the outdoor motocross series. I am not making any accusation about them (or RC) but this does not position them well for any investigative journalism on this issue, which they are clearly pretty much indicating they are ready to sweep under the rug. So maybe instead of participating in the public hanging of Jeff, people should be more open-minded that there is something here.

|

It's impossible for a corporation or government to love you or care about you.

12/13/2017 1:31 PM

Let it go. Unless you have proof aint shit gonna happen. Theres zero way youre going to spit swap RC and find proof. Really let it go

|

2009 Kawasaki KX450F
2009 Kawasaki KX250F
2002 Suzuki GSXR 600

12/13/2017 1:36 PM

GTFO

|

12/13/2017 1:42 PM

And now for another episode of “As the Sprocket Bolts Turn...” lol

|

12/13/2017 1:42 PM

Am I one of the only people who doesn't give two shits if there are PED's in MX or not?..........

|

12/13/2017 1:43 PM

And the witch hunt continues

|

12/13/2017 1:44 PM

If you think anything that can be injected will make you a multiple time champion then you have zero real world experience in AAS or HGH. Now coming back from a major or severe injury, knee, tib/fib, destroyed elbow and wrist, in six months and looking like you walked off the cover of muscle and fitness then I think we can have a discussion. The reality is the rest of us take 12-18 months to heal and gain 50-75 pounds and can’t run around the block when released by the doc let alone 30 minute motos and looking better prepared than last year. The difference here is riding Motocross is a hobby of ours and a multi million dollar job to them.... if it was my job I would do whatever it takes to get on the bike as fast as possible again and so would everyone else.

|

Never try to argue with idiots; they will only bring you down to their level.....and being more experienced, they will beat you at their own game!

2020.5 KTM 450 SXF FE
2006 KX250

12/13/2017 1:44 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/13/2017 1:46 PM

Tracktor wrote:

Am I one of the only people who doesn't give two shits if there are PED's in MX or not?..........

Now there are 2 of us

Furthermore, if it wasn't being monitored 10 years ago then ANYONE could have had that (slight) advantage if they chose to. Just because someone didn't, doesn't make the person who used wrong as there was no rules to prevent it.

|

12/13/2017 1:46 PM

Tracktor wrote:

Am I one of the only people who doesn't give two shits if there are PED's in MX or not?..........

Nope... I’ll add a shit, so between the two of us there are 3 shits not given.

|

Never try to argue with idiots; they will only bring you down to their level.....and being more experienced, they will beat you at their own game!

2020.5 KTM 450 SXF FE
2006 KX250

12/13/2017 1:46 PM

investigative journalism in MX??????

grin grin grin


|

12/13/2017 1:47 PM

Tracktor wrote:

Am I one of the only people who doesn't give two shits if there are PED's in MX or not?..........

bvm111 wrote:

Nope... I’ll add a shit, so between the two of us there are 3 shits not given.

I'd like to be the 3rd amigo. Baseball was more fun with steroids anyways.

|

If it can't be fixed with a hammer, it's an electrical problem.

12/13/2017 2:00 PM

Tracktor wrote:

Am I one of the only people who doesn't give two shits if there are PED's in MX or not?..........

I don't give a fuck either bro.

|

12/13/2017 2:04 PM

Flip109 wrote:

And now for another episode of “As the Sprocket Bolts Turn...” lol

Dude, you win bahaha!

|

"A link is only as long as your longest strong chain"

12/13/2017 2:05 PM

Tracktor wrote:

Am I one of the only people who doesn't give two shits if there are PED's in MX or not?..........

bvm111 wrote:

Nope... I’ll add a shit, so between the two of us there are 3 shits not given.

SeaClassExpert wrote:

I'd like to be the 3rd amigo. Baseball was more fun with steroids anyways.

I guess that is one way of looking at it. With all the focus on the "science of SX" etc. and the technical aspects of racing, you would think endurance doping would be relevant. I always viewed outdoor moto as an endurance sport. We know JS7 got IVs at the races and got busted for Aderall with no TUE- there is definitely a huge grey area in this sport that I guess is accepted. Nothing will ever take away from how gnarly the sport really is.

|

It's impossible for a corporation or government to love you or care about you.

12/13/2017 2:10 PM

Tracktor wrote:

Am I one of the only people who doesn't give two shits if there are PED's in MX or not?..........

Nope...

|

12/13/2017 2:18 PM

Tracktor wrote:

Am I one of the only people who doesn't give two shits if there are PED's in MX or not?..........

Tuna wrote:

Nope...

Count me in.....that’s like 7 or 8? My guess is they are pushing the edge anyway!

|

12/13/2017 2:27 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/13/2017 2:35 PM

3 days before the first sx they should let everyone know that everyone who signs up at A1 will be tested after the race....for a beginning of the year baseline, then see how many guys call in sick!

Repeat process for the first Outdoor National!
“IF” they really cared about cheating!

My guess is it’s more like the government and cigarettes, throw out enough stuff to have the appearance of caring but make a butt load of cash off the taxes!

|

12/13/2017 2:41 PM

Tracktor wrote:

Am I one of the only people who doesn't give two shits if there are PED's in MX or not?..........

Tuna wrote:

Nope...

kkawboy14 wrote:

Count me in.....that’s like 7 or 8? My guess is they are pushing the edge anyway!

I'm somewhere between that and you can't prove a fucking thing anyways cause there wasn't testing so who gives a shit with a little bit of what about the kids

|

Cheers, Crush
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


12/13/2017 2:47 PM

All sports should allow PED's

|

12/13/2017 2:56 PM

B-b-b-but that Lance Armstrong is a sorry mf'r, right?

|

12/13/2017 3:00 PM

NorCal 50+ wrote:

I actually found the comments from JT and Matthes pretty disturbing on Monday's Pulp Show. I have a lot of respect for both these dudes, as an addicted Pulp listener from the beginning.

However, after joining in on some Jeff Alessi flogging and ridicule, JT basically said: yes, it occurred and he knew it (HGH?) but it was a decade ago so it doesn't matter. He said it doesn't really help in motocross much anyhow because it is a sport based on skill and reflexes, not strength, and he even said athletes using certain substances were "trying to better themselves." (Correct me if I'm wrong JT)

The basic message was "don't go runnin' down the reputation of pro mx just because some riders dabbled in when it was in the news a lot because of baseball." So simultaneously saying that it went on, but it no big deal, is kind of odd.
A decade ago, RC was running his last season as the most dominant rider in mx history, including ridiculous feats like lapping entire fields etc. and Jeff Alessi and Mike Alessi were a couple years into their pro careers. HGH apparently wasn't against the rules back then, IDK.

IMO, hell yeah it matters if doping was going on, especially in an era where the same pros are still collecting LARGE CHECKS from motorcycle companies based on their accomplishments. I am one fan that sat through 99% of the pro SX and outdoor races of the 90s, 2000s and 2010s. It is important to me if some were taking substances.

Also, JT and Matthes both work for (and are very loyal to) the promoter of the outdoor motocross series. I am not making any accusation about them (or RC) but this does not position them well for any investigative journalism on this issue, which they are clearly pretty much indicating they are ready to sweep under the rug. So maybe instead of participating in the public hanging of Jeff, people should be more open-minded that there is something here.

When there was no testing for anything except for recreational drugs, why wouldn't you try to push the envelope and see what you can take to make you better? There are millions of dollars at stake after all.

Consequently, why would you try that when there is such testing in the sport and when you look at our top guys, none of them appear to be some machines without flaws so why couldn't you accept that there's no way PED's are running around the pits like Jeff says they are. Are there dudes breaking the rules? Probably but there's no way I believe it's a huge issue in the sport. In talks with riders now, ex-riders who had these elite trainers, teams, the trainers themselves, I just don't see it being so widespread.

Getting huge wouldn't help a racer out as we've all detailed and any of the blood doping stuff that I've read about and talked to people about is too expensive, takes too much knowledge from chemists/trainers that only the top guys could afford it. And back to the top guys getting tested randomly throughout the season to take that risk.

As far as us working for the promoter of the MX series, any listener of mine knows that I think and have said over and over that there should be random motorhome checks for IV's at the nationals (although really, the amount of motorhomes are WAY down from where they once were). I asked someone in power about that one time and they told me it's private property and you couldn't enforce that.

I'm just not sure why the sport that has WADA and USADA testing (agencies that are accepted worldwide to be the best) in it is STILL being called into question as being some drug-fueled race to pump the best drugs into your system? Like, what else could be done by "the sport" to stop the guys IF, and it's a big if, they wanted to cheat?

|

Mathis is getting weeded out of the pro pits one team at a time he and his almighty will be outsiders soon.

12/13/2017 3:05 PM

I'm waiting on the real scandal to hit. You know it's coming...

I know some bastard podium guy sexually harassed a Monster/Rockstar Girl and when THAT comes out there is gonna be Hell to pay.whistling

|

You kids get off my lawn!

2013 KTM450 Factory Edition
Projects......lots of projects!

12/13/2017 3:10 PM

NorCal 50+ wrote:

I actually found the comments from JT and Matthes pretty disturbing on Monday's Pulp Show. I have a lot of respect for both these dudes, as an addicted Pulp listener from the beginning.

However, after joining in on some Jeff Alessi flogging and ridicule, JT basically said: yes, it occurred and he knew it (HGH?) but it was a decade ago so it doesn't matter. He said it doesn't really help in motocross much anyhow because it is a sport based on skill and reflexes, not strength, and he even said athletes using certain substances were "trying to better themselves." (Correct me if I'm wrong JT)

The basic message was "don't go runnin' down the reputation of pro mx just because some riders dabbled in when it was in the news a lot because of baseball." So simultaneously saying that it went on, but it no big deal, is kind of odd.
A decade ago, RC was running his last season as the most dominant rider in mx history, including ridiculous feats like lapping entire fields etc. and Jeff Alessi and Mike Alessi were a couple years into their pro careers. HGH apparently wasn't against the rules back then, IDK.

IMO, hell yeah it matters if doping was going on, especially in an era where the same pros are still collecting LARGE CHECKS from motorcycle companies based on their accomplishments. I am one fan that sat through 99% of the pro SX and outdoor races of the 90s, 2000s and 2010s. It is important to me if some were taking substances.

Also, JT and Matthes both work for (and are very loyal to) the promoter of the outdoor motocross series. I am not making any accusation about them (or RC) but this does not position them well for any investigative journalism on this issue, which they are clearly pretty much indicating they are ready to sweep under the rug. So maybe instead of participating in the public hanging of Jeff, people should be more open-minded that there is something here.

Matthes wrote:

When there was no testing for anything except for recreational drugs, why wouldn't you try to push the envelope and see what you can take to make you better? There are millions of dollars at stake after all.

Consequently, why would you try that when there is such testing in the sport and when you look at our top guys, none of them appear to be some machines without flaws so why couldn't you accept that there's no way PED's are running around the pits like Jeff says they are. Are there dudes breaking the rules? Probably but there's no way I believe it's a huge issue in the sport. In talks with riders now, ex-riders who had these elite trainers, teams, the trainers themselves, I just don't see it being so widespread.

Getting huge wouldn't help a racer out as we've all detailed and any of the blood doping stuff that I've read about and talked to people about is too expensive, takes too much knowledge from chemists/trainers that only the top guys could afford it. And back to the top guys getting tested randomly throughout the season to take that risk.

As far as us working for the promoter of the MX series, any listener of mine knows that I think and have said over and over that there should be random motorhome checks for IV's at the nationals (although really, the amount of motorhomes are WAY down from where they once were). I asked someone in power about that one time and they told me it's private property and you couldn't enforce that.

I'm just not sure why the sport that has WADA and USADA testing (agencies that are accepted worldwide to be the best) in it is STILL being called into question as being some drug-fueled race to pump the best drugs into your system? Like, what else could be done by "the sport" to stop the guys IF, and it's a big if, they wanted to cheat?

Wads and Usada is being called into question because they never caught Lance and others.

I outlined something they could do in my previous post. Establish a baseline at the beginning of the year for everyone and then random test after that.

|

12/13/2017 3:10 PM

Tracktor wrote:

Am I one of the only people who doesn't give two shits if there are PED's in MX or not?..........

Im sure there are other people out there that wouldn't mind if their teenage son felt they HAD to start on various PEDs to progress into the professional ranks of the sport...

|

12/13/2017 3:46 PM

So last week DC writes in Racerhead that it's crazy to discredit RC for using PEDs but now Matthes says no big deal, no real rule against it so it was fine to do? Sorry for calling Jeff crazy, guess he wasn't totally off base.

|

12/13/2017 3:54 PM

I would rather it be wide open. It's almost impossible to catch them anyway in any sports. Those with money can "cheat" better, it's like having a works bike. Open it up. If it wasn't an advantage they wouldn't be doing it in every sport, so saying it doesn't help is BS.

MX Sports has made a noble attempt to police it. It is wasted money. Look what JS7's ruling did to the sport, and imagine a bunch of people being outed. The upside of testing is not worth the risk of a bombshell announcement for the promoter's and teams. The Weinstein theory, when you open the floodgates it get's out of control real fast. Take that away from the ones that want to out everyone, make it legal. These are adult professional athletes, and the "proof" of long term damage doesn't exist, and it is a risk they might be willing to take anyway for millions.

|

2015 Beta 500 RS, history: 99 KTM 300, 87 CR250, 84 KLR 600, 82 GPZ 550, 81 KX 250, 80 KX 250, 79 Montesa 414 VE, 78 250 VB, 77 360 VB, 76 360 VA, 75 YZ 125, 74 TM 125, 72 TS 125, 60's West Bend Go Boy Kart

12/13/2017 3:54 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/13/2017 5:48 PM

I'm semi with op here. If you seriously think that it does not existed in mx/sx as it does in every other sport, bahaha. Get your "that f word" head out of the sand. Whether it's for, the most prominent issue in our sport, speeding up rehab due to injuries or any other enhancement issue, it is definitely there. Because you dont know or hear of it does not absolve it of being present. Trust me you, where there is a market, not talking of our simple sport, there is someone spending the money to compete in that market and constantly refining how to be the best or in this market, being undetectable. And some in our quaint little sport most likely do have the resources, as every other sport does.

Damn whiskey, how'd it get me to comment on this garbage.
Ps respect to all that can type out this shit on their phones with no errors...
Edit to add. I do believe that MX sports/Feld are doing what they can, it's just the simple principle of staying ahead of the curve. Which without, there would never be advancement, in anything.

|

12/13/2017 4:00 PM

kkawboy14 wrote:

Wads and Usada is being called into question because they never caught Lance and others.

I outlined something they could do in my previous post. Establish a baseline at the beginning of the year for everyone and then random test after that.

They basically do that with biopassports...

|

12/13/2017 4:02 PM

yak651, I think it's unfair to insinuate of any rider before drug-testing that they must have been cheating. I disagree with Matthes in implying that of anyone just because the temptation might be there. That's irresponsible as well as unfair to guys who busted their asses and won races on their talent and work ethic, not drugs.

DC
Racer X

|

12/13/2017 4:04 PM

If they weren't testing for it back in the day then I don't see how its a scandal.
The sport currently employs the gold standard of testing in line with the rest of the sporting world, what more are they expected to do right now?

Im sure there were people competing enhanced back in the day, and im sure people are exploring the avenues in which to push the boundaries to this day.

What I don't understand is how anybody could possibly feel like Jeff Alessi is the person with the credibility and clout in the industry to bring this all to a head. No matter how correct or factual the message may be, people are always going to be skeptical based on the person delivering it.

|