Matrix tie-downs ARE JUNK

Related:
Create New Tag

8/1/2018 4:31 PM

Had a matrix tie-down break on me this morning on my way to work causing my bike to fall over and the brake lever to hit and completely shatter my rear window, costing me a nice $150. Shitty thing is they're only 6 months old. Looks like it's back to my 3 year old sun faded trusty fly racing ones

|

8/1/2018 4:34 PM

therj_629 wrote:

Had a matrix tie-down break on me this morning on my way to work causing my bike to fall over and the brake lever to hit and ...more

Post up a pic of the faulty tie downs so I'll know what to avoid pardner.

|

If it ain't yer's don't take it, If it ain't the truth dont say it, If it ain't right don't do it...Marcus Aurelius

8/1/2018 4:38 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/1/2018 4:39 PM

Ancra.... ‘nuff said

We’ve been using the same ones for 20+ years

|

8/1/2018 4:43 PM

Ancra has never failed me...I do also like the Pro Taper ones with the swivel carabiner.

I've owned the fatty matrix before and my carabiner's rusted and didn't swivel so i stopped using them before they had a chance to fail.

I will note, if you live in SO CAL the sun beating down on the tie downs you just leave in the bed of your truck will always wear out tiedowns quicker.

|

twist wrist and go...

brad@palmspringsmotorsports.com

8/1/2018 4:45 PM

I have also had the Matrix ones fail. I have had the some pair of High Roller (lame name I know) ones with the bottom clevis and they are my favorite ones. also Ancra's are great!

|

8/1/2018 4:46 PM

ancras aint what they used to be, i have 30 year old ones that are better than a pair i got last week, i run bike shoes in my trailer and pro taper tie downs in my truck which i have a habit of lending out and never getting back so i replace them at least once a year

|

8/1/2018 4:51 PM

pete24 wrote:

ancras aint what they used to be, i have 30 year old ones that are better than a pair i got last week, i run bike shoes in my ...more

Just so happens that I need to borrow some zoot capri tie downs that I have no intention of returning...can you hook me up buddy?devil

|

If it ain't yer's don't take it, If it ain't the truth dont say it, If it ain't right don't do it...Marcus Aurelius

8/1/2018 5:05 PM

The original Matrix phatty's are the best tie downs ever made. The current ones might be the worst.

|

8/1/2018 5:10 PM

zehn wrote:

Ancra.... ‘nuff said

^^ right here

Don’t know why someone would tie down their $8000+ bike with anything else..

|

8/1/2018 5:10 PM

pete24 wrote:

ancras aint what they used to be, i have 30 year old ones that are better than a pair i got last week, i run bike shoes in my ...more

plowboy wrote:

Just so happens that I need to borrow some zoot capri tie downs that I have no intention of returning...can you hook me up ...more

I just need to borrow one. Help a brother out...

|

8/1/2018 5:11 PM

^^^^ if no one spits their beer out over that one, I will be disappointed.

|

8/1/2018 5:16 PM

newmann wrote:

^^^^ if no one spits their beer out over that one, I will be disappointed.

I'm way too careful about drinking while reading the forum...I've learned my lesson.

|

8/1/2018 5:17 PM

jankymike wrote:

I have also had the Matrix ones fail. I have had the some pair of High Roller (lame name I know) ones with the bottom clevis ...more

I’ve been running the same set of High Rollers for 7 years, they are awesome.

|

8/1/2018 5:25 PM

The Pro Taper tiedowns with the swivel caribeneers on the bottom are the most legit and well made tiedowns in the history of MX. Used em all and the Pro Taper versions and worth their weight in gold.

|

8/1/2018 5:36 PM

ktmwoods wrote:

The Pro Taper tiedowns with the swivel caribeneers on the bottom are the most legit and well made tiedowns in the history of ...more

I’ve had the same set for close to 10 years now. 100% confidence in them

|

Do You Even...

8/1/2018 6:22 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/1/2018 6:22 PM

I use mostly friction style straps for convenience, after long tows they do start to fray but I understand their limitations compared to the ratchet strap style.

I will say I had the stitching come undone on a nearly new pair I bought from Bikebandit and my somewhat mint '74 CB550 ended up falling over in a trailer because of it. I check them more carefully now.

|

Nick
-2015 Grom grocery getter
-2011 Road King Classic
-2010 WR250X supermoto

8/1/2018 6:40 PM

ktmwoods wrote:

The Pro Taper tiedowns with the swivel caribeneers on the bottom are the most legit and well made tiedowns in the history of ...more

DYE wrote:

I’ve had the same set for close to 10 years now. 100% confidence in them

I've been using them for years too,the carabiner on the bottom is great,I hate it when a regular tie-down hook
falls off before you pull the strap down.

|

My photo gallery: www.pbase.com/thomasef

8/1/2018 6:54 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/1/2018 6:55 PM

ProTip. Put your bike in the truck bed on a diagonal with the front tire in the front left of the bed and the rear tire in the rear right of the bed. Put one strap on the front right cleat and one strap on the rear left cleat. Route both straps to the bars and lightly snug them down. Your bike will be secure, you'll be able to close the tailgate, and you are not fighting the fork springs to compress them down (which prolongs the life of your fork seals).

|

8/1/2018 8:18 PM

theycallmeebryan wrote:

ProTip. Put your bike in the truck bed on a diagonal with the front tire in the front left of the bed and the rear tire in the ...more

Ultimate pro tip - route both straps to the footpegs instead of the bars.

|

8/1/2018 8:20 PM

FMF tie-downs last forever & even stay put when I have a bike tied down in the back of truck while prerunning in Baja.

|

I ripped a start from Egypt and I was happy about that.

8/1/2018 8:28 PM

I like my motogate tie downs. They have the most robust carabiner I’ve found and are like old school ancras in the friction clamp.

|

8/1/2018 9:09 PM

I have a pair of black tiedowns with 'universal" printed in yellow on them and a nice bulky carabiner on them. They are the best tiedowns I ever used but I don't remember who who makes them. Power Tye were crap, loosened up on me a couple times.

|

The older I get, the faster I was.

8/1/2018 9:17 PM

High roller tie downs for me. They last forever.

|

8/1/2018 9:22 PM

ancra or fly for me. Im stuck withe the pro taper ones, and they suck

|

8/1/2018 9:27 PM

Pro Taper with the soft ties for the win. I bought a new pair with my last three bikes. The sun is their only kryptonite.

|

8/1/2018 9:39 PM

theycallmeebryan wrote:

ProTip. Put your bike in the truck bed on a diagonal with the front tire in the front left of the bed and the rear tire in the ...more

My bike was like this when my strap broke

|

8/1/2018 10:49 PM

I've been using the same set of Ancra's for about 25 years. No sign of stitching coming loose or wear. I'll probably buy another pair soon, but 100% trust at this point.

|

8/1/2018 11:00 PM

x5 on the Matrix being junk and the Pro Tapers being bulletproof.

|

8/1/2018 11:29 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/1/2018 11:30 PM

zehn wrote:

Ancra.... ‘nuff said

Brad460 wrote:

^^ right here

Don’t know why someone would tie down their $8000+ bike with anything else..

I asked my dad how old his oldest ones are. He said he still has ones that he bought in law school in LA, which would've been about 1972. He still uses them

|

8/1/2018 11:46 PM

Dang uve got me worried here. I got a pair 6 months ago...

|