Massachusetts teenagers fined $750 for riding on their own property

JustMX
Edited Date/Time 3/11/2020 9:37am
|
duckdog77
3/8/2020 6:35pm
If I’m reading correctly in Mass. you must register off road vehicles (presumably just like a car in most states) and if under the age of 16 must take some sort of off road safety course? None of which the kids had done.

Tickets a little hefty but you should know those laws if born and raised in the state. Not that I agree with it but if it’s the law follow it.

Be no different than being out hunting w/o a license or having not taken hunters education here in Indiana. I’d get a hefty fine, prolly lose my guns and all my meat if I was caught, even on my own property.
bugnboo
3/8/2020 8:11pm
Do these idiots not have anything better to do?
cowards,fight some real crime ffs

The Shop

Crossup
3/9/2020 4:50am
You have to have your ORV registered in MA via the office of the Environmental Police to ride even on private property. I have 22 acres with a trail system and everyone visiting is registered because the fines start at $500.

Oh, and the Environmental Police in MA have the same power as the State Police. A few years ago I had my older KTM frame powder coated, and during the sandblasting, the KTM VIN sticker came off. I was having a new placard made, but not before this guy stopped me just off the trail, pulled out a flashlight and started looking to match my VIN with my registration. He was going to confiscate my bike on the spot (I am 59 years old and not quite the profile of a motorcycle thief). Because I had my MSO/Title with me, he let me go.

rallendude
3/9/2020 5:16am
KDXGarage wrote:
"Elections have consequences."
^ This.
Yep. So much this. Do you guys remember Pastrana getting the same treatment years ago? It's on the grown-ups in the state. They voted/allowed the policies. Follow them or pay the price. I'm glad it's not like that here.
hellion
3/9/2020 5:42am
We're having a pretty big problem in western mass with 'wheelie boyz' riding the streets, it's been on the news every morning almost. The police think the public is dumb enough to believe that this is them doing something about the problem. Meanwhile, they are turning a blind eye to the real issue because catching the actual bad guys is hard, and probably dangerous. Shame on them
just James
3/9/2020 5:43am
KDXGarage wrote:
Careful now, you risk hurting someone's feelings with that political talk.
rallendude
3/9/2020 5:55am
hellion wrote:
We're having a pretty big problem in western mass with 'wheelie boyz' riding the streets, it's been on the news every morning almost. The police think...
We're having a pretty big problem in western mass with 'wheelie boyz' riding the streets, it's been on the news every morning almost. The police think the public is dumb enough to believe that this is them doing something about the problem. Meanwhile, they are turning a blind eye to the real issue because catching the actual bad guys is hard, and probably dangerous. Shame on them
Two totally separate and unrelated issues to the authorities. One is an issue the local police need to handle (wheelie boyz), and they won't for fear of bad press. The other is a state environmental issue. This takes FAR more precedence and needs immediate attention since it is an attack on the planet and it's well being. I'd like to put a sarcasm alert here but I don't think it's really warranted.
Skip Intro
3/9/2020 6:18am
hellion wrote:
We're having a pretty big problem in western mass with 'wheelie boyz' riding the streets, it's been on the news every morning almost. The police think...
rallendude wrote:
Two totally separate and unrelated issues to the authorities. One is an issue the local police need to handle (wheelie boyz), and they won't for fear...
Two totally separate and unrelated issues to the authorities. One is an issue the local police need to handle (wheelie boyz), and they won't for fear of bad press. The other is a state environmental issue. This takes FAR more precedence and needs immediate attention since it is an attack on the planet and it's well being. I'd like to put a sarcasm alert here but I don't think it's really warranted.
The planet lost that battle when a house was built, septic or sewer lines, well or water, concrete and landscaping. Driving or flying to a track once a year is doing more damage than a backyard romp.

Riding in one's own yard is rarely ok if you have neighbors. Depends on a lot of circumstances.
3/9/2020 8:55am
Crossup wrote:
You have to have your ORV registered in MA via the office of the Environmental Police to ride even on private property. I have 22 acres...
You have to have your ORV registered in MA via the office of the Environmental Police to ride even on private property. I have 22 acres with a trail system and everyone visiting is registered because the fines start at $500.

Oh, and the Environmental Police in MA have the same power as the State Police. A few years ago I had my older KTM frame powder coated, and during the sandblasting, the KTM VIN sticker came off. I was having a new placard made, but not before this guy stopped me just off the trail, pulled out a flashlight and started looking to match my VIN with my registration. He was going to confiscate my bike on the spot (I am 59 years old and not quite the profile of a motorcycle thief). Because I had my MSO/Title with me, he let me go.

I refuse to believe that picture isn’t some worthless slapdick trying to cosplay as Gomer Pyle.

Also, you have environmental police in MA? Not EPA, but actual Staties who focus on environmental issues?

Because holy fucking shit I don’t think I’d ever stop for one of these worthless excuses for human life.
3/9/2020 1:01pm
I was always willing to be reasonable until I had to be unreasonable. Sometimes reasonable men must do unreasonable things..
Lightning78
3/9/2020 2:43pm
Soooo California isn't the only ass backward state that's shitty to be a dirtbike rider in?

Huh.....go figure
Alex.434
3/9/2020 3:50pm
Wonder if they would have gotten busted if they were riding electric bikes :-D
Torco1
3/9/2020 4:09pm
Crossup wrote:
You have to have your ORV registered in MA via the office of the Environmental Police to ride even on private property. I have 22 acres...

How was he able to catch you with his pockets full of nickels?
wardy
3/9/2020 4:13pm
Same bullsht law tried to be passed here in IL a while back we beat it soundly but it took a few riders and families to hit the capital at the right time.
about 800 of use made them move to another room.

it didn't get out of committee.

political? sorry but keep voting these types of idiots into office, don't expect it to get better.

IL SUCKS for that.

byke
3/9/2020 5:10pm
KDXGarage wrote:
Ehhh, your message isn't entirely accurate. We can't see the future and every single one of them is going to do things we don't want and we don't get any say at all in 99.99% of all legislation created, so if there's a human in there, they're going to do something dumb no matter what and no matter what we say and they're not going to let us know about it beforehand.
defeatist45
3/9/2020 5:36pm
duckdog77 wrote:
If I’m reading correctly in Mass. you must register off road vehicles (presumably just like a car in most states) and if under the age of...
If I’m reading correctly in Mass. you must register off road vehicles (presumably just like a car in most states) and if under the age of 16 must take some sort of off road safety course? None of which the kids had done.

Tickets a little hefty but you should know those laws if born and raised in the state. Not that I agree with it but if it’s the law follow it.

Be no different than being out hunting w/o a license or having not taken hunters education here in Indiana. I’d get a hefty fine, prolly lose my guns and all my meat if I was caught, even on my own property.
On your own land? Fuck that. If it's my property I'll ride in my underwear with a pair of dragon goggles and a beer hat if I want to.
3/9/2020 6:04pm
duckdog77 wrote:
If I’m reading correctly in Mass. you must register off road vehicles (presumably just like a car in most states) and if under the age of...

Dude, are you seriously comparing riding a dirt bike to hunting without a license?
duckdog77
3/10/2020 2:24am
Just in the sense that you need licenses and permits to do either on your own property in certain states. Not in the sense of dangers each sport and different political issues you could get into with either of the two. If caught with out proper licenses and permits you can be ticketed and fined. Best example ever...probably not did not think people would look that deep into the example just referring to being ticketed for doing something on your own land that you didn’t have proper licensing and permits was not comparing riding a dirt bike to hunting directly...reason for said example is it seems people are focused on the “private property” aspect of the ticket. Was pointing out there are lot of things that you can be ticketed for on your own property. Not just riding a dirt bike. Whether it’s dumb or not. It’s the law in said state. Just because it’s dumb doesn’t change the fact it’s illegal to do. I for one agree with how dumb it is and don’t believe the kids should have been ticketed. Just stating if it’s illegal to do, it’s illegal to do, no matter what the activity and who’s land you are on.
Vet57
3/10/2020 9:06am
This stinkin state needs another tea party....besides the above pretty much nothing's legal and tax?.....ridiculous. Buy a vehicle for example, pay your sales tax...then whammy oh yeah there's a nice excise tax on it and every vehicle you own Every year. I could on...
Timo_2824
3/10/2020 9:29am
I live inside the city of Wichita and give my son rides around the yard, so far police haven't shown up. Seems a bit excessive, some people go into law enforcement with a chip on their shoulder and are just dicks. A warning would have been better for first time offenders, I got a $100 fine once by a Army Corps Park Ranger for cutting a tree that fell across a trail. Said I needed a permit to clear the trail...
fourfourone
3/10/2020 10:09am
hellion wrote:
same shit in CT too.

Post a reply to: Massachusetts teenagers fined $750 for riding on their own property

The Latest