Marvin's win bonus

Bauer
Edited Date/Time 4/30/2017 9:01am
Everyone knows that Marvin let Ryan by for the win. He did it because that is what teammates do, there was no other option. Every point matters and with Marvin having already been mathematically eliminated, it was a no-brainer.

Some people question why Marvin passed Dungey to begin with, if he was going to roll over like he did on the last lap. It's pretty simple: The only way Marvin could expect to collect the win bonus would be for him to be ahead of Ryan and in an obvious position to beat him. If Musquin had laid back in second it's doubtful that KTM would have paid him the win bonus. "Come on, Pit, I could have passed him and won!" probably would have fallen on deaf ears. The other reason that Marvin passed him is that Marvin was clearly comfortable racing at a faster pace than Dungey and it's not that easy to make yourself go slower...it messes with your timing and can cause crashes.

Bottom line is that Tomac unraveled like a cheap suit, ala Bradshaw in 1992. Dungey deserves the title, should he win it next week...and Musquin deserves the win bonus for tonight.
|
THEOUTSIDER
4/30/2017 1:06am
100% Agree.

I also wonder if Marvin also wanted to play the rabbit (as I posted earlier) and actually help Dunge by pulling him along as well as show him a few lines, thereby making Dunge faster for a bit before succeeding the lead?
andyman
4/30/2017 1:57am
100% Agree. I also wonder if Marvin also wanted to play the rabbit (as I posted earlier) and actually help Dunge by pulling him along as...
100% Agree.

I also wonder if Marvin also wanted to play the rabbit (as I posted earlier) and actually help Dunge by pulling him along as well as show him a few lines, thereby making Dunge faster for a bit before succeeding the lead?
I was thinking that Marvin wants to go maximun speed on the early parts of the race because if Eli comes once again from behind. He could take points away from Eli if he get's front of Dungey. Smart play by Marvin anyways.
Xavier
4/30/2017 4:01am
Bauer wrote:
Everyone knows that Marvin let Ryan by for the win. He did it because that is what teammates do, there was no other option. Every point...
Everyone knows that Marvin let Ryan by for the win. He did it because that is what teammates do, there was no other option. Every point matters and with Marvin having already been mathematically eliminated, it was a no-brainer.

Some people question why Marvin passed Dungey to begin with, if he was going to roll over like he did on the last lap. It's pretty simple: The only way Marvin could expect to collect the win bonus would be for him to be ahead of Ryan and in an obvious position to beat him. If Musquin had laid back in second it's doubtful that KTM would have paid him the win bonus. "Come on, Pit, I could have passed him and won!" probably would have fallen on deaf ears. The other reason that Marvin passed him is that Marvin was clearly comfortable racing at a faster pace than Dungey and it's not that easy to make yourself go slower...it messes with your timing and can cause crashes.

Bottom line is that Tomac unraveled like a cheap suit, ala Bradshaw in 1992. Dungey deserves the title, should he win it next week...and Musquin deserves the win bonus for tonight.
This.
TXDirt
4/30/2017 4:05am
100% Agree. I also wonder if Marvin also wanted to play the rabbit (as I posted earlier) and actually help Dunge by pulling him along as...
100% Agree.

I had similar thought in another thread. Marvin being out front gave Dungey someone to chase so Dungey probably was able to turn faster laps then if he laid up behind Dungey. they didn't know the melt down Eli was having. So with Marvin up front that could take points away from Eli if needed. Was a smart move overall. Not to mention Marvin was clearly faster then Dungey.

The Shop

JSmith
4/30/2017 4:52am
Agree 100% with both Bauer and Outsider.
4/30/2017 5:15am Edited Date/Time 4/30/2017 5:34am
Typically when a team mate helps out another team mate the one coming through is faster! This was obviously not the case and was a blatant manipulation of the race/results. It's not even questionable, it is fact.

The sports legitimacy and integrity both decreased a little regarding results/championships(? TBD). And just because you can give examples of other motorsports doing the exact same thing does not negate my previous sentence in the least.

And to top it off, the OP now explains to us how Marvin will use "blackmail" for "win" bonus money! And most are fine with that.

Look I get it, I do. And truly my opinion doesn't make one bit of difference to any of the parties involved. I'm just an almost retired spectator(stopped riding in 2012) stating an opinion for a sport I've loved since... '86.

I find it sad and will just look at the sport a little less endearing than I use to.
olds cool
4/30/2017 5:32am
Should Dungey give Marv a nice chunk of his championship bonus also? Not saying he should or shouldn't. Just throwing it out there. A steak dinner for sure though!
Flip109
4/30/2017 5:42am
I'm sure Dungey will give him the proper reach around lol
Fresh
Fantasy
3304th
4/30/2017 6:30am
100% Agree.

I wonder what the lap times were like
MXD
4/30/2017 6:33am
I agree 100%.
Shenzi
Fantasy
1233rd
4/30/2017 6:37am
Bauer wrote:
Everyone knows that Marvin let Ryan by for the win. He did it because that is what teammates do, there was no other option. Every point...

100% Agree!!
bents
Fantasy
710th
4/30/2017 6:50am
Bauer just dropped the mic on this whole deal. This is professional racing and teams and millions of dollars are involved. KTM built a team to win, a better team than any other manufacturer. The top 5 last night were KTM/Husky, (so KTM...). Domination.
4/30/2017 6:50am
I had a factory rider tell me the going rate was twice what you would have made for that race plus 10% of the championship bonus if that was part of the reason

Who pays it is what they can negotiate.
I can see Marvin being on Dungeys payroll. Its worth it. Even if Dungey paid out of pocket.

Say Marvin would have won 100K in race win bonuses etc total all inclusive.
Cost 200K.

Championship bonus pay to Dungey 1mm pkus another 1mm in bonuses from sponsors.
2 Mm in bonuses.

Cost, 200K

Sounds like the cost of doing business. Its a bargain. Even if the rider was cutting the check.

If you're out of contention anyway, you can order a lot of pizzas and take a nice nap with 400K of extra ching.
davistld01
4/30/2017 6:51am Edited Date/Time 4/30/2017 6:52am
Wow...can it be? A Musquin/Dungey thread that is actually not full of the most clueless meanderings ever?

This might hit the dumbgeon...Laughing

Yeah, Bauer nailed it perfectly.
BAMX
4/30/2017 7:05am
Bauer...That is a solid point about him being able to argue for the bonus. My guess is that Dungey will win the title by more than the 3 points and the whole thing will be nothing but nonsense for the haters to bring up. The reality is that this is a business and Marvin made a smart move by being a team payer.
dkg
4/30/2017 7:06am Edited Date/Time 4/30/2017 8:18am
Typically when a team mate helps out another team mate the one coming through is faster! This was obviously not the case and was a blatant...
Typically when a team mate helps out another team mate the one coming through is faster! This was obviously not the case and was a blatant manipulation of the race/results. It's not even questionable, it is fact.

The sports legitimacy and integrity both decreased a little regarding results/championships(? TBD). And just because you can give examples of other motorsports doing the exact same thing does not negate my previous sentence in the least.

And to top it off, the OP now explains to us how Marvin will use "blackmail" for "win" bonus money! And most are fine with that.

Look I get it, I do. And truly my opinion doesn't make one bit of difference to any of the parties involved. I'm just an almost retired spectator(stopped riding in 2012) stating an opinion for a sport I've loved since... '86.

I find it sad and will just look at the sport a little less endearing than I use to.
WOW, and Reed's antic of holding Dung up made it more endearing? Of all the nonsense that goes on every year, I just don't understand this having an effect on your feelings about the sport.

Bauer nailed it. And if we were all intellectually honest, odds are that the substantial majority on here would do the exact same thing for a friend and teammate. The rest probably truly are reclusive keyboard warriors.

P.S. Money isn't everything, I suspect the race bonus didn't factor into Marvin's decision.
yak651
Fantasy
214th
4/30/2017 7:13am
Just goes to show it pays to be nice to those around you. I'm sure if Ryan was an arrogant dink around Marvin he might've just forgot who was behind him and went on to win the race. You could see that they were true friends last year was Ryan was so happy and complimentary to Marvin when he started to have good results and was starting to match his pace. Even this year when Marvin started to beat him, he was still happy for him, I know I would give up instant gratification to help a friend achieve a long term goal.
newmann
4/30/2017 7:13am Edited Date/Time 4/30/2017 7:13am
Except for the Bradshaw part. Swing and a miss.
Johnny Depp
4/30/2017 7:24am
KTM would never write a check for a "win bonus" to provide evidence for any collusion. Stupid. Now the check might say something else on the memo line like "Best Teamate".

Marvin was riding off the main line and leaving the door open for a whole lap trying to give Dungey a chance to make it look better before he was forced to fake a mistake.

If every point matters, what about Grant not tipping over to let Eli by?
mark_swart
4/30/2017 7:29am
Here's another theory - Marvin and Ryan are buds. Marvin is already mathematically eliminated from the championship. I think it could have been because of the friendship rather than team orders.
Either way, I think we should see if the championship gets decided by less than three points before we go off the deep end.
But even if it was team tactics, it's definitely a bit more complicated on the personal side than Let Broc Bye!
slipdog
4/30/2017 7:30am
Hut wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/04/30/191678/s1200_shakeandbake.jpg[/img]

Fixed it for ya!

Hut
4/30/2017 7:32am
Perfecto! ^^^
Tbteam
4/30/2017 7:34am Edited Date/Time 4/30/2017 7:35am
i had to laugh a little watching the last lap. If you watch carefully, you can see Mavin trying to find a place to "make a mistake".

I was pulling for Eli, but it's hard to root against Dungey andMarvin. Two of the nicest guys in the sport.

Oh, and I'd guess Marvin's win bonus is secure.... and then some.
Bigfoot
4/30/2017 7:35am
Hannah collected his bonus in '76.
4/30/2017 7:36am
You all understand that it's as simple as Ryan and Marv swapping the 1st and 2nd place bonus money, right? Marv gets a bonus for 2nd, Ryan will likely just give him the amount to make up the difference.

Either way, they did what they needed to do, Eli threw it away, and with so many KTM's/Husky's in the top 10, I don't see Eli coming out with this title unless something catastrophic happens to Ryan in Vegas.
Hut
4/30/2017 7:44am
I think my opinion of MM just moved up.
hmmm exact opposite for me.

Post a reply to: Marvin's win bonus

The Latest