Marvin and the booing crowd at salt lake

magoo1982
4/29/2018 5:41pm Edited Date/Time 4/29/2018 5:42pm
When you try to grow a participation sport into a spectator sport these are the type of 'fans' you attract.
Most SX fans are monster truck fans that come to see big endo s on jumps .. Same Dumb Shits that wanted to change name of French Fries to Freedom Fries a few yrs. back
tobz
4/29/2018 5:51pm Edited Date/Time 4/29/2018 5:52pm
No Marvin fan here, he was rude AF at A2 when we asked how he was.

And as much as I'm not a fan of Anderson, he's deserved this championship. I hope he can get the job done.
byke
4/29/2018 6:31pm
byke wrote:
Yes, it's undoubtedly amplified because he's not 'murican.
TbonesPop wrote:
Bullshit, the guy was very well liked and received before the aggressive pass/takeout was made. He's one of the nicest guys in the sport. People are...
Bullshit, the guy was very well liked and received before the aggressive pass/takeout was made. He's one of the nicest guys in the sport. People are pissed about the take out - or they are not pissed about the take out and they are pissed about not owning it properly. But it doesn't have diddly to do where he's from.
I believe you're wrong and just being around the sport for a bit should be evidence enough. His pass was very similar to a hundred other passes and very rarely do the boo's extend to subsequent rounds. People used to boo Pourcel when he had done nothing wrong, he's just there on the podium happy and there's a group of 'necks boo'ing him. Happened all the time, same with JMB, heck even Reed saw plenty of it early on. It's compounded by the fact that Tomac is an outdoorsy kinda guy and is into hunting and finishing and whatnot, so he has a lot of fans of a certain type. And again, all I'm saying is that the Musquin hate is *amplified* by his nationality. It's not binary.
TDeath21
4/29/2018 6:33pm
Bunch of Tomac fanboys is all that is. If Tomac did the same thing they’d cheer their ass off. Anyone who booed there specifically because of Musquin’s move the week before is an absolute joke.

The Shop

kkawboy14
4/29/2018 6:38pm
I’m a Tomac guy.....I have no problem with with Moosecans pass!
TDeath21
4/29/2018 6:42pm Edited Date/Time 4/29/2018 6:43pm
We all agree what Marvin did was acceptable in that situation. Trouble is he didn't explain himself in a way that makes his haters happy. These...
We all agree what Marvin did was acceptable in that situation.

Trouble is he didn't explain himself in a way that makes his haters happy.

These bros are 100% honest in all explanations, especially on live television following an intense situation.

We perfect...own it.
Yeah that’s honestly why I’m not a fan of Musquin. Just own it.

“Yeah I had team orders to let Dungey by. He would have done the same for me. That’s what my team who pays me millions wanted me to do and I was out of championship contention. KTM has paid big money to have two top tier riders which gives them this major advantage. I would understand if Eli were upset about it. I was when Webb moved over for Martin a couple years ago. But that’s part of the sport and you’ve got to deal with it.”

“The win was on the line for a 450 SX main event on the final lap and three valuable points to keep me in contention for an outside shot at the championship. I went hard into that turn with the full intention of block passing him. He went wide and left the door open and then cut down hard and fast in the far inside rut. The ensuing result was a collision much harder than anticipated, but I did get in front of him to block him. It wasn’t a straight t-bone or anything and I’d have still safely made the corner with my line had he not been there. I know he’s upset, and I would be too. I just hope he can see my side of it.”

Those two responses would have given him a ton of respect. Just own it. Instead he said he made a mistake and got out of the rut in the former one and on the latter one tried to say Eli wasn’t in a racing line. Then unnecessarily brought up Vegas the year before.
TerryB
4/29/2018 6:45pm Edited Date/Time 4/29/2018 6:48pm
omalley wrote:
Many (myself included) think the pass was okay, and would’ve done the same for 100k (and what now appears to be 3 crucial points). It’s his...
Many (myself included) think the pass was okay, and would’ve done the same for 100k (and what now appears to be 3 crucial points). It’s his bullshit trying to explain it away that gets me. If he had said “I’m out here racing for the win, 100k and 3 more points that could prove important, I’ll do what I need to do” I’d have totally respected that. I think many others would’ve as well. But when you are in an enthusiast spectated sport, don’t insult a fan base’s intelligence by giving a bullshit answer when most of us have been on both sides of aggressive passes/take-outs and know it when we see it.
“...But when you are in an enthusiast spectated sport, don’t insult a fan base’s intelligence by giving a bullshit answer when most of us have been on both sides of aggressive passes/take-outs and know it when we see it.”

Wrong. The majority of spectators in attendance have never ridden a motorcycle.
4/29/2018 7:05pm
We all agree what Marvin did was acceptable in that situation. Trouble is he didn't explain himself in a way that makes his haters happy. These...

These bros are 100% honest in all explanations, especially on live television following an intense situation.

We perfect...own it.
TDeath21 wrote:
Yeah that’s honestly why I’m not a fan of Musquin. Just own it. “Yeah I had team orders to let Dungey by. He would have done...

“Yeah I had team orders to let Dungey by. He would have done the same for me. That’s what my team who pays me millions wanted me to do and I was out of championship contention. KTM has paid big money to have two top tier riders which gives them this major advantage. I would understand if Eli were upset about it. I was when Webb moved over for Martin a couple years ago. But that’s part of the sport and you’ve got to deal with it.”

“The win was on the line for a 450 SX main event on the final lap and three valuable points to keep me in contention for an outside shot at the championship. I went hard into that turn with the full intention of block passing him. He went wide and left the door open and then cut down hard and fast in the far inside rut. The ensuing result was a collision much harder than anticipated, but I did get in front of him to block him. It wasn’t a straight t-bone or anything and I’d have still safely made the corner with my line had he not been there. I know he’s upset, and I would be too. I just hope he can see my side of it.”

Those two responses would have given him a ton of respect. Just own it. Instead he said he made a mistake and got out of the rut in the former one and on the latter one tried to say Eli wasn’t in a racing line. Then unnecessarily brought up Vegas the year before.
Awesome. Owned. Humbled. You had a week to formulate those responses...he had moments.

Maybe your expectations are just a tad bit high...his job is to win races...
not make us feel good about the state of humankind.
TDeath21
4/29/2018 7:07pm

We perfect...own it.
TDeath21 wrote:
Yeah that’s honestly why I’m not a fan of Musquin. Just own it. “Yeah I had team orders to let Dungey by. He would have done...

Awesome. Owned. Humbled. You had a week to formulate those responses...he had moments. Maybe your expectations are just a tad bit high...his job is to win...
Awesome. Owned. Humbled. You had a week to formulate those responses...he had moments.

It’s not that hard to not lie and not make shit up.
milliebays
4/29/2018 7:08pm
Sideways wrote:
Marvin said in an interview after the race that it was a hard night with the crowd and especially at the opening ceremonies. Was everyone booing...
Marvin said in an interview after the race that it was a hard night with the crowd and especially at the opening ceremonies. Was everyone booing him or did something else happen? Anyone have a vid?

I dont get why people are SO angry at him for the pass on tomac, we see agressive and dirty passes all the time in this sport. Are people extra angry because hes not american? I see ALOT of people on Instagram calling him a french f*g etc etc.
omalley wrote:
Many (myself included) think the pass was okay, and would’ve done the same for 100k (and what now appears to be 3 crucial points). It’s his...
Many (myself included) think the pass was okay, and would’ve done the same for 100k (and what now appears to be 3 crucial points). It’s his bullshit trying to explain it away that gets me. If he had said “I’m out here racing for the win, 100k and 3 more points that could prove important, I’ll do what I need to do” I’d have totally respected that. I think many others would’ve as well. But when you are in an enthusiast spectated sport, don’t insult a fan base’s intelligence by giving a bullshit answer when most of us have been on both sides of aggressive passes/take-outs and know it when we see it.
this x 9000. all you saying its the takeout itself are strawmanning.
milliebays
4/29/2018 7:09pm

We perfect...own it.
TDeath21 wrote:

Awesome. Owned. Humbled. You had a week to formulate those responses...he had moments. Maybe your expectations are just a tad bit high...his job is to win...

thats what character is, isn't it? how you act under pressure. some have it some dont. period.
TerryB
4/29/2018 7:09pm
Plenty of French riders that are endeared in the USA, Pourcell, JMB, Ferrandis, (Hell i think people even like DV...) I don't dislike MM but there...
Plenty of French riders that are endeared in the USA, Pourcell, JMB, Ferrandis, (Hell i think people even like DV...) I don't dislike MM but there is something there that just rubs you wrong. He comes across like a little kid that just did something wrong and doesn't want to tell his parents what he did, His days of cross jumping and not holding lines to block then acting like it never happened. Like others have mentioned if he would just say fuck yeah I held that guy up or took him out, I'm trying everthing in my toolbox to win!
Pourcel, JMB, and DV all had a lot of "haters"
I live in a pretty “Redneck” area. I personally know guys who dislike foreign riders, especially the French, and give me shit about “always” being a fan of French “fag” riders, (I take heat for being a Davalos fan as well). I think those sentiments are a lot more common than people want to admit. I hear it frequently.

mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
4/29/2018 7:20pm Edited Date/Time 4/29/2018 7:21pm

We perfect...own it.
TDeath21 wrote:

This. All he had to do was own both situations and he would have been fine. He refused to do that in both situations. He brought the booing on himself. No one to be mad at but himself.

Do I dislike him for being French? No. I don’t like him because I never liked his cross jumping and I really don’t like the fact that he won’t own up to last weekend and letting Dungey by.
JM485
4/29/2018 7:26pm
When you try to grow a participation sport into a spectator sport these are the type of 'fans' you attract.
Ladies and gentlemen we have a winner!
4/29/2018 7:28pm

OK...lets stipulate...he f*cked up. We were all lied too. It feels awful...I feel dirty like some piece of cheap trash. This guy needs to be taught a lesson....you dont lie to us Frenchie. We know this game...maybe even better that you do Pro.

We will keep on booing you and flaming you on all forums...you can count on it, till the next rider that assaults our tender sensibilities....

We are real fans bro...dont forget that. To heck with your fast lap times and competitiveness....we want the whole package...not just someone who wins...and then has some crappy lie to foist upon us like we dont know whats up.
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
4/29/2018 7:46pm
HenryA wrote:
Probably the same kind of guy that made the comment on Marvins IG-page calling Marvin an ungrateful f*uck for coming to the US and challenging US...
Probably the same kind of guy that made the comment on Marvins IG-page calling Marvin an ungrateful f*uck for coming to the US and challenging US riders when USA saved France under WW2. "Should've stayed in Europe, eurotrash" LOL
I’m looking, but I don’t see the funny part?

Marv got blasted with boos during rider intros, but folks sure seemed (to me) a lot kinder after the race.
tobz
4/29/2018 7:55pm
TDeath21 wrote:

milliebays wrote:
thats what character is, isn't it? how you act under pressure. some have it some dont. period.
“True character is revealed in the choices a human being makes under pressure - the greater the pressure, the deeper the revelation, the truer the choice to the character's essential nature.” - Robert Mckee
KennyT
Fantasy
233rd
4/29/2018 7:56pm Edited Date/Time 4/29/2018 7:58pm
I’m American but I like the majority of the riders from overseas. I like that the best in the World leave the comfort of home to come kick arrogant American ass on their home soil. What makes me this way is because the top American riders don’t have the balls/courage to do the same and go after a World title. Some have tried, got their asses kicked and quit, others went and stuck it out. My hero’s are the Lackey, LaPorte, Parker etc

I may lay out a boo for Marvin if he did something wrong, but he didn’t,
So I’m sure not going to boo him because of where he was born

Bunch of hillbilly’s....no offense hillbilly Smile
Rdubs19
4/29/2018 7:56pm
I am extremely interested to know how many of the people hurling french related epithets at him could find France on an unlabeled map of the world.
gnarwhip
4/29/2018 8:00pm
The funny thing is Marvin just made career long enemies with Tomac, and he has never even beaten Tomac straight up. Never once passed him cleanly and pulled away. Cool move, Marv lol. Not smart.
TbonesPop
Fantasy
321st
4/29/2018 8:05pm

You're right, his job is to win races...not to make us feel good about the state of humankind.

Then don't f'ing whine about getting boo'd.
Wiff3
4/29/2018 8:10pm
I don't know if you guys remember Carmichael taking out Pastrana, or so everyone thought, at Indy. I think it was '02 or maybe '03. The entire crowd went insane. They booed Carmichael the rest of the night, and for the rest of the season. Funny thing was, it was Pastrana's fault. Pastrana even tried to say that during the interview afterward.

I didn't like Marvin's pass, but he's not a bad guy, and doesn't deserve to be treated like trash by the drunks in the crowd.

Time to move on folks.
TbonesPop
Fantasy
321st
4/29/2018 8:14pm
All you guys with boners about MM25's aggressive pass on Tomac better come out in full force support when Eli lays a good one on MM25 the next time he passes him. We all know it's coming. As Eli said, it won't be anything stupid. But rest assured, he's not going to be polite/clean the next time he passes MM25. So when he does it, I'll expect each and everyone one of you to own up to it.
4/29/2018 8:17pm
TbonesPop wrote:
You're right, his job is to win races...not to make us feel good about the state of humankind.

The booing is a far worse reflection on the booers then it is on Marv.
He'll come to terms with it pretty quickly and probably just feel sad for state of MX fandom in the U.S.
4/29/2018 8:22pm
TbonesPop wrote:
All you guys with boners about MM25's aggressive pass on Tomac better come out in full force support when Eli lays a good one on MM25...
All you guys with boners about MM25's aggressive pass on Tomac better come out in full force support when Eli lays a good one on MM25 the next time he passes him. We all know it's coming. As Eli said, it won't be anything stupid. But rest assured, he's not going to be polite/clean the next time he passes MM25. So when he does it, I'll expect each and everyone one of you to own up to it.
Once thing is for certain...Tomac wont disappoint us with this explanations. We know Pro, we speak Pro.
Expect nothing less than a fully honest, character filled recap of the on-purpose take out.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
4/29/2018 8:31pm
TbonesPop wrote:
All you guys with boners about MM25's aggressive pass on Tomac better come out in full force support when Eli lays a good one on MM25...
Agreed! But we both know it won’t happen like that
Betuel
4/29/2018 8:33pm
The dislike/booing of Marvin a subconscious psychological issue. People see Eli as the dominant/alpha rider and to have the inferior/subordinate rider Marvin come in on him like that, “clean him out” and try to usurp that status is what is making people mad and dislike/hate him. Just a thought...
milliebays
4/29/2018 9:33pm
TbonesPop wrote:

The booing is a far worse reflection on the booers then it is on Marv. He'll come to terms with it pretty quickly and probably just...
The booing is a far worse reflection on the booers then it is on Marv.
He'll come to terms with it pretty quickly and probably just feel sad for state of MX fandom in the U.S.
it's a reflection of a prolific disgust for being blatantly lied to.
milliebays
4/29/2018 9:34pm
Betuel wrote:
The dislike/booing of Marvin a subconscious psychological issue. People see Eli as the dominant/alpha rider and to have the inferior/subordinate rider Marvin come in on him...
The dislike/booing of Marvin a subconscious psychological issue. People see Eli as the dominant/alpha rider and to have the inferior/subordinate rider Marvin come in on him like that, “clean him out” and try to usurp that status is what is making people mad and dislike/hate him. Just a thought...
ppl like jessie james more than robert ford. ford shot him in the back. nothing new under the sun big dog.
bh84
Fantasy
1761st
4/29/2018 9:35pm
I said it right after his interview.

If he hadn’t tried to say it was Eli’s fault that they came together and owned the fact that he made a very aggressive move for a win I’d have less of a problem with it.

There’s no arguing that it was dirty, however, in certain situations, last lap of a 450 main event being one of them. Dirty riding is acceptable. But damn man. Own that shit, you did it, anyone with eyes could see it.

I’m an Eli fan, I know he’s no angel sometimes, but when he puts someone down and gets asked about it he lays it all out, like Coop at Daytona. “He was cross jumping me so I went for the takeout”

Simple, to the point and people understand. Marvin should have done the same.

Post a reply to: Marvin and the booing crowd at salt lake

The Latest