Marvin Musquin is a great story.

DanDunes818
Edited Date/Time 1/27/2012 1:17pm
What I'm most impressed with about Marvin Musquin is the journey he's taken to get there. He had decent success on 80's in France and finished top 3 in the Jr worlds on 125's in 2006 but he didn't exactly light it up when he first went pro in the GP's.

His first GP ever was Faenza late in the 2007 GP series. Just like ama amateurs at the last few rounds of the nationals Marvin comes out knowing he has to try and impress and make sure he gets some kind of help for the next year. The kid goes to work and pulls a 6th in his first GP heat and proved he had speed. He ends up doing horrible in the 2nd heat and he did pretty bad at the 1 other GP he raced in 07 but that one 6th in the first heat at Faenza was enough to get him help in 08.

In 2008 he wasn't a presence in the GP series really at all. His best was like a 8th overall in Germany and I think he maybe got one other top 10 the whole year. He was pretty much a consistent top 20 guy and he finished 14th in the series. I consider 2008 his rookie year and I would equate Marvins rookie year to someone like PJ Larsons rookie season last year. Or Zach Osbornes rookie ama year. Like PJ and Zach he would show at times top 5 speed but for the most part finished 11-20th overall.

Then Bamn!! 2009 appears.. The kid just shows up on what we in the states would consider a privateer Honda and just starts killing it. The kids confidence grew faster than anything I've witnessed in a long time and he started consistently landing on the podium and getting wins. Just imagine if PJ Larson was dominating the AMA this year instead of the Aussie nationals. That's the equivalent to what Marvin did in the GP's in 2009. I don't know what the hell happened during the off season between 08-09 but whatever it was it worked and it was impressive to watch happen.

During this time Stefan Everts was watching this phenom happen and coming up with scenarios, plays and strings he could pull to try and get Marvin on a orange bike. Then one of Stefan's scenarios happen and Shawn Simpson goes down with an injury. Then Stefan puts all those plays and pulled strings into full effect and literally steals Marvin away from his Honda team. Wasn't hard to convince Marvin to go since the Honda team was paying him nothing. They basically just provided him a bike and entry so it was a no brainer for Marvin. Marvin wins something like his first 6 motos on the orange bike and then Marvin even ends up missing a whole GP because KTM was being sued by his former Honda team. He still comes out and kills the last few rounds to win the mx2 title.

It has been a fun ride to watch filled with hard work ,dedication and some soap opera drama and I'm sure the best is yet to come.

The Marvin Musquin Story goes back to what I've said 1000 x's and recently while talking about Zach Osborne. You can't quit on the kids too quickly. In America when you ride around in 11-15th you end up getting shipped off (no offense Aussies) to Australia (PJ Larson) or to the GP's (Zach) if you're lucky. Most just end up on crappy equipment in the states and end up fading away like they weren't ever there. I know it would never happen but I wish sometimes that rookies were guaranteed three years to get there. The way it is now they get 1 maybe two years tops with a decent team to start getting on the podium or win. If not you got to go. I guarantee we've lost quite a few Marvin Musquins over the years because they just didn't get there fast enough.
|
ogdeno
6/2/2010 2:11am
Great story for sure, he's got a great future. Hopefully we get a lot more Musquin's in the GP's and the US. Got to say though, it's great seeing guys like Larson and Billy Mackenzie over here getting the job done.
DL
6/2/2010 2:19am
Good read..........
hoppsan
6/2/2010 2:27am
Good read indeed. Quite impressive to go from being a top20-top10 kind of guy to all of a sudden being the one to beat.

And yes, this sport, as many sports, fails to recognize late bloomers. Not everyone hits their prime at 17. It's a shame.
jo2910
6/2/2010 2:38am
Yeah good write up! Just a few things the thing with Marvin and that helped him a lot was his abilities on a SX track he spent all winters doing a lot of sx races across Europe and showing big potential! It's a bit like Vuillemin who really started making a name for himself in sx and then the MX results followed!

The big turn for MM is his association with Yannig Kervella former top racer and coach to Bolley and Tortelli they are really working well together.

And marvin signed with that Honda privateer team so that his brother would get a ride as well. When KTM came knocking on the door the team wasn't sure whether they would be able to finish the season due to budget issue and marvin was riding for free...

The Shop

joe101uk
6/2/2010 2:41am
There was an hour long tv programme on the other day about Marvin and his journey through motocross. He lives in a pretty small place and his practice track is a flat field that a local farmer lets him ride on. When i say a flat field, i really do mean a flat field. There's ruts on it...no jumps...and barrels marking out the turns. It really is World's apart from what Stewart get's to ride on everyday.
Sunhouse
6/2/2010 3:16am
Not to mention he´s a Frenchman who speaks good English without living stateside. Aslo, he smiles and seems like a nice guy. After growing up with Demaria, Pichon, Blooey,, Frossard and other French non-smilers, Musquin seem like a genuinly nice guy! Reminds me a bit of Ronron
johansen
6/2/2010 4:56am
Sunhouse wrote:
Not to mention he´s a Frenchman who speaks good English without living stateside. Aslo, he smiles and seems like a nice guy. After growing up with...
Not to mention he´s a Frenchman who speaks good English without living stateside. Aslo, he smiles and seems like a nice guy. After growing up with Demaria, Pichon, Blooey,, Frossard and other French non-smilers, Musquin seem like a genuinly nice guy! Reminds me a bit of Ronron
x2

Seems real genuine.
SMITH201
6/2/2010 5:28am
Unlinke CP, he seems like a good dude from the few times I saw interviews with him. He hauls and will be good to see him over here in the premier series next year. Now if we can just get Roczen, Herlings and Van Whorebeek over here there it would be sweet.
6/2/2010 6:11am
Great story Dan, and your right Marvin is an awesome rider, with him coming over here next yr, should make for a great series, indoors and out.
Crush
6/2/2010 6:12am
I agree, great story..

Simple fact is for every Barcia, Tomac, Stewart there are a heap of kids who get the wrong advice or bad luck and just need some time to get their shit together...

Tickle is a great example, some random injuries, not the class leader but I wouldn't be surprised to see him on a PC250 next year and winning a regional title...

Can't wait to see Marvin in SX!
ocscottie
6/2/2010 6:56am
joe101uk wrote:
There was an hour long tv programme on the other day about Marvin and his journey through motocross. He lives in a pretty small place and...
There was an hour long tv programme on the other day about Marvin and his journey through motocross. He lives in a pretty small place and his practice track is a flat field that a local farmer lets him ride on. When i say a flat field, i really do mean a flat field. There's ruts on it...no jumps...and barrels marking out the turns. It really is World's apart from what Stewart get's to ride on everyday.
I would like to see that Joe, is it online anywhere?

Isnt he only 20yrs old? thought i read that over the weekend and was surprised he was so young (was figuring at least 22ish)
joe101uk
6/2/2010 7:19am
joe101uk wrote:
There was an hour long tv programme on the other day about Marvin and his journey through motocross. He lives in a pretty small place and...
ocscottie wrote:
I would like to see that Joe, is it online anywhere? Isnt he only 20yrs old? thought i read that over the weekend and was surprised...

Isnt he only 20yrs old? thought i read that over the weekend and was surprised he was so young (was figuring at least 22ish)
I don't know if it's online anywhere. I'll have a look and see if i can find it. It was subtitled and i can't even remember the name of the show. I'm useless !
Neutra
6/2/2010 8:29am
Yannick Kervella saw the potential and really clicked well with the kid. The rest is history. A similar story happened in France a few years back with Sebastien Tortelli and Jacky Vimond former world champ and coach.
Marvin is even a better SX rider and all smiles. Look out Pourcel!
DanDunes818
6/2/2010 9:13am
Sunhouse wrote:
Not to mention he´s a Frenchman who speaks good English without living stateside. Aslo, he smiles and seems like a nice guy. After growing up with...
His attitude reminds me allot of Ronron as well. I think Marvin will have no problem fitting in here in the states and making a slew of fans. He seems to always be smiling. I also love how humble he is and how complimentary he is towards his competition. He genuinely seems happy for guys like Herlings when they step up to his pace and do well. He seems to welcome friendly competition. I don't buy the whole people don't like CP because if the language barrier argument. I personally like CP but most fans don't like CP because he's a cocky sob not because of the language barrier.
jeffro503
6/2/2010 9:21am
Dan I agree with you 100% on Marvin and CP. I'm also a huge fan of the G.P.'s myself , even though i stay away from the "We are better that you" type threads. If you ride MX....then i don't care what country you live in , you have my 100% total respect when you get to that level of racing.

BTW....watching the USGP was awesome! Some of those dudes have some cool style for sure! And Marvin........the dude is a class act , and an animal on a bike! Total respect man!
DanDunes818
6/2/2010 10:11am
jeffro503 wrote:
Dan I agree with you 100% on Marvin and CP. I'm also a huge fan of the G.P.'s myself , even though i stay away from...
Dan I agree with you 100% on Marvin and CP. I'm also a huge fan of the G.P.'s myself , even though i stay away from the "We are better that you" type threads. If you ride MX....then i don't care what country you live in , you have my 100% total respect when you get to that level of racing.

BTW....watching the USGP was awesome! Some of those dudes have some cool style for sure! And Marvin........the dude is a class act , and an animal on a bike! Total respect man!
Yeah Jeffro I need to start staying away from those us vs them threads as well. I find myself beating my head against the wall trying to convince completely closed minded morons that there's a whole world beyond the USA. It's a lost cause and I'm starting to see that.
mx.jah
6/2/2010 10:48am
jo2910 wrote:
Yeah good write up! Just a few things the thing with Marvin and that helped him a lot was his abilities on a SX track he...
Yeah good write up! Just a few things the thing with Marvin and that helped him a lot was his abilities on a SX track he spent all winters doing a lot of sx races across Europe and showing big potential! It's a bit like Vuillemin who really started making a name for himself in sx and then the MX results followed!

The big turn for MM is his association with Yannig Kervella former top racer and coach to Bolley and Tortelli they are really working well together.

And marvin signed with that Honda privateer team so that his brother would get a ride as well. When KTM came knocking on the door the team wasn't sure whether they would be able to finish the season due to budget issue and marvin was riding for free...
Exactly, SX was the key for him. It was always obvious he had loads of skills, but his physical development slowed down his outdoor progression. The guy still looks like a shrimp! But when a guy is so smooth indoor, he eventually finds a way to translate it outdoor, wether it's by working his shape, his toughness, growing bigger balls... The reverse is way more complicated. A Rattray or a Frossard won't ever make it indoors.

About his Honda deal, things are not simple since when the Hond team picked him up, the kid had no options and had already rudely ditched BUD Racing. He was supposed to get payed, but because of Giuseppe's uses they ran out of money, racing on the personal dime of the manager, who's not rich at all. The guy helped Marvin to get a red plate and got ditched like a piece of crap. Now his team isn't in GP's anymore.

Can't really put the blame on Marvin though, an athlete has to think about his career first and the choice was a no brainer as you said. If only Honda would have helped a little bit the team since they had the red plate he would have most likely finished the season in his team and get them a title.
DanDunes818
6/2/2010 12:36pm
I agree with pretty much everything you've said except the part about Rattray and Frossard not ever making it indoors. I'm sure they could learn the techniques required to go fast on a SX track. I believe all these guys can with work get the job done indoors and out. Especially Frossard. I think he has perfect form for SX. He is great at staying low off big jumps and his corner speed is blistering fast which is the most important skill in supercross. I also think Rattray may do well indoors I just think he needs to be on a 450 for that to happen. Unfortunately for Tyla he's had a rough 1st year in the states and unless he turns it around real quickly he'll never get a ride with a top tier 450 squad.

As far as the Honda situation w/Marvin like you said that's all Guiseppes fault. When a team is carrying the red plate they should be getting enough purse and or sponsor money to pay the rider. It's very unfortunate that the GP's are run by a money hungry,greedy dictator that because he's such a douche bag has to travel with body guards. It's very sad that a team that pretty much discovered and brought up a talent like Marvin and pretty much won the title last year is completely out of the GP's now.
Masonry
6/2/2010 12:50pm
Neutra wrote:
Yannick Kervella saw the potential and really clicked well with the kid. The rest is history. A similar story happened in France a few years back...
Yannick Kervella saw the potential and really clicked well with the kid. The rest is history. A similar story happened in France a few years back with Sebastien Tortelli and Jacky Vimond former world champ and coach.
Why would Pourcel need to look out? Shouldn't the riders that will be racing him look out?
Holigan
6/2/2010 1:12pm
He sure dominated last weekend. No one was even close.
DanDunes818
6/2/2010 1:44pm
Neutra wrote:
Yannick Kervella saw the potential and really clicked well with the kid. The rest is history. A similar story happened in France a few years back...
Masonry wrote:
Why would Pourcel need to look out? Shouldn't the riders that will be racing him look out?
Masonry.. You sure go out of your way to nit pick everyone's comments. It's very true the by the time Marvin gets to the states CP will be on 450's and not racing him but maybe Neutra was saying a couple years from now CP should watch out for Marvin. Either way correcting everyone is not only a way to try to make yourself looks smarter than everyone it's also a way to make yourself look like a bigger douche than everyone.

Just sayin...
Masonry
6/2/2010 1:46pm
Neutra wrote:
Masonry wrote:
Masonry.. You sure go out of your way to nit pick everyone's comments. It's very true the by the time Marvin gets to the states CP...
Masonry.. You sure go out of your way to nit pick everyone's comments. It's very true the by the time Marvin gets to the states CP will be on 450's and not racing him but maybe Neutra was saying a couple years from now CP should watch out for Marvin. Either way correcting everyone is not only a way to try to make yourself looks smarter than everyone it's also a way to make yourself look like a bigger douche than everyone.

Just sayin...
Oh my bad... sorry for bringing intelligence to the discussion.
johansen
6/2/2010 4:00pm
ocscottie wrote:
I would like to see that Joe, is it online anywhere? Isnt he only 20yrs old? thought i read that over the weekend and was surprised...

I think you can find it on extremebits.
6/2/2010 5:32pm
Marvin Musquin is a great story?

It's a good story but I wouldn't say a great story. A great story would be something like this:

Roger Douchewally was born with no limbs and the doctors told him at the age of two that he would never ride motocross. But, through the miracle of prosthetics he was ambulatory at the age of six. Always the optimist, Douchewally persevered being involved in several stem cell clinical trials that netted him the missing limbs by the age of thirteen. Armed with renewed confidence (pardon the pun), he began racing motocross and quickly advanced through the ranks. Pundits speculated that a factory ride was forthcoming. But as fate would have it, a camaraderie with a fellow rider named Lawrence derailed his lifelong ambitions and sent him tailspinning into a world of anti social behavior and drunken delusory where he emerged a wiser but less athletically inclined individual. Today, Douchewally coaches aspiring young motocrossers to 'never bite the hand that feeds you'...
sxf138
6/2/2010 5:44pm
Good post dandunes, was never familiar with marvin, but now i am.
DanDunes818
6/2/2010 6:59pm
Marvin Musquin is a great story? It's a good story but I wouldn't say a great story. A great story would be something like this: Roger...
Marvin Musquin is a great story?

It's a good story but I wouldn't say a great story. A great story would be something like this:

Roger Douchewally was born with no limbs and the doctors told him at the age of two that he would never ride motocross. But, through the miracle of prosthetics he was ambulatory at the age of six. Always the optimist, Douchewally persevered being involved in several stem cell clinical trials that netted him the missing limbs by the age of thirteen. Armed with renewed confidence (pardon the pun), he began racing motocross and quickly advanced through the ranks. Pundits speculated that a factory ride was forthcoming. But as fate would have it, a camaraderie with a fellow rider named Lawrence derailed his lifelong ambitions and sent him tailspinning into a world of anti social behavior and drunken delusory where he emerged a wiser but less athletically inclined individual. Today, Douchewally coaches aspiring young motocrossers to 'never bite the hand that feeds you'...
ClassCC there's no way in the world I would ever try to say that The Musquin story even comes close to the Duchewally story. Douchewally was/is a true American hero and is in a class all his own.
11/16/2010 2:37pm
Musquin already one second per lap faster than Short on the KTM SX track ...

Wink
mjskier
11/16/2010 3:08pm
It's a good story but I wouldn't say a great story. A great story would be something like this:...

Wow! That is indeed a great story.

Another great story is a kid who ended up paralyzed after a bad moto accident and came back to win 2 SX titles and almost 2 MX titles when it was pretty obvious that he is still dealing with the accident side effects.

My theory is that the Marvin's love fest will last until he starts spanking the local boys. Then the haters will come out in force.
MXMattii
11/16/2010 3:08pm
I agree with pretty much everything you've said except the part about Rattray and Frossard not ever making it indoors. I'm sure they could learn the...
I agree with pretty much everything you've said except the part about Rattray and Frossard not ever making it indoors. I'm sure they could learn the techniques required to go fast on a SX track. I believe all these guys can with work get the job done indoors and out. Especially Frossard. I think he has perfect form for SX. He is great at staying low off big jumps and his corner speed is blistering fast which is the most important skill in supercross. I also think Rattray may do well indoors I just think he needs to be on a 450 for that to happen. Unfortunately for Tyla he's had a rough 1st year in the states and unless he turns it around real quickly he'll never get a ride with a top tier 450 squad.

As far as the Honda situation w/Marvin like you said that's all Guiseppes fault. When a team is carrying the red plate they should be getting enough purse and or sponsor money to pay the rider. It's very unfortunate that the GP's are run by a money hungry,greedy dictator that because he's such a douche bag has to travel with body guards. It's very sad that a team that pretty much discovered and brought up a talent like Marvin and pretty much won the title last year is completely out of the GP's now.
"It's very unfortunate that the GP's are run by a money hungry,greedy dictator"

OOH AMEN!
pt046
11/16/2010 3:09pm
Musquin already one second per lap faster than Short on the KTM SX track ...

Wink
Marvin will be good this year....KTM might be on top of the box with him.

Post a reply to: Marvin Musquin is a great story.

The Latest