Marv

JMMcMac127
Edited Date/Time 4/27/2021 6:10am
Why would Marv ditch the neck brace then put it on for the interview then ditch it again for the main? Maybe a comfort thing, but then to put it on for the interview seemed fake and would hurt his sponsor/consumer point of view.

|
88FYNN88
4/14/2021 4:14am
100% must have to do with sponsors.
4/14/2021 4:21am
Maybe because Ryan Hughes has been mentioning his poor riding style due to neck brace in his videos but his sponsor still wants it on.
JMMcMac127
4/14/2021 5:23am
I would like to know his thoughts after this long of wearing one, even the shittier first generation ones. I hear he is retiring after this year, so to ditch it this late in his career is very curious to me.

I don’t necessarily think it hinders riding style/form as much as people just having bad technique in general that isn’t because of the neck brace but I would really like to know what he thinks.
Naoooch
4/14/2021 6:32am
In his recent fall he broke his neckbrace.
So the hit was massive and he possibly have an injury on the shoulder where the brace sit. So can't race with it.

The Shop

tingo
4/14/2021 6:33am Edited Date/Time 4/14/2021 6:34am
Holtslayer wrote:
Maybe because Ryan Hughes has been mentioning his poor riding style due to neck brace in his videos but his sponsor still wants it on.
If Marv listened to Ryan Hughes he'd likely be out there riding with an energy crystal lodged firmly in his exhaust to properly power his chakra. Hughes knows a lot about riding, but the dude is as kooky as they come.

On a serious note, it does seem odd that Marv took it off. He just recently posted a video from one of his crashes in which he was discussing the neck brace and how it did its job to protect him.
88FYNN88
4/14/2021 7:00am
Naoooch wrote:
In his recent fall he broke his neckbrace. So the hit was massive and he possibly have an injury on the shoulder where the brace sit...
In his recent fall he broke his neckbrace.
So the hit was massive and he possibly have an injury on the shoulder where the brace sit. So can't race with it.
This was my other thought. He could have an injury(Cut, Bruise, or something ) that made the brace uncomfortable to wear.
mx510
Fantasy
1744th
4/14/2021 9:45am
What I don't understand is Ricky mentions the neck brace being off right before his podium interview and then when he comes on its radio silence. All of us were wondering what's up. Get a clue broadcast team, you CANT let that slip.
Single_Sac
4/14/2021 11:05am Edited Date/Time 4/14/2021 11:13am
I thought it was odd that Ricky said, no neck brace.

I even had to rewind the DVR make sure I wasnt hearing things. Marvin is like the french in fries for McDonald's when associating a neck brace to a pro-rider.

Didn't Marvin just put out a testimonial on his neck brace from a prior crash?

I thought it was odd. Maybe Marvin simply forgot to put it on. Shows that marketing is effective for Vitals keyboard junkies.

PS:. I'd imagine it would be difficult to win a race if there was a lingering injury that prevented Marvin from wearing the brace.
hubbardmx50
4/14/2021 11:22am
Something's fishy. Hopefully he puts it back on. It's very discouraging to see all these top guys ditching their braces this year IE. Anderson Sexton Barcia and now Marv. To each their own but In my opinion it's also setting a bad example for young kids. If none of the top guys wear one while racing Supercross why should Patrick Potato wear one while riding in his backyard? I get that there's no definitive proof but the point is to help mitigate injury.
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
4/15/2021 9:36am
mx510 wrote:
What I don't understand is Ricky mentions the neck brace being off right before his podium interview and then when he comes on its radio silence...
What I don't understand is Ricky mentions the neck brace being off right before his podium interview and then when he comes on its radio silence. All of us were wondering what's up. Get a clue broadcast team, you CANT let that slip.
I know! That's as important as the starting blocks!
4/15/2021 3:28pm
Holtslayer wrote:
tingo wrote:
If Marv listened to Ryan Hughes he'd likely be out there riding with an energy crystal lodged firmly in his exhaust to properly power his chakra...
If Marv listened to Ryan Hughes he'd likely be out there riding with an energy crystal lodged firmly in his exhaust to properly power his chakra. Hughes knows a lot about riding, but the dude is as kooky as they come.

On a serious note, it does seem odd that Marv took it off. He just recently posted a video from one of his crashes in which he was discussing the neck brace and how it did its job to protect him.
Energy is everything. Closed mindedness is kooky.
spimx
4/15/2021 3:56pm
I feel like Marv hasn't been the same since Brian got paralyzed. It's sad and I wish the neck brace would progress to protect riders better.
4/15/2021 4:12pm
spimx wrote:
I feel like Marv hasn't been the same since Brian got paralyzed. It's sad and I wish the neck brace would progress to protect riders better.
I also feel Marvin has so much ahead of him outside of MX and would like to see him retire.
Sorry to say I think another championship has sailed.
chasetwo79
4/15/2021 4:19pm Edited Date/Time 4/15/2021 4:20pm
Something's fishy. Hopefully he puts it back on. It's very discouraging to see all these top guys ditching their braces this year IE. Anderson Sexton Barcia...
Something's fishy. Hopefully he puts it back on. It's very discouraging to see all these top guys ditching their braces this year IE. Anderson Sexton Barcia and now Marv. To each their own but In my opinion it's also setting a bad example for young kids. If none of the top guys wear one while racing Supercross why should Patrick Potato wear one while riding in his backyard? I get that there's no definitive proof but the point is to help mitigate injury.
After all this time, there hasn’t been concrete proof that they actually work. But what is proven is how much they hinder your ability to look side to side when riding, which can for sure be a detriment to your safety.

Cue the downvotes now...
MKMX
4/16/2021 10:55pm
On the subject of neck braces, I noticed Jason Anderson hasn’t been wearing one either! Marv’s being Leatt and JA’s being Alpinestars makes it that much more curious.
austin_bo
Fantasy
239th
4/17/2021 6:21am
MKMX wrote:
On the subject of neck braces, I noticed Jason Anderson hasn’t been wearing one either! Marv’s being Leatt and JA’s being Alpinestars makes it that much...
On the subject of neck braces, I noticed Jason Anderson hasn’t been wearing one either! Marv’s being Leatt and JA’s being Alpinestars makes it that much more curious.
Barcia, Anderson, Sexton, and now Marv. I also noticed Schock dropped his this year as well. Is there anyone in the premiere class that is still wearing one?
BobPA
4/17/2021 9:43am
Because neck braces are stupid and they don't protect your neck.
JMMcMac127
4/17/2021 9:44am
I wish one of the top guys who wore the current generation ones would provide some insight beyond “neck braces suck, they don’t work.” How do you know they don’t work? What made your opinion change after so long. I think as consumers and regular riders we could benefit greatly from a real rationale behind these. Keefer said even with the new ones they do not hinder him, yet he doesn’t wear one either. He also said from the get go he probably wouldn’t just because of comfort. My point is to the current pro riders who wore the new generations for so long all suddenly seemed to stop. Besides Chiz.

So, my point with this thread is maybe they would see it and respond publicly. (Slim chance I know)

I have a new atlas it doesn’t hinder my side to side vision as someone stated, I don’t notice it being uncomfortable riding, I do when sitting and talking on the bike but not riding.

MKMX
4/17/2021 10:09am
JMMcMac127 wrote:
I wish one of the top guys who wore the current generation ones would provide some insight beyond “neck braces suck, they don’t work.” How do...
I wish one of the top guys who wore the current generation ones would provide some insight beyond “neck braces suck, they don’t work.” How do you know they don’t work? What made your opinion change after so long. I think as consumers and regular riders we could benefit greatly from a real rationale behind these. Keefer said even with the new ones they do not hinder him, yet he doesn’t wear one either. He also said from the get go he probably wouldn’t just because of comfort. My point is to the current pro riders who wore the new generations for so long all suddenly seemed to stop. Besides Chiz.

So, my point with this thread is maybe they would see it and respond publicly. (Slim chance I know)

I have a new atlas it doesn’t hinder my side to side vision as someone stated, I don’t notice it being uncomfortable riding, I do when sitting and talking on the bike but not riding.

You have a whole team sponsored by Leatt and at least 4 guys who are sponsored by alpinestars who don’t wear one. I think that says enough.
TbonesPop
Fantasy
405th
4/17/2021 10:22am
I'm curious to see if riders who aren't wearing them this SX will wear them for MX. Some riders wear chest protectors, others don't.

I personally choose to wear one and don't give two fucks what the pros do. I'm not a pro. I have to go to work on Monday and have many responsibilities to my family and the people in our company (and their families) to stay healthy. I also don't give 2 fucks what Ryno has to say on the subject. Want to wear one, wear it. Don't want to wear one, then don't.
RichieW13
Fantasy
2913th
4/17/2021 10:54am
JMMcMac127 wrote:
I wish one of the top guys who wore the current generation ones would provide some insight beyond “neck braces suck, they don’t work.” How do...

MKMX wrote:
You have a whole team sponsored by Leatt and at least 4 guys who are sponsored by alpinestars who don’t wear one. I think that says...
You have a whole team sponsored by Leatt and at least 4 guys who are sponsored by alpinestars who don’t wear one. I think that says enough.
I don't think it says anything about efficacy.

It could just be that they don't like the way they feel.

For Marv, my best guess is that when he crashed and broke his neck brace a few weeks ago, it may have caused some sort of shoulder injury. Now, wearing the brace is painful, or he doesn't want to aggravate the injury.
MKMX
4/17/2021 11:39am
JMMcMac127 wrote:

MKMX wrote:
You have a whole team sponsored by Leatt and at least 4 guys who are sponsored by alpinestars who don’t wear one. I think that says...
RichieW13 wrote:
I don't think it says anything about efficacy. It could just be that they don't like the way they feel. For Marv, my best guess is...
I don't think it says anything about efficacy.

It could just be that they don't like the way they feel.

For Marv, my best guess is that when he crashed and broke his neck brace a few weeks ago, it may have caused some sort of shoulder injury. Now, wearing the brace is painful, or he doesn't want to aggravate the injury.
They all have the option to wear neck braces, much the same as knee braces, whether they’re sponsored by Alpinestars/Leatt/Atlas or not... the vast majority choose not to wear one.

A pro’s perspective will be as unique as the guys you line up with locally, everyone’s riding style and ability differs greatly, as does their preference, what works for one doesn’t work for another. It’s no use Tomac or Barcia or Marv saying they’re great or they’re not great because everyone will have a different experience.

If there was solid data that conclusively and undoubtably proved they worked, the manafacturers would flood the market with it to make their braces walk out the door.
JMMcMac127
4/17/2021 11:57am
TbonesPop wrote:
I'm curious to see if riders who aren't wearing them this SX will wear them for MX. Some riders wear chest protectors, others don't. I personally...
I'm curious to see if riders who aren't wearing them this SX will wear them for MX. Some riders wear chest protectors, others don't.

I personally choose to wear one and don't give two fucks what the pros do. I'm not a pro. I have to go to work on Monday and have many responsibilities to my family and the people in our company (and their families) to stay healthy. I also don't give 2 fucks what Ryno has to say on the subject. Want to wear one, wear it. Don't want to wear one, then don't.
This is about wear I’m at as well. I wear one, because of all the reasons you mentioned. And def agree with the Ryno stuff. He seems too far out there for me.
ZOBITO
4/17/2021 12:06pm
TbonesPop wrote:
I'm curious to see if riders who aren't wearing them this SX will wear them for MX. Some riders wear chest protectors, others don't. I personally...

Can't agree more.
Most pros would ride naked if they could.
Titan1
4/17/2021 12:28pm
TbonesPop wrote:

JMMcMac127 wrote:
This is about wear I’m at as well. I wear one, because of all the reasons you mentioned. And def agree with the Ryno stuff. He...
This is about wear I’m at as well. I wear one, because of all the reasons you mentioned. And def agree with the Ryno stuff. He seems too far out there for me.
I don’t think Ryno’s position on them has as much to do with the safety aspect (whether they work or not), as it does with the fact that it’s impossible to ride the bike with correct technique while wearing one.

We could all be significantly safer while wearing a fully inflated “sumo” type outfit (so we just bounce when we hit the ground) but it’s impossible to ride the bike correctly with one of those. So none of us would wear one...

we all have to make a decision on where we draw the line between functionality (being able to move and ride the bike with correct technique) and safety...as anything past the traditional “normal” safety gear (helmet, boots, goggles, gloves, pants, jersey) begins to affect how our bodies move, and thus affects how we are able to ride the bike.

I don’t care where anyone draws that line...full Fox titan body suit, knee braces, kidney belt, neck brace, etc.? good for you! None of that? Equally good for you!

But, it’s just not possible to ride a bike with correct technique while wearing a neck brace....it’s impossible. for those who trade off the advantages of improved technique, for the supposed safety of the neck brace...that’s your decision to make, and I’m cool with anyone that wears a neck brace.
ZOBITO
4/17/2021 12:45pm
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Musquin got two world titles and Anderson his SX title while they couldn't ride a bike with correct technique, since they both wore neck braces?
I didn't check, but they're probably not the only ones. I think Herlings won in MX2 wearing one too...
Laughing
Titan1
4/17/2021 12:47pm
JMMcMac127 wrote:

Can’t prove a negative (that they don’t work)...the burden of proof is on those claiming they do work...

I can’t just make some fantastic claim, and then demand anyone that questions it, to prove it wrong...not how it works...Id have to prove that claim true, burden of proof is on me.
Titan1
4/17/2021 12:50pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2021 1:06pm
ZOBITO wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Musquin got two world titles and Anderson his SX title while they couldn't ride a bike with correct technique, since...
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Musquin got two world titles and Anderson his SX title while they couldn't ride a bike with correct technique, since they both wore neck braces?
I didn't check, but they're probably not the only ones. I think Herlings won in MX2 wearing one too...
Laughing
I didn’t say it’s impossible to go fast with one...lots of guys go ridiculously fast with incorrect technique (at the pro level it’s minuscule flaws, which is why even the best-in any sport-hire coaches and trainers to help improve technique)...I said it’s not possible to ride with 100% correct technique While wearing one.

I’m not sure it’s a coincidence that none of the riders you mentioned (Anderson, Herlings, Marv) are still wearing them (assuming Marv’s change today is permanent).

Post a reply to: Marv

The Latest