Marty Moates Dead @ 49

DadeRacing
Edited Date/Time 1/25/2012 9:57pm
Sad December 08, 2006

Marty Moates, R.I.P.

The entire motocross industry was rocked late last night and early this morning by the tragic news out of Southern California that Marty Moates, the legendary winner of the 1980 Carlsbad 500cc United States Grand Prix of Motocross, took his own life. The reports have been confirmed. May he rest in peace.

from Racer-X

Post edited by: DadeRacing, at: 2006/12/08 17:18
|
mpy
12/8/2006 11:01am
That's some really sad news.

My condolences to his family and friends.
zjbell
12/8/2006 12:51pm
mpy wrote:

Sucks.

Sad to hear.
PanicRev359
12/8/2006 1:35pm
mpy wrote:

zjbell wrote:
Sucks.

Sad to hear.
SadSadSad
Pdub
12/8/2006 2:31pm
mpy wrote:

zjbell wrote:
Sucks.

Sad to hear.
SadSadSad
So sorry to hear this. It's hard to believe....

The Shop

ninety3
12/9/2006 12:58pm
zjbell wrote:
Sucks.

Sad to hear.
SadSadSad
Pdub wrote:
RIP MM

Don't think about all those things you fear; just be glad to be here.
[size=2]Hayling _FC Kahuna[/size]

Post edited by: KTM93, at: 2006/12/09 21:10
TerryK
12/9/2006 1:57pm
SadSadSad
Pdub wrote:
ninety3 wrote:
RIP MM [img]http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b320/Racer-X93/mm-cb1.jpg[/img] Don't think about all those things you fear; just be glad to be here. [i][size=2]Hayling _FC Kahuna[/size][/i]Post edited by: KTM93, at: 2006/12/09 21:10
RIP MM

I posted this on MD:

I'll never forget Marty winning the USGP and turning me into a life-long fan of the privateer! You changed the way I see the whole moto world Marty and I thank you. May you find the peace you couldn't here on earth.

Godspeed.
clayman
12/9/2006 2:01pm
Pdub wrote:
ninety3 wrote:
RIP MM [img]http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b320/Racer-X93/mm-cb1.jpg[/img] Don't think about all those things you fear; just be glad to be here. [i][size=2]Hayling _FC Kahuna[/size][/i]Post edited by: KTM93, at: 2006/12/09 21:10
RIP MM

TerryK wrote:
I posted this on MD: I'll never forget Marty winning the USGP and turning me into a life-long fan of the privateer! You changed the way...
I posted this on MD:

I'll never forget Marty winning the USGP and turning me into a life-long fan of the privateer! You changed the way I see the whole moto world Marty and I thank you. May you find the peace you couldn't here on earth.

Godspeed.
Rest in peace and Godspeed Marty....
MoatesNB
12/10/2006 6:16pm
This may seem a little odd but I felt it was best to say what he could not. My name is Nicole Moates and Marty Moates was my father. I can not express how much everyones best wishes and hopes mean to his family. We are at a loss as to why he decided to leave us, but we're thankful that he touched our lives in so meaningful a way.
My father absolutely loved the world of motorcross and all the people involved in it. I won't lie, I spent a large portion of my younger years jealous of the time he spent with young riders and at the tracks. Eventually however he was able to do to me what he did to so many others, instill a love of the sport and the people involved.
Thank you again for your support and best wishes, I know we all appreciate them.
All of my thanks,
Nicole B. Moates
mumbles
Fantasy
667th
12/10/2006 6:32pm Edited Date/Time 4/16/2016 5:53pm
MoatesNB wrote:
This may seem a little odd but I felt it was best to say what he could not. My name is Nicole Moates and Marty Moates...
This may seem a little odd but I felt it was best to say what he could not. My name is Nicole Moates and Marty Moates was my father. I can not express how much everyones best wishes and hopes mean to his family. We are at a loss as to why he decided to leave us, but we're thankful that he touched our lives in so meaningful a way.
My father absolutely loved the world of motorcross and all the people involved in it. I won't lie, I spent a large portion of my younger years jealous of the time he spent with young riders and at the tracks. Eventually however he was able to do to me what he did to so many others, instill a love of the sport and the people involved.
Thank you again for your support and best wishes, I know we all appreciate them.
All of my thanks,
Nicole B. Moates
Nicole my prayers are with you and your family. I never actually got to meet your father but maybe I can tell you a little story to help let you know what he meant to a lot people.

I was one of the thousands of fans waving our little American flags and screaming until we lost our voices that history making day at Carlsbad on 22 Jun 1980. To see an American and a privateer no less straight up beat the Europeans for the first time at the 500 USGP was the single biggest MX day for me and I have been around the sport since the late 60's. Marty Moates was the ultimate privateer that everbody liked and cheered for. After I heard the sad news of his death I had to go see what was left of the Carlsbad circuit. So this past Saturday my wife and I drove down to Carlsbad from Huntington Beach where I live now for past couple years to see for our self. To my surprise the start straight and a few corners are still there although pretty much grown up. As I stood there looking down from above the start straight at what was once the most famous MX track in the country I thought about all the great riders that have ridden on that holy ground since the first USGP in 1972. In 1980 I remember coming in through the gates and being given a little American flag and wonder what am I going to do with this (later I would find out). During practice I remember telling my brother-in-law that I thought Moates looked really fast. Once the first moto started and the riders got to where we were standing, I realized why we were given the little American flags. Marty had the holeshot. I remember hitting my brother-in-law and screaming "I told you so". It was on. I didn't stop screaming, hanging over the fence and waving that little flag for the rest of that moto (45 minutes in those days). When the second moto started and Marty was at the front again, I couldn't belive it. I wondered if he could hold on and actually win this thing. So there I am with what little bit of voice I have left, I'm screaming and waving that American flag as hard as I can. MX like most other sports have defining moments. That was the defining moment for a lot of Americans. They new that we really could beat those Euros. And if you look at the record books from that day forward you will see that. I don't know if Marty Moates really knew what his win meant to American MX that day, but the fans sure do that were there on that terribly hot summer day in Carlsbad California. If you live in SOCAL, please take the time to go pay homage to that great track before it is completely gone. And while your there, say little prayer for Marty and his family. note: I would have placed one of the images I took of the track but I can't seem to figure out how to inport it. Somebody help me out with the quick how too........
SCIENCE
12/11/2006 7:29am
MoatesNB wrote:
This may seem a little odd but I felt it was best to say what he could not. My name is Nicole Moates and Marty Moates...
All of my thanks,
Nicole B. Moates
mumbles wrote:
Nicole my prayers are with you and your family. I never actually got to meet your father but maybe I can tell you a little story...
Nicole my prayers are with you and your family. I never actually got to meet your father but maybe I can tell you a little story to help let you know what he meant to a lot people.

I was one of the thousands of fans waving our little American flags and screaming until we lost our voices that history making day at Carlsbad on 22 Jun 1980. To see an American and a privateer no less straight up beat the Europeans for the first time at the 500 USGP was the single biggest MX day for me and I have been around the sport since the late 60's. Marty Moates was the ultimate privateer that everbody liked and cheered for. After I heard the sad news of his death I had to go see what was left of the Carlsbad circuit. So this past Saturday my wife and I drove down to Carlsbad from Huntington Beach where I live now for past couple years to see for our self. To my surprise the start straight and a few corners are still there although pretty much grown up. As I stood there looking down from above the start straight at what was once the most famous MX track in the country I thought about all the great riders that have ridden on that holy ground since the first USGP in 1972. In 1980 I remember coming in through the gates and being given a little American flag and wonder what am I going to do with this (later I would find out). During practice I remember telling my brother-in-law that I thought Moates looked really fast. Once the first moto started and the riders got to where we were standing, I realized why we were given the little American flags. Marty had the holeshot. I remember hitting my brother-in-law and screaming "I told you so". It was on. I didn't stop screaming, hanging over the fence and waving that little flag for the rest of that moto (45 minutes in those days). When the second moto started and Marty was at the front again, I couldn't belive it. I wondered if he could hold on and actually win this thing. So there I am with what little bit of voice I have left, I'm screaming and waving that American flag as hard as I can. MX like most other sports have defining moments. That was the defining moment for a lot of Americans. They new that we really could beat those Euros. And if you look at the record books from that day forward you will see that. I don't know if Marty Moates really knew what his win meant to American MX that day, but the fans sure do that were there on that terribly hot summer day in Carlsbad California. If you live in SOCAL, please take the time to go pay homage to that great track before it is completely gone. And while your there, say little prayer for Marty and his family. note: I would have placed one of the images I took of the track but I can't seem to figure out how to inport it. Somebody help me out with the quick how too........
My condolences to you Nicole. The MX world (and from the sounds of it anyone who ever came in contact w/him) will miss your Dad terribly!

Great Post Mumbles! Being an East Coaster, Unadilla was the USGP I could get too. However, I remember reading Cycle News the following week at my local Yamaha shop and thinking how awesome it was! It seemed like the MXA report and the ABC telecast took forever to get to our home. The tide was really starting to turn then. Marty kicked opened the door! Does anyone know where you can get a copy of that video?
mumbles
Fantasy
667th
12/11/2006 11:38am
MoatesNB wrote:
All of my thanks,
Nicole B. Moates
mumbles wrote:
Nicole my prayers are with you and your family. I never actually got to meet your father but maybe I can tell you a little story...

SCIENCE wrote:
My condolences to you Nicole. The MX world (and from the sounds of it anyone who ever came in contact w/him) will miss your Dad terribly...
My condolences to you Nicole. The MX world (and from the sounds of it anyone who ever came in contact w/him) will miss your Dad terribly!

Great Post Mumbles! Being an East Coaster, Unadilla was the USGP I could get too. However, I remember reading Cycle News the following week at my local Yamaha shop and thinking how awesome it was! It seemed like the MXA report and the ABC telecast took forever to get to our home. The tide was really starting to turn then. Marty kicked opened the door! Does anyone know where you can get a copy of that video?
SCIENCE wrote:

Thanks for nice words SCIENCE. I too would love a copy of that race. I have never seen it anywhere. Somebody must know where we can get it. I'm not sure if BobbyM is a member of this site, but I bet he knows or has a clip of it.
BobbyM
12/25/2006 8:50pm
MoatesNB wrote:
All of my thanks,
Nicole B. Moates
mumbles wrote:

SCIENCE wrote:
My condolences to you Nicole. The MX world (and from the sounds of it anyone who ever came in contact w/him) will miss your Dad terribly...

I am trying to upload it here but the file does nothing...then after that it does does a bunch a nothing again. I'll contact tech support if I have to.

Marty was the real deal....damn him.

here's the page i tossed together after hearing the fuggen awful news..

http://discount-poolsupplies.com/MartyMoates/Marty%20Moates%20was%20one…

btw...this is the first time posting...do i get a star or something?
mumbles
Fantasy
667th
12/29/2006 8:07pm
mumbles wrote:

SCIENCE wrote:

BobbyM wrote:
I am trying to upload it here but the file does nothing...then after that it does does a bunch a nothing again. I'll contact tech support...
I am trying to upload it here but the file does nothing...then after that it does does a bunch a nothing again. I'll contact tech support if I have to.

Thanks BobbyM, I knew you would come through with the vid. It was a day I will always remember. I still have my Carlsbad ticket stubs and that American flag. After Marty's death I have decided to put them in a frame and hang them on my wall in my entertainment room.
mumbles
Fantasy
667th
12/29/2006 8:09pm
mumbles wrote:

SCIENCE wrote:

BobbyM wrote:
I am trying to upload it here but the file does nothing...then after that it does does a bunch a nothing again. I'll contact tech support...

Thanks BobbyM, I knew you would come through with the vid. It was a day I will always remember. I still have my Carlsbad ticket stubs and that American flag. After Marty's death I have decided to put them in a frame and hang them on my wall in my entertainment room.

Post a reply to: Marty Moates Dead @ 49

The Latest