Market Research

RTW
Trying to get a grasp on what the most popular bikes are in the amateur scene. In order to test viability of the product, and raise funds for future production (secure funding) we need to sell. Since we have limited funds available this means we can only produce a certain number of product for a limited amount of models. We're still about 8-12 months out but early research will help future plans, So help us out! Tell us what you ride!

Curious? I'm sure you are. We have created a product to combat the problem every rider hates to deal with. Air filters. In particular, the pain in the butt it is the change them. Our system will take away the burden of changing your air filter, giving more time for you to rest between motos, or finish that beer before it gets warm. Our air filters will have the ability to be changed in 5 seconds or less, easy enough your daughter can do it for you. No joke, the system is that fast! If this doesn't peak your rev limiter then you're probably a pro who doesn't fiddle with the filter, for the rest of you this should raise your pants a little.
|
9/7/2017 4:13pm
I mean its not that hard, I change mine in between races not motos I dont know anyone who does that but hey, you do you. Also their is not one popular bike everyone uses different makes and models.
Katoomey
9/7/2017 6:39pm
what about the market research that determines whether anyone even wants what you are trying to sell? seems like that would be the first thing to do, if you haven't already.

Unless your product will wash and re-oil the filter for me, what exactly are we talking about here? saving 30 seconds taking it off or putting it on? If thats the only benefit, I don't see the appeal. I have an extra minute to deal with a filter, and so do most people. I am aware that there are "problem childs" out there, and maybe those specific owners might be more interested.

Incase you are unaware, theres a company out there whos product does not only what yours promises to do, but offers a host of other benefits as well. Their products are very high quality, and very well recieved, and they have fitments for litterally every mainstream dirtbike out there.

To be honest, you seem like an "outsider", without any real intimate knowledge of this industry. Had you been testing your designs on the race track or at popular riding areas, and getting stuck into the scene, you wouldn't be here asking such an elementary question. You'd already know the answer. Paid your dues so to speak.

Plenty of great names and companies have been built on the folley of one part or one machine. But, at the top of the list in the hierchy of the motocross aftermarket are men of humble beginnings and an undeniable passion for the sport. Not idea men with marketing budgets and investors.
Zesiger 112
Fantasy
2020th
9/7/2017 7:00pm Edited Date/Time 9/7/2017 7:03pm
Check out the air filter on a ttr125 it rocks.
Oem comes in a box with bolt, cage and filter for $20 it's square.
Open the side of the air box and slide the cage into a groove and that's it. No putting the filter on the cage, no trying to put the bolt in just slide the whole thing out.

And if you are going to select limited models look at models like the yz125 and yz250. 2 bikes with many years models and have the same air filter. I'm sure other bikes share the same part over multiple models and years.

The Shop

p0wn
9/7/2017 7:44pm
SHIT I GAVE UP ON AIR FILTERS YEARS AGO
tobz
9/8/2017 1:11am
Credit to you for trying to innovate.

But this isn't the place to ask Laughing

Product doesn't sound like it's solving a problem I have, installing em is the easy part! I's the cleaning and oiling that effin sucks.
lumpy790
9/8/2017 5:42am Edited Date/Time 9/8/2017 5:42am
Takes constant research as Sales numbers per brand change yearly.
MR. X
9/8/2017 5:52am
Air filter ? I thought that was a sponge for washing the bike.
9/8/2017 6:23am
Check out the air filter on a ttr125 it rocks. Oem comes in a box with bolt, cage and filter for $20 it's square. Open the...
Check out the air filter on a ttr125 it rocks.
Oem comes in a box with bolt, cage and filter for $20 it's square.
Open the side of the air box and slide the cage into a groove and that's it. No putting the filter on the cage, no trying to put the bolt in just slide the whole thing out.

And if you are going to select limited models look at models like the yz125 and yz250. 2 bikes with many years models and have the same air filter. I'm sure other bikes share the same part over multiple models and years.
That's a good suggestion, to go with YZ125/250 filters first. Plus, they interchange with the YZ-F filters up to 2009, as well as 08-17 RM-Z 450 and some older model KX 2 strokes.
9/8/2017 7:48am
Changing the air filter isn't hard. Wiping the debris out of the air box itself is the task. And of course cleaning the air boot with neurotic precision takes real time. How a person can eliminate that? I don't know. But I'm not the one doing market research.

P.s. My twin air's work perfect.
kkawboy14
9/8/2017 7:55am Edited Date/Time 9/8/2017 7:56am
When it gets dirty just turn it inside out....kinda like your underwearSmile

Have 5 to 10 filters, clean and oil them all at once with gloves on. Have extra gloves and sandwich bags for when you switch them out. When they are all dirty again, clean them all at once!
mx_563
9/8/2017 7:58am
I don't mind changing filters. Cleaning them is another story.
TJMX947
9/8/2017 8:29am
I think everyone is in agreement that the changing the air filters isn't the issue. Cleaning an air filter is the problem. You need solvents, buckets, warm water & soap and time to let them dry.

Those of us who only have one or two air filters spend a lot of time doing this.

Here is a game changer:

Create a disposable filter that fits correctly, keeps the dirt out, and only costs $2. I will spend $50 - $100 a year to not have to clean/oil another air filter ever.
Acidreamer
9/8/2017 8:32am
Id like a filter that snaps in and has a quick release button. Hands are almsot too big for most bikes
kkawboy14
9/8/2017 8:45am
Acidreamer wrote:
Id like a filter that snaps in and has a quick release button. Hands are almsot too big for most bikes

9/8/2017 9:45am
As far as bikes made within the last 3-5 years? KTM / Husky, Yamaha & Honda are the most common around me. overall the most common bike I see are Kawasakis from within the last 10 years. But this will change yearly. In about a year or twos time I am expecting to see more Yamaha's flooding the resale market along with the always popular KTM's.

But I still think its to hard to say what bikes are most popular. The new model sales numbers are constantly changing, then add in the resale market and your numbers are going to be just slightly askew to say the least
tcallahan707
9/8/2017 9:53am
Katoomey wrote:
what about the market research that determines whether anyone even wants what you are trying to sell? seems like that would be the first thing to...
what about the market research that determines whether anyone even wants what you are trying to sell? seems like that would be the first thing to do, if you haven't already.

Unless your product will wash and re-oil the filter for me, what exactly are we talking about here? saving 30 seconds taking it off or putting it on? If thats the only benefit, I don't see the appeal. I have an extra minute to deal with a filter, and so do most people. I am aware that there are "problem childs" out there, and maybe those specific owners might be more interested.

Incase you are unaware, theres a company out there whos product does not only what yours promises to do, but offers a host of other benefits as well. Their products are very high quality, and very well recieved, and they have fitments for litterally every mainstream dirtbike out there.

To be honest, you seem like an "outsider", without any real intimate knowledge of this industry. Had you been testing your designs on the race track or at popular riding areas, and getting stuck into the scene, you wouldn't be here asking such an elementary question. You'd already know the answer. Paid your dues so to speak.

Plenty of great names and companies have been built on the folley of one part or one machine. But, at the top of the list in the hierchy of the motocross aftermarket are men of humble beginnings and an undeniable passion for the sport. Not idea men with marketing budgets and investors.
Great post. Told someone what they didn't want to hear on Vital and used reason and logic. Refreshing.
Moto88
9/8/2017 10:14am
Almost every week MXA online writes results and has a bunch of photos of the weekly REM races at Glen Helen. It also shows the breakdown of percentage of bikes raced each weekend.

Bman_145
9/8/2017 1:53pm
Not too pile on too much, but Im a believer that electric bikes are the future. And that means no more air filters to worry about. Id save your money, time, and effort, and invest it elsewhere.
byke
9/8/2017 3:00pm
^^^That. Put together e-conversion kits so that when your bike grenades, you sell off whatever good parts are left and then install the new e-kit.

Post a reply to: Market Research

The Latest