Marijuana at the track

3/16/2016 8:08am
Dezerted wrote:
You obviously know nothing... The people you know who smoke and are what you describe were almost guaranteed to be that before they smoked. There are...
You obviously know nothing... The people you know who smoke and are what you describe were almost guaranteed to be that before they smoked. There are highly motivated and successful people who I know personally that smoke more weed then you could imagine. They are 100%!self made and I would venture a guess that they employ many people like yourself who have any opinion without knowing any facts.
A very similar thread appeared a few years ago on Thumpertalk about drinking a beer at the track (Hell, Roger DeCoster used to drink a beer between motos.) I was making the same argument about alcohol as you are smoking. That is, I drink 6-8 beers every day, so one beer does not affect me as it would someone that never has a drink. One guy was going to kick anybody's ass if he ever saw them drinking a beer and riding on the track with him or any of his friends. This lead to one of the best responses ever on Thumpertalk "Dude, are you a religious fanatic, a recovering alcoholic, or just a f***ing asshole?"
3/16/2016 8:12am
Well, this has been a fun discourse. In hindsight, this was a troll thead that achieved its desired effect. There will be no opinions changed. I...
Well, this has been a fun discourse. In hindsight, this was a troll thead that achieved its desired effect. There will be no opinions changed. I don't smoke, but I prosecuted 1000's of drug cases as a DA over my near-decade tenure. And, I have sentenced drug offenders as a Judge.

What I can tell you is that anyone in the criminal justice system will likely tell you that there is a significant difference in the "profile" of a casual pot user and a chemical substance abuser. The recidivist rate among canabis users for 'other crimes' is negligible. The same cannot be said for chemical substance abusers who are likely to have theft/burglary/prostitution/child endangerment found in their "profile." Also, the chemical substance abusers use all drugs, including canabis, which creates a spectrum within the larger canabis offender profile.

During my last stint as a Coordiantor for a DTF, my DEA AIC asked me to offer probation in any canabis case under 5 lbs. His words to me, "those guys are harmless--we need to focus on labs." That was in 1995...... The "war" on canabis was largely over by then at a federal level. Local courts and PD's are finamcially incentivized to drop the hammer. The system started puking them out, and this will likely continue.

I will also say in closing that one commonality among criminal offenders was noted----alcohol.
But, I know a lot of police officers who stay shitfaced drunk off duty---but loved to harass the stoners. Not in my jurisdiction---no sir. I didn't give a damn about feeding the municipal court cofers on the hard work of any of my dedicated officers. (RIP Johnny). But we damn sure ran over the chemical users.....

Your experiences may vary, but I am certified LEO with almost 30 years of police, prosecutor, and judicial experience. This is my story and I am sticking with it.

Excellent post. Thanks for taking the time to share that.
Dezerted
3/16/2016 8:19am
You quite honestly are the most clueless person in this thread. The stoners you know (most likely two or less) have created your opinion of a group as a whole. You and people with you are the root of many problems, broad strokes on every issue based on the smallest sample sizes. God only hopes you're NOTHING like the real average Joe
beavesmx_44
3/16/2016 8:20am
For anyone who has never experienced marijuana you have zero experience to draw from and your input is irrelevant. Would I want someone who rarely smokes...
For anyone who has never experienced marijuana you have zero experience to draw from and your input is irrelevant. Would I want someone who rarely smokes to decide right before going on the track was a good time to light up? Of course not. Just like on holidays you will get a bunch of people who don't normally consume alcohol and they decide to drink and drive: hence the increase in car accidents. The daily drinkers aren't usually the problem as they have learned to navigate life under the influence. It effects someone who routinely partakes in the substance way differently when they have a tolerance built. Some have no loss of motor control and are just fine to do any activity they choose while high. Once all the old bags who still live in last century die off the laws and views on marijuana will be made right again. For most it's just the legality of it. It puts more money in government pockets(police, prison, politicians etc) so the majority(see sheep heard) fall in line without a second thought. Everyone should educate themselves and create an informed opinion as with all things in life.
Canadad wrote:
So those of us who have had to live with daily pot smokers and have witnessed their decline, we are the uninformed? And the individual who...
So those of us who have had to live with daily pot smokers and have witnessed their decline, we are the uninformed? And the individual who is oblivious to it because of the chemicals coursing through their brains are the informed....got it.
You only noticed after because you weren't paying attention beforehand. They were always that way. Place blame where it belongs. Your casting game is weak.

The Shop

beavesmx_44
3/16/2016 8:25am
Well, this has been a fun discourse. In hindsight, this was a troll thead that achieved its desired effect. There will be no opinions changed. I...
Well, this has been a fun discourse. In hindsight, this was a troll thead that achieved its desired effect. There will be no opinions changed. I don't smoke, but I prosecuted 1000's of drug cases as a DA over my near-decade tenure. And, I have sentenced drug offenders as a Judge.

What I can tell you is that anyone in the criminal justice system will likely tell you that there is a significant difference in the "profile" of a casual pot user and a chemical substance abuser. The recidivist rate among canabis users for 'other crimes' is negligible. The same cannot be said for chemical substance abusers who are likely to have theft/burglary/prostitution/child endangerment found in their "profile." Also, the chemical substance abusers use all drugs, including canabis, which creates a spectrum within the larger canabis offender profile.

During my last stint as a Coordiantor for a DTF, my DEA AIC asked me to offer probation in any canabis case under 5 lbs. His words to me, "those guys are harmless--we need to focus on labs." That was in 1995...... The "war" on canabis was largely over by then at a federal level. Local courts and PD's are finamcially incentivized to drop the hammer. The system started puking them out, and this will likely continue.

I will also say in closing that one commonality among criminal offenders was noted----alcohol.
But, I know a lot of police officers who stay shitfaced drunk off duty---but loved to harass the stoners. Not in my jurisdiction---no sir. I didn't give a damn about feeding the municipal court cofers on the hard work of any of my dedicated officers. (RIP Johnny). But we damn sure ran over the chemical users.....

Your experiences may vary, but I am certified LEO with almost 30 years of police, prosecutor, and judicial experience. This is my story and I am sticking with it.

Great post. Thanks for your service. I hope this line of thinking spreads further across the world. Unfortunately many don't want to rehabilitate, only incriminate.
agn5009
3/16/2016 8:32am

But what's your take on utilizing marijuana during closed course competitions? I respect your experiences and feel like you're as good to discuss this topic as any. I agree with all that you've said, but that being said I don't believe marijuana should be aloud on MX tracks or any form of racing.

I feel like some guys are getting way off topic here. We went from smoking before your races to the simple legalization of marijuana. They're two completely separate topics. We now have guys arguing that you can or can't be successful if you use marijuana, which is just plain stupid. The majority of people here are against using it before riding on closed course, but the ones that are "for" it seem to just want to argue about its legality.

I'm in law enforcement, and I can honestly say that I've never charged someone with small amount possession. I've had kids dump it out plenty of times, and if they're under 18 I'd call their parents and let them deal with the issue. But if someone's driving stoned then I have no problem arresting them for driving under the influence. The same would go for anyone driving a motorcycle.
disbanded
Fantasy
1734th
3/16/2016 8:32am

Very interesting...

Thanks for posting.
Dezerted
3/16/2016 8:39am Edited Date/Time 3/16/2016 8:43am
So now one person is all you need? I hope the one white guy you know isn't racist, or the one African American you know doesnt hate the police or etc. The way you think is exactly why we have stereo types. I can only hope you are in the minority otherwise this country is in serious trouble..Sick

So is everyone who has a drink a violent asshole? Because if I tell you about this one guy you'd surely believe that. Dumbass
MR. X
3/16/2016 8:44am
HenryJ77 wrote:
Was at milestone today. Went over a jump took a deep breath through my nose, smelled marijuana, looked over and sure enough I saw guys smoking...
Was at milestone today. Went over a jump took a deep breath through my nose, smelled marijuana, looked over and sure enough I saw guys smoking in the pits..
How long where you in the air for?
Canadad
3/16/2016 8:58am
For anyone who has never experienced marijuana you have zero experience to draw from and your input is irrelevant. Would I want someone who rarely smokes...
For anyone who has never experienced marijuana you have zero experience to draw from and your input is irrelevant. Would I want someone who rarely smokes to decide right before going on the track was a good time to light up? Of course not. Just like on holidays you will get a bunch of people who don't normally consume alcohol and they decide to drink and drive: hence the increase in car accidents. The daily drinkers aren't usually the problem as they have learned to navigate life under the influence. It effects someone who routinely partakes in the substance way differently when they have a tolerance built. Some have no loss of motor control and are just fine to do any activity they choose while high. Once all the old bags who still live in last century die off the laws and views on marijuana will be made right again. For most it's just the legality of it. It puts more money in government pockets(police, prison, politicians etc) so the majority(see sheep heard) fall in line without a second thought. Everyone should educate themselves and create an informed opinion as with all things in life.
Canadad wrote:
So those of us who have had to live with daily pot smokers and have witnessed their decline, we are the uninformed? And the individual who...
So those of us who have had to live with daily pot smokers and have witnessed their decline, we are the uninformed? And the individual who is oblivious to it because of the chemicals coursing through their brains are the informed....got it.
You only noticed after because you weren't paying attention beforehand. They were always that way. Place blame where it belongs. Your casting game is weak.
So you come on here and call those contributing uninformed an their input irrelevant and now you are drawing conclusions about my situation with absolutely no knowledge of what I refer to.....OK
steveada
3/16/2016 9:07am
So much twisted logic in this thread and in the whole pot argument. I don't care if someone wants to smoke, any more than I care if someone wants to drink a beer. There are stoners whose personality changes and motivation completely disappears, just as their are drunks that end up the same way or worse. That is irrelevant. There is no doubt that THC impairs motor skills, judgement, and reaction times. This has been proven in almost every study that has looked at it and is even acknowledged on all but the most hard core pro-pot legalization websites. So no, I don't want someone that is high on the same track with my kids. What kind of logic is someone using when they say they are OK with alcoholics driving drunk because because they are used to always being drunk? I would say it is someones attempt to twist reality to justify their own actions. Do what you like but demonstrate a little responsibility and respect for people around you.
3/16/2016 9:10am
Man, pot is the last thing I want to be doing at the track or before a race. Maybe on the ride home....Smile
beavesmx_44
3/16/2016 9:13am
Canadad wrote:
Canadad wrote:
So you come on here and call those contributing uninformed an their input irrelevant and now you are drawing conclusions about my situation with absolutely no...
So you come on here and call those contributing uninformed an their input irrelevant and now you are drawing conclusions about my situation with absolutely no knowledge of what I refer to.....OK
You add nothing to the topic. You painted with a broad brush off one circumstance you provided very little info for. Their is nothing to go off of. I am interested in open logical discourse. You provide none of that.
cslacker
3/16/2016 9:18am
Canadad wrote:
So you come on here and call those contributing uninformed an their input irrelevant and now you are drawing conclusions about my situation with absolutely no...
Well, it sounds like you are talking about a family member who has gone down the wrong path and you are trying to blame a substance for that instead of the individual.
grimey
3/16/2016 9:20am Edited Date/Time 3/16/2016 9:25am
Dezerted wrote:
So now one person is all you need? I hope the one white guy you know isn't racist, or the one African American you know doesnt...
So now one person is all you need? I hope the one white guy you know isn't racist, or the one African American you know doesnt hate the police or etc. The way you think is exactly why we have stereo types. I can only hope you are in the minority otherwise this country is in serious trouble..Sick

So is everyone who has a drink a violent asshole? Because if I tell you about this one guy you'd surely believe that. Dumbass
This

Basically the start and end of this topic.

EDIT: *for both parties*
cslacker
3/16/2016 9:33am
Wow, when it comes to moto people I typically think well of them. You definitely break that mold. To think that anyone who owns/operates a multi-million dollar business cannot have ever smoked weed is so absolutely stupid it's incredible. Some of the most motivated and successful individuals I have had the pleasure of knowing and calling friends have partaken in the past and many continue to do so. You should consider pulling your head out of your ass someday... There is a big, fun, diverse and wonderful world you are missing out on with your ignorance...

And yes, you are ignorant to the FACTS of the real world where there are many successful individuals that prefer to go home and smoke a bowl at the end of the day to wind down instead of enjoying a scotch or glass of wine. So stay in your little bubble if that's how you want to spend your life, but realize there is a great big world out there that you choose not to open your eyes to see.
TailSoHard
3/16/2016 10:10am Edited Date/Time 3/16/2016 10:16am
Are there any documented incidents on tracks where Marijuana either caused an issue or was present in the person who caused the issue?

Not being a smartass, I am legitimately curious to know...
Dezerted
3/16/2016 10:26am
When you provide facts then let me know.. If we were to go by stereotypes you definitely would be the "dope" head of the thread. Seriously bro, your level of thinking needs to progress pass the third grade.
FGR01
Fantasy
1222nd
3/16/2016 10:27am
I love the other line of "logic" in this thread: Unless you are a pothead your opinion on pot doesn't count, because you have no first hand knowledge to speak from. Therefore, we will summarily dismiss all your anecdotal evidence from the potheads you know, but all of our anecdotes are solid because we are potheads.

By this logic, only murderers are qualified to sit on a jury in murder trial. Next time one of you potheads is in court on a pot charge, demand that all non-potheads get removed from the jury since they are not qualified on the matter and are obviously not a jury of your peers!

Or better yet, next time you get pulled over and hassled by the man for carrying your stash, tell him your merely conducting research to substantiate your expert opinion on vital!
captmoto
3/16/2016 10:29am
If one or two "puffs" doesn't really hit a regular user like a first timer, why the need to do a few hits before riding? is it mental? If so, it seems like now ere talking about an addiction. Or at least a a habit like sucking your thumb.
Dezerted
3/16/2016 10:45am
I'm proof that your entire point is invalid
Dezerted
3/16/2016 10:54am
captmoto wrote:
If one or two "puffs" doesn't really hit a regular user like a first timer, why the need to do a few hits before riding? is...
If one or two "puffs" doesn't really hit a regular user like a first timer, why the need to do a few hits before riding? is it mental? If so, it seems like now ere talking about an addiction. Or at least a a habit like sucking your thumb.
Some of us use weed or weed products for things other then getting high. You can get a high from Vicodin as well but I bet most would have no problem if I popped a pill to regulate my pain while I ride.

Things aren't always as they seem. I would never ride on a track while I was impaired, just as I wouldn't drive if I had to many but contrary to what the Average Dope thinks not all daily pot users are smelly unmotivated messes. A lot of us need it to function and be the productive members of society we are. To be so small minded in either direction is stupid. The guy who gets absolutely cross eyed blazed and rides is dumb but we're not all the same.
K-dubbb
3/16/2016 10:54am
Dezerted wrote:
I'm proof that your entire point is invalid
Second that, I left one comment and deserted this thread - no point in arguing with people who simply don't know any better.

These are the kind of people that shit on successful people because they will never get there, its easier to make fun of "Daddy" hand me downs as an excuse and too ignorant realize it may not be the case, And if it is, so what? Their family took a sacrifice yours never had the balls or smarts to do.

OUT

steveada
3/16/2016 11:05am
Dezerted wrote:
When you provide facts then let me know.. If we were to go by stereotypes you definitely would be the "dope" head of the thread. Seriously...
When you provide facts then let me know.. If we were to go by stereotypes you definitely would be the "dope" head of the thread. Seriously bro, your level of thinking needs to progress pass the third grade.
Here are some facts. Don't get stoned and ride.

H. Robbe. 1995. Marijuana’s effects on actual driving performance. In: C. Kloeden and A. McLean (Eds) Alcohol, Drugs and Traffic Safety T-95. Adelaide: Australia: HHMRC Road Research Unit, University of Adelaide. Pp. 11-20.

W. Hindrik and J. Robbe and J. O’Hanlon. 1993. Marijuana and actual driving performance. Washington, DC: US Department of Transportation National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, Report No. DOT HS 808 078.

B. Sexton et al. 2000. The influence of cannabis on driving: A report prepared for the UK Department of the Environment, Transport and the Regions (Road Safety Division). Crowthorne, Berks: TRL Limited.

A. Smiley. 1999. Marijuana: On-Road and Driving-Simulator Studies. In: H. Kalant et al. (Eds) The Health Effects of Cannabis. Toronto: Center for Addiction and Mental Health. Pp. 173-191.
Squirtlege
3/16/2016 11:10am
It's mandated and strictly enforced company policy for our race team to remain blitzed to some degree at all times. Blitz everything:v whoops, bongs, trips, quads, broads.....
cslacker
3/16/2016 11:20am
Dezerted wrote:
When you provide facts then let me know.. If we were to go by stereotypes you definitely would be the "dope" head of the thread. Seriously...
steveada wrote:
Here are some facts. Don't get stoned and ride. H. Robbe. 1995. Marijuana’s effects on actual driving performance. In: C. Kloeden and A. McLean (Eds) Alcohol...
Here are some facts. Don't get stoned and ride.

H. Robbe. 1995. Marijuana’s effects on actual driving performance. In: C. Kloeden and A. McLean (Eds) Alcohol, Drugs and Traffic Safety T-95. Adelaide: Australia: HHMRC Road Research Unit, University of Adelaide. Pp. 11-20.

W. Hindrik and J. Robbe and J. O’Hanlon. 1993. Marijuana and actual driving performance. Washington, DC: US Department of Transportation National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, Report No. DOT HS 808 078.

B. Sexton et al. 2000. The influence of cannabis on driving: A report prepared for the UK Department of the Environment, Transport and the Regions (Road Safety Division). Crowthorne, Berks: TRL Limited.

A. Smiley. 1999. Marijuana: On-Road and Driving-Simulator Studies. In: H. Kalant et al. (Eds) The Health Effects of Cannabis. Toronto: Center for Addiction and Mental Health. Pp. 173-191.
http://www.nhtsa.gov/Driving+Safety/Research+&+Evaluation/Alcohol+and+D…

When you control the variables in a study you get much more useful information. Some older studies on this subject state that those that drive while high have over a 200% higher risk of accident. In this newest and largest study to date those older "facts" are refuted and the reasoning is given as to why.

Dezerted
3/16/2016 11:27am Edited Date/Time 3/16/2016 12:01pm
Are you going to explain to your children why and how you chew tabacco which is also known to cause cancer and has taken people from this world far to early?

When my kids saw daddy in constant pain and unable to be a active daddy I'm sure it didn't make them happy and now they have a daddy that is able to throw the ball with them, play with them at the park. So yes I'll tell them what marijuana has enabled me to do, and they won't care. They'll just be happy that we can do the things we do because of it. So you sir can kindly fuck off you closed minded uninformed douche bag Kissing
cslacker
3/16/2016 11:40am
I will repeat for the last time, I personally know many people who actively smoke pot who have started(without parental support), own and run very successful businesses. To state otherwise makes you simply foolish.

Your personal insults are laughable and since you have insulted others bringing children and how to raise them into the conversation, I will say that I truly hope you don't raise yours to look down on and treat other people the way you have here.

Oh, and I never said that I smoke pot. But that is a personal choice and irrelevant. Your insults and stereotypes are childish and show exactly the type of person you are. Then again tobacco and alcohol abuse lowers testosterone and increases estrogen and cortisol. Maybe it's just your time of the month?

cslacker
3/16/2016 11:44am
Dezerted wrote:
Are you going to explain to your children why and how you chew tabacco which is also known to cause cancer and has taken people from...
Are you going to explain to your children why and how you chew tabacco which is also known to cause cancer and has taken people from this world far to early?

When my kids saw daddy in constant pain and unable to be a active daddy I'm sure it didn't make them happy and now they have a daddy that is able to throw the ball with them, play with them at the park. So yes I'll tell them what marijuana has enabled me to do, and they won't care. They'll just be happy that we can do the things we do because of it. So you sir can kindly fuck off you closed minded uninformed douche bag Kissing
Haha! I almost typed your exact last sentence!

I'm amazed how people have no issue telling their children that they take xanax for nerves, vicoden for pain, zoloft for depression then drink a bottle of wine every night to "unwind" from a hard day. Yet someone such as yourself is supposed to hide a perfectly logical use for pot from his children...

Post a reply to: Marijuana at the track

The Latest