Marijuana at the track

bkawasakia48
Edited Date/Time 3/18/2016 10:54am
I am from California and i have noticed that marijuana is much more present at the track than it ever has been. i have also even seen cocaine but not nearly as often. Many local pros and pros who have actually made a name for themselves, and many other riders no matter the skill level get stoned in between practice motos and even races. Legally talking can they be arrested for driving under the influence (dui)? I have been worried many times that a guy who is high off his ass is going to make the right decision on the track when i am going by him or he is going by me.
|
3/15/2016 2:02am
Guilty here. 95% of the time I rode I smoked on the way to the track before practice or races and in between them as well. But I smoked constantly in my late teens and early 20's and it helped me stay more focused and relaxed racing and at work. Better then the guys Id see killing a 12 pack throughout the day between motos imo.
fox1nz
3/15/2016 2:04am
Hey if you are seeing this stuff best you tell the owner of the facility, and if nothing happens there call the cops and ride at another track.
bkawasakia48
3/15/2016 2:06am
i completely agree that alcohol would have way more effect. to be honest i have never tried marijuana however i have heard that marijuana slows down your reaction time
bkawasakia48
3/15/2016 2:08am
fox1nz wrote:
Hey if you are seeing this stuff best you tell the owner of the facility, and if nothing happens there call the cops and ride at...
Hey if you are seeing this stuff best you tell the owner of the facility, and if nothing happens there call the cops and ride at another track.
the owner is normally useless because he doesnt want to scare away any potential riders that pay to ride his track but I agree on contacting the ranger and or cops

The Shop

Olson
3/15/2016 2:14am
They would at least lose their AMA card.
JoJmoto
3/15/2016 3:20am
Even if the track owner does nothing, you might want to still tell him about the usage of drugs. Should a guy be so high he goes out and causes some kinda crash that causes serious injury of death, can you imagine the law suit? Let the track owner make that decision if he wants the guy out there stoned.

As for your question, you can get a DUI on a lawn mower, however, when you purchase a dirt bike, it says it is for closed course riding. A track is a closed course so I would think no traffic laws should apply.
sgrimmxdad
Fantasy
1957th
3/15/2016 3:34am
I for one think it is safer than drinking. However NEITHER should be done before riding on a track with others. If you want to hurt yourself fine, but don't endanger others.
hillbilly
3/15/2016 3:39am
I was gonna ride my dirtbike but I got high,

I was gonna blitz the whoops instead I got high.,,,,,,
slipdog
3/15/2016 3:49am
hillbilly wrote:

Now I just post at Vital and I know why....
bkawasakia48
3/15/2016 3:53am
JoJmoto wrote:
Even if the track owner does nothing, you might want to still tell him about the usage of drugs. Should a guy be so high he...
Even if the track owner does nothing, you might want to still tell him about the usage of drugs. Should a guy be so high he goes out and causes some kinda crash that causes serious injury of death, can you imagine the law suit? Let the track owner make that decision if he wants the guy out there stoned.

As for your question, you can get a DUI on a lawn mower, however, when you purchase a dirt bike, it says it is for closed course riding. A track is a closed course so I would think no traffic laws should apply.
thank you for answering the question jojo
MxKing809
Fantasy
334th
3/15/2016 3:56am
"Now I'm a paraplegic, and I know why....."
3/15/2016 4:01am
hillbilly wrote:

Now I just post videos on instagram and I know why

hey hey cause I got high cause I got high cause I got high.
bultokid
3/15/2016 4:11am Edited Date/Time 3/15/2016 4:11am
I take it lot of you weren't around in the 70's
Spydee
3/15/2016 4:37am
Crush wrote:
Not cool.
Dude that's not what you said last weekend when we glided over the mountains on our 2-stroke-winged-unicorns. Unsure
JustMX
3/15/2016 4:47am
hillbilly wrote:

Hey Dave,

Sent you a pm.
dsmith
Fantasy
1470th
3/15/2016 4:59am
it's legal in some states.....and it's prob gonna be legal in some more states soon...
gt80rider
3/15/2016 5:08am
i completely agree that alcohol would have way more effect. to be honest i have never tried marijuana however i have heard that marijuana slows down...
i completely agree that alcohol would have way more effect. to be honest i have never tried marijuana however i have heard that marijuana slows down your reaction time
Sorry, but today's herb is freakn insane... Like one good toke and you can't feel your feet anymore ... Of course it varies a lot, but the good shit can wreck even a long time smoker fairly easily...
MR. X
3/15/2016 5:12am
I remember as a kid at the local sand pit track , all the local fast guys always smoked a joint before they rode , I was maybe 12 at the time and they would always offer us some . Thank goodness for Nancy Reagan and her DARE program they taught us in school.
gt80rider
3/15/2016 5:13am
the owner is normally useless because he doesnt want to scare away any potential riders that pay to ride his track but I agree on contacting...
the owner is normally useless because he doesnt want to scare away any potential riders that pay to ride his track but I agree on contacting the ranger and or cops
From what I have seen, it either falls into... It's a large property, so it's hard to keep track of what's going ... Or two, the owner is a smoker too and turns a blind eye...

I am a big fan of bud, just not before or during the races... But ya, I see/smell more of it being used today than I have since the 70s....
UpTiTe
Fantasy
4109th
3/15/2016 5:14am Edited Date/Time 3/15/2016 5:17am
bultokid wrote:
Or 80s or 90s.

What people need to worry about is all the riders getting strung out on pain killers, if they don't care about that, they definitely wont care about pot.
Trav138
3/15/2016 5:19am
bultokid wrote:
No comparison between that Mexican dirt weed back then to the stuff today. it's almost like two different drugs, the strength nowadays would worry me riding with people on it.
L3G10N
3/15/2016 5:25am Edited Date/Time 3/15/2016 5:25am
So James can take adderall but a natural alternative which does the same for focus and mental acuity gets ridiculed?

I guess you'd prefer someone on opiates or other prescription pills which have much more harmful side effects and damaging effects to reaction time, sensitivity, motor and cognitive function.

Have you forgotten about this guy, who wore #338, one of the most talented riders in history? Who was also a champion.

Uncle Tony
3/15/2016 5:25am
Hey I like a cold beer at the end of a race day with my friends but getting stoned before you race is bullshit, yes it's been going on forever, in my eyes it makes you a fu@king coward, I always wondered if the stoners could get on their bikes if they weren't stoned? Yes I hate it I don't care if you smoke at the end of the day, I'm cool with that but before makes you a hazard and that goes for alcohol use too, save it for the end of the day, and for the record I have ONE beer
L3G10N
3/15/2016 5:35am Edited Date/Time 3/15/2016 5:36am
bultokid wrote:
UpTiTe wrote:
Or 80s or 90s. What people need to worry about is all the riders getting strung out on pain killers, if they don't care about that...
Or 80s or 90s.

What people need to worry about is all the riders getting strung out on pain killers, if they don't care about that, they definitely wont care about pot.
Quite honestly Marijuana is the safest alternative for pain management there is. None of the side effects or dependency issues we've seen with opiates and other pain medicines. It's sad to see the inexperience people have with this subject and the views they've developed from that. The research that's being limited by federal law isn't helping either, but when scientific and medical research can be completed on a widespread basis I think what most already know will be clear: It's a safe and effective alternative for pain management as well as a legitimate aid for many medical conditions. The negative stigma associated with it and it's effects come from the uneducated, inexperienced and misinformed.

The most dangerous thing you can do is think behind the times. Hold values and views that are no longer applicable or realistic to current standards and understandings. Information is ever evolving, as should be our knowledge and opinions generated from it.

It's 2016.
Mini Elsinore
3/15/2016 5:44am
Sell your bike and take up dance. I hear Arthur Murray's is a drug-free zone.

3/15/2016 5:54am
Have a good friend that does it between moto's and absolutely hauls. I couldn't do it that's for sure, but I can't imagine anyone would do something that would slow them down.
Canadad
3/15/2016 5:55am
L3G10N wrote:
Quite honestly Marijuana is the safest alternative for pain management there is. None of the side effects or dependency issues we've seen with opiates and other...
Quite honestly Marijuana is the safest alternative for pain management there is. None of the side effects or dependency issues we've seen with opiates and other pain medicines. It's sad to see the inexperience people have with this subject and the views they've developed from that. The research that's being limited by federal law isn't helping either, but when scientific and medical research can be completed on a widespread basis I think what most already know will be clear: It's a safe and effective alternative for pain management as well as a legitimate aid for many medical conditions. The negative stigma associated with it and it's effects come from the uneducated, inexperienced and misinformed.

The most dangerous thing you can do is think behind the times. Hold values and views that are no longer applicable or realistic to current standards and understandings. Information is ever evolving, as should be our knowledge and opinions generated from it.

It's 2016.
You can tell me that marijuana is safe and I am uneducated and uninformed all day long....I have first hand knowledge that this is not the case and thousands of teens are being misled by this myth. I have lived the damage of marijuana and thankfully the individual in my life is seeing the impact on his life and is turning things around. And its not just me....there are many parents in the same boat as me...just ask around. In what I have experienced, the impact on lives is dramatic, complete and utter change in attitude and personality, no amount of medical research will convince me that what I lived and experienced was a myth. If you want to believe it, its your life, your choice...but please don't assume that everyone you preach to is uninformed.
UpTiTe
Fantasy
4109th
3/15/2016 6:10am
L3G10N wrote:
Quite honestly Marijuana is the safest alternative for pain management there is. None of the side effects or dependency issues we've seen with opiates and other...

It's 2016.
This. I don't condone smoking it, but this is the truth.

I've never been a user, but something that has alwsys baffled me is how its ok to be a dtunk but pot use is so horrible.
IWreckALot
3/15/2016 6:12am
L3G10N wrote:

It's 2016.
I'll just say, when I'm around my friends who habitually smoke, you can tell they smoke. It's a lesser damaging drug than herione and opiates, I'll give you that. But the negative stigma doesn't come from "uneducated, inexperienced and misinformed". . . it comes from non pot heads being around pot heads.

I'm fine with researching it for medicinal use having said that.

Post a reply to: Marijuana at the track

The Latest