Mammoth MX advice

Csb146
4/19/2018 10:04am
I’m planning on doing Mammoth this year for the first time in the 30+ C class. I’m look for some advice or tips on places to stay getting to and from the track or whatever else you may have learned from going. I live in San Deigo so I’ll be driving up most likely the Thursday before the race weekend.
|
rongi#401
4/19/2018 10:09am
having to camp in or show up to the parking staging area and then parking and setting up at like 6 am is a pain
Falcon
Fantasy
843rd
4/19/2018 11:50am Edited Date/Time 4/19/2018 11:50am
Train in Julian, Cuyamaca or some other higher-elevation place. Drink lots of water the week before.

If you're not superstitious, starting gate #13 is my favorite line. Cut everyone to your left off at the snow fence right at the top of the first rise, just out of the gate. You then control the whole pack as you go up the big hill; just drift on over to the right and make 'em shut off. If you are superstitious, go with #12. Laughing

If you didn't buy a practice day already, it's worth doing it. That track is strange and I don't know how to explain it. More time on the dirt is a good thing. The braking bumps get square-edged insane down the hill and before the final turn, so be on the lookout for new lines all the time.
casper
4/19/2018 11:58am
I'm in Clairemont and will be racing in the same class. Are you going to the qualifier this weekend at Pala?

I've gone 2 times before, once I took a small bike trailer and stayed at a hotel, the second time I took my toy hauler and stayed at the RV park. When I stayed in a hotel, I was at The Westin Monache Resort. It has underground parking and I felt safe keeping my bike there overnight. It's walking distance to the Village Plaza where there are a bunch of bars and restaurants.

The track itself is on the outskirts of town, like a 5 minute drive, but it's at the end of this long dirt road. There will be signs how to get there and there will be a bunch of other people going, so you can follow the trucks and campers. You will first have to "stage" at a large parking lot first. The parking at the track is VERY limited for the amount of people going, so like people say, you got to prepare to be there around 5:00-6:00am. I showed up at 6:00am and the parking lot was already filled one day. When you do get to the track, be prepared to be there for the whole day. They pack campers and trailers in back to back, so even when your done for the day, you might not be able to leave. If it's just you and your truck, you should be fine.

As for the racing, it's awesome and you get allot of track time. The track is pretty natural with allot of hills and turns and only a couple of table top jumps. The motos are long and the track is at 8,000 feet elevation, so you and your bike will be working harder.

I'll write more later....
Tim507
4/19/2018 11:59am
I've been to Mammoth once and it is a strange track. I got there a week early and went Mountain biking. At first I was shocked at how hard it was to pedal and keep my breathing in check. After a few I learned to change the tempo of by breathing and all was good.

For sure parking sucked - to early you get buried ... to late and you get the tailings....

The Shop

bowser977
4/19/2018 12:57pm
Unless you're going up atleast two weeks early it doesn't matter when you arrive as far as body adjusting to altitude goes. You can stay in one of the many hotels or campgrounds they have up there. Last year I rode 30B and got in line every morning around 5 to make it up the hill. Unless you are parked along the trees once you arrive up at the track expect to be stuck until people are leaving because they pack everyone in pretty tight. What you don't want to do is show up late and get stuck parking down the hill which is like 2 miles from the track, although on Vet weekend I don't think that happens too often.
SwingHard
4/19/2018 1:06pm
Try to avoid pulling a trailer into the pits!! If possible put your bike ,gear in back of your Truck. You get buried in the pits with a Trailer!
Motoxdoc
4/19/2018 2:38pm
Csb146 wrote:
I’m planning on doing Mammoth this year for the first time in the 30+ C class. I’m look for some advice or tips on places to...
I’m planning on doing Mammoth this year for the first time in the 30+ C class. I’m look for some advice or tips on places to stay getting to and from the track or whatever else you may have learned from going. I live in San Deigo so I’ll be driving up most likely the Thursday before the race weekend.
Anywhere in Mammoth is close to the track. The Courchevel is near the Canyon Lodge (part of the ski resort). It's always empty. It's cheap. They have a pool and jacuz....and the best part is they have connecting garages and you can tune/ride your bike back and forth in the Canyon lodge parking lot (but if you ask anybody about that, they will say hell no...but you can!). The only bummer is all the condos are up a flight of stairs. Oh yeah, they have community washers and dryers and some even have them in the condos. They all have cable too. Ask for a unit near the pool/jacuzz and one with washer/dryer. The manager is a super cool guy named Mark. Tell him the Fitz-G bros recommended them. We've stayed there about 15 times in the last 30 years.
BobbyM
4/19/2018 2:47pm
Take yer trout pole and a frying pan
smit9722
4/19/2018 3:48pm
My advice get the holeshot as there will be crashes at the first bend on the start.
rongi#401
4/19/2018 4:23pm
Cut up insides. Track gets choppy as fuck in main lines. Hitting a back tire and high siding is likely. Got my head ran over in 07...
rongi#401
4/19/2018 4:24pm
Watch as many gopros as u can
OR Racer46
Fantasy
794th
4/19/2018 5:53pm
30 c will most likely have the most riders of all the classes you will
Have to qulifiey to make the main .
OR Racer46
Fantasy
794th
4/19/2018 6:08pm
Also the top 5 from A B C could run a Moto together and it would be a crap shoot who would win . I run A now but 2years ago I got collected up in a 1st turn crash that put me out for over a year .
Csb146
4/20/2018 10:48am
casper wrote:
I'm in Clairemont and will be racing in the same class. Are you going to the qualifier this weekend at Pala? I've gone 2 times before...
I'm in Clairemont and will be racing in the same class. Are you going to the qualifier this weekend at Pala?

I've gone 2 times before, once I took a small bike trailer and stayed at a hotel, the second time I took my toy hauler and stayed at the RV park. When I stayed in a hotel, I was at The Westin Monache Resort. It has underground parking and I felt safe keeping my bike there overnight. It's walking distance to the Village Plaza where there are a bunch of bars and restaurants.

The track itself is on the outskirts of town, like a 5 minute drive, but it's at the end of this long dirt road. There will be signs how to get there and there will be a bunch of other people going, so you can follow the trucks and campers. You will first have to "stage" at a large parking lot first. The parking at the track is VERY limited for the amount of people going, so like people say, you got to prepare to be there around 5:00-6:00am. I showed up at 6:00am and the parking lot was already filled one day. When you do get to the track, be prepared to be there for the whole day. They pack campers and trailers in back to back, so even when your done for the day, you might not be able to leave. If it's just you and your truck, you should be fine.

As for the racing, it's awesome and you get allot of track time. The track is pretty natural with allot of hills and turns and only a couple of table top jumps. The motos are long and the track is at 8,000 feet elevation, so you and your bike will be working harder.

I'll write more later....
Ya, I'm planning on doing the qualifier at Pala. Missed the one at Milestone because I knocked myself out the week before. I'm still on the fence about Mammoth. It's a super busy time of year for me, but I figure I'd rather qualified and not go then be able to go and not have qualified.
Csb146
4/20/2018 10:48am
Thanks everyone for the advice. Helps a lot.
gnarwhip
4/20/2018 12:21pm Edited Date/Time 4/21/2018 3:15pm
If you ride a practice day, be careful. There's so many bikes on the track, it gets super rough really quick. I had a high speed swap out and ended up with a broken arm. Just chill on practice days.
BMSOBx2
4/20/2018 3:41pm
Csb146 wrote:
Thanks everyone for the advice. Helps a lot.
If you got a carbureted bike take a box full of jets.

Post a reply to: Mammoth MX advice

The Latest