Making Racing More Affordable for Teams and Manufacturer's

Johnny Depp
11/2/2018 5:33pm Edited Date/Time 11/6/2018 9:04am
There are storms on the economic horizon, and it would be better to be prepared to trim expenses before it comes cold turkey from the budget rooms. Bike sales are declining already due to a variety of factors and the handwriting is on the wall.

This article tells the story of Yamaha's drastic cuts in MotoAmerica (road racing) very much like when DMG took over the series and lost all of the manufacturer's support. This has previously been stated as one of the biggest fears.
https://www.asphaltandrubber.com/racing/yamaha-graves-motoamerica-2019/

"We have already published about the sizable sales trouble that Yamaha is encountering in the United States, seeing its last 12 months of sales drop 19% compared to the 12 months prior.

We have also talked about Yamaha’s plans to move its headquarters from California to Georgia, taking the brand away from the epicenter of the motorcycle industry, and off to cheaper waters for operations"

"As such, Yamaha Motor USA is set to massively reduce its racing budget in the United States – we have heard that the budget will be reduce by a staggering 75% next year."

So what is to be done? Where can fat be trimmed? If you think deserving rider's aren't getting contracts now, just wait.

It may be too late to affect next year, but things are likely going to have to change.

I'd start with schedules that are more condensed in time and distance.
Less Pro classes is an obvious choice also.
I believe it's possible to accomplish drastic cuts and yet make for a better show, but everyone won't be in it.
|
kb228
11/2/2018 5:38pm
Id put my bets on them cutting amateur programs. Good on them for leaving cali. No sense for anyone to live there or have a company there when taxes and cost of living is that high.
BikeGuy321
11/2/2018 6:56pm
Engines have to last X amount of races. Points, or gate pick penalties if engines are changed more often than the rules allow.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1568th
11/2/2018 7:34pm
Yamaha is just the first and wont be the last to cut the budget. When the local races are low on numbers then in MX its a trickle up effect, the local race scene across the country is what tells the health of the sport and unfortunately its not yet terminal but its heading to critical condition.
olds cool
11/2/2018 7:51pm
Okay, I'll be "that guy"...

Box vans or Sprinters/Transits/Promasters and 2 strokes are a hell of a lot cheaper than semis and fart machines. Rearranging the schedule so that the teams don't cross cross the country 13 times a season would help too.

Flame on.

The Shop

Phillip_Lamb
Fantasy
2511th
11/2/2018 8:22pm
a cultural change needs to happen in the sport. amatuer involvement is at a staggering low, the over emphasis on how much factories are investing in so few individuals displaces help that could be put towards more riders on the fringe.

Suzuki's program is a prime example. When they hired RC, they effectively withdrew amatuer support to help fund his contract by putting all their eggs in one basket. What used to be a solid amateur program that saw many young kids advance on the yellow bikes (ian trettle, davi millsaps, broc hepler pastrana dungey tomac just to name a few)

if factories pulled back the funding of their factory teams a bit they could possible generate more amateur racers. The best salesmen are your local joes, not eli tomac
ledger
11/2/2018 8:53pm
Average family can't afford to go racing so they buy the video game. Lots of money would have to be cut from some deep pockets and I don't see that happening. Also, the door of simplicity continues to close at a fast pace and the economy is edging out the middle class. Sad but true.
11/2/2018 9:11pm
Unfortunately, the manufacturers are only interested in the hard parts that they manufacture and sell.

They never became interested in doing more than lip service to help preserve riding areas. Ultimately, that will be their downfall. The just sent some token money to the AMA, and, well, we know how well that has worked out.

It's biting them harder and harder every year. As more riding areas close and they become farther and farther from the population centers, it gets more difficult to convince people to take this up as a hobby.

Add in the generational differences of kids that are growing up not caring about anything motorized much less being able to work on one and you have an aging sport. Look at the entry sheets for almost any race day...they get more skewed to the Vet classes every year. The days of the 3 division 125 novice class ended a long time ago.

This has always been a participation sport with a relatively low cost to get involved. Between the dollars required and the time required, I don't think you can say that anymore.
kb228
11/2/2018 9:32pm
Unfortunately, the manufacturers are only interested in the hard parts that they manufacture and sell. They never became interested in doing more than lip service to...
Unfortunately, the manufacturers are only interested in the hard parts that they manufacture and sell.

They never became interested in doing more than lip service to help preserve riding areas. Ultimately, that will be their downfall. The just sent some token money to the AMA, and, well, we know how well that has worked out.

It's biting them harder and harder every year. As more riding areas close and they become farther and farther from the population centers, it gets more difficult to convince people to take this up as a hobby.

Add in the generational differences of kids that are growing up not caring about anything motorized much less being able to work on one and you have an aging sport. Look at the entry sheets for almost any race day...they get more skewed to the Vet classes every year. The days of the 3 division 125 novice class ended a long time ago.

This has always been a participation sport with a relatively low cost to get involved. Between the dollars required and the time required, I don't think you can say that anymore.
You can literally get into the sport for as little as $2500 if you look in the right spot. Tons of 90’s 125 for $1500. If you cant swing that then youre probably right to not participate.
11/2/2018 9:44pm
Unfortunately, the manufacturers are only interested in the hard parts that they manufacture and sell. They never became interested in doing more than lip service to...

kb228 wrote:
You can literally get into the sport for as little as $2500 if you look in the right spot. Tons of 90’s 125 for $1500. If...
You can literally get into the sport for as little as $2500 if you look in the right spot. Tons of 90’s 125 for $1500. If you cant swing that then youre probably right to not participate.
Good point.

Yes, but if you have to drive 2 hours to ride it you are less likely to bother. The point is that when the sport was booming, there were places to ride everywhere. That has been dramatically reduced as the population has moved from rural areas to metro centers.

And realistically, while I could buy a $1000 bike, restore it myself and have a fine ride, most of the kids that we need to get into the sport couldn't identify a piston if it were the only thing on the table. Therefore their only entry into the sport will likely be something a dealer sells them. If their dealer has any dirt bikes on the floor at all...

bvm111
11/2/2018 9:49pm
Yet go to any down hill mountain biking areas and all you see is a sea of 10000 dollar mountain bikes... yet for some reason we think Motocross bikes are too expensive?

I don’t get this argument, my 2000 KX250 in 2000 was 5800 OTD and that was a deal deal... I’m pretty sure if I wanted to I could find a left over 2018 450 for around 7-8 OTD which is more affordable than that 250 was 19 years ago.

Just buy a bike and ride and quit worrying about stuff you can’t inpact or change... seriously just go ride!
str8line
11/2/2018 9:59pm
bvm111 wrote:
Yet go to any down hill mountain biking areas and all you see is a sea of 10000 dollar mountain bikes... yet for some reason we...
Yet go to any down hill mountain biking areas and all you see is a sea of 10000 dollar mountain bikes... yet for some reason we think Motocross bikes are too expensive?

I don’t get this argument, my 2000 KX250 in 2000 was 5800 OTD and that was a deal deal... I’m pretty sure if I wanted to I could find a left over 2018 450 for around 7-8 OTD which is more affordable than that 250 was 19 years ago.

Just buy a bike and ride and quit worrying about stuff you can’t inpact or change... seriously just go ride!

E-bikes are about to take over.
kb228
11/2/2018 10:29pm

kb228 wrote:
You can literally get into the sport for as little as $2500 if you look in the right spot. Tons of 90’s 125 for $1500. If...
Good point. Yes, but if you have to drive 2 hours to ride it you are less likely to bother. The point is that when the...
Good point.

Yes, but if you have to drive 2 hours to ride it you are less likely to bother. The point is that when the sport was booming, there were places to ride everywhere. That has been dramatically reduced as the population has moved from rural areas to metro centers.

And realistically, while I could buy a $1000 bike, restore it myself and have a fine ride, most of the kids that we need to get into the sport couldn't identify a piston if it were the only thing on the table. Therefore their only entry into the sport will likely be something a dealer sells them. If their dealer has any dirt bikes on the floor at all...

Im still around 16-17 year old kids on a regular basis because of younger siblings. I can assure you kids arent that stupid. They all know of craigslist and facebook market place. They all know of dirtbikes and street bikes. What i see first hand is just no interest. That goes for anything 2 wheels. We have to compete with netflix, hulu, and cell phones. I dont think price or bike availability is the issue. At least i dont see that where i live. Seems like most people these days would rather binge a netflix series than to do a physical activity. How many adults play any sport after highschool? Not many. Everyone gets fat as fuck and is in a work/sleep/bar/kids cycle. Its sad.
Ewan49
11/2/2018 10:53pm
Yes racing is becoming less affordable, but I don't believe that it is the affordability that is hurting us as much as technology is. No, not 4 stroke technology, but hand-held technology! Kids are the future of our sport...and I can't speak for you guys in America, but over here in Australia more and more kids are giving up on not just our beloved motorbikes, but all sports like football, soccer, cricket...pretty much any sports! And instead they are sitting on their lazy asses with a handful of technology that pretty much puts the world in the palm of their hands. Games, social media, music, whatever they want...it's in their hands ready for them whenever and wherever they want it!
I know it is getting harder and harder to find somewhere close to ride our bikes but when you have a love for the sport you will always find a way to get there and make it happen. Unfortunately for us and for MX in general, kids are instead choosing to love sitting on their lazy asses and having everything they want right there in their hands.
Jrewing
11/2/2018 10:54pm
Stop the cock suckers at Feld poaching existing teams sponsors.
11/2/2018 11:43pm
Modern 4 strokes are reliable and do not have to be expensive. You don’t need 3 grand in mods on your bike. We all just buy the ktm, the rekluse, the Ti pipe etc.

We need a stock class. Find a way to show kids racing doesn’t have to be expensive. We are our own problem.
ledger
11/2/2018 11:52pm
Junior High Motocross...last class of the day.
Helda
11/3/2018 12:04am
Ewan49 wrote:
Yes racing is becoming less affordable, but I don't believe that it is the affordability that is hurting us as much as technology is. No, not...
Yes racing is becoming less affordable, but I don't believe that it is the affordability that is hurting us as much as technology is. No, not 4 stroke technology, but hand-held technology! Kids are the future of our sport...and I can't speak for you guys in America, but over here in Australia more and more kids are giving up on not just our beloved motorbikes, but all sports like football, soccer, cricket...pretty much any sports! And instead they are sitting on their lazy asses with a handful of technology that pretty much puts the world in the palm of their hands. Games, social media, music, whatever they want...it's in their hands ready for them whenever and wherever they want it!
I know it is getting harder and harder to find somewhere close to ride our bikes but when you have a love for the sport you will always find a way to get there and make it happen. Unfortunately for us and for MX in general, kids are instead choosing to love sitting on their lazy asses and having everything they want right there in their hands.
I have a 6yo and you are 100% correct technology is killing all sport!
VET176
11/3/2018 1:11am
olds cool wrote:
Okay, I'll be "that guy"... Box vans or Sprinters/Transits/Promasters and 2 strokes are a hell of a lot cheaper than semis and fart machines. Rearranging the...

Box vans or Sprinters/Transits/Promasters and 2 strokes are a hell of a lot cheaper than semis and fart machines. Rearranging the schedule so that the teams don't cross cross the country 13 times a season would help too.

Flame on.

tempura
11/3/2018 1:27am
Make it more affordable to teams and manufacturers??
You’re looking at the wrong end of the spectrum.. make it more affordable at the grass roots and there will be plenty of money for the teams and manufacturers.
Helda
11/3/2018 1:57am
tempura wrote:
Make it more affordable to teams and manufacturers?? You’re looking at the wrong end of the spectrum.. make it more affordable at the grass roots and...
You’re looking at the wrong end of the spectrum.. make it more affordable at the grass roots and there will be plenty of money for the teams and manufacturers.
Yep exactly
jsmi33966
11/3/2018 5:18am
Bring back 2 strokes!
BobPA
11/3/2018 5:50am
jsmi33966 wrote:
Bring back 2 strokes!
I do not get this argument. They never left. There are still options for new two stroke, and they are allowed to race in a huge variety of classes...
walent215
11/3/2018 7:07am
kb228 wrote:
Good point. Yes, but if you have to drive 2 hours to ride it you are less likely to bother. The point is that when the...
Good point.

kb228 wrote:
Im still around 16-17 year old kids on a regular basis because of younger siblings. I can assure you kids arent that stupid. They all know...
Im still around 16-17 year old kids on a regular basis because of younger siblings. I can assure you kids arent that stupid. They all know of craigslist and facebook market place. They all know of dirtbikes and street bikes. What i see first hand is just no interest. That goes for anything 2 wheels. We have to compete with netflix, hulu, and cell phones. I dont think price or bike availability is the issue. At least i dont see that where i live. Seems like most people these days would rather binge a netflix series than to do a physical activity. How many adults play any sport after highschool? Not many. Everyone gets fat as fuck and is in a work/sleep/bar/kids cycle. Its sad.
the cell phone and video game program is so huge nowadays its unreal. I do believe that has alot to do with the problem... kids arent bugging mom and dad for a dirt bike because there hemmed up in the house playing fortnite...dont ask me how I know...please. it's a very tough situation as a parent trust me. my son gets very good grades and I would love to reward him by driving down to my dealer and letting him pick out a new bike...in a heartbeat. He rode a little bit when he was 7-9ish while watching his older brother ride/ race but it never really interested him. It's very simple actually...
kids these days arent as interested because of the social media/ video games/ cell phones program...its crazy
Johnny Depp
11/3/2018 7:57am
tempura wrote:
Make it more affordable to teams and manufacturers?? You’re looking at the wrong end of the spectrum.. make it more affordable at the grass roots and...
Helda wrote:
Yep exactly
In any business you can always increase sales rather than cut expenses. It's much easier said than done.

Let's remember that to almost all of the manufacturer's MX is a very small piece of the product pie. In powersport's alone there are ATV/UTV, Watercraft, Street bikes, generators etc. Then consider that Honda is a car company 1st now, Kawasaki Heavy Industries builds ships, Yamaha has music instruments, Suzuki build cars etc. and you realize fixing the grass roots of MX is not going to fix the big picture.

MX/SX is fortunately not something that makes any sense from an advertising/marketing budget in relation to MX bike sales or even dirt bike sales to most companies. Just as in MotoGP where Millions are spent annually with no specific replica bikes ever sold, it is an Umbrella affect for the whole companies brand awareness and pride.

If the economy tanks, getting caught without liquid assets to institute changes and responses to the new market environment will be near impossible and you end up like Alta. When the "Winter is Coming" you need to be prepared.
Tarz483
Fantasy
379th
11/3/2018 8:11am Edited Date/Time 11/3/2018 8:13am
It Used to be always blamed on the Economy after 2008,but now the Economy has bounced Back
In most ways , Those mountain bikes priced well
Into the thousands are a perfect example, so its definitely not only economic, and it's safe to say we as a sport dropped the ball somewhere along the way ,
Price does still matter because A lot of middle and lower class where priced out , and there are things that could have been done to help , like some Budget classes, or older bike classes , 125cc only classes etc. Because as someone said yes you can go get everything you need for $2500 , but it's not as fun and can even be embarrassing, lining up on you raggedy old bike next to a brand new ones , and fully modded suspension done etc etc, sure it's great if your really good and beat them but getting lapped , not so much , so purposely making some classes where you only race others on equal equipment would have helped ...
But imo our Biggest concern Right now is Riding area's
I Live in Minnesota and the ones we have are nice , but way far from the populated areas
And not a lot of them , and other than the organized Race tracks , Its Really hard to find a place to ride, all land Nowdays in some states is owned , privately, by businesses or being farmed, there is almost no open land to ,just make a small track on , or a field to make a turn track on , unless you buy the land.
I personally dont Buy that its phones, Video games,Computers, I think they simply arent being introduced to it. And aren't given the opportunity to ride.
I would Argue that at least 50% of Boys age between 5 and 18 would Want to ride a Dirt bike ...

endurox
11/3/2018 8:16am
bvm111 wrote:
Yet go to any down hill mountain biking areas and all you see is a sea of 10000 dollar mountain bikes... yet for some reason we...

str8line wrote:

E-bikes are about to take over.
Like Mitch Payton said, cut down the SX to 14 rounds and the outdoors a few rounds less. Either FELD start coughing up travel money for the privateers when the next round is more than 500 miles away or go to a throw away your 2 worst races. 250cc class. Race a 2 stroke. or 4 stroke. 125 class with 15K$ claiming rule. 1 semi per team and lower the db level down to 90 at 2 meters on a 45 degree angle..
walent215
11/3/2018 9:12am
Tarz483 wrote:
It Used to be always blamed on the Economy after 2008,but now the Economy has bounced Back In most ways , Those mountain bikes priced well...
It Used to be always blamed on the Economy after 2008,but now the Economy has bounced Back
In most ways , Those mountain bikes priced well
Into the thousands are a perfect example, so its definitely not only economic, and it's safe to say we as a sport dropped the ball somewhere along the way ,
Price does still matter because A lot of middle and lower class where priced out , and there are things that could have been done to help , like some Budget classes, or older bike classes , 125cc only classes etc. Because as someone said yes you can go get everything you need for $2500 , but it's not as fun and can even be embarrassing, lining up on you raggedy old bike next to a brand new ones , and fully modded suspension done etc etc, sure it's great if your really good and beat them but getting lapped , not so much , so purposely making some classes where you only race others on equal equipment would have helped ...
But imo our Biggest concern Right now is Riding area's
I Live in Minnesota and the ones we have are nice , but way far from the populated areas
And not a lot of them , and other than the organized Race tracks , Its Really hard to find a place to ride, all land Nowdays in some states is owned , privately, by businesses or being farmed, there is almost no open land to ,just make a small track on , or a field to make a turn track on , unless you buy the land.
I personally dont Buy that its phones, Video games,Computers, I think they simply arent being introduced to it. And aren't given the opportunity to ride.
I would Argue that at least 50% of Boys age between 5 and 18 would Want to ride a Dirt bike ...

Imo...its alot of things collectively . After reading your post it definitely shows we are all affected by certain surrounding circumstances and theres not one element to blame. In California where we live theres endless places to ride whether trails, tracks etc. As mentioned in my post I have 2 boys that were introduced to riding/ racing at a very young age. My oldest only took to it at about age 12 after having multiple bikes/ quads from a very young age ,5ish if memory serves me correctly. He rode /raced and still does to this day at 21. In fact he has 2 bikes ....lol. My youngest was also introduced at a very young age being around myself and my oldest racing / riding etc. I also bought him multiple bikes that he rode over the years but he never really took to it. Hes only 14 and may choose to ride but so far he hasnt and I wont force it on him. I disagree about the cost of the sport to blame as well simply because we live in one of the most expensive states and our household income is just barely into six figures. We do not live outside our means and have managed to participate in the sport for years racing / riding . Not trying to "argue" with you just pointing out that there are many reasons contributing to issues regarding the growth or decline of our sport.
piscokid
11/3/2018 10:16am
Good point.

kb228 wrote:
Im still around 16-17 year old kids on a regular basis because of younger siblings. I can assure you kids arent that stupid. They all know...
walent215 wrote:
the cell phone and video game program is so huge nowadays its unreal. I do believe that has alot to do with the problem... kids arent...
the cell phone and video game program is so huge nowadays its unreal. I do believe that has alot to do with the problem... kids arent bugging mom and dad for a dirt bike because there hemmed up in the house playing fortnite...dont ask me how I know...please. it's a very tough situation as a parent trust me. my son gets very good grades and I would love to reward him by driving down to my dealer and letting him pick out a new bike...in a heartbeat. He rode a little bit when he was 7-9ish while watching his older brother ride/ race but it never really interested him. It's very simple actually...
kids these days arent as interested because of the social media/ video games/ cell phones program...its crazy
I have a son that has had a motorcycle since 5. He is 15 now. Raced since 6 and was passionate about it until this year. I never pushed him to ride or race, he drove it all. This year it just stopped. We have ridden about 5 times, 1 race in April and a one about 2 weeks ago. He would prefer to play online with his buddies. His grades are good he has just lost interest. He has a pit bike and we have property, so he still beats on that thing a couple of times a week, but that stupid computer and online gaming just sucks up all his time. Before someone says, "You're the parent, you can control it" How? Grades are awesome, chores get done, he works out 3 times a week at home, it's his friends from school he is online with. What's the difference between him doing that or watching TV?

HD1200
11/3/2018 10:26am
olds cool wrote:
Okay, I'll be "that guy"... Box vans or Sprinters/Transits/Promasters and 2 strokes are a hell of a lot cheaper than semis and fart machines. Rearranging the...

Flame on.
You took the words right out of my keyboard.
mikec265
11/3/2018 10:42am
Far fetched, but if the manufacturers sort of united to be the promoters and paid riders a percentage of the events profits.... Get rid of FIM, Feld, and mxsports.
Let the riders and only the riders vote on what rules should be added, deleted, and modified. As long as they are a current registered pro they can vote.

Post a reply to: Making Racing More Affordable for Teams and Manufacturer's

The Latest