Make Motocross Great Again Petition

kx254f
Edited Date/Time 10/13/2020 2:08pm
Has anyone seen this?

https://www.change.org/p/american-motocross-association-make-motocross-great-again-b3510e65-b0c6-4f6f-834d-edfd87da45c6

Saw it shared on Facebook along with a photo of Jerry Robin in Make Motocross Great Again gear and graphics. Lots of privateers out there frustrated and struggling - many of which who've gotten injured and the sport has done nothing to help them. It's sad when you look at it deeper than the broadcasted show.

Justin Barcia won $12,000 for winning A1 this year and Adam Enticknap won $1070.00 for placing last in the LCQ. What about the 250 riders? I don't know why anyone would try to compete knowing the costs associated with this level of racing. Denny Hamlin won over $2,000,000 for winning the Daytona 500... I get NASCAR is bigger but this is ridiculous. Risk everything - get nothing.

Isn't the AMA suppose to protect the riders? Apparently rape is an AMA Value Add Evil

Glad to see someone is making some noise on this issue!!
|
Motodave15
9/14/2020 4:27pm Edited Date/Time 9/14/2020 4:31pm
Careful the folks round here dont like these kind of conversations and will immediately ask you where the funds are coming from? Then deflect again about not knowing what feld is making or spending per race. Then deflect again and again and again.

Check out this song about it that came out. (https://youtu.be/RDd66j6WVlw)

Then i saw this post from a rider the other day. Alot of stuff man, Noise needs to be made

MxKing809
Fantasy
334th
9/14/2020 4:34pm
There is a growing sentiment that both sides think they provide a service to the other.

Riders: Without us, Feld can not put on the Circus

Feld: Without us, the Circus animals have no tent to perform under and no way to make money

Feld needs 40 - 50% occupancy to break even at the typical SX.... so if they do end up at 80-100% with an extra 10-15k people over the break even point, they’re looking at 200-500k profit from each event.

It’s been a long time coming that the riders flex back and take more from the ring leaders at Feld.
aeffertz
9/14/2020 4:35pm
“No no no... I don’t think you understand. My online petition has a thousand signatures.”

The Shop

spimx
9/14/2020 4:37pm
I thought this would be a 2 stroke thing
mwssquad827
9/14/2020 4:41pm
aeffertz wrote:
“No no no... I don’t think you understand. My online petition has a thousand signatures.”
Any of these signatures actually have anything to do with paying the riders??? Or just fans?? BTW I agree with just wondering. It’s going to take more than a couple thousand fans bitching and moaning.. gonna need some big industry players!!
JustMX
9/14/2020 5:17pm Edited Date/Time 9/14/2020 5:17pm
Never going to happen without support of the ET, MM, CW, JB, ZO etc, level riders, and those guys are never going to rock the boat and risk their $100k win bonuses.
SCC
9/14/2020 5:19pm Edited Date/Time 9/14/2020 5:25pm
Barcia made over $150,000 that day and is a millionaire from this sport and will retire and never work again by age 35. Not to shabby. Purse money pays for dinner and drinks after the race.
Mcflurry98
9/14/2020 5:20pm
At some point, the riders are going to have to leverage something. Otherwise nothing will ever change.

The pulpmx interview with Chris Canning this past week was pretty interesting. He cleaned up at the Maine Event and Baja Brawl in consecutive weekends and made way more money than he would have busting his balls to race the nationals.

A lot of local series still offer 150%-200% payout in 250A and 450A. Maybe we will soon get to a point where all the guys that aren't on factory/salary rides just stop showing up to the nationals and start to make their money at the local level. It would be good for the sport at a grassroots level, pump money into the local moto community, and force the promotors to take a good hard look at what a series would be like with half empty gates.

Maybe that would change some things. Maybe it wouldn't. That's just my thought on the matter.
kx254f
9/14/2020 5:50pm
SCC wrote:
Barcia made over $150,000 that day and is a millionaire from this sport and will retire and never work again by age 35. Not to shabby...
Barcia made over $150,000 that day and is a millionaire from this sport and will retire and never work again by age 35. Not to shabby. Purse money pays for dinner and drinks after the race.
Justin tell you that?
Mcflurry98
9/14/2020 6:42pm
The crux of the matter is that unless those riders have a contract that ensures them a hefty bonus payout, then they don't really make that much money after expenses.

I'm not going to go through every manufacturers contingency payout to dive into it. But 10th place at an MX national or Supercross gets $1K in Kawasaki contingency. 10th place in a 450 main is $2,450 ($965 in the 250 class). $3K isn't going to cut it for a guy humping it across the country every week in a sprinter van and taking showers at the truck stop.
Having said that, it is the riders decision to keep chasing the dream.

Ultimately, it's not an economically sustainable option for the riders that aren't on a factory ride and I'd venture to guess that 99.999% of the people on this forum have zero clue what an increase in the purse would do to MX Sports or Feld from a financial standpoint. Especially in 2020. So ultimately, it comes down to 1 of 3 things.

1) Non-factory riders continue to show up to the races as they always have and nothing changes.
2) Non factory riders stop showing up to the races, ratings drop, attendance drops, and promotors are forced to increase the purse if it's fiscally sustainable for them to do so
3) Non factory riders stop showing up to the races, the gates are half full, but ratings and attendance stay the same or potentially improve. The promotors keep the purse money they now aren't spending and their margin increases.

kx254f
9/14/2020 6:52pm
So you mean to say that the money coming into the sport, including the money from the advertisers, can’t be restructured in a way that the guy who gets last place in the LCQ can earn enough to cover his costs to get to the race, the wear and tear on his machines, and maybe have a few extra bucks to buy some lunch?

I disagree.

There’s more money funneling through this sport than people think and industry guys know it but they can’t rock the ship because they’ll lose their career. There are a few greedy players at the top of this industry and they do a good job masking themselves.
RalphS
9/14/2020 6:57pm
Sad but ain't gonna happen, it's just the way most (no-financial fairplay) team-sports work. See what NHL, FIFA, etc is do as example.

As F1 is motorsports king, it's intersting to see what they're doing. The F1 changes should result in a leveled and more competitive field ala Nascar, this should increase revenue, expectators etc and reduce the salary gap.

If that becomes a proven better business model, it's likely that other motorsports will copy, that being said no one buys F1/Nascar cars to be a weekend warrior.

You want a fair playing field in an individual sports that pays relatively well to all that are good? Go watch Tennis.
JMed651
9/14/2020 7:06pm
I was out after the title was “make MOTOCROSS great again” but the first 4 comments revolve around Feld.
kx254f
9/14/2020 7:15pm Edited Date/Time 9/14/2020 7:18pm
Mcflurry98 wrote:
The crux of the matter is that unless those riders have a contract that ensures them a hefty bonus payout, then they don't really make that...
The crux of the matter is that unless those riders have a contract that ensures them a hefty bonus payout, then they don't really make that much money after expenses.

I'm not going to go through every manufacturers contingency payout to dive into it. But 10th place at an MX national or Supercross gets $1K in Kawasaki contingency. 10th place in a 450 main is $2,450 ($965 in the 250 class). $3K isn't going to cut it for a guy humping it across the country every week in a sprinter van and taking showers at the truck stop.
Having said that, it is the riders decision to keep chasing the dream.

Ultimately, it's not an economically sustainable option for the riders that aren't on a factory ride and I'd venture to guess that 99.999% of the people on this forum have zero clue what an increase in the purse would do to MX Sports or Feld from a financial standpoint. Especially in 2020. So ultimately, it comes down to 1 of 3 things.

1) Non-factory riders continue to show up to the races as they always have and nothing changes.
2) Non factory riders stop showing up to the races, ratings drop, attendance drops, and promotors are forced to increase the purse if it's fiscally sustainable for them to do so
3) Non factory riders stop showing up to the races, the gates are half full, but ratings and attendance stay the same or potentially improve. The promotors keep the purse money they now aren't spending and their margin increases.

Exactly. It works for the guys on top cause the sport has been self-cleansing. When one batch of racers are out of money and sponsors have dried up, there’s another generation ready to fill the spots...

A little more investment back into the racers would actually grow the sport instead of shrink it. Youth parents everywhere are chasing a unicorn and if their kid is any good, they get scoffed up by some amateur team with factory support and if they continue to do well, an action sports agent will seduce their family into signing their career money away for the chance to be the next RC, JS, RD, ET, etc. and they fall for it. Next thing you know, little Jimmy has a career-ending injury and his whole program is dropped leaving the racer and his family with nothing to show for everything they sacrificed to get to this point.

It’s corrupt from get-go but everyone is eating it up because they don’t know there isn’t a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. They share the same passion we all do and they dream big. But that’s all it is for most - just a bullshit dream and it needs to change or this sport we love is in trouble.
AxlBundy
9/14/2020 7:27pm
Reminds me a bit of local musicians crying about not affording health insurance and how society owes it to them so they can continue to chase an imaginary dream. Everyone has to give up and get a real job at some point. I think the smartest racers are the ones chasing $ where ever it may be while expending the least amount of dough. If you are 20 and not riding for Pro Circuit, it’s probably not going to happen.

I get where Jerry is coming from though. TV money should trickle down a bit more as a equalizer.
brocster
9/14/2020 7:30pm
It simple- Trim the fat, both sides. I’m sure the promoters org structure is top heavy as most corporate orgs are and on the teams side, money spent on “pit presence” and hospitality needs a trim and have the money spent on a bigger team of riders. People will still visit the pits, stand inl line for posters and autographs whether there is a semi with an awning and fake grass or a box van with an ez up and shop mat. Too much money wasted on nonsense is the choice over paying showmen.
ML512
Fantasy
54th
9/14/2020 7:36pm Edited Date/Time 9/14/2020 7:37pm
AxlBundy wrote:
Reminds me a bit of local musicians crying about not affording health insurance and how society owes it to them so they can continue to chase...
Reminds me a bit of local musicians crying about not affording health insurance and how society owes it to them so they can continue to chase an imaginary dream. Everyone has to give up and get a real job at some point. I think the smartest racers are the ones chasing $ where ever it may be while expending the least amount of dough. If you are 20 and not riding for Pro Circuit, it’s probably not going to happen.

I get where Jerry is coming from though. TV money should trickle down a bit more as a equalizer.
It’s not Jerry organizing this, it’s Mike Grondahl. He’s the one pulling the strings on this, go check out his Twitter for same great ramblings about Geico...claiming conspiracy against them politically when they wouldn’t let him run the make motocross great again logo on the fender of the Geico Hondas... Laughing
ML512
Fantasy
54th
9/14/2020 7:40pm
brocster wrote:
It simple- Trim the fat, both sides. I’m sure the promoters org structure is top heavy as most corporate orgs are and on the teams side...
It simple- Trim the fat, both sides. I’m sure the promoters org structure is top heavy as most corporate orgs are and on the teams side, money spent on “pit presence” and hospitality needs a trim and have the money spent on a bigger team of riders. People will still visit the pits, stand inl line for posters and autographs whether there is a semi with an awning and fake grass or a box van with an ez up and shop mat. Too much money wasted on nonsense is the choice over paying showmen.
One thing to mention about the rigs many of the teams operate within. It allows the area and materials needed to put together the activation and sponsorship materials needed to pull in the big bucks that pay these riders (speaking of private teams such as FC, Star, JGR). Box vans don’t solve any of this. At the size of a Geico Honda, you’d need five or six of those things on the road every week to take of their needs.
Brent
9/14/2020 7:52pm
ML512 wrote:
It’s not Jerry organizing this, it’s Mike Grondahl. He’s the one pulling the strings on this, go check out his Twitter for same great ramblings about...
It’s not Jerry organizing this, it’s Mike Grondahl. He’s the one pulling the strings on this, go check out his Twitter for same great ramblings about Geico...claiming conspiracy against them politically when they wouldn’t let him run the make motocross great again logo on the fender of the Geico Hondas... Laughing
I wasn’t going to bring that up, but I for one am very surprised that a Businessman like Mr Grondahl would want to alienate sponsors by trying that.

Motocross is not political, I try to escape what’s going on in our country today by enjoying moto, and I don’t want any politics one way or the other in my face when I watch racing.

What main sponsor will sign on to Factory Connection Honda if there is a political message one way or the other?

bigk218
Fantasy
3159th
9/14/2020 7:53pm
Isn’t the sx series for sale. The manufacturers should all chip in and buy the series and totally restructure
brocster
9/14/2020 7:55pm
brocster wrote:
It simple- Trim the fat, both sides. I’m sure the promoters org structure is top heavy as most corporate orgs are and on the teams side...
ML512 wrote:
One thing to mention about the rigs many of the teams operate within. It allows the area and materials needed to put together the activation and...
One thing to mention about the rigs many of the teams operate within. It allows the area and materials needed to put together the activation and sponsorship materials needed to pull in the big bucks that pay these riders (speaking of private teams such as FC, Star, JGR). Box vans don’t solve any of this. At the size of a Geico Honda, you’d need five or six of those things on the road every week to take of their needs.
Overkill... I am sure a sponsor would rather see another bike with their name on it in the main or night show over a having a place to sit and eat loose meat sandwiches with their entire family under the “tent”. The fluffing should happen on the track is all I’m saying.

Pretty sure them sandwiches don’t sit too well when their only rider crashes, gets hurt, or DNF’s
Mx286
9/14/2020 7:58pm
It will NEVER happen. If a large group decided to boycott there would be others to step up and take their place. The guy that qualifies 55th 10 seconds off the pace of the 40th place guy thinks it’s his time to shine.

I don’t really get why everyone thinks these guys are in it for the money. I’ve raced with past and present guys. Not all but the majority of these guys come from money or someone who is willing to foot the large bill. Yea some travel in vans but a sprinter that’s 50k?? The modern day privateer is not the same as it use to be.
Brent
9/14/2020 8:03pm
kx254f wrote:
So you mean to say that the money coming into the sport, including the money from the advertisers, can’t be restructured in a way that the...
So you mean to say that the money coming into the sport, including the money from the advertisers, can’t be restructured in a way that the guy who gets last place in the LCQ can earn enough to cover his costs to get to the race, the wear and tear on his machines, and maybe have a few extra bucks to buy some lunch?

I disagree.

There’s more money funneling through this sport than people think and industry guys know it but they can’t rock the ship because they’ll lose their career. There are a few greedy players at the top of this industry and they do a good job masking themselves.
So, what “ deep state” is running moto, what are their names, and what do they do with the million$ they steal from privateers?

You can post the documents here of course.
ML512
Fantasy
54th
9/14/2020 8:08pm Edited Date/Time 9/14/2020 8:09pm
brocster wrote:
ML512 wrote:
One thing to mention about the rigs many of the teams operate within. It allows the area and materials needed to put together the activation and...
brocster wrote:
Overkill... I am sure a sponsor would rather see another bike with their name on it in the main or night show over a having a...
Overkill... I am sure a sponsor would rather see another bike with their name on it in the main or night show over a having a place to sit and eat loose meat sandwiches with their entire family under the “tent”. The fluffing should happen on the track is all I’m saying.

Pretty sure them sandwiches don’t sit too well when their only rider crashes, gets hurt, or DNF’s
Very few sponsors pay for the branding on the bikes. They’re paying for business to business relationships the teams create for them, and the data/marketing opportunities created by the interactions and displays in the pits.

Take a four rider team into account. How much do you think it would cost to have the semi for ten years on the circuit versus four box vans? With around 50,000 miles a year placed on them, drivers, fuel, tires, hotels, wear and tear, rebranding costs with changing sponsors.
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
9/14/2020 8:09pm
I wish there was an easy way to total up how many of these threads there have been on Motodrive and Vital MX.

I'm behind it in theory, but while all this Covid stuff is going on? It's probably not the time to think you're going to get major change done.
Brent
9/14/2020 8:22pm
ML512 wrote:
Very few sponsors pay for the branding on the bikes. They’re paying for business to business relationships the teams create for them, and the data/marketing opportunities...
Very few sponsors pay for the branding on the bikes. They’re paying for business to business relationships the teams create for them, and the data/marketing opportunities created by the interactions and displays in the pits.

Take a four rider team into account. How much do you think it would cost to have the semi for ten years on the circuit versus four box vans? With around 50,000 miles a year placed on them, drivers, fuel, tires, hotels, wear and tear, rebranding costs with changing sponsors.
Paying for all that is easy.

You see, Kenneth Feld and Davey Coombs have a giant, rural warehouse together where they keep all their secret dirt bike racing promoter profits stacked to the ceiling like Escobar.
Donkey Kong
9/14/2020 8:30pm
If Feld profits were split 50/50 with riders all 22 bikes in the main event would be factory rides and any local pro with a valid license could get a free bike

Post a reply to: Make Motocross Great Again Petition

The Latest