Major negative of ReKluse Clutches

Titan1
Edited Date/Time 3/10/2016 2:02pm
I've been riding with a ReKluse clutch for about 4 years...Always their CORE EXP models (a couple of 2.0's and most recently a 3.0). I've always loved that it felt like a traditional clutch, and I didn't even know it was there until I needed it (prevented stalls mostly). I'm always been (and still am) a HUGE fan of the company and the product.

And the thing is, I didn't think I really used it that much. I've always used the clutch normally and so I didn't feel like I used it very often.

Then I rode a bike without one. I recently purchased a 2015 KX450, and got it all ready for off road EXCEPT the rekluse clutch...I had VERY little time on it, and my first race of the season came up (94 mile Hare and Hound)...riding this bike WITHOUT a ReKluse clutch made me realize just how much I used that thing...in the past 4 years it had become a crutch I didn't even know I was using. It felt like I literally had to relearn how to ride a bike with a traditional clutch, and I struggled big time with it, and as a result I feel like I've been riding with training wheels the past four years and didn't even know it.

So I guess the one major negative I can think of (in four years of experience) on the product, is also probably the greatest compliment I could give it, and the reason I love it so much...It works so well, that you end up using it even when you don't think you are.
|
MxKing809
Fantasy
315th
3/9/2016 8:54am
Just imagine if you didn't have the 4 stroke crutch too! Lol

- 2 stroke Taliban
Sparkey
3/9/2016 8:54am
Agree, had one for 3 years and didn't put one in my new bike. Took me about 3-4 rides to retrain myself.
hillbilly
3/9/2016 8:57am
I'm not sure i could use one.

Always,always have the clutch in when not on the throttle. It is the way I learned and learned how that unbinds the resr suspension.

The Shop

Tracktor
3/9/2016 9:06am
I rode my CRF250 off road with one once. I only ride mx. I couldn't imagine how much harder single track would be without one. They are awesome products.........
kkawboy14
3/9/2016 9:10am Edited Date/Time 3/9/2016 9:17am
Lazy motocrossers, before you know it bikes will just be remote control from the stands Smile
hillbilly
3/9/2016 9:16am
Tracktor wrote:
I rode my CRF250 off road with one once. I only ride mx. I couldn't imagine how much harder single track would be without one. They...
I rode my CRF250 off road with one once. I only ride mx. I couldn't imagine how much harder single track would be without one. They are awesome products.........
The mountains is where i learned my skills, lots of trails and fireroads. Now,you cant get anywhere near them with a bike.
Xeno
3/9/2016 9:29am
If you are offered a test ride on a bike with A Kit or factory suspension- just know that you will probably not like your own bike as much afterwords.
huck
3/9/2016 9:30am
The bikes do all the work anyway....
Excaliburbmx
3/9/2016 9:34am
kkawboy14 wrote:
Lazy motocrossers, before you know it bikes will just be remote control from the stands Smile
Electric start 4 strokes now auto clutch. Not my cup of tea
Robgvx
3/9/2016 9:37am
Question for you Rekluse users.

I notice in the installation instructions that when you get to set it up you have to use a rubber band on the clutch lever to measure how much the clutch lever moves when you rev the bike off idle.

So, clearly the clutch lever free play changes when the clutch engages.

Question is, does this become a factor on a start, when the clutch lever play changes? Does it feel weird having your clutch lever adjust itself? Or does the change happen so close to idle speed that it really isn't a factor in use?
3/9/2016 9:43am
Agree fully. I have had mine core exp in about 20 hours now. I think I have just got to depend on it so much, though I try not too, as I was only thinking while riding at the weekend that I don't want to forget how to ride properly so to speak if I couldn't have it anymore.

They are awesome products, only thing that concerns me is the life expectancy with them but it's still going strong, but totally worth the money if you can afford one, do it!
munsch121
3/9/2016 9:54am
Titan1 wrote:
I've been riding with a ReKluse clutch for about 4 years...Always their CORE EXP models (a couple of 2.0's and most recently a 3.0). I've always...
I've been riding with a ReKluse clutch for about 4 years...Always their CORE EXP models (a couple of 2.0's and most recently a 3.0). I've always loved that it felt like a traditional clutch, and I didn't even know it was there until I needed it (prevented stalls mostly). I'm always been (and still am) a HUGE fan of the company and the product.

And the thing is, I didn't think I really used it that much. I've always used the clutch normally and so I didn't feel like I used it very often.

Then I rode a bike without one. I recently purchased a 2015 KX450, and got it all ready for off road EXCEPT the rekluse clutch...I had VERY little time on it, and my first race of the season came up (94 mile Hare and Hound)...riding this bike WITHOUT a ReKluse clutch made me realize just how much I used that thing...in the past 4 years it had become a crutch I didn't even know I was using. It felt like I literally had to relearn how to ride a bike with a traditional clutch, and I struggled big time with it, and as a result I feel like I've been riding with training wheels the past four years and didn't even know it.

So I guess the one major negative I can think of (in four years of experience) on the product, is also probably the greatest compliment I could give it, and the reason I love it so much...It works so well, that you end up using it even when you don't think you are.
absolutely 100% in agreement. ....I only ran one for 1 summer, sold that motor complete with the cultch and built a new motor without one.....I missed it more than I ever though I would. I feel I am without a doubt faster, especially setting up for corners, with the rekluse. I'm just too poor to buy another.
Tim507
3/9/2016 10:09am
I've had one in my bikes on and off for a few years. In 500 DS 500XCF it was awesome. In my 300XC for trail riding and Offroad races I would not be without it.

I just installed one in my 16 350SXF and like it a lot.

Of course as an old man I rather like the RekluceWoohooWhistling
JM485
3/9/2016 10:14am Edited Date/Time 3/9/2016 10:31am
Robgvx wrote:
Question for you Rekluse users. I notice in the installation instructions that when you get to set it up you have to use a rubber band...

I notice in the installation instructions that when you get to set it up you have to use a rubber band on the clutch lever to measure how much the clutch lever moves when you rev the bike off idle.

Question is, does this become a factor on a start, when the clutch lever play changes? Does it feel weird having your clutch lever adjust itself? Or does the change happen so close to idle speed that it really isn't a factor in use?
When you adjust it, essentially you are just revving the bike in neutral and seeing how much the lever moves in under tension. I've been running one for a couple years now but I don't race Moto very much, so I haven't done a whole lot of starts with it, but I don't think it made starting any harder really. I feel like you lose a little bit of feel at the lever, but at the same time the clutch slips a little on its own when you start in second anyways so that makes up for it. The lever doesn't really "adjust itself", the free play gain measurement is just to make sure your cable is at the correct tension, there is no play at the lever like a normal clutch.

Edit: I should clarify for those who aren't familair with these clutches, my experience is limited to only the EXP, not the full kit. The full kit should keep stock lever feel.
Titan1
3/9/2016 10:28am
hillbilly wrote:
I'm not sure i could use one. Always,always have the clutch in when not on the throttle. It is the way I learned and learned how...

Always,always have the clutch in when not on the throttle. It is the way I learned and learned how that unbinds the resr suspension.

There is no reason you can't do that with a rekluse (clutch in when the throttle not on)...it LITERALLY works and feels just like a traditional clutch, and can be used just like a traditional clutch.
Titan1
3/9/2016 10:33am Edited Date/Time 3/9/2016 10:38am
Robgvx wrote:
Question for you Rekluse users. I notice in the installation instructions that when you get to set it up you have to use a rubber band...

What they are checking with the rubber band on the lever is the "free play gain". The free play gain is checked at the lever (with the rubber band-I just use my hand to do it now), and adjusted under the clutch cover, by adjusting the install gap.

Essentially you take whatever free play you have in the lever out, by putting a bit of pressure on the lever, and then when you rev the motor (in neutral) to about 5000 RPM, then lever should move in by 1/8th -1/4 inch...if its any more than that, you have to much free play gain, any less and you don't have enough and your clutch won't work correctly.

I've never noticed the free play gain at all when riding. I've done a few moto style starts and never noticed it...but I"m not a moto guy, so you might be more particular than me.

You need to have that 1/8-1/4 of free play gain in order for the EXP disc to work correctly.
Robgvx
3/9/2016 10:34am
hillbilly wrote:
I'm not sure i could use one. Always,always have the clutch in when not on the throttle. It is the way I learned and learned how...

That's a bad habit.
Titan1
3/9/2016 10:38am
mxpassion wrote:
Agree fully. I have had mine core exp in about 20 hours now. I think I have just got to depend on it so much, though...
Agree fully. I have had mine core exp in about 20 hours now. I think I have just got to depend on it so much, though I try not too, as I was only thinking while riding at the weekend that I don't want to forget how to ride properly so to speak if I couldn't have it anymore.

They are awesome products, only thing that concerns me is the life expectancy with them but it's still going strong, but totally worth the money if you can afford one, do it!
Yes, to be honest, life expectancy is less than a traditional clutch...especially under race conditions (I'm not fast by any means...a mid pack A rider-off road). For casual trail riding it would probably last forever...but racing tends to be harder on them. This was a fault that ReKluse acknowledged on their Core EXP 2.0...and it seems to be improved on my Core EXP 3.0, I've got probably 50 or 60 hours on my 3.0, and still going strong.

Proper Maintenance improves life expectancy, but even then, I still haven't gotten the life out of them that I could a traditional clutch.
Titan1
3/9/2016 10:39am
Robgvx wrote:

JM485 wrote:
When you adjust it, essentially you are just revving the bike in neutral and seeing how much the lever moves in under tension. I've been running...
When you adjust it, essentially you are just revving the bike in neutral and seeing how much the lever moves in under tension. I've been running one for a couple years now but I don't race Moto very much, so I haven't done a whole lot of starts with it, but I don't think it made starting any harder really. I feel like you lose a little bit of feel at the lever, but at the same time the clutch slips a little on its own when you start in second anyways so that makes up for it. The lever doesn't really "adjust itself", the free play gain measurement is just to make sure your cable is at the correct tension, there is no play at the lever like a normal clutch.

Edit: I should clarify for those who aren't familair with these clutches, my experience is limited to only the EXP, not the full kit. The full kit should keep stock lever feel.
The full kit does indeed keep stock lever feel.
moto0852
3/9/2016 12:18pm
Some aftermarket parts are nice and some I consider a necessity.

#1 Suspension set up for your skill and weight.
#2 A Rekluse...yes it's that good!
#3 Set of Tubliss inserts (run your tires at 9psi all day long and never get a pinch flat)

Everything else is just "flash"
3/9/2016 12:52pm
I loved mine. I just had the clutch pack that you insert into the clutch. It was amazing, and as Titan said, will definitely spoil you. I've gotten over it since having to do without, but I still, on occasion, forget myself and jam on my rear brake and pivot hard, only to stall. With Rekluse, no such problem.

My mistake was installing EBC levers (which I'd never had before) and not realizing that the big red adjustable nut on the clutch side moved around as the bike vibrated. All it took was a couple of laps and I burned up my clutch and the Rekluse never worked the same again.

Yeah, I know, I'm a Moran.
3/9/2016 12:53pm
Oh, and I raced MX with mine installed. The only thing I noticed on the start line was that I could put the bike in gear and sit there ready to drop the hammer when the gate fell.
3/9/2016 1:39pm
mxpassion wrote:
Agree fully. I have had mine core exp in about 20 hours now. I think I have just got to depend on it so much, though...

Titan1 wrote:
Yes, to be honest, life expectancy is less than a traditional clutch...especially under race conditions (I'm not fast by any means...a mid pack A rider-off road)...
Yes, to be honest, life expectancy is less than a traditional clutch...especially under race conditions (I'm not fast by any means...a mid pack A rider-off road). For casual trail riding it would probably last forever...but racing tends to be harder on them. This was a fault that ReKluse acknowledged on their Core EXP 2.0...and it seems to be improved on my Core EXP 3.0, I've got probably 50 or 60 hours on my 3.0, and still going strong.

Proper Maintenance improves life expectancy, but even then, I still haven't gotten the life out of them that I could a traditional clutch.
Yeh I'm a average b class club rider so it doesn't get loadsa grief. I don't mind replacing plates a bit more regular, but can't afford to be throwing a exp half way through the season. Do you find exp disk wears with the stock plates equally? I change the oils every other ride so shouldn't be too bad in that respect.
Titan1
3/9/2016 2:03pm
mxpassion wrote:

Titan1 wrote:
Yes, to be honest, life expectancy is less than a traditional clutch...especially under race conditions (I'm not fast by any means...a mid pack A rider-off road)...

mxpassion wrote:
Yeh I'm a average b class club rider so it doesn't get loadsa grief. I don't mind replacing plates a bit more regular, but can't afford...
Yeh I'm a average b class club rider so it doesn't get loadsa grief. I don't mind replacing plates a bit more regular, but can't afford to be throwing a exp half way through the season. Do you find exp disk wears with the stock plates equally? I change the oils every other ride so shouldn't be too bad in that respect.
It's not the exp disk that wears...it's usually the clutch plates and/or friction disks that will go first (and can be replaces separate from the exp disk), usually from not maintaining a proper install gap (which you check at the lever)...if that gap gets to small it will burn up the clutch, if its no big it will slip.

I don't know how much you ride (I'm assuming you aren't riding 20-30 hours/week)...but you shouldn't ever have to worry about the exp disk half way through a season (so long as you properly maintain your bike and the install gap).
Robgvx
3/9/2016 2:08pm
Oh, and I raced MX with mine installed. The only thing I noticed on the start line was that I could put the bike in gear...
Oh, and I raced MX with mine installed. The only thing I noticed on the start line was that I could put the bike in gear and sit there ready to drop the hammer when the gate fell.
So you then started the race using the clutch as normal? Or are you saying you just went of the line in auto mode, without using the clutch lever?

If so, does the bike not bog trying to pull from idle?

philG
3/9/2016 2:18pm
There is a guy i race with who uses a Rekluse for SM, and he just sits there on idle and guns it when the lights change.

if he isnt on the front row, its a nightmare , because he is into the row in front in about 4 bike lengths .
Titan1
3/9/2016 2:29pm
Oh, and I raced MX with mine installed. The only thing I noticed on the start line was that I could put the bike in gear...
Robgvx wrote:
So you then started the race using the clutch as normal? Or are you saying you just went of the line in auto mode, without using...
So you then started the race using the clutch as normal? Or are you saying you just went of the line in auto mode, without using the clutch lever?

If so, does the bike not bog trying to pull from idle?

You can slip it just like a normal clutch...so if you did start in gear in "auto mode", and it started to bog, you could slip the clutch (like any other clutch) to keep the RPM's where they need to be.
Robgvx
3/9/2016 2:32pm
philG wrote:
There is a guy i race with who uses a Rekluse for SM, and he just sits there on idle and guns it when the lights...
There is a guy i race with who uses a Rekluse for SM, and he just sits there on idle and guns it when the lights change.

if he isnt on the front row, its a nightmare , because he is into the row in front in about 4 bike lengths .
I have one waiting to go on Phil. Can't wait to try it with my other secret weapon...
philG
3/9/2016 2:54pm
philG wrote:
There is a guy i race with who uses a Rekluse for SM, and he just sits there on idle and guns it when the lights...

Robgvx wrote:
I have one waiting to go on Phil. Can't wait to try it with my other secret weapon...
oohhh i see what you are going to do there .

Post a reply to: Major negative of ReKluse Clutches

The Latest