Main Event Mookie?

ctbale
12/6/2018 5:24am
top of the box by race 3.
kaptkaos
12/6/2018 5:31am
ctbale wrote:
top of the box by race 3.
From your lips to God's ears, Amen brutha!

newmann
12/6/2018 6:13am
Great personality

Sponsors dream

More "talented" than James

Never fully "preperated".Laughing

Unseen potential on the 450

I keep hoping to see it all come together
Bramlett321
12/6/2018 6:41am
He won a lites title like 2 or 3 years ago. Chill.
Exactly !!! He's never been in this situation with his preparation and having a full on ride. Talk shit after this season but right now we...
Exactly !!! He's never been in this situation with his preparation and having a full on ride. Talk shit after this season but right now we can't judge him based on anything because he's never came in prepared and fit.
-MAVERICK- wrote:
I remember Wilson not having a ride and coming in fully prepared on a privateer Yamaha. Turned out well for him too. What was Malcolm's excuse...
I remember Wilson not having a ride and coming in fully prepared on a privateer Yamaha. Turned out well for him too.

What was Malcolm's excuse not to show up fit and ready to go over the last couple years? I seem to remember him saying he's skipping the outdoors to come into SX fully prepared. How did that turn out?

"He's never been in this situation with his preparation and having a full on ride."

Who's fault is that? Malcolm could've had a full on ride with MCR coming into 2018 but he didn't return MCR's calls.

Am I the only one that remembers that? Maybe I'm imagining things?

Ride or no ride, it's his job to train and be ready.

Don't deny it, you all know those are facts.
Of course those are all facts....but this is the first year he's had a full ride and wanted to prepare. Whatever his reasons for not be prepared without a ride are....that's on him. This is his first season with full backing, so he prepared....Maybe that's just the way he is and what motivates him.

The Shop

-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3730th
12/6/2018 7:11am
-MAVERICK- wrote:
A 250SX title is a good indicator that they'll be successful once they move up to the 450 class? Let's take a look. Here's some 450SX...
A 250SX title is a good indicator that they'll be successful once they move up to the 450 class?

Let's take a look. Here's some 450SX stats for riders that have won at least 1 250SX title (formally the 125 class) starting from 1999. Amount of titles on the left.

x1 Nathan Ramsey: 2 podiums, 1 win
x2 Ernesto Fonseca: 10 podiums, no wins
x1 Shae Bentley: Never moved up
x1 Stephane Roncada: 3 podiums, no wins
x1 Travis Pastrana: 3 podiums, no wins
x1 Travis Preston: No podiums
x1 Chad Reed: Self explanatory
x2 James Stewart: Self explanatory
x1 Branden Jesseman: Never moved up
x2 Ivan Tedesco: 3 podiums, no wins
x2 Grant Langston: No podiums
x1 Davi Millsaps: 35 podiums, 5 wins
x1 Ryan Villopoto: Self explanatory
x1 Ben Townley: Never moved up
x1 Jason Lawrence: 1 podium, no win
x1 Trey Canard: 21 podiums, 5 wins
x1 Ryan Dungey: Self explanatory
x2 Christophe Pourcel: No podiums
x1 Jake Weimer: 5 podiums, no wins
x1 Broc Tickle: 1 podium, no win
x2 Justin Barcia: 12 podiums, 2 wins
x1 Eli Tomac: 42 podiums, 21 wins
x1 Ken Roczen: 30 podiums, 11 wins
x1 Wil Hahn: No podiums
x1 Jason Anderson: 26 podiums, 7 wins
x1 Justin Bogle: No podiums
x2 Cooper Webb: 2 podiums, no wins
x1 Marvin Musquin: 27 podiums, 6 wins
x1 Malcolm Stewart: No podiums

* Didn't include Zach Osborne, Justin Hill, and Aaron Plessinger since they have yet to do a full 450SX season.

20 years
28 250SX Champs
5 Riders went on to win at least 1 450SX title.
Chad Reed (x2), James Stewart (x2), Ryan Villopoto (x4), Ryan Dungey (x4), and Jason Anderson (x1).

Don't get me wrong, some riders went on to have great careers but I don't think a 250SX title is a good indicator that a rider will automatically be succesful once he moves up to the 450.
Helda wrote:
Ok I'm not one way or the other but I'd like to see how many 450/250 champions didnt win a lites title?
rdrurypi wrote:
Zero.
Wrong. I already answered that question. The answer to that is in a post I quoted from you on this very page (Now on the previous page). If you had bothered reading it you would know that.

List of riders that have won a 250/450SX title without a 125/250SX title to their name.

Here's what I said.

"In fact the only guys to have won at least 1 250/450SX title without a 125/250SX title to their names are Jeff Ward (x2), Rick Johnson (x2), Jeff Stanton (x3), Jean-Michel Bayle (x1), and Jeff Emig (x1)."
rdrurypi
12/6/2018 8:19am
Helda wrote:
Ok I'm not one way or the other but I'd like to see how many 450/250 champions didnt win a lites title?
rdrurypi wrote:
Zero.
-MAVERICK- wrote:
Wrong. I already answered that question. The answer to that is in a post I quoted from you on this very page (Now on the previous...
Wrong. I already answered that question. The answer to that is in a post I quoted from you on this very page (Now on the previous page). If you had bothered reading it you would know that.

List of riders that have won a 250/450SX title without a 125/250SX title to their name.

Here's what I said.

"In fact the only guys to have won at least 1 250/450SX title without a 125/250SX title to their names are Jeff Ward (x2), Rick Johnson (x2), Jeff Stanton (x3), Jean-Michel Bayle (x1), and Jeff Emig (x1)."
Different era than we were discussing, they did not have regional lights/125 championships during that era. Part of the evolution of the sport. I remember Ward at the Superbowl of motocross as maybe a 16 year old riding the entire track on his footpegs because of his size. Apples and oranges argument. And your probably right about me skipping some of your content, I must have fallen asleep.
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3730th
12/6/2018 9:48am
rdrurypi wrote:
Zero.
-MAVERICK- wrote:
Wrong. I already answered that question. The answer to that is in a post I quoted from you on this very page (Now on the previous...

Here's what I said.

rdrurypi wrote:
Different era than we were discussing, they did not have regional lights/125 championships during that era. Part of the evolution of the sport. I remember Ward...
Different era than we were discussing, they did not have regional lights/125 championships during that era. Part of the evolution of the sport. I remember Ward at the Superbowl of motocross as maybe a 16 year old riding the entire track on his footpegs because of his size. Apples and oranges argument. And your probably right about me skipping some of your content, I must have fallen asleep.
Regardless of it was a different era, the question was how many riders earned a 250/450SX title without having a 125/250SX title to their name.

Seeing as the split coasts of East/West 125SX races started back in '85 my answer is relevant.

That said in the modern era of Supercross every 450SX title has been won by someone that has at least 1 125/250SX title to their name and that goes all the way back to 1998. Pretty amazing.

I wonder how long it'll be until someone wins another 450SX title without first having a 250SX title to their name. I mean the streak has been going on for 21 years and I don't see that changing in 2019. Hell I don't see that changing for the next few years.
RichieW13
Fantasy
2913th
12/6/2018 10:00am
-MAVERICK- wrote:
Regardless of it was a different era, the question was how many riders earned a 250/450SX title without having a 125/250SX title to their name. Seeing...
Regardless of it was a different era, the question was how many riders earned a 250/450SX title without having a 125/250SX title to their name.

Seeing as the split coasts of East/West 125SX races started back in '85 my answer is relevant.

That said in the modern era of Supercross every 450SX title has been won by someone that has at least 1 125/250SX title to their name and that goes all the way back to 1998. Pretty amazing.

I wonder how long it'll be until someone wins another 450SX title without first having a 250SX title to their name. I mean the streak has been going on for 21 years and I don't see that changing in 2019. Hell I don't see that changing for the next few years.
Yeah, it looks like Baggett, Brayton and Wilson are probably the best active riders who never won a 250SX title. (Though Baggett and Wilson do have 250MX titles.) It seems unlikely that any of them will win a championship.
zehn
12/6/2018 10:26am
Mav why do you have so much against Mookie? I just want to see him do well and it seems a lot of others do too
Ray_MXS
12/6/2018 11:10am
zehn wrote:
Mav why do you have so much against Mookie? I just want to see him do well and it seems a lot of others do too
Why does everyone bash Maverick so hard? He's just beeing logical and realistic.

Who in the history has gone from beeing a 10th-15th place guy to suddenly winning races? Nobody.

I'm a big Mookie fan and I hope and believe he will take a step forward next year but thinking he can win main events all of a sudden is way way over the top.
zehn
12/6/2018 11:14am Edited Date/Time 12/6/2018 11:15am
zehn wrote:
Ray_MXS wrote:
Why does everyone bash Maverick so hard? He's just beeing logical and realistic. Who in the history has gone from beeing a 10th-15th place guy to...
Why does everyone bash Maverick so hard? He's just beeing logical and realistic.

Who in the history has gone from beeing a 10th-15th place guy to suddenly winning races? Nobody.

I'm a big Mookie fan and I hope and believe he will take a step forward next year but thinking he can win main events all of a sudden is way way over the top.
I’m not bashing Mav, he adds a lot to most of the conversations he participates in.

Every time Mookie comes up he has nothing but negative things to say. I don’t understand that.

I also didn’t say anything about Mookie winning races and anybody who did should re-evaluate their conclusion.
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3730th
12/6/2018 11:16am
zehn wrote:
It might look like I have something against him but in all honesty, I don't. I actually quite like him. He's got a great personality and he's great for the sport.

The issue is that he's made excuses in the past when he shouldn't have. He should've just owned up to it. If he doesn't like the outdoors, that's fine but say so. Look at Reed, he's said it before that he's not a fan of the outdoors. Nothing wrong with that. Some guys prefer SX, some prefer MX and some like both equally. Saying you're not doing the nationals in order to get ready for SX and then show up out of shape is not a good look. He then wondered why teams overlooked him. Well, not showing initiative and not following through on your words is easy to see why some teams didn't want to hire him. If he's not willing to invest in himself in order to get better why should a team invest in him over some other guys that show work ethic?

There's no denying his results have been sub par thus far in his 450 career.

Now look where he is. He's now riding for MCR Honda and coming into 2019 with a better program. He could've had that ride coming into 2018 and used that as a building year and come into 2019 even stronger than he's coming into it now but he didn't return their calls for whatever reasons. Was it because it wasn't a factory team? MCR might not be a factory team but they have Honda support, have great bikes and the team has been at it a long time. If they didn't know what they were doing they would have left the sport years ago and Honda wouldn't be supporting them.

I do wish him well and look forward to seeing what he can do come 2019.
BobKerr
12/6/2018 11:26am
kaptkaos wrote:
Weve beat this one around before, he was never in shape because he never went into a 450 off season with a contract so he didnt...
Weve beat this one around before, he was never in shape because he never went into a 450 off season with a contract so he didnt have any income to pay for a trainer/fitness program testing, practice bike and mechanic, etc. Its the same thing many others have said in the same situation. While they can train, ride and practice, its not at a level that they can compete with the top guys who have the best of everything lined up. It takes a shit ton of fitness to even ride around a pro track in 20th place for 20 laps or 30+2. The fact he did it and was top 10 shows he has better fitness and talent than the true privateers (broke ones) but that his program was not on par with the top guys.

Now you are going to say he should pay out of his pocket, or his rich brother should pay for all of it. He said clearly he wasnt going to work for free, and I support him and rider who takes that stance. He doesnt need to pay to race nor should he.

I am a big Mookie fan, and I hope this is his breakout year. I am rooting for good things.
I call BS. Malcolm has tracks on his property to train on. Running is free, and cycling is cheap. His brother trained with Aldon, and knows how to prepare for racing. I am sure he would help Malcolm train if he wanted the help. He was just lazy. It is not like Malcolm had to try and fit training and riding in around his 40 hr/wk regular job. I'm just glad he has turned over a new leaf for the 2019 SX season.
kaptkaos
12/6/2018 11:36am
hes not the only one who doesnt get in shape without a contract, Weimer, Reed, and a few others have said it too. At the end of the day its work and part of the job. If you dont have a paid ride, or any good prospect, then very few riders will be in tip top shape. Yes its a choice, and he made it, I dont totally disagree with his choice. Theres 10 other guys out there on the gate that wish they could race at his level last year. He did okay, and hopefully will progress this year. All the riders say fitness is not a one year program, you have to have a few healthy seasons with a steady contract to get in tip top shape to compete for the top spot on the podium. This year will speak volumes for Mookie, I wish him success.

BTW- his brother will not train him or even go near a track. He is over it. Mookie wants to be his own man at this point.
sam hain
12/6/2018 11:52am
I like Malcolm but its funny to hear the same guys making excuses for James making the same excuses for mookie.
gt80rider
12/6/2018 11:57am
I always believed that Mookie had the speed to win at any level, and at times his whoop AND corner speed are second to none. If he has the fitness thing licked, he could absolutely be a podium, or even a title threat. Huge fan, hope Mookie puts in his best results ever this year!
12/6/2018 1:03pm
NorCal 50+ wrote:
Why does he crash so much? Every time you look at the dude he's flying off the bike. He seems to have that "trying too hard"...
Why does he crash so much? Every time you look at the dude he's flying off the bike. He seems to have that "trying too hard" syndrome (Canard, Townley, etc.)
Not scared? Trying to please all the haters who say he can't do 20 laps? Could be lots of reasons.
BobKerr
12/6/2018 1:11pm
NorCal 50+ wrote:
Why does he crash so much? Every time you look at the dude he's flying off the bike. He seems to have that "trying too hard"...
Why does he crash so much? Every time you look at the dude he's flying off the bike. He seems to have that "trying too hard" syndrome (Canard, Townley, etc.)
With Mookie I think it is two things.

1) That is how he rides. On the edge of in control

2) His fitness has been sub par for a while, and he is trying to keep up with the top pros. He gets weak/tired, rides beyond his ability to control the bike at that speed, and crashes.
brocster
12/6/2018 1:42pm
zehn wrote:
-MAVERICK- wrote:
It might look like I have something against him but in all honesty, I don't. I actually quite like him. He's got a great personality and...
It might look like I have something against him but in all honesty, I don't. I actually quite like him. He's got a great personality and he's great for the sport.

The issue is that he's made excuses in the past when he shouldn't have. He should've just owned up to it. If he doesn't like the outdoors, that's fine but say so. Look at Reed, he's said it before that he's not a fan of the outdoors. Nothing wrong with that. Some guys prefer SX, some prefer MX and some like both equally. Saying you're not doing the nationals in order to get ready for SX and then show up out of shape is not a good look. He then wondered why teams overlooked him. Well, not showing initiative and not following through on your words is easy to see why some teams didn't want to hire him. If he's not willing to invest in himself in order to get better why should a team invest in him over some other guys that show work ethic?

There's no denying his results have been sub par thus far in his 450 career.

Now look where he is. He's now riding for MCR Honda and coming into 2019 with a better program. He could've had that ride coming into 2018 and used that as a building year and come into 2019 even stronger than he's coming into it now but he didn't return their calls for whatever reasons. Was it because it wasn't a factory team? MCR might not be a factory team but they have Honda support, have great bikes and the team has been at it a long time. If they didn't know what they were doing they would have left the sport years ago and Honda wouldn't be supporting them.

I do wish him well and look forward to seeing what he can do come 2019.
Think you are assuming to much to make his situation fit your agenda.
He won a lites title and said he wasn’t doing the outdoors to prepare for supercross.
He and most everyone else thought that being a 250 champ would land you a good seat but it didn’t. I’m guessing that if a sx ride would have surfaced in the off season he weould have but it didn’t and he didn’t
So far this year solidifies that statement. If he’s got support he does the work
Heindsight id a mother trucker
And what works for some doesn’t work for everyone
jeffro503
12/6/2018 2:55pm
zehn wrote:
Ray_MXS wrote:
Why does everyone bash Maverick so hard? He's just beeing logical and realistic. Who in the history has gone from beeing a 10th-15th place guy to...

zehn wrote:
I’m not bashing Mav, he adds a lot to most of the conversations he participates in. Every time Mookie comes up he has nothing but negative...
I’m not bashing Mav, he adds a lot to most of the conversations he participates in.

Every time Mookie comes up he has nothing but negative things to say. I don’t understand that.

I also didn’t say anything about Mookie winning races and anybody who did should re-evaluate their conclusion.
I believe Malcolm will do better this year , barring any type of injury.

I don't see Mav bashing Malcolm at all here.....but instead , just posting facts. Some of you think that a guy that usually places around 12th - 17th , is all of a sudden going to " start winning main's ".

It's called being realistic , and having your head not stuck in the clouds. I hope Malcolm can go fight for some to 5 - 8th place finishes , as that would be great. But if anyone think's he'll be fighting for win's , you are either delirious or aren't giving the top guy's in that class their due respect.

Try thinking with your head.....not you heart.
brocster
12/6/2018 3:22pm
Ray_MXS wrote:

zehn wrote:
I’m not bashing Mav, he adds a lot to most of the conversations he participates in. Every time Mookie comes up he has nothing but negative...

jeffro503 wrote:
I believe Malcolm will do better this year , barring any type of injury. I don't see Mav bashing Malcolm at all here.....but instead , just...

I don't see Mav bashing Malcolm at all here.....but instead , just posting facts. Some of you think that a guy that usually places around 12th - 17th , is all of a sudden going to " start winning main's ".

It's called being realistic , and having your head not stuck in the clouds. I hope Malcolm can go fight for some to 5 - 8th place finishes , as that would be great. But if anyone think's he'll be fighting for win's , you are either delirious or aren't giving the top guy's in that class their due respect.

What’s trying to be said is that in the limited last two years he put 12-15th kind of effort and got 12-15th results

This year he is putting in a better effort and could/should post better results (wins are a bit of a stretch but I can see a 3rd possibly)

Mookis is always fast through the whoops and for a bigger looking dude on the bike is deceivingly fast. (Generally speaking)

Funny how Webb’s name hasn’t surface in this thread as some sort of comparison...

WCRider
Fantasy
2287th
12/6/2018 3:30pm Edited Date/Time 12/8/2018 12:34am
He will win some LCQ
MX-LIFE.
12/6/2018 3:44pm
isn't this like his 28th chance to compete. Same shit every year.
He won a lites title like 2 or 3 years ago. Chill.
-MAVERICK- wrote:
What does winning a 250 title have to do with anything? Plenty of guys have won 250 titles and did nothing in the 450 class. In...
What does winning a 250 title have to do with anything? Plenty of guys have won 250 titles and did nothing in the 450 class.

In case you haven't noticed Malcolm hasn't done all that much on the big bike.
Niether have you .?
Kenny Lingus
12/6/2018 4:10pm
Did I miss him being signed for the '19 SX season? Last I read it was just support for some overseas races.
12/6/2018 4:14pm Edited Date/Time 12/6/2018 4:14pm
Did I miss him being signed for the '19 SX season? Last I read it was just support for some overseas races.
As of now I believe that all it is is some help for overseas races but from what Matthes (and Malcolm himself actually) has been saying it seems it should be a done deal for the season. I may be wrong on that, though.
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3730th
12/6/2018 8:39pm
zehn wrote:

jeffro503 wrote:
I believe Malcolm will do better this year , barring any type of injury. I don't see Mav bashing Malcolm at all here.....but instead , just...

brocster wrote:
What’s trying to be said is that in the limited last two years he put 12-15th kind of effort and got 12-15th results This year he...
What’s trying to be said is that in the limited last two years he put 12-15th kind of effort and got 12-15th results

This year he is putting in a better effort and could/should post better results (wins are a bit of a stretch but I can see a 3rd possibly)

Mookis is always fast through the whoops and for a bigger looking dude on the bike is deceivingly fast. (Generally speaking)

Funny how Webb’s name hasn’t surface in this thread as some sort of comparison...

I brought up Webb's name in the 2 years in comparison list I did.

Malcolm Stewart
2017: 15 races, no podiums, best finish - 9th
2018: 16 races, no podiums, best finish - 6th

Cooper Webb
2017: 12 races, 1 podium
2018: 13 races, 1 podium

That said in terms of overall performance you're right. Webb hasn't performed to the level a lot of people expected him to but was still a top 10 guy.

Let's take a look at their average performance finish in each season and both seasons combined.

Malcolm Stewart
2017: 15 races with an average finish of 14.13
2018: 16 races with an average finish of 12.44
Combined: 31 races with an average finish of 13.26

Cooper Webb
2017: 12 races with an average finish of 10.08
2018: 13 races with an average finish of 9.15
Combined: 25 races with an average finish of 9.60

Now, since Malcolm did more races than Cooper in both seasons let's only take Malcolm's first 12 races of the 2017 season and first 13 races of the 2018 season for a more accurate comparison between the two.

Malcolm Stewart
2017: 12 races with an average finish of 14.33
2018: 13 races with an average finish of 12.69
Combined: 25 races with an average finish of 13.48
Motofinne
12/7/2018 12:26am
I think it will be interesting to see what level he is on now that he finally has a deal before the season starts. I'm gonna guess that he will get top 5 in one or two races but more often hover around 10th which is good in my opinion!
js451
12/7/2018 3:09am
jeffro503 wrote:

brocster wrote:
What’s trying to be said is that in the limited last two years he put 12-15th kind of effort and got 12-15th results This year he...

-MAVERICK- wrote:
I brought up Webb's name in the 2 years in comparison list I did. [b]Malcolm Stewart[/b] 2017: 15 races, no podiums, best finish - 9th 2018...
I brought up Webb's name in the 2 years in comparison list I did.

Malcolm Stewart
2017: 15 races, no podiums, best finish - 9th
2018: 16 races, no podiums, best finish - 6th

Cooper Webb
2017: 12 races, 1 podium
2018: 13 races, 1 podium

That said in terms of overall performance you're right. Webb hasn't performed to the level a lot of people expected him to but was still a top 10 guy.

Let's take a look at their average performance finish in each season and both seasons combined.

Malcolm Stewart
2017: 15 races with an average finish of 14.13
2018: 16 races with an average finish of 12.44
Combined: 31 races with an average finish of 13.26

Cooper Webb
2017: 12 races with an average finish of 10.08
2018: 13 races with an average finish of 9.15
Combined: 25 races with an average finish of 9.60

Now, since Malcolm did more races than Cooper in both seasons let's only take Malcolm's first 12 races of the 2017 season and first 13 races of the 2018 season for a more accurate comparison between the two.

Malcolm Stewart
2017: 12 races with an average finish of 14.33
2018: 13 races with an average finish of 12.69
Combined: 25 races with an average finish of 13.48
And if no clear winner emerges from all of this, a two-man sack race will be held on consecutive Sundays until a champion can be crowned.

If these stats change the way you enjoy the races you might be reading into it too much
js451
12/7/2018 3:12am
And Malcolm is a successful supercross rider, I’m looking forward to watching him race in 2019

Post a reply to: Main Event Mookie?

The Latest