Main Event Mookie?

-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3739th
12/5/2018 1:30pm Edited Date/Time 12/5/2018 10:25pm
He won a lites title like 2 or 3 years ago. Chill.
-MAVERICK- wrote:
What does winning a 250 title have to do with anything? Plenty of guys have won 250 titles and did nothing in the 450 class. In...
What does winning a 250 title have to do with anything? Plenty of guys have won 250 titles and did nothing in the 450 class.

In case you haven't noticed Malcolm hasn't done all that much on the big bike.
rdrurypi wrote:
Come on Maverick, you know that a 250SX championship is a pretty good indicator that a person should do well in the 450s. All of the...
Come on Maverick, you know that a 250SX championship is a pretty good indicator that a person should do well in the 450s. All of the current top 450 riders have lights championships and I can’t think of a guy who doesn’t have a lights championship other than JB10 in the top 10.
A 250SX title is a good indicator that they'll be successful once they move up to the 450 class?

Let's take a look. Here's some 450SX stats for riders that have won at least 1 250SX title (formally the 125 class) starting from 1999. Amount of titles on the left.

x1 Nathan Ramsey: 2 podiums, 1 win
x2 Ernesto Fonseca: 10 podiums, no wins
x1 Shae Bentley: Never moved up
x1 Stephane Roncada: 3 podiums, no wins
x1 Travis Pastrana: 3 podiums, no wins
x1 Travis Preston: No podiums
x1 Chad Reed: Self explanatory
x2 James Stewart: Self explanatory
x1 Branden Jesseman: Never moved up
x2 Ivan Tedesco: 3 podiums, no wins
x2 Grant Langston: No podiums
x1 Davi Millsaps: 35 podiums, 5 wins
x1 Ryan Villopoto: Self explanatory
x1 Ben Townley: Never moved up
x1 Jason Lawrence: 1 podium, no win
x1 Trey Canard: 21 podiums, 5 wins
x1 Ryan Dungey: Self explanatory
x2 Christophe Pourcel: No podiums
x1 Jake Weimer: 5 podiums, no wins
x1 Broc Tickle: 1 podium, no win
x2 Justin Barcia: 12 podiums, 2 wins
x1 Eli Tomac: 42 podiums, 21 wins
x1 Ken Roczen: 30 podiums, 11 wins
x1 Wil Hahn: No podiums
x1 Jason Anderson: 26 podiums, 7 wins
x1 Justin Bogle: No podiums
x2 Cooper Webb: 2 podiums, no wins
x1 Marvin Musquin: 27 podiums, 6 wins
x1 Malcolm Stewart: No podiums

* Didn't include Zach Osborne, Justin Hill, and Aaron Plessinger since they have yet to do a full 450SX season.

20 years
28 250SX Champs
5 Riders went on to win at least 1 450SX title.
Chad Reed (x2), James Stewart (x2), Ryan Villopoto (x4), Ryan Dungey (x4), and Jason Anderson (x1).

Don't get me wrong, some riders went on to have great careers but I don't think a 250SX title is a good indicator that a rider will automatically be succesful once he moves up to the 450.
hyler199
12/5/2018 1:33pm
Ray_MXS wrote:
He does look better this year but there's always something happening to Mookie. I expect to see him more often in the top 10 this year...
He does look better this year but there's always something happening to Mookie. I expect to see him more often in the top 10 this year though and possibly even top 5 on occasion. Him fighting for wins is a bit delusional though SillyGrinning
Honestly I know J Hill is sick but when I saw him bout to whoop everybody ass i was still a bit shocked.
If I see Mookie this year get a good start and its "that" track, kind of the same situation Hill was in.... I would be less surprised to see Malc win one than Hill winning one.

rdrurypi
12/5/2018 1:50pm
-MAVERICK- wrote:
What does winning a 250 title have to do with anything? Plenty of guys have won 250 titles and did nothing in the 450 class. In...
What does winning a 250 title have to do with anything? Plenty of guys have won 250 titles and did nothing in the 450 class.

rdrurypi wrote:
Come on Maverick, you know that a 250SX championship is a pretty good indicator that a person should do well in the 450s. All of the...
Come on Maverick, you know that a 250SX championship is a pretty good indicator that a person should do well in the 450s. All of the current top 450 riders have lights championships and I can’t think of a guy who doesn’t have a lights championship other than JB10 in the top 10.
-MAVERICK- wrote:
A 250SX title is a good indicator that they'll be successful once they move up to the 450 class? Let's take a look. Here's some 450SX...
A 250SX title is a good indicator that they'll be successful once they move up to the 450 class?

Let's take a look. Here's some 450SX stats for riders that have won at least 1 250SX title (formally the 125 class) starting from 1999. Amount of titles on the left.

* Didn't include Zach Osborne, Justin Hill, and Aaron Plessinger since they have yet to do a full 450SX season.

20 years
28 250SX Champs
Chad Reed (x2), James Stewart (x2), Ryan Villopoto (x4), Ryan Dungey (x4), and Jason Anderson (x1).

Don't get me wrong, some riders went on to have great careers but I don't think a 250SX title is a good indicator that a rider will automatically be succesful once he moves up to the 450.
Off the top of my head, you missed McGrath. You still made my point. A “good indicator” would be exactly what your sweet little chart explains. Very few people with a 250 or lights regional title have had little success on a 450. Let’s be more specific, good would be what a 70% success rate? Pretty sure that lights Champions have been proven to win all the 450 supercross championships. Not sure why your even arguing this point.
observeroffacts
Fantasy
3725th
12/5/2018 1:51pm
-MAVERICK- wrote:

rdrurypi wrote:
-MAVERICK- wrote:
A 250SX title is a good indicator that they'll be successful once they move up to the 450 class? Let's take a look. Here's some 450SX...

20 years
28 250SX Champs

That’s a pretty wordy response, but it doesn’t change the simple response that I made. Still must not have read the conversation prior to your essay.

The Shop

Tarz483
Fantasy
665th
12/5/2018 1:52pm
Have yall seen the 450 lineup for 2019??
There is a whole Lotta top 5 Guys , A lot more than what is Gonna fit in the Top 5
Im thinking top 10's for mookie
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
12/5/2018 1:56pm
Tarz483 wrote:
Have yall seen the 450 lineup for 2019?? There is a whole Lotta top 5 Guys , A lot more than what is Gonna fit in...
There is a whole Lotta top 5 Guys , A lot more than what is Gonna fit in the Top 5
I expect him to be right where he was last year. Especially with all the new guys
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3739th
12/5/2018 2:04pm
isn't this like his 28th chance to compete. Same shit every year.
Exactly !!! He's never been in this situation with his preparation and having a full on ride. Talk shit after this season but right now we...
Exactly !!! He's never been in this situation with his preparation and having a full on ride. Talk shit after this season but right now we can't judge him based on anything because he's never came in prepared and fit.
I remember Wilson not having a ride and coming in fully prepared on a privateer Yamaha. Turned out well for him too.

What was Malcolm's excuse not to show up fit and ready to go over the last couple years? I seem to remember him saying he's skipping the outdoors to come into SX fully prepared. How did that turn out?

"He's never been in this situation with his preparation and having a full on ride."

Who's fault is that? Malcolm could've had a full on ride with MCR coming into 2018 but he didn't return MCR's calls.

Am I the only one that remembers that? Maybe I'm imagining things?

Ride or no ride, it's his job to train and be ready.

Don't deny it, you all know those are facts.
brocster
12/5/2018 2:18pm
Exactly !!! He's never been in this situation with his preparation and having a full on ride. Talk shit after this season but right now we...
Exactly !!! He's never been in this situation with his preparation and having a full on ride. Talk shit after this season but right now we can't judge him based on anything because he's never came in prepared and fit.
-MAVERICK- wrote:
I remember Wilson not having a ride and coming in fully prepared on a privateer Yamaha. Turned out well for him too. What was Malcolm's excuse...
I remember Wilson not having a ride and coming in fully prepared on a privateer Yamaha. Turned out well for him too.

What was Malcolm's excuse not to show up fit and ready to go over the last couple years? I seem to remember him saying he's skipping the outdoors to come into SX fully prepared. How did that turn out?

"He's never been in this situation with his preparation and having a full on ride."

Who's fault is that? Malcolm could've had a full on ride with MCR coming into 2018 but he didn't return MCR's calls.

Ok. He has what? Two years on 450’s. Can we get you to do a comparison against others 2 years in??? Since Malcolm hasn’t done much. Along those lines you are correct half the time he wasn’t even there.

Seems that your problem with Malcolm lies with the fact that he stayed on the couch until he was ready to take charge of his career.

I think his results will be much different this year.
12/5/2018 2:21pm
-MAVERICK- wrote:

20 years
28 250SX Champs

This is so interesting, thanks for putting that together!
It also seems like the best guys spent the least amount of time in the lites class.
RichieW13
Fantasy
2916th
12/5/2018 2:56pm
rdrurypi wrote:
Your logic is backwards. Yes, most 450 contenders are previous 250 champions.

But not all 250 champions become 450 contenders. Justin Bogle, Wil Hahn, Broc Tickle, Jake Weimer, Christophe Pourcel, etc.
rdrurypi
12/5/2018 3:13pm
rdrurypi wrote:
RichieW13 wrote:
Your logic is backwards. Yes, most 450 contenders are previous 250 champions. But not all 250 champions become 450 contenders. Justin Bogle, Wil Hahn, Broc Tickle...
Your logic is backwards. Yes, most 450 contenders are previous 250 champions.

But not all 250 champions become 450 contenders. Justin Bogle, Wil Hahn, Broc Tickle, Jake Weimer, Christophe Pourcel, etc.
Backwards logic? Do you not understand the meaning of “good indicator”? You named off a handful of really good riders that have made serious bank and have earned factory rides. Obviously not everyone can win a championship and some former lights champions don’t find the same success on 450’s. Go ahead and give me examples of riders who have not won a lights Champions that have gone onto a 450 SX title. I’ll wait for your answer. By the way, all of the riders you gave we’re all 450 contenders.
RichieW13
Fantasy
2916th
12/5/2018 3:28pm Edited Date/Time 12/5/2018 3:28pm
rdrurypi wrote:
Backwards logic? Do you not understand the meaning of “good indicator”? You named off a handful of really good riders that have made serious bank and...
Backwards logic? Do you not understand the meaning of “good indicator”? You named off a handful of really good riders that have made serious bank and have earned factory rides. Obviously not everyone can win a championship and some former lights champions don’t find the same success on 450’s. Go ahead and give me examples of riders who have not won a lights Champions that have gone onto a 450 SX title. I’ll wait for your answer. By the way, all of the riders you gave we’re all 450 contenders.
Yes, your logic is a bad way to determine a good indicator. Let me give you an example:

Almost every NFL player went to college. This does not mean that going to college is a good indicator that somebody will be an NFL player. It does not even mean that *playing college football* is a good indicator of being an NFL player.

The 5 riders I named represent 10 of the riders who won 250 SX championships between 2009 and 2014. Between them they have zero wins and 6 podiums in the 450 SX class.

Now, I guess you can dispute what "doing well" in the 450's means. But since Stewart has already proven himself to be a guy who can finish regularly in the 10-15 range, with the occasional top-10 finish, I assumed that the discussion of this thread was about whether or not Stewart could tape the next step forward and start being a guy makes it to the podium.

Based on recent history, winning a 250SX championship is a weak indicator of a rider becoming a 450 podium contender.

Sully
12/5/2018 3:32pm
Tarz483 wrote:
Have yall seen the 450 lineup for 2019?? There is a whole Lotta top 5 Guys , A lot more than what is Gonna fit in...
This is how I see it as well. But, I also think Hyler is correct that on the right night, on the right track, and with a good start, he could podium (I'm not quite ready to call him for a win just yet).
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3739th
12/5/2018 3:38pm
rdrurypi wrote:
-MAVERICK- wrote:

20 years
28 250SX Champs

rdrurypi wrote:
Off the top of my head, you missed McGrath. You still made my point. A “good indicator” would be exactly what your sweet little chart explains...
Off the top of my head, you missed McGrath. You still made my point. A “good indicator” would be exactly what your sweet little chart explains. Very few people with a 250 or lights regional title have had little success on a 450. Let’s be more specific, good would be what a 70% success rate? Pretty sure that lights Champions have been proven to win all the 450 supercross championships. Not sure why your even arguing this point.
I didn't miss McGrath. What I meant was riders that have won a 125/250SX title starting in 1999. McGrath's 125/250SX titles were in '91 & '92.

Not arguing the point. Just pointing out that a 250SX title doesn't guarantee success in the 450 class. And yes, in regards to the list I posted above every 250/450SX title over the past 20 years has been won by someone that has a 125/250SX title to their name.

If you want to be even more specific the 250/450SX title has been won by someone that has a 125/250SX title to their name for the last 21 years (starting in 1998 with McGrath). Before that was Emig in 1997 with no 125/250SX title to his name.

In fact the only guys to have won at least 1 250/450SX title without a 125/250SX title to their names are Jeff Ward (x2), Rick Johnson (x2), Jeff Stanton (x3), Jean-Michel Bayle (x1), and Jeff Emig (x1).
js451
12/5/2018 4:23pm
Malcolm gels well with the Honda and he is still improving each year. I think this is his best chance to do well in recent years and after watching him ride his off season I think he can podium
rdrurypi
12/5/2018 4:45pm
rdrurypi wrote:
Backwards logic? Do you not understand the meaning of “good indicator”? You named off a handful of really good riders that have made serious bank and...
RichieW13 wrote:
Yes, your logic is a bad way to determine a good indicator. Let me give you an example: Almost every NFL player went to college. This...
Yes, your logic is a bad way to determine a good indicator. Let me give you an example:

Almost every NFL player went to college. This does not mean that going to college is a good indicator that somebody will be an NFL player. It does not even mean that *playing college football* is a good indicator of being an NFL player.

The 5 riders I named represent 10 of the riders who won 250 SX championships between 2009 and 2014. Between them they have zero wins and 6 podiums in the 450 SX class.

Now, I guess you can dispute what "doing well" in the 450's means. But since Stewart has already proven himself to be a guy who can finish regularly in the 10-15 range, with the occasional top-10 finish, I assumed that the discussion of this thread was about whether or not Stewart could tape the next step forward and start being a guy makes it to the podium.

Based on recent history, winning a 250SX championship is a weak indicator of a rider becoming a 450 podium contender.

So who do you believe is a podium contender? Would you say a factory ride would make someone a podium contender? How about a B level team like MCR? Personally, I believe that any of the current top ten riders would be podium contenders. BTW, being a 250 SX Champion is not a weak indicator of a 450 podium guy. So if that’s your criteria, then 16,23 and 19 would be not be considered podium guys.
RichieW13
Fantasy
2916th
12/5/2018 4:58pm
rdrurypi wrote:
So who do you believe is a podium contender? Would you say a factory ride would make someone a podium contender? How about a B level...
So who do you believe is a podium contender? Would you say a factory ride would make someone a podium contender? How about a B level team like MCR? Personally, I believe that any of the current top ten riders would be podium contenders. BTW, being a 250 SX Champion is not a weak indicator of a 450 podium guy. So if that’s your criteria, then 16,23 and 19 would be not be considered podium guys.
Last year 7 different guys made the podium at least 2 times (Musquin, Tomac, Anderson, Baggett, Roczen, Barcia and Brayton). The year before it was 6 guys (Dungey, Tomac, Musquin, Anderson, Roczen and Seely). Based on that, it would seem there are about 6 or 7 guys capable of getting multiple podiums in a season. I think adding guys like Plessinger, Osborne, Savatgy and Hill to the mix might mean there is a little more diversity.

So, if I had to guess the 7 guys to make multiple podiums in 2018, I would go with: Tomac, Musquin, Roczen, Anderson, Barcia, Plessinger and Osborne.

A factory ride doesn't automatically make somebody a podium contender. It helps. But also, factories are generally only bringing in guys who have the ability to be a podium contender. A B level team like MCR will generally get the guys who are a notch lower in ability and/or potential.

For Stewart specifically, yeah he is in a better position this year than he has ever been heading into a 450SX season. He has a team (do we know if it's 100% sure yet?), and has been riding and training all fall. Previous years it didn't sound like he was getting physically ready heading into the season. He should be better off this year. But the field is also pretty deep. Last year he finished 11th in points. I think he's going to have a tough time finishing any higher in 2018.

" I believe that any of the current top ten riders would be podium contenders. "

Who are the top ten riders?
MotoMo165
12/5/2018 5:19pm
RichieW13 wrote:
Last year 7 different guys made the podium at least 2 times (Musquin, Tomac, Anderson, Baggett, Roczen, Barcia and Brayton). The year before it was 6...
Last year 7 different guys made the podium at least 2 times (Musquin, Tomac, Anderson, Baggett, Roczen, Barcia and Brayton). The year before it was 6 guys (Dungey, Tomac, Musquin, Anderson, Roczen and Seely). Based on that, it would seem there are about 6 or 7 guys capable of getting multiple podiums in a season. I think adding guys like Plessinger, Osborne, Savatgy and Hill to the mix might mean there is a little more diversity.

So, if I had to guess the 7 guys to make multiple podiums in 2018, I would go with: Tomac, Musquin, Roczen, Anderson, Barcia, Plessinger and Osborne.

A factory ride doesn't automatically make somebody a podium contender. It helps. But also, factories are generally only bringing in guys who have the ability to be a podium contender. A B level team like MCR will generally get the guys who are a notch lower in ability and/or potential.

For Stewart specifically, yeah he is in a better position this year than he has ever been heading into a 450SX season. He has a team (do we know if it's 100% sure yet?), and has been riding and training all fall. Previous years it didn't sound like he was getting physically ready heading into the season. He should be better off this year. But the field is also pretty deep. Last year he finished 11th in points. I think he's going to have a tough time finishing any higher in 2018.

" I believe that any of the current top ten riders would be podium contenders. "

Who are the top ten riders?
Bro if you listened to pulpmx you’d know he’s shredded and supposedly been training a ton. Friese (who prides himself on fitness, says Malcom is out pacing him during longer motos) and recent pics of Malcom he looks slimmer and shredded
mb60
12/5/2018 5:33pm
All this hate for a dude getting paid to ride sx and having a blast doing it. Smh
426Hemi
Fantasy
2757th
12/5/2018 5:40pm
426Hemi wrote:
Is he on a 450 this year?
GuyB wrote:
No, you get six or more. He's been on a 450 for the last couple years.
He hardly ever races anymore, how the fuck am I supposed to remember.
zehn
12/5/2018 6:25pm
mb60 wrote:
All this hate for a dude getting paid to ride sx and having a blast doing it. Smh
Classic Vital
jemcee
12/5/2018 6:36pm
I'll be surprised if he gets a podium.. pleasantly but still surprised
Just my opinion zero disrespect meant no hate involved.. Also no I don't want to bet on it
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3739th
12/5/2018 6:44pm
-MAVERICK- wrote:
I remember Wilson not having a ride and coming in fully prepared on a privateer Yamaha. Turned out well for him too. What was Malcolm's excuse...

brocster wrote:
Ok. He has what? Two years on 450’s. Can we get you to do a comparison against others 2 years in??? Since Malcolm hasn’t done much...
Ok. He has what? Two years on 450’s. Can we get you to do a comparison against others 2 years in??? Since Malcolm hasn’t done much. Along those lines you are correct half the time he wasn’t even there.

Seems that your problem with Malcolm lies with the fact that he stayed on the couch until he was ready to take charge of his career.

4 years on the 450. 2 outdoors and 2 SX seasons and all with pretty poor results. Plenty of time to ride and hone his SX skills during the summer months but nope, that time is for fishing and chasing tail.

I did the following list not because you asked but because I was genuinely interested in the topic. There's some interesting stats.

250/450SX Stats 2 Years In

Malcolm Stewart
2017: 15 races, no podiums, best finish - 9th
2018: 16 races, no podiums, best finish - 6th

Marvin Musquin
2016: 16 races, 5 podiums
2017: 17 races, 9 podiums, 2 wins

Cooper Webb
2017: 12 races, 1 podium
2018: 13 races, 1 podium

Justin Bogle
2016: 14 races, no podiums, best finish - 4th
2017: 12 races, no podiums, best finish - 9th

Jason Anderson
2015: 16 races, 2 podiums
2016: 17 races, 7 podiums, 2 wins

Wil Hahn
2014: 11 races, no podiums, best finish - 4th
2016: 7 races, no podiums, best finish - 10th
*Injured in 2015 before the season started.

Ken Roczen
2014: 17 races, 8 podiums, 2 wins
2015: 9 races, 5 podiums, 2 wins

Eli Tomac
2014: 9 races, 2 podiums
2015: 17 races, 11 podiums, 3 wins

Justin Barcia
2013: 17 races, 5 podiums, 2 wins
2014: 14 races, 4 podiums

Broc Tickle
2012: 16 races, no podiums, best finish - 6th
2013: 17 races, no podiums, best finish - 7th

Jake Weimer
2012: 16 races, 5 podiums
2013: 14 races, no podiums, best finish - 4th
*In 2011 he came back from injury and only did the final 2 races with his best finish being a 6th.

Christophe Pourcel
2016: 11 races, no podiums, best finish - 7th
2017: 2 races, no podiums, best finish - 14th
*Retired from SX

Ryan Dungey
2010: 17 races, 11 podiums, 6 wins
2011: 17 races, 13 podiums, 1 win

Trey Canard
2011: 14 races, 5 podiums, 3 wins
2012: 2 races, no podiums, best finish - 7th
2013: 16 races, 3 podiums

Jason Lawrence
2009: 4 races, 1 podium
2010: 8 races, no podiums, best finish - 8th
*2009 did 2 250 rounds before switching to the 450. His only 2 seasons on a 450.

Ryan Villopoto
2009: 13 races, 5 podiums, 2 wins
2010: 14 races, 8 podiums, 7 wins

Davi Millsaps
2007: 9 races, 1 podium
2008: 17 races, 8 podiums, 2 wins

Grant Langston
2004: 10 races, no podiums, best finish - 5th
2007: 7 races, no podiums, best finish - 4th
*Raced the 125/250 class in '05 and '06 and won the title each year.

Ivan Tedesco
2006: 16 races, 2 podiums
2007: 16 races, no podiums, best finish - 4th

James Stewart
2006: 16 races, 13 podiums, 8 wins
2007: 16 races, 15 podiums, 13 wins

Chad Reed
2003: 16 races, 14 podiums, 8 wins
2004: 16 races, 16 podiums, 10 wins
*Interesting fact for 2004: Worse finish - 3rd, Once

Travis Preston
2005: 12 races, no podiums, best finish - 6th
2006: 16 races, no podiums, best finish - 4th

Travis Pastrana
2002: 9 races, 3 podiums
2003: 2 races, no podiums, best finish - 12th
For the fun of it, the rest of Pastrana's 250/450 career
2004: 3 races, no podiums, best finish - 10th
2005: 3 races, no podiums, best finish - 10th

Stephane Roncada
2001: 13 races, no podiums, best finish - 4th
2002: 16 races, 3 podiums

Ernesto Fonseca
2002: 14 races, 3 podiums
2003: 16 races, 6 podiums

Nathan Ramsey
2002: 15 races, 2 podiums, 1 win
2007: 7 races, no podiums, best finish - 5th
*Seasons in between he either raced the 125 class or a combination of the 125 and 250 class a side from 2003 where he was out the entire year.
bama205
12/5/2018 8:35pm
If he can top 5 then Chad can win.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1342nd
12/5/2018 9:49pm
brocster wrote:
Ok. He has what? Two years on 450’s. Can we get you to do a comparison against others 2 years in??? Since Malcolm hasn’t done much...

I think his results will be more of the same.
12/6/2018 1:54am
isn't this like his 28th chance to compete. Same shit every year.
-MAVERICK- wrote:

To be fair to Mookie, he has never had a team ride in 450s... or even had his program ready by Anaheim 1. It’s not like he’s been on factory programs getting paid with no results.
Helda
12/6/2018 2:47am
-MAVERICK- wrote:

rdrurypi wrote:
-MAVERICK- wrote:

20 years
28 250SX Champs

Ok I'm not one way or the other but I'd like to see how many 450/250 champions didnt win a lites title?
rdrurypi
12/6/2018 3:28am
rdrurypi wrote:
-MAVERICK- wrote:

20 years
28 250SX Champs

Helda wrote:
Ok I'm not one way or the other but I'd like to see how many 450/250 champions didnt win a lites title?
Zero.
rdrurypi
12/6/2018 3:47am
-MAVERICK- wrote:

brocster wrote:

-MAVERICK- wrote:
4 years on the 450. 2 outdoors and 2 SX seasons and all with pretty poor results. Plenty of time to ride and hone his SX...
4 years on the 450. 2 outdoors and 2 SX seasons and all with pretty poor results. Plenty of time to ride and hone his SX skills during the summer months but nope, that time is for fishing and chasing tail.

I did the following list not because you asked but because I was genuinely interested in the topic. There's some interesting stats.

250/450SX Stats 2 Years In

Malcolm Stewart
2017: 15 races, no podiums, best finish - 9th
2018: 16 races, no podiums, best finish - 6th

Marvin Musquin
2016: 16 races, 5 podiums
2017: 17 races, 9 podiums, 2 wins

Cooper Webb
2017: 12 races, 1 podium
2018: 13 races, 1 podium

Justin Bogle
2016: 14 races, no podiums, best finish - 4th
2017: 12 races, no podiums, best finish - 9th

Jason Anderson
2015: 16 races, 2 podiums
2016: 17 races, 7 podiums, 2 wins

Wil Hahn
2014: 11 races, no podiums, best finish - 4th
2016: 7 races, no podiums, best finish - 10th
*Injured in 2015 before the season started.

Ken Roczen
2014: 17 races, 8 podiums, 2 wins
2015: 9 races, 5 podiums, 2 wins

Eli Tomac
2014: 9 races, 2 podiums
2015: 17 races, 11 podiums, 3 wins

Justin Barcia
2013: 17 races, 5 podiums, 2 wins
2014: 14 races, 4 podiums

Broc Tickle
2012: 16 races, no podiums, best finish - 6th
2013: 17 races, no podiums, best finish - 7th

Jake Weimer
2012: 16 races, 5 podiums
2013: 14 races, no podiums, best finish - 4th
*In 2011 he came back from injury and only did the final 2 races with his best finish being a 6th.

Christophe Pourcel
2016: 11 races, no podiums, best finish - 7th
2017: 2 races, no podiums, best finish - 14th
*Retired from SX

Ryan Dungey
2010: 17 races, 11 podiums, 6 wins
2011: 17 races, 13 podiums, 1 win

Trey Canard
2011: 14 races, 5 podiums, 3 wins
2012: 2 races, no podiums, best finish - 7th
2013: 16 races, 3 podiums

Jason Lawrence
2009: 4 races, 1 podium
2010: 8 races, no podiums, best finish - 8th
*2009 did 2 250 rounds before switching to the 450. His only 2 seasons on a 450.

Ryan Villopoto
2009: 13 races, 5 podiums, 2 wins
2010: 14 races, 8 podiums, 7 wins

Davi Millsaps
2007: 9 races, 1 podium
2008: 17 races, 8 podiums, 2 wins

Grant Langston
2004: 10 races, no podiums, best finish - 5th
2007: 7 races, no podiums, best finish - 4th
*Raced the 125/250 class in '05 and '06 and won the title each year.

Ivan Tedesco
2006: 16 races, 2 podiums
2007: 16 races, no podiums, best finish - 4th

James Stewart
2006: 16 races, 13 podiums, 8 wins
2007: 16 races, 15 podiums, 13 wins

Chad Reed
2003: 16 races, 14 podiums, 8 wins
2004: 16 races, 16 podiums, 10 wins
*Interesting fact for 2004: Worse finish - 3rd, Once

Travis Preston
2005: 12 races, no podiums, best finish - 6th
2006: 16 races, no podiums, best finish - 4th

Travis Pastrana
2002: 9 races, 3 podiums
2003: 2 races, no podiums, best finish - 12th
For the fun of it, the rest of Pastrana's 250/450 career
2004: 3 races, no podiums, best finish - 10th
2005: 3 races, no podiums, best finish - 10th

Stephane Roncada
2001: 13 races, no podiums, best finish - 4th
2002: 16 races, 3 podiums

Ernesto Fonseca
2002: 14 races, 3 podiums
2003: 16 races, 6 podiums

Nathan Ramsey
2002: 15 races, 2 podiums, 1 win
2007: 7 races, no podiums, best finish - 5th
*Seasons in between he either raced the 125 class or a combination of the 125 and 250 class a side from 2003 where he was out the entire year.
Thanks for the information, I appreciate the time you put into something that would only interest true moto fans. I will state my point this last time, doing your own calculations of the 26 riders listed then 27% of former 250 regional champions did not podium in the first 2 years of thier career. That would be 73% of them podium finished and I believe that this is in the range of “good indicator “. Your range may be different, but my point is most 250 supercross champions will be 450 contenders. Now Malcom certainly has not helped himself over the past two years and if he did the same thing as in previous years, he would absolutely be pissing away his career. It looks like he put himself in a good situation to succeed and I hope he kills it.
kaptkaos
12/6/2018 5:10am Edited Date/Time 12/6/2018 5:10am
Weve beat this one around before, he was never in shape because he never went into a 450 off season with a contract so he didnt have any income to pay for a trainer/fitness program testing, practice bike and mechanic, etc. Its the same thing many others have said in the same situation. While they can train, ride and practice, its not at a level that they can compete with the top guys who have the best of everything lined up. It takes a shit ton of fitness to even ride around a pro track in 20th place for 20 laps or 30+2. The fact he did it and was top 10 shows he has better fitness and talent than the true privateers (broke ones) but that his program was not on par with the top guys.

Now you are going to say he should pay out of his pocket, or his rich brother should pay for all of it. He said clearly he wasnt going to work for free, and I support him and rider who takes that stance. He doesnt need to pay to race nor should he.

I am a big Mookie fan, and I hope this is his breakout year. I am rooting for good things.

Post a reply to: Main Event Mookie?

The Latest