Maggiora Park Today

-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3682nd
8/27/2018 2:31pm Edited Date/Time 8/31/2018 2:45am
The MXdN took place at that venue in 2016. Here's what it looks like now. What a shame.

|
GrapeApe
Fantasy
806th
8/27/2018 2:34pm
I recognize the corner where Cooper Webb fell over
crusher773
8/27/2018 2:35pm
It blows my mind that tracks like this just quit running. Did they get shut down or did owners just want to get out of it?
RG1
8/27/2018 2:37pm
crusher773 wrote:
It blows my mind that tracks like this just quit running. Did they get shut down or did owners just want to get out of it?
They chopped down a load of trees around the circuit to extend the track for the MXdN and make more room for spectators. Environmentalists complained and that was all she wrote. That's the story I heard anyway
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3682nd
8/27/2018 2:38pm
crusher773 wrote:
No idea but apparently the restaurant is still open but only on Sunday's.

The Shop

tkimb
8/27/2018 4:10pm
Are they the ones that got in the trouble over permits for extending areas?
MXMattii
8/27/2018 4:22pm Edited Date/Time 8/27/2018 4:24pm
crusher773 wrote:
RG1 wrote:
They chopped down a load of trees around the circuit to extend the track for the MXdN and make more room for spectators. Environmentalists complained and...
They chopped down a load of trees around the circuit to extend the track for the MXdN and make more room for spectators. Environmentalists complained and that was all she wrote. That's the story I heard anyway
What I've been told in the paddock by someone who should know.

They used bribery techniques to get some permits. Permits to lengthening the track for example and to cut the trees, but also they got a raid from the tax inspection on the day of the MXON if I'm not mistaken and they found some things that weren't OK.

So to re-build the track in 2011 so they could re-open the track in 2013 they did what is pretty common in Italy. They 'lobbied' the Italian way and payed people who could help them. Normally that kind of corruption stays under the radar, but when environmentalists are on your ass and also some angry Belgian who's also a former Youthstream employee it all can blow up pretty fast.

So now they have tax disputes and all their permits are recalled. Dunno if they are fighting this and trying to pay the taxes with their old firm or and if they are trying to get new permits under a new company name. Question why the restaurant is still open? That is because that was in an other company, who's not involved in this mess.

This article talks also about things like that: https://www.insella.it/news/motocross-la-pista-di-maggiora-sequestrata-… (Italians who can translate the piece about the local government closing their eyes for some violates, that other people of the government misused their power and ...) otherwise Google translate.
8/28/2018 4:44am
MXMattii wrote:
[b]What I've been told in the paddock by someone who should know.[/b] They used bribery techniques to get some permits. Permits to lengthening the track for...

They used bribery techniques to get some permits. Permits to lengthening the track for example and to cut the trees, but also they got a raid from the tax inspection on the day of the MXON if I'm not mistaken and they found some things that weren't OK.

So to re-build the track in 2011 so they could re-open the track in 2013 they did what is pretty common in Italy. They 'lobbied' the Italian way and payed people who could help them. Normally that kind of corruption stays under the radar, but when environmentalists are on your ass and also some angry Belgian who's also a former Youthstream employee it all can blow up pretty fast.

So now they have tax disputes and all their permits are recalled. Dunno if they are fighting this and trying to pay the taxes with their old firm or and if they are trying to get new permits under a new company name. Question why the restaurant is still open? That is because that was in an other company, who's not involved in this mess.

This article talks also about things like that: https://www.insella.it/news/motocross-la-pista-di-maggiora-sequestrata-… (Italians who can translate the piece about the local government closing their eyes for some violates, that other people of the government misused their power and ...) otherwise Google translate.
Which Belgian former Youthstream employee are you referring to, HB?
Donovan759
8/28/2018 5:12am
Wow. What a shame. This track was one of my favorite GP tracks. Any chance they will ever run it again?
Marcello10
8/28/2018 6:44am Edited Date/Time 8/28/2018 7:16am
crusher773 wrote:
RG1 wrote:
They chopped down a load of trees around the circuit to extend the track for the MXdN and make more room for spectators. Environmentalists complained and...
MXMattii wrote:
[b]What I've been told in the paddock by someone who should know.[/b] They used bribery techniques to get some permits. Permits to lengthening the track for...

“They lobbied the Italian way” What should be the Italian way? Check your facts before posting stuff like this and don’t use cliches for things you personally don’t know anything about

After the MXoN the owners of Maggiora Park were asked of the new mandatory environmental permit called VIA that wasn’t mandatory at the time when their project was approved in 2011 (with the full consent and permissions from the city of Maggiora). They never asked them the inclusion of the VIA during the five years prior of the motocross of nations or before the project was approved even though they held races for years after the opening. Without it, because of the new rules, the track got seized with all the future events cancelled.

What they’re trying to do, moving the GP to Ottobiano in the meantime (they’re the same owners), is presenting a new version of the first project which includes the VIA so they can have the permission to reopen the track and its activities with all of the buildings from 2016.

In the next eight months we should know more about the new permit request that has been asked, hopefully they’ll be able to host many more gps in the future, the history of the track deserves it
WCRider
Fantasy
2234th
8/28/2018 6:52am
Europe is a shame for MX ... Bunch of great tracks have been closed. Thank you Luongo, thank you ecolo, thank you old politicians.
mx_563
8/28/2018 7:09am
Marcello10 wrote:
“They lobbied the Italian way” What should be the Italian way? Check your facts before posting stuff like this and don’t use cliches for things you...
“They lobbied the Italian way” What should be the Italian way? Check your facts before posting stuff like this and don’t use cliches for things you personally don’t know anything about

After the MXoN the owners of Maggiora Park were asked of the new mandatory environmental permit called VIA that wasn’t mandatory at the time when their project was approved in 2011 (with the full consent and permissions from the city of Maggiora). They never asked them the inclusion of the VIA during the five years prior of the motocross of nations or before the project was approved even though they held races for years after the opening. Without it, because of the new rules, the track got seized with all the future events cancelled.

What they’re trying to do, moving the GP to Ottobiano in the meantime (they’re the same owners), is presenting a new version of the first project which includes the VIA so they can have the permission to reopen the track and its activities with all of the buildings from 2016.

In the next eight months we should know more about the new permit request that has been asked, hopefully they’ll be able to host many more gps in the future, the history of the track deserves it
Are you saying the article posted on insella.it is inaccurate?

secondo l’accusa, sarebbe stato realizzato anche attraverso lavori abusivi

I reati contestati comprendono abuso d’ufficio, abuso edilizio, falso e danneggiamento ambientale.

I don't pretend to know the truth but the article is definitely suggesting that there was some form of wrong-doing involved....so I don't know who to believe.

MXMattii
8/28/2018 7:54am
I guess we're talking about the same HB. Old guy, thinks he's important but isn't, was kind of the butler of the Important people in the food section. But you can't say much about him because if you can move the Italian Tax department to raid the MXdN in Italy, then you ask yourself what else is that snake capable too...

@Marcello10 you can be angry, but I'm with mx_563 on this one, and I didn't have only a newspaper as source. Also just think about this: when your local government gives you permits to host races for 4 years (2013-2016), without asking once if your VIA is in order, without checking your full dossier file, then I feel in my little pinky and in my bladder that things were done the "Italian way". What is confirmed by news articles and other sources.

But I hope that the track can re-open as fast as possible it's a beautiful facility.
Mr. Info
8/28/2018 9:17am
Their problems started right after the De Nations. They cut trees down in what was called a Green Zone without asking anybody. They had traffic nightmares with people parking as far as 5 miles away and walking in.
Yes the 2 sons of different wealthy families put so much money out to have the race and being one who attended it was amazed at the size of the crowd and all the hard work they did and all the cost involved. The buildings in the area of the pits itself were huge. They did it first class for such a small track and surrounding areas but they got caught cutting corners and from what I have heard have been banned from promoting races there. But I am overseas and don't know everything they might still be dealing with.
But even though we lost it was a bucket list trip for me.
omalley
8/28/2018 9:55am
Environmentalists suck.
Marcello10
8/28/2018 10:17am Edited Date/Time 8/28/2018 10:22am
MXMattii wrote:
I guess we're talking about the same HB. Old guy, thinks he's important but isn't, was kind of the butler of the Important people in the...
I guess we're talking about the same HB. Old guy, thinks he's important but isn't, was kind of the butler of the Important people in the food section. But you can't say much about him because if you can move the Italian Tax department to raid the MXdN in Italy, then you ask yourself what else is that snake capable too...

@Marcello10 you can be angry, but I'm with mx_563 on this one, and I didn't have only a newspaper as source. Also just think about this: when your local government gives you permits to host races for 4 years (2013-2016), without asking once if your VIA is in order, without checking your full dossier file, then I feel in my little pinky and in my bladder that things were done the "Italian way". What is confirmed by news articles and other sources.

But I hope that the track can re-open as fast as possible it's a beautiful facility.
You evidently didn’t get it, the VIA wasn’t asked before because it wasn’t mandatory for the back then competent authority (the municipality of the city of Maggiora). It became mandatory only after and that was decided by the new competent authority (the prosecutor’s office). Only the fact that you talk about “the government” shows that you know nothing about it.

“The Italian way” is just in your head, you should pay more attention to your own stuff. It seems like the absolute clueless attitude coming out of Bruxells is spread all over Belgium, is it “the Belgian way”?

Never, ever worked in a construction company in Italy dealing with the Italian law but still talks from Belgium like he knows the industry from the inside without any personal experience, very impressive
MXMattii
8/28/2018 2:13pm
Marcello10 wrote:
You evidently didn’t get it, the VIA wasn’t asked before because it wasn’t mandatory for the back then competent authority (the municipality of the city of...
You evidently didn’t get it, the VIA wasn’t asked before because it wasn’t mandatory for the back then competent authority (the municipality of the city of Maggiora). It became mandatory only after and that was decided by the new competent authority (the prosecutor’s office). Only the fact that you talk about “the government” shows that you know nothing about it.

“The Italian way” is just in your head, you should pay more attention to your own stuff. It seems like the absolute clueless attitude coming out of Bruxells is spread all over Belgium, is it “the Belgian way”?

Never, ever worked in a construction company in Italy dealing with the Italian law but still talks from Belgium like he knows the industry from the inside without any personal experience, very impressive
"Never, ever worked in a construction company in Italy" indeed but I saw one of your Italian constructions, it was all over the news very recently. Why are you so mad at me when Mr.Info and others say the same stuff. Cutting corners, "making friends" so they would look the other way.

Or do you think that the local government people from the city didn't knew that they were putting trees down to make the track longer?

The Italian way is just in my head...

This is also a very interesting article about Italy. About the "Italian way" how it gives big maffia companies work, to build a new stadium or a new bridge for example and after payment the company goes away and only a part of the work is done. And all this can start again, like the Italian way.

When you have money and make friends with that money you can go a long way. But its all in my head, watched to much godfather.
8/31/2018 1:11am
Such a shame. I went there in 2016 for the MXdN, absolutely no track like it.
I hope they get it sorted & it’s on the calendar again one day, we need more tracks like this.
mxmasta
Fantasy
651st
8/31/2018 2:36am
I took these pictures a couple of days ago, because I am here in Italy on a family vacation. I guess Maverick found them on my Instagram ;-)

I was at the MXoN 2016 and really wanted to see the track with my own eyes again this year, because I knew it wasn‘t open since 2016. It‘s quite a difference walking around the track today, after knowing what it looked like at the races. At least the restaurant on top of the track is still open, on sundays only.
Fearo
8/31/2018 2:43am
Probably the most beautiful track in the world. Other than high quality dirt, this track literally has everything.
JMX82
8/31/2018 2:44am
I was there too at the 2016 MXoN. The place is unreal and i'm really sad to see it go. Most iconic motocross tracks in the world for sure

Post a reply to: Maggiora Park Today

The Latest