Made in China...

FiendzCC
9/10/2019 1:32pm Edited Date/Time 9/15/2019 7:32am
What are some of the worst experiences you've had with purchasing parts for your bike that you either knew beforehand or found out after were made in China?

I feel like most of us have been there when it comes to buying parts that we assumed were decent quality because we see them advertising on reputable websites, banners at the track and sponsoring race teams etc. "How bad could it be?", right? Not asking anyone to name names or blow out any companies, just would like to know what parts of your bike you won't go cheap on ever again. Things like bottom end kits, pistons, clutch plates come to mind.
|
9/10/2019 1:34pm
A couple bearing companies come to mind. One starts with an A and one a P.
500guy
9/10/2019 1:50pm
Any more it's not just Made in China as the problem, some stuff made there is good if purchaser can manage to oversee production and verify corners have not been cut.

Then there's the Made like horse shit in China , that one is the problem, and it's a double edged sword because if enough money gets made it's almost justifiable to seller.
slipdog
9/10/2019 2:02pm
I don't buy China. Problem solved...
Doddy
9/10/2019 2:04pm
I completely understand that not everything comes from China is complete junk, but I still avoid it as much as possible. I do not support companies that make stuff in China if i can help it. A big part of it is it's deception. See my example;

I was superpumped, but not pumped or anything to find out my Hallman Jerseys I just got with American flags stitched on and logos that say "Original Raceware San Diego", were made in China. I can stand false advertising or the "assembled in America" garbage. Because it is usually just that, cheap garbage.

With that said, I love my OGIO bag. Made in China and great quality.

The Shop

kpiper
9/10/2019 2:22pm
slipdog wrote:
Good for you!

The problem with buying from China is not if it is junk or not. The problem is giving your money to them to build their military that will one day be used against us.

Buy from Japan, Austria, Italy, Spain, India, etc. Those countries will never threaten us.
SrfNdirt
9/10/2019 2:26pm
Be careful what you say here, this thread could get clipped.
9/10/2019 3:24pm
Lol, this will not last long.

I bought a Chinese quad for my girls 10 years ago and it's still running like a champ. Other than tightening a few bolts and some rust on the exterior parts, no troubles. I've never tried Chinese parts for my dirt bike, but for the cost, I'd be willing to give it a shot. Depending on the part, of course lol.
BRX-WRX
9/10/2019 5:31pm
2011 KTM 250xcf and 2015 350sx that I am working on have made in China fuel pumps. Both bad.
9/10/2019 5:42pm
Guess what people.. believe it or not Chinese bikes are really good for our sport.
People can buy a very affordable entry level bike and once they fall in love with riding will buy a higher quality bike.
Sure the bikes may not be great, but for some guy that’s a beginner and going to ride it around on a paddock or something they are fine..
CASH476
9/10/2019 6:17pm
slipdog wrote:
No China for me either, I only buy good old porcelain.
Bruce372
9/10/2019 6:19pm
Torq1 footpegs. They actually cracked on a trail ride. Glad I never had them on a Mx bike. Fit like shit also
9/10/2019 6:27pm
Levers from China. Worked fine until I got roosted at Baja Acres.
FiendzCC
9/10/2019 7:20pm
Doddy wrote:
I completely understand that not everything comes from China is complete junk, but I still avoid it as much as possible. I do not support companies...
I completely understand that not everything comes from China is complete junk, but I still avoid it as much as possible. I do not support companies that make stuff in China if i can help it. A big part of it is it's deception. See my example;

I was superpumped, but not pumped or anything to find out my Hallman Jerseys I just got with American flags stitched on and logos that say "Original Raceware San Diego", were made in China. I can stand false advertising or the "assembled in America" garbage. Because it is usually just that, cheap garbage.

With that said, I love my OGIO bag. Made in China and great quality.
Isn't that frustrating? I can think of a few companies that actually use American flags in their logos, only to find out ALL of their products are imported from China. Lately, I've noticed the trend is to state multiple times that you're an "American Company" on your website, without stating where the products being sold are actually being manufactured. This practice adds ZERO value to the industry.

Funny you bring up riding gear though, I'm actually in the market for some gear, and as much as I want to stick with well known brands we all know and love and have so for years, I've seen there are actually a handful of guys making an effort to keep things made here these days. I don't know, am I an asshole for leaning towards going with the little guys? I support companies making quality products domestically which in turn support their fellow countrymen, economy etc. I think companies that are willing to make that commitment should be/need to be supported.

And yeah, Ogio bags are pretty damn solid!
Kawi15
9/10/2019 7:22pm
slipdog wrote:
kpiper wrote:
Good for you! The problem with buying from China is not if it is junk or not. The problem is giving your money to them to...
Good for you!

The problem with buying from China is not if it is junk or not. The problem is giving your money to them to build their military that will one day be used against us.

Buy from Japan, Austria, Italy, Spain, India, etc. Those countries will never threaten us.
I agree with this. I do not buy China garbage if I can help it. I would rather pay double then buy from them.
FiendzCC
9/10/2019 7:24pm
Levers from China. Worked fine until I got roosted at Baja Acres.
You talking front brake and clutch levers?
FiendzCC
9/10/2019 7:25pm
Guess what people.. believe it or not Chinese bikes are really good for our sport. People can buy a very affordable entry level bike and once...
Guess what people.. believe it or not Chinese bikes are really good for our sport.
People can buy a very affordable entry level bike and once they fall in love with riding will buy a higher quality bike.
Sure the bikes may not be great, but for some guy that’s a beginner and going to ride it around on a paddock or something they are fine..
No, no they're not.
neysbo
9/10/2019 7:32pm
I am starting to think Kawasaki’s are half made in China.
Bruce372
9/10/2019 8:53pm
Everyone check where their phone is made to post in this thread
JM485
9/10/2019 9:04pm
Bruce372 wrote:
Wait until people realize Honda trail bikes are now made in ChinaLaughing
Bruce372
9/10/2019 9:14pm
You should check what internet forum you are posting on before you start worrying about the discussion getting derailed after 10 posts.Wink
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
760th
9/10/2019 9:32pm
Bruce372 wrote:
JM485 wrote:
Wait until people realize Honda trail bikes are now made in ChinaLaughing
Amazing how many people try to argue that. If I remember correctly, even the 250 and 450x’s are as well. Or at least, they were.
AngryBear
9/10/2019 9:40pm
kpiper wrote:
Good for you! The problem with buying from China is not if it is junk or not. The problem is giving your money to them to...
Good for you!

40% of those were in a world war against us a little over 50yrs ago.
struth
9/10/2019 11:01pm
China is investing heavly in gaining technology...
I'd start with American company's to stop giving their technology to China.
KennyT
Fantasy
479th
9/10/2019 11:10pm
Bruce372 wrote:
My piece of shit phone that needs replaced every 12 months
.kyle
9/11/2019 12:48am
Bruce372 wrote:
There is some stuff you can't get away from, unfortunately. It's not like there is much of a choice when it comes to technology.

I'm a fan of avoiding china and chinesium alloys as much as possible.
9/11/2019 2:02am
Guess what people.. believe it or not Chinese bikes are really good for our sport. People can buy a very affordable entry level bike and once...
FiendzCC wrote:
No, no they're not.
Not sure why someone would start a thread, asking questions, only to try and contradict the responses.
Dropbear
9/11/2019 2:08am
FiendzCC wrote:
No, no they're not.
Not sure why someone would start a thread, asking questions, only to try and contradict the responses.
MX Twitter
Zacka 161
Fantasy
1856th
9/11/2019 2:13am
Bruce372 wrote:
.kyle wrote:
There is some stuff you can't get away from, unfortunately. It's not like there is much of a choice when it comes to technology. I'm a...
There is some stuff you can't get away from, unfortunately. It's not like there is much of a choice when it comes to technology.

I'm a fan of avoiding china and chinesium alloys as much as possible.
America needs to focus on itself and not in China.

Alta should not have folded. If it was in almost any other country the government would work with them, but in America if it fails then you’re a failure and goodbye. Finally an innovative and quality American motorcycle that had the potential to put America on the map for motorcycle manufacturing and innovation is gone.... Alta probably could have continued to exist if they weren’t so set on manufacturing in America.... that’s the dichotomy. If Alta went offshore they probably would have survived....

But that would mean the government investing in innovation and infrastructure and being a world leader.. but when it’s China V Europe for your money it’s a lose lose for America....
9/11/2019 2:15am
FiendzCC wrote:
No, no they're not.
Dropbear wrote:
MX Twitter
Clearly another jerkoff political thread

Post a reply to: Made in China...

The Latest