MXofN at Daytona?

Related:
Create New Tag

2/16/2019 8:23 AM

With this years event being at Assen, I don’t think it is totally crazy to have it at Daytona as well. The track would need to be more motocross than a supercross track, maybe take it up on the banks to add a couple of hills. It is right next to the airport and there is plenty of hotels close to the track. I know the purist will hate it but was wanting to see what everyone else thought of it.

|

2/16/2019 8:29 AM

so crazy it might just work

|

2/16/2019 8:34 AM

logistically it makes sense, the Daytona SX can be brutal, they could make it more MX and less SX

Being able to handle the crowd would be a non issue.

|

2/16/2019 8:44 AM

I just don’t want to watch coldenoff, Prado and herlings destroy us at Daytona.

|

GP740
Since 1987

2/16/2019 8:54 AM

They barely have enough room to build the SX track. Lots of restrictions and regulations that go with it. I don’t think it’s feasible, but would love to see it.

|

2/16/2019 9:02 AM

The sx track is usually around 1:10, there is some GP tracks that are as low as 1:30. Not sure how that could add 20 seconds. 30 minutes plus 2 laps the track would get beat to hell. But logistically there is everything there to hold an event this magnitude. Plus Daytona has had a major role in US motocross since the early 70s and adds that sentimental feel.

|

2/16/2019 9:05 AM

Worth looking into.

|

2/16/2019 9:06 AM

SWOHIO GUY wrote:

The sx track is usually around 1:10, there is some GP tracks that are as low as 1:30. Not sure how that could add 20 seconds. 30 minutes plus 2 laps the track would get beat to hell. But logistically there is everything there to hold an event this magnitude. Plus Daytona has had a major role in US motocross since the early 70s and adds that sentimental feel.

Everything except enough space for a motocross track.

I like your thinking but i just think space is the issue, unless they would use more of pit lane or use the track.

|

2/16/2019 9:10 AM

It would be a shame to have a race there with all the real MX tracks here in the USA,But it would be a great venue in all other aspects. Do an old Gary Bailey style track,they were very MX like and long enough to have long lap times.

|

2/16/2019 9:14 AM

neverwas wrote:

It would be a shame to have a race there with all the real MX tracks here in the USA,But it would be a great venue in all other aspects. Do an old Gary Bailey style track,they were very MX like and long enough to have long lap times.

I agree that there is plenty of great tracks in the US to hold the event. I just think the FIM is going more and more towards places with fan friendly infrastructure. I went to red bud and although I had fun, there was many things there that I think the average fan probably was miserable. At Daytona you would practically eliminate that issue.

|

2/16/2019 9:18 AM

What about at talladega?

|

2/16/2019 9:34 AM

The next MXdN in the states should be at Southwick, Millville or Unidilla, take your pick.

|

2/16/2019 9:59 AM

Daytona has not even been a good supercross since RC started designing the tracks more less a good spectator experience ever. Horrible venue for MXoN.

|

2/16/2019 10:06 AM

SWOHIO GUY wrote:

I agree that there is plenty of great tracks in the US to hold the event. I just think the FIM is going more and more towards places with fan friendly infrastructure. I went to red bud and although I had fun, there was many things there that I think the average fan probably was miserable. At Daytona you would practically eliminate that issue.

I have only been to Daytona once and have to say watching through the nets was really a buzzkill for me. I paid the extra $15 to be able to sit on the track and it was fun.

If they could somehow bring in more stands and drop the nets... awesome.

On TV... I would love it but I wouldn't make an attempt to attend in person.

|

2/16/2019 10:07 AM

Frank wrote:

Daytona has not even been a good supercross since RC started designing the tracks more less a good spectator experience ever. Horrible venue for MXoN.

Last year was good

|

Alright Lunger, Let's Do It

2/16/2019 10:07 AM

|

Alright Lunger, Let's Do It

2/16/2019 10:10 AM

Watkins Glen International would actually be a good choice. Plenty of room to build a real track on dirt with elevation changes. Hotels, airports and lots of tourist things as well. More than enough room for hundreds of thousands of people. Weather is usually ok that time of year. They are getting ready to host the new "Woodstock" and have put on many events that make the MXoN look like child's play.

|

We are the sum of a 1,000 lives. What we know is almost nothing at all.

2/16/2019 10:28 AM

Kenny Lingus wrote:

Watkins Glen International would actually be a good choice. Plenty of room to build a real track on dirt with elevation changes. Hotels, airports and lots of tourist things as well. More than enough room for hundreds of thousands of people. Weather is usually ok that time of year. They are getting ready to host the new "Woodstock" and have put on many events that make the MXoN look like child's play.

I saw where Davey Coombs mentioned that as a potential venue, I would go to it if it was there as well. I would prefer Daytona purely on the fact of being able to walk there from the airport, having every restaurant to think of right near the track and having the beach a few miles away. The weather would be great too.

|

2/16/2019 10:40 AM

the next mxon in the states will be at ironman stamp it

|

2/16/2019 11:05 AM

MXD wrote:

The next MXdN in the states should be at Southwick, Millville or Unidilla, take your pick.

I agree with this! Unadilla (my fav outdoor track) hosted in '87 so personally I would narrow to Millville or Southwick to spread the wealth. The Martins put on an awesome venue and spring creek never disappoints.....MILLVILLE MXON!

|

2/16/2019 11:22 AM

Kenny Lingus wrote:

SWOHIO GUY wrote:

I saw where Davey Coombs mentioned that as a potential venue, I would go to it if it was there as well. I would prefer Daytona purely on the fact of being able to walk there from the airport, having every restaurant to think of right near the track and having the beach a few miles away. The weather would be great too.

Weather would for sure better in Florida. You can't really walk to track in Watkins. Other than that I feel Watkins Glen would be superior. I think if it wasn't for Unadilla, WGI would've already had a national.

|

We are the sum of a 1,000 lives. What we know is almost nothing at all.

2/16/2019 11:48 AM

It will never ever happen and here’s why, the France family! They will never let the FIM host an event there. I am surprised that the Daytona supercross is even fim sanctioned

|

2/16/2019 4:41 PM

neverwas wrote:

SWOHIO GUY wrote:

DPR250R wrote:

I have only been to Daytona once and have to say watching through the nets was really a buzzkill for me. I paid the extra $15 to be able to sit on the track and it was fun.

If they could somehow bring in more stands and drop the nets... awesome.

On TV... I would love it but I wouldn't make an attempt to attend in person.

Those nets are chain link fence and I doubt it's going anywhere.

|

2/16/2019 4:44 PM

MXDN!

|

2/16/2019 8:45 PM

hotlasagna wrote:

the next mxon in the states will be at ironman stamp it

OMG
I SO hope your right. Red Bud MXON was my #1 Moto-X bucket list, Crawfordsville would be icing in the cake, I'd so take a week off to experience what that area has to offer. Went to Daytona in 89', was also a bucket list race/week. The MXDN deserves way better IMO.

|

@ Teamflanneloutdoors
Instagram
Youtube

2/16/2019 8:48 PM

I wish, even though it's a long ways from Utah !

|

2/17/2019 7:56 AM

MXD wrote:

Those 3 are great summertime tracks but, if we don't want another RedBud (it was miserable and the track sucked) the next MXDN needs to be in Florida or California. No more midwest or east coast tracks for MXDN.

|

2/17/2019 8:02 AM

SWOHIO GUY wrote:

Weather great? If your idea of great is having a team dedicated to administering IV's for the mass influx of heat casualties. Florida in September can be absolutely brutal. Not to mention hurricane season.

|

Powerband in every gear !

2/17/2019 8:02 AM

Interesting idea, just not something I’d want to watch. Put it at a track with uphills/downhills and I’d be very happy. It is the motocross of nations, not SX.

|

2/17/2019 9:46 AM

Charlotte speedway since they already did the USGP but ..... not enough seating in any speedway to hold all of the fans.

|