MXoN - Raceday Discussion

YamahaJT1
9/29/2019 8:12pm
Congratulations to Netherlands, Belgium, and GB!

Also, thanks to those who participated in this discussion during the racing. The most civil behavior I have seen in years here...

OK, NEXT YEAR.... We gonna chew y'all up an' spit you out! U.S.A! I mean that in the most polite way.

9/29/2019 9:48pm
roninho wrote:
First of all, the US was a podium contender this weekend, i think 1 top 15 by Cooper would have gotten them on the podium. Having...
First of all, the US was a podium contender this weekend, i think 1 top 15 by Cooper would have gotten them on the podium.

Having said that, they havnt won in 8 years. You guys used to win 8 years in a row. The reason is you used to have the best rider in the world on your team and you simply are lacking them this decade.

I love the effort of these guys, but this team has no Carmichael, Johnson, McCrath, Stewart, Stanton, Villo, Dungey etc.
In regards to your 2nd point - I think it was more to do with having the best team in and of itself rather than big name powerhouse riders, though of course that undoubtedly helped also.

The top GP riders have in reality been broadly equal to the top AMA riders since the early 00s. Even throughout the 2nd American MXDN winning streak from 05 - 11 the GP riders would almost always perform very well individually, only to each fail critically as a team. This is important to understand because I think many of the U.S fans/media tend to look at the dip in American success as a post Lommel problem i.e something that's inexplicable and much more recent. That's only partly true. The top GP guys have been right there in terms of speed for decades now but anything they achieved individually was usually pushed aside in light of the team result - which to be fair is understandable. It is a team event after all.

What's happened in recent yrs is really 3 things imo: Firstly the AMA based riders are now primarily concerned with SX even more than previously, and this has also been further exacerbated by a uniform approach to their MX track preparations and variety. It doesn't hurt every rider everywhere. But it's certainly been a massive factor on multiple occasions now.

The other thing that's happened in recent yrs is that some countries have finally, if only for a short period, been able to field a good 3 man team. It won't last because ultimately none of these countries are big enough to maintain one. It's been France of course for the last few yrs and now the Dutch look to be having their moment.

Lastly, a bit of lady luck. The U.S was desperately unlucky in 2016 especially and very unlucky this weekend also.

Question
9/30/2019 12:10am
roninho wrote:
First of all, the US was a podium contender this weekend, i think 1 top 15 by Cooper would have gotten them on the podium. Having...
First of all, the US was a podium contender this weekend, i think 1 top 15 by Cooper would have gotten them on the podium.

Having said that, they havnt won in 8 years. You guys used to win 8 years in a row. The reason is you used to have the best rider in the world on your team and you simply are lacking them this decade.

I love the effort of these guys, but this team has no Carmichael, Johnson, McCrath, Stewart, Stanton, Villo, Dungey etc.
In regards to your 2nd point - I think it was more to do with having the best team in and of itself rather than big...
In regards to your 2nd point - I think it was more to do with having the best team in and of itself rather than big name powerhouse riders, though of course that undoubtedly helped also.

The top GP riders have in reality been broadly equal to the top AMA riders since the early 00s. Even throughout the 2nd American MXDN winning streak from 05 - 11 the GP riders would almost always perform very well individually, only to each fail critically as a team. This is important to understand because I think many of the U.S fans/media tend to look at the dip in American success as a post Lommel problem i.e something that's inexplicable and much more recent. That's only partly true. The top GP guys have been right there in terms of speed for decades now but anything they achieved individually was usually pushed aside in light of the team result - which to be fair is understandable. It is a team event after all.

What's happened in recent yrs is really 3 things imo: Firstly the AMA based riders are now primarily concerned with SX even more than previously, and this has also been further exacerbated by a uniform approach to their MX track preparations and variety. It doesn't hurt every rider everywhere. But it's certainly been a massive factor on multiple occasions now.

The other thing that's happened in recent yrs is that some countries have finally, if only for a short period, been able to field a good 3 man team. It won't last because ultimately none of these countries are big enough to maintain one. It's been France of course for the last few yrs and now the Dutch look to be having their moment.

Lastly, a bit of lady luck. The U.S was desperately unlucky in 2016 especially and very unlucky this weekend also.

About luck, it is worse than that i feel, for example just on top of my head, 2014 Martin's broken foot, 2017 Covington's knee, 2018 Plessinger crashed and Tomac DNFed in quali which kill their grid position for sunday which was key in a mudder, etc. I am not saying it would have translated in wins, but i have no doubt that the recent editions do not reflect the real level of the US teams.
St Ann More
9/30/2019 10:30am Edited Date/Time 9/30/2019 10:31am
Cool to see. Credit: Racer X

The Shop

9/30/2019 10:32am
Cool to see. Credit: Racer X[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2019/09/30/376808/s1200_FB_IMG_1569864528097.jpg[/img]
The riders respect each other, the fans don’t respect the riders.
St Ann More
9/30/2019 10:37am
The win hit the front page of the newspaper in the Netherlands. Credit: Racerx
500guy
9/30/2019 10:48am
Really a cool deal for them to get the first ever MXoN win and for it to be the home race.

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!
9/30/2019 12:17pm
I just posted my post-race podcasts from the race, so figured some of you would like to listen! Herlings, Vlaanderen, Coldenhoff, Cooper, Osborne, DeCoster, Prado, Sterry...
I just posted my post-race podcasts from the race, so figured some of you would like to listen! Herlings, Vlaanderen, Coldenhoff, Cooper, Osborne, DeCoster, Prado, Sterry, Watson, Seewer and Jonass are all in here.

There's some really interesting stuff from a lot of the guys, especially DeCoster.

https://mxvice.com/118649/post-race-pods-assen-mxon
Great interviews and a great interviewer! Nicely done.
Thanks! Really appreciate that. I'm just trying to get a bit better each year!
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3730th
9/30/2019 1:35pm
I'm not sure what happened but the following pic is the leg of New Zealand's Wyatt Chase. It happened on Wednesday before the event.

-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3730th
9/30/2019 2:10pm
For anyone wondering, Paulin's DNF was apparently because he ran out of gas. Such a bummer.
Press516
Fantasy
126th
9/30/2019 2:29pm
-MAVERICK- wrote:
For anyone wondering, Paulin's DNF was apparently because he ran out of gas. Such a bummer.
Yeah, that's a tough one to swallow...
SydAus
9/30/2019 2:39pm
roninho wrote:

In regards to your 2nd point - I think it was more to do with having the best team in and of itself rather than big...

A little Lady Luck Australia’s way could have seen a different result for them too. Webster stuck in a sink hole while running 10th in moto 1 [didnt even fall off] and both engines blowing for Ferris and Duffy with 2 laps to go...who knows what our end result would have been
Ranman68
9/30/2019 3:35pm
roninho wrote:

SydAus wrote:
A little Lady Luck Australia’s way could have seen a different result for them too. Webster stuck in a sink hole while running 10th in moto...
A little Lady Luck Australia’s way could have seen a different result for them too. Webster stuck in a sink hole while running 10th in moto 1 [didnt even fall off] and both engines blowing for Ferris and Duffy with 2 laps to go...who knows what our end result would have been
Dude that is so true. You poor Aussies suffered from awful luck, but the bad luck we had is overshadowing it in discussions.
.I mentioned Australia in one of my comments after Saturday that I was shocked at how strong the Australian team was. You guys were right in the thick of it and could've contended for a podium had things gone differently or had the track conditions been good on Sunday.
Rest assured that this yank noticed how fast the Aussies were. I'm sure many others noticed too.
Ranman68
9/30/2019 3:38pm
-MAVERICK- wrote:
Press516 wrote:
OMG that sucks. Bad luck strikes every team at some point.
Tbteam
9/30/2019 3:52pm Edited Date/Time 9/30/2019 3:53pm
I just can’t subscribe to the thinking that the MXGP riders are way more talented and better riders across the board. In 2015 and 2016 the...
I just can’t subscribe to the thinking that the MXGP riders are way more talented and better riders across the board. In 2015 and 2016 the US had a real shot at winning, losing with a score of 16 in France. Not much has changed as far as schedules go for the US riders, nor the GP guys for that matter so I don’t believe there really is a giant gap in skills/talent/ability what have you. I think the last 3 years it comes down to the US teams not performing to their full potential due to injuries, poor prep and bad luck.

If there was a full 12/17/19 race series of des nations events, I think you would see pretty steady results with USA, France, Nederlands, Belgium, GB and Italy battling for podium positions.
roninho wrote:

You spelled Bailey, Johnson and O'mara wrong.

*Actually, you did a good job on "Johnson"! Wink
Ranman68
9/30/2019 3:52pm
roninho wrote:

Question wrote:
About luck, it is worse than that i feel, for example just on top of my head, 2014 Martin's broken foot, 2017 Covington's knee, 2018 Plessinger...
About luck, it is worse than that i feel, for example just on top of my head, 2014 Martin's broken foot, 2017 Covington's knee, 2018 Plessinger crashed and Tomac DNFed in quali which kill their grid position for sunday which was key in a mudder, etc. I am not saying it would have translated in wins, but i have no doubt that the recent editions do not reflect the real level of the US teams.
I think I speak for a lot of Americans when I say that it is very encouraging when a European says things like you have said. That's great to see. We all need to open our minds and recognize the skill of all riders from both continents...or should I say ALL continents and not rejoice when certain countries have bad luck or suffer defeat. My hat's off to you sir for being an example, and I thank France for the incredible motocross and supercross riders that nation continues to produce.
Press516
Fantasy
126th
9/30/2019 4:21pm
-MAVERICK- wrote:
Press516 wrote:
Ranman68 wrote:
That was certainly Paulin's bad luck, but not the team's... That was a poor performance.

Ranman68
9/30/2019 4:22pm
roninho wrote:

This may be the best summary and explanation of mxon results I've ever seen. You are spot on, and like I said in a recent comment on the subject, America didn't win all mxon events during the 90s and 2000s.
Yes, we did win the vast majority, but not all and especially on sandy or muddy tracks. You mentioned something that I didn't think about, and it's very true. Even when the u.s. won as a team, there were many times that individual Europeans won mxon races but didn't have the team to win the event. A good example of that is the 2006 mxon. Everts went 1-1 and Cairoli won the other moto. An Italian and a Belgian. The u.s. didn't win a moto but we had three guys that were very good and all ran top 2-4. We won to the event by a huge margin yet two different Europeans scored the wins in all.three motos. Neither of those riders had the team to compete with the u.s. In recent years France has and other countries as well. Now the Dutch do. And like you said.....the u.s. has had God awful luck the last three years. With bad luck and several European countries being able to field very strong teams, we've had no room for bad luck, stupid errors, or not being prepared.
Back in our mxon domination runs, I specifically remember American outdoor badasses like Larocco and Kiedrowski getting beat by euros at times in mxon events. They always did well and ran at the front, but they did get straight up beat in motos by Everts and some others at times even if the u.s. dominated as a team. You brought up a very good point that is very true.
Ranman68
9/30/2019 4:24pm
Press516 wrote:
Ranman68 wrote:
Press516 wrote:
That was certainly Paulin's bad luck, but not the team's... That was a poor performance. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2019/09/30/376908/s1200_gas_goes_here.jpg[/img]
That was certainly Paulin's bad luck, but not the team's... That was a poor performance.

Yeah you are right. It makes me wonder what guy was responsible for putting gas in Paulin's bike and what kind of ass chewing he got lol
SydAus
9/30/2019 4:58pm

SydAus wrote:
A little Lady Luck Australia’s way could have seen a different result for them too. Webster stuck in a sink hole while running 10th in moto...
Ranman68 wrote:
Dude that is so true. You poor Aussies suffered from awful luck, but the bad luck we had is overshadowing it in discussions. .I mentioned Australia...
Dude that is so true. You poor Aussies suffered from awful luck, but the bad luck we had is overshadowing it in discussions.
.I mentioned Australia in one of my comments after Saturday that I was shocked at how strong the Australian team was. You guys were right in the thick of it and could've contended for a podium had things gone differently or had the track conditions been good on Sunday.
Rest assured that this yank noticed how fast the Aussies were. I'm sure many others noticed too.
Yeh for a small country way down under we have depth in talent and our future is looking pretty solid. It’s been widely written that we had injuries with Hunter, Evans and Beaton leading in to selection of our team but I truly believe our selection of Webster and Duffy didn’t weaken us at all.
9/30/2019 5:08pm
aeffertz wrote:
Was just curious to check the forum engagement between a few events. [url=https://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Moto-Related,20/Anaheim-1-SX-Night-Show-Bench-Racing,1351921?exclusive_forum_user=false&page=1]2019 A1 Bench Racing Thread[/url] - 21 Pages [url=https://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Moto-Related,20/Hangtown-MX-Main-Races-Bench-Racing,1359875]2019 Hangtown Bench Racing Thread[/url] -...
Was just curious to check the forum engagement between a few events.

2019 A1 Bench Racing Thread - 21 Pages

2019 Hangtown Bench Racing Thread - 13 Pages

2019 MXoN Practice/Qualifying Discussion - 25 pages

2018 MXoN Race Discussion - 34 pages

I think it's safe to say this race is still one of the biggest events in motocross.
If A1 or Hangtown was at 4am pac the page count would be half those numbers just to reinforce your point.
Idp57
Fantasy
2607th
9/30/2019 6:23pm
Cool to see. Credit: Racer X[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2019/09/30/376808/s1200_FB_IMG_1569864528097.jpg[/img]
How the F Herlings lost that much weight that fast?
teamddr
9/30/2019 6:46pm
YamahaJT1 wrote:
Congratulations to Netherlands, Belgium, and GB! Also, thanks to those who participated in this discussion during the racing. The most civil behavior I have seen in...
Congratulations to Netherlands, Belgium, and GB!

Also, thanks to those who participated in this discussion during the racing. The most civil behavior I have seen in years here...

OK, NEXT YEAR.... We gonna chew y'all up an' spit you out! U.S.A! I mean that in the most polite way.

How could you not be civil when the USA team conducted themselves the last few days like they did. Getting beat and taking it lying down isn’t in America’s DNA they will be back to try again. Only losers state side this year is Kawasaki US.

Congrats to NL,Belgium and GB

Nuffsaid
9/30/2019 6:52pm
roninho wrote:

Ranman68 wrote:
I agree with all of that to a degree, but we still had Dungey when mxon was in Lommel 2012 and in latvia 2014. Dungey didn't...
I agree with all of that to a degree, but we still had Dungey when mxon was in Lommel 2012 and in latvia 2014. Dungey didn't do anything great in either of those. On loose, soft surfaces, Euros just perform better. They ride it a lot more. That's just how it is. Additionally, Europe has had a rise in elite talent in recent years with guys like Herlings and Prado that push the other euros to higher levels.
The elite talent pool has evened out, and in recent mxon events the weather/surface has just not been good for Americans. Not that it was intentional. Mother nature just made it that way. There was a time when we had the super talents that could overcome it, but now Europe has them too. On a dry track it can go either way I believe, but if it rains.....no. We just aren't as good when it gets mushy. That's just the way it is.
I agree with this, if Ernee France is dry, I would put money on team USA. If it rains, I wouldn’t bet on them for a...
I agree with this, if Ernee France is dry, I would put money on team USA. If it rains, I wouldn’t bet on them for a podium. These guys in Europe practice in this crap all winter, while our guys are in SoCal on sx tracks. It is what it is.

Waiting a whole year for this race for it to be a kidder 3 years in a row kinda sucks.

Oh, Gajser was very impressive today!!!

Hope he comes into next season healthy.
The Euros train in sunny Spain,Italy etc in winter.
DeStouwer
10/1/2019 5:37am Edited Date/Time 10/1/2019 5:39am
RG1 wrote:
Does anyone know how/why France finished ahead of the USA? They finished equal on points and USA had both a better dropped score and better last...
Does anyone know how/why France finished ahead of the USA? They finished equal on points and USA had both a better dropped score and better last race score
France had 5 + 6 + 16 + 18 + 23 = 68
USA had 5 + 8 + 13 + 17 + 25 = 68

When it comes to a tie, they look at the best result both teams combined have scored. Both France and USA have a 5th as best finish, so it came to the second best result, in which France has a 6th and USA an 8th.

That's all there is to it, they've been using this rule for at least ten years I think.

Same goes for Latvia and Spain. Jonass has a 2nd as best finish, Prado a 3rd. Both teams scored 73 points, but Latvia got 8th and Spain 9th overall.
Sideways
10/1/2019 6:30am
No rest for herlings. This dude rides more than anyone.
Ranman68
10/1/2019 6:41am
SydAus wrote:
Ranman68 wrote:
Dude that is so true. You poor Aussies suffered from awful luck, but the bad luck we had is overshadowing it in discussions. .I mentioned Australia...
SydAus wrote:
Yeh for a small country way down under we have depth in talent and our future is looking pretty solid. It’s been widely written that we...
Yeh for a small country way down under we have depth in talent and our future is looking pretty solid. It’s been widely written that we had injuries with Hunter, Evans and Beaton leading in to selection of our team but I truly believe our selection of Webster and Duffy didn’t weaken us at all.
I would agree with that. Those guys were very strong. Way stronger than results showed. They just had one of those shit days like us. It's racing. The winners were legit . The Dutch team were so strong in those conditions they could've won on square rims.
Ray_MXS
10/1/2019 7:36am
-MAVERICK- wrote:
Swedens Anton Goles JWR Yamaha also ran out of gas that last moto btw.

Post a reply to: MXoN - Raceday Discussion

The Latest