MXoN - Only US Based Riders?

Related:
Create New Tag

6/19/2020 10:51 AM
Edited Date/Time: 6/19/2020 10:52 AM

"And when we asked about a possible Team USA consisting of Grand Prix based riders, that was a clear no go from Coombs. When I asked if the team could be Thomas Covington, Mitchell Harrison and somebody else said we want to race for Team USA, could that happen?

“No way that will happen,” Coombs told. “The AMA will not allow that to happen and if we are not sending a team of just anyone, they need to be American based, or at least our three best American riders, we won’t just grab three guys to race and no offence to Thomas or Mitchell, but that isn’t representing American motocross or supercross and I don’t see that happening and I know the AMA have already had that conversation and they don’t want it.”"

https://www.mxlarge.com/news/team-usa-and-the-mxon-1

What do you guys think? We seem to be OK with the PR "B" Teams. Do you think the riders need to be US based if they are not our best 3? I get we want to send our best, but it seems like if we had guys already over there and they don't need our financial assistance with their current teams, then why not?

I'm just more speaking to the challenges of the MXoN this year, any other year I get it.

|

6/19/2020 11:20 AM

Let the GP based guys be team "PR" and see how they do. Imagine that headline if they pulled off a win wink

|

6/19/2020 11:31 AM
Edited Date/Time: 6/19/2020 11:32 AM

I have said for a long time that Team USA should consist of at least one (1) American GP rider, whenever possible.

There should be some reward for representing the USA year around. There also has to be something said for a rider familiar with the Euro tracks and riders.

We should be ENCOURAGING riders to look at GPs as a viable career option, not demean them as some washed up has been for doing so.

Lastly, the USA has a built in unfair advantage, 350,000,000 citizens and an overall 3.8 million square miles.

France has a population of 67,000,000 and has about 249,000 square miles

See how that isn't fair?

If we could afford it, I'd like to see the USA broken in four (4) regions, NE, SE, NW, SW...base it on present day address for AMA Pro license....But exempt any Americans racing GPs in Europe from address requirement.

But, what do I know?

|

6/19/2020 11:41 AM

EngIceDave wrote:

I have said for a long time that Team USA should consist of at least one (1) American GP rider, whenever possible.

There should be some reward for representing the USA year around. There also has to be something said for a rider familiar with the Euro tracks and riders.

We should be ENCOURAGING riders to look at GPs as a viable career option, not demean them as some washed up has been for doing so.

Lastly, the USA has a built in unfair advantage, 350,000,000 citizens and an overall 3.8 million square miles.

France has a population of 67,000,000 and has about 249,000 square miles

See how that isn't fair?

If we could afford it, I'd like to see the USA broken in four (4) regions, NE, SE, NW, SW...base it on present day address for AMA Pro license....But exempt any Americans racing GPs in Europe from address requirement.

But, what do I know?

Like the Little League World Series?

|

6/19/2020 11:43 AM

If that's how it is, I guess

|

6/19/2020 11:46 AM

MXON 2020 will be a joke, they better turn it over into a GP at Ernee.

Holding a GP in a MXON weekend with scoring points for the GP guys will be the most stupid thing ever in MXON history.

|

6/19/2020 11:49 AM

"Lastly, the USA has a built in unfair advantage, 350,000,000 citizens and an overall 3.8 million square miles.

France has a population of 67,000,000 and has about 249,000 square miles"

Sounds like the Electoral College. whistling

|

Anyone but Ralph!

6/19/2020 1:13 PM

It's not unprecedented . Wasn't Billy Liles racing GPs when he was on the team ?

|

6/19/2020 1:35 PM

So the guys who go to Europe and represent America all year can't go to Europe and represent America for the MXdN?

|

6/19/2020 1:47 PM

Fonzarelli wrote:

So the guys who go to Europe and represent America all year can't go to Europe and represent America for the MXdN?

'Merica Bro

|

6/19/2020 1:48 PM

EngIceDave wrote:

I have said for a long time that Team USA should consist of at least one (1) American GP rider, whenever possible.

There should be some reward for representing the USA year around. There also has to be something said for a rider familiar with the Euro tracks and riders.

We should be ENCOURAGING riders to look at GPs as a viable career option, not demean them as some washed up has been for doing so.

Lastly, the USA has a built in unfair advantage, 350,000,000 citizens and an overall 3.8 million square miles.

France has a population of 67,000,000 and has about 249,000 square miles

See how that isn't fair?

If we could afford it, I'd like to see the USA broken in four (4) regions, NE, SE, NW, SW...base it on present day address for AMA Pro license....But exempt any Americans racing GPs in Europe from address requirement.

But, what do I know?

So the United States sends 12 riders to the MXdN?

|

6/19/2020 1:48 PM

it's a non issue, The USA has no GP riders that are Qualified for Team USA.

|

6/19/2020 2:01 PM

Fonzarelli wrote:

So the guys who go to Europe and represent America all year can't go to Europe and represent America for the MXdN?

philG wrote:

'Merica Bro

Kinda like France not picking US based riders for their team....you all are reading way too much into this...the US spends a lot of money to do this race and if their is a national that is the same weekend they are not going to send a team or spend the money....The MXON as we know it won’t be happening this year....

|

6/19/2020 2:39 PM

Who is going to go? I do not think with the C19 anyone American will go. In fact with the GP's in limbo I don't expect it to happen this year at all.

|

6/19/2020 3:03 PM

Mr. Info wrote:

Who is going to go? I do not think with the C19 anyone American will go. In fact with the GP's in limbo I don't expect it to happen this year at all.

I am not holding my breath either, 2020 is a write off.

|

6/19/2020 4:08 PM

When was the last time the US actually sent it's best riders? I really don't see how using GP based riders would hurt their chances.........

|

6/19/2020 4:28 PM

America should send the best 3 riders that want to go, regardless of which side of the pond they race on. That bring said, I think Covington and Harrison would be pretty far down that list.

|

6/19/2020 4:34 PM

smee113 wrote:

America should send the best 3 riders that want to go, regardless of which side of the pond they race on. That bring said, I think Covington and Harrison would be pretty far down that list.

Harrison is getting better and out there trying. Covington bowed out of the last GP because he didn't feel like riding so yeah he'd be out.

|

6/19/2020 4:57 PM

Rushton597 wrote:

When was the last time the US actually sent it's best riders? I really don't see how using GP based riders would hurt their chances.........

I think the last time the U S had its best riders was red bud 2018
What’s your point

|

6/19/2020 5:06 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/19/2020 5:21 PM

Rushton597 wrote:

When was the last time the US actually sent it's best riders? I really don't see how using GP based riders would hurt their chances.........

2018 on home soil at Red Bud. Our 450 national champ. Our 250 national champ and our 3rd place 450 rider. They got destroyed. Motocross does not matter in the usa anymore. Hopefully someone can turn that around.

|

6/19/2020 6:46 PM

Fonzarelli wrote:

So the guys who go to Europe and represent America all year can't go to Europe and represent America for the MXdN?

Not if we want a chance to win. blush

|

Ed Johnson

6/19/2020 6:59 PM

GforceCoatings wrote:

2018 on home soil at Red Bud. Our 450 national champ. Our 250 national champ and our 3rd place 450 rider. They got destroyed. Motocross does not matter in the usa anymore. Hopefully someone can turn that around.

In all fairness two years prior to that Anderson won a moto against Herlings but eventually got landed on. Team USA finished on the podium down a rider that year. Year before that they placed second. Since 2016 it’s been a mud race every year, now I know many like to ignore that little fact, but I think it’s played a rather big role in the results, with the exception of maybe last year as the GP riders are just insane at tracks like that wet or dry.

|

6/19/2020 7:10 PM

Riders contracts and sponsors not limit what a rider can do. And I think the riders can op out of anything by just getting a doctors note. The pride in representing the USA is different now. Times have changed.

|