MXoN - Magic Moments

Edited Date/Time 9/18/2013 1:21am
The Monster Energy FIM Motocross of Nations is without question the biggest most exciting Motocross race of the season. Nothing comes close and this event always pulls something out that makes you remember that years event forever. We decided to look at some of those moments.

Unfortunately due to my lack of attending the Motocross of Nations in the 1950’s, 60’s and 70’s I can only refer to races I remember or attended. So here goes, the list of Magic Moments from the last 30 or so years of the MXoN. So here are my top ten magic moments.

In 1981 Team USA, with Chuck Sun, Danny Laporte, Johnny O’mara and Donny Hansen sent the Grand Prix riders packing as they dominated the event. Harry Everts and Eric Geboers of the Belgian team (and favorites) couldn’t believe the speed of the American riders around the tough Lommel circuit. It would be the start of the most dominating era in MXdN history and one that would prove that America was a force in World Motocross.

Danny Chandler was part of the American team for the Trophies and Motocross des Nation events in 1982 and what a performance he put on. On the smooth and fast racing circuits of Gaildorf, Germany, and Wohlen, Switzerland, Chandler came through and won every moto in both the Trophies des Nations for 250cc bikes in Germany and again a week later in the Motocross des Nations (then for 500cc bikes) in Switzerland. Chandler became the only rider ever to win both motos of both events in the same year.

http://www.mxlarge.com/2013/09/17/mxon-magic-moments/
|
stillwelding
9/17/2013 8:41am Edited Date/Time 9/17/2013 8:43am
2012 MX of Nat. Herlings and Cairoli in the sand = Rout

TeamGreen
9/17/2013 8:44am
THe 1986 MXDN as IMHO the most magical of them all, more specifically O'Show's ride on the 125.
Yup...

And Hannah on a 125 @ Unadilla...or the 1st Big Win for La Porte & company in '81.
TeamGreen
9/17/2013 8:48am
It's about time we had an MXoN on a Beach somewhere; and, yes this supposedly implies that "Certain Europeans" will Kick Some Ass on KTMs.

So Be It...

May the Best Man, Bike or Country win.

I just want an awesome race that's injury free.

The Shop

Coly243
Fantasy
342nd
9/17/2013 9:12am Edited Date/Time 9/17/2013 9:15am
Everts at Foxhill '98, trials riding around everyone in the mud, lapping the entire field if my beer fogged memory serves me right. I do remember they had to cut out the big uphills as Stefan was the only one making it up.

Matterley 2006 - Everts again, just magical. AC/RV/BT and CP putting a beating on the entire MX3 field on 250f's.

Budds Creek 2007- Villopoto masterclass, Seeing RC ride in person and seeing RC get frustrated at not being able to get past Team Irelands own Marty Barr.
9/17/2013 9:16am
Lamson - '96 des Nations

Malin - '94 des Nations

The '95 des Nations - what an awesome track!!

The 2000 des Nations - Ricky and Tortelli going at it in the last moto and James Dobb 'almost' winning the first on the dog of a KTM.
Sondy132001
9/17/2013 9:25am
I went to the 1982 MXDN in Wohlen, Switzerland, never in my life have I seen so many people at a race (I've been to a lot of races) even on Saturday there had to be 75,000+ and I vaguely remember them announcing over 150K on Sunday for the actual race. I was lucky enough to have Roger DeCoster take myself and my friends through the pits on Saturday and meet the other Countries teams, Harry Everts was so fast and smoked cigs in between motos ha They had a HUGE tent in the middle of the pits, and at lunch time all the teams gathered for lunch and talked to each other, it was pretty special to see.

Watching Danny Chandler annihilate the competition that weekend was an amazing moment in MX history period, regardless of what race it was, he was/is the man always in my mind.
9/17/2013 9:30am Edited Date/Time 9/17/2013 9:31am
THe 1986 MXDN as IMHO the most magical of them all, more specifically O'Show's ride on the 125.
I know back in OZ that 1986 MXdN was the event that made me want to go to Europe. I had seen the USGP and AMA SX in the 1970's and 80s, but never been to Europe. Have to admit, Maggiora this year had a special feel about it, like ghosts of 1986 had returned to give it that MXdN feel.

My favorite MXoN was probably Matterley Basin in 2006, because of the huge number of people, and of course the ending of the greatest GP rider of all time Stefan Everts, or 1988 in France when Lechien clocked everyone and Bayle was so fast on that 125. The Aussies finished fourth, which made it pretty special too.
pmcc
9/17/2013 10:54am
Coly243 wrote:
Everts at Foxhill '98, trials riding around everyone in the mud, lapping the entire field if my beer fogged memory serves me right. I do remember...
Everts at Foxhill '98, trials riding around everyone in the mud, lapping the entire field if my beer fogged memory serves me right. I do remember they had to cut out the big uphills as Stefan was the only one making it up.

Matterley 2006 - Everts again, just magical. AC/RV/BT and CP putting a beating on the entire MX3 field on 250f's.

Budds Creek 2007- Villopoto masterclass, Seeing RC ride in person and seeing RC get frustrated at not being able to get past Team Irelands own Marty Barr.
Cool

Wasn't there in 98 but was at matterley and buds creek. Never forget the moment cairoli passed tedesco for the lead, the crowd went crazy all the way round the track... Gave me goose bumps at the time

Barr was flying all weekend at buds, RC obviously not used to passing people who put up a fight lol
TeamGreen
9/17/2013 1:55pm
[img]https://www.ftemoto.com/othergalleries/misc/images/Magoo002.jpg[/img]
Absolutely the Best Moto-Legend...

EVER
jeffro503
9/17/2013 9:49pm
I gotta say....as an American , I envy looking at some of the tracks and crowds the Euro guys have. They have some out right beautiful tracks and their fans love the sport. Although I do wish that some fans / sports journalists didn't have such a big chip on their shoulder and stir shit in subliminal ways every chance they get.

PS.....Wonder if our guys will get boo'ed off the stage again this year? I bet in 2015 at GH we don't boo any of the teams on the stand.....but I guess we'll have to wait and see.
jeffro503
9/17/2013 9:51pm
BTW....my vote goes for the 81' - 82' and 86' MXdN's races.....all legendary.
TeamGreen
9/17/2013 9:55pm
TG130 wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2013/09/17/32079/s1200_Magoo_1982.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2013/09/17/32080/s1200_Magoo_7_12_09ArgyllPark.jpg[/img]

That picture of Danny in the Drivers seat can make you laugh...or cry.

I miss him.

Truly one of our Greatest Riders...ever. And he was just funny and fun to be around.
jemcee
9/17/2013 10:14pm
jeffro503 wrote:
I gotta say....as an American , I envy looking at some of the tracks and crowds the Euro guys have. They have some out right beautiful...
I gotta say....as an American , I envy looking at some of the tracks and crowds the Euro guys have. They have some out right beautiful tracks and their fans love the sport. Although I do wish that some fans / sports journalists didn't have such a big chip on their shoulder and stir shit in subliminal ways every chance they get.

PS.....Wonder if our guys will get boo'ed off the stage again this year? I bet in 2015 at GH we don't boo any of the teams on the stand.....but I guess we'll have to wait and see.
man I normally agree with a lot of what you say and I can remember us sharing some light hearted posts back and forth but that's some seriously biased one sided thoughts you've put in that post for no real reason
ignore the people that talk shit cause they are in the minority and not worth the time
shortcourse
9/17/2013 10:27pm
TG130 wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2013/09/17/32079/s1200_Magoo_1982.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2013/09/17/32080/s1200_Magoo_7_12_09ArgyllPark.jpg[/img]

TeamGreen wrote:
That picture of Danny in the Drivers seat can make you laugh...or cry. I miss him. Truly one of our Greatest Riders...ever. And he was just...
That picture of Danny in the Drivers seat can make you laugh...or cry.

I miss him.

Truly one of our Greatest Riders...ever. And he was just funny and fun to be around.
CZ jersey to boot!
jeffro503
9/17/2013 10:42pm Edited Date/Time 9/17/2013 10:43pm
jeffro503 wrote:
I gotta say....as an American , I envy looking at some of the tracks and crowds the Euro guys have. They have some out right beautiful...

jemcee wrote:
man I normally agree with a lot of what you say and I can remember us sharing some light hearted posts back and forth but that's...
man I normally agree with a lot of what you say and I can remember us sharing some light hearted posts back and forth but that's some seriously biased one sided thoughts you've put in that post for no real reason
ignore the people that talk shit cause they are in the minority and not worth the time
Did i say something that wasn't true? Did our guys "NOT" get boo'ed off the stage last year? In the past years of the MXoN's being here in the states.....have you ever heard the USA fans booing another countries team so loud that it drowned out the announcer?

You're kidding yourself if think the Americans aren't some what hated in this race. And lets take up this conversation in 1.5 weeks after the race in Germany is over. Lets see what happens ok?
9/17/2013 11:15pm
jeffro503 wrote:

jemcee wrote:
man I normally agree with a lot of what you say and I can remember us sharing some light hearted posts back and forth but that's...
jeffro503 wrote:
Did i say something that wasn't true? Did our guys "NOT" get boo'ed off the stage last year? In the past years of the MXoN's being...
Did i say something that wasn't true? Did our guys "NOT" get boo'ed off the stage last year? In the past years of the MXoN's being here in the states.....have you ever heard the USA fans booing another countries team so loud that it drowned out the announcer?

You're kidding yourself if think the Americans aren't some what hated in this race. And lets take up this conversation in 1.5 weeks after the race in Germany is over. Lets see what happens ok?
talk about stiring shit.....you are kidding right? Americans are legendary at booing non Americans racing in America.
jemcee
9/17/2013 11:29pm
jeffro503 wrote:

jemcee wrote:
jeffro503 wrote:
Did i say something that wasn't true? Did our guys "NOT" get boo'ed off the stage last year? In the past years of the MXoN's being...

well it's not really a matter of true or false
you said that you wish that some of the fans/ journalists didn't have such a chip on their shoulder and stir the pot every chance they get... I agree but man the exact same could be said for some of the American fans wouldn't you say? (maybe you weren't making that problem Euro exclusive and I apologise if you weren't)

Well no, they didn't get booed off the stage.. some did boo yes, but they weren't booed so bad that they had to get off the stage to escape the barrage of boos, I think last year was nothing more than a bit of theater.. you know the big bad US team finally got beaten.. does it make it right? fuck no!! I think booing is one of the lamest things anyone can do
No I haven't heard the US fans booing other countries at your Des Nations but I've heard them boo plenty of other foreign riders so forgive me if I can stretch my imagination to them booing a foreign team..
No I don't think they are the most hated, are they are the team that everyone wants to beat? yes.. so while there might be some tools that 'hates' them but I would like to think that is only because they win so often and everybody likes an underdog and the big US team usually comes in and beats up the underdogs on their own tracks year after year.. that would have to get frustrating
like I said I focus on the cool fans not the tools
9/17/2013 11:35pm
jeffro503 wrote:

jemcee wrote:
jeffro503 wrote:

Roczen recently said in an interview that some of the American fans liked him (as a foreigner) more last year, when he wasn't doing so well. I agree that last yrs MXDN booing was pretty classless - but it happens all over the world. Only takes a few idiots.

Though I wasn't there I agree that Paul's 94 ride was pretty amazing, especially on that track against the bigger bikes. I believe I'm right in thinking that he used Bob Moore's Rinaldi championship winning engine in that race.

mxmasta
Fantasy
814th
9/17/2013 11:52pm
jeffro503 wrote:

jemcee wrote:
jeffro503 wrote:

I was right in front of the podium last year in Lommel and I can asure you that the US Team did get boo'ed, by SOME idiots in the big crowd. But I am sure, that the majority of the international crowd did cheer for them. I don't know what that sounded like on the broadcast, but it is no secret that boo's can easily overshadow the aplause. But come on, there are idiots EVERYWHERE on the planet, or did you forget how some riders did get boo'ed at the AMA races over the last few years?
9/17/2013 11:53pm
jemcee wrote:
jeffro503 wrote:

Roczen recently said in an interview that some of the American fans liked him (as a foreigner) more last year, when he wasn't doing so well...
Roczen recently said in an interview that some of the American fans liked him (as a foreigner) more last year, when he wasn't doing so well. I agree that last yrs MXDN booing was pretty classless - but it happens all over the world. Only takes a few idiots.

Though I wasn't there I agree that Paul's 94 ride was pretty amazing, especially on that track against the bigger bikes. I believe I'm right in thinking that he used Bob Moore's Rinaldi championship winning engine in that race.

He was offered the Moore bike, but went with a bike from Steve Dixon from memory. And on the booing, to be honest that isn't something that normally happened at the MXoN. Usually Team USA are given the respect they deserve and have earnt. While the American riders were not really open to the media last year (believe me I tried), they are usually fantastic and really a credit to the sport. Without Team USA, this event would be a lot different, and not in the positive form.
ayearinmx
9/18/2013 12:03am
jeffro503 wrote:

"Europe has always welcomed us. It’s been awesome. Ever since I went over there in ’09 I was a little bit taken aback how cool they were. We have a lot of fans over here in America, but over there they don’t get to see us, so when we come over there I think for them it’s so neat and so cool. They’ve always welcomed us warmly and it’s been awesome. It’s kind of cool running around. Everybody speaks different languages. You don’t understand a lot. But it’s cool. Obviously with the situation of wanting to win it’s kind of high pressure, but you get back from it all and you’re just like, ‘Man, that was some of the funnest times in my life.’ You feel like you’re in another world over there in Europe—it’s so different being somewhere else outside the USA besides Canada. You feel so far away but we have so many people that go with us so we got a lot of support and we feel right at home."

- Ryan Dungey Interview
9/18/2013 12:15am
jeffro503 wrote:

Roczen recently said in an interview that some of the American fans liked him (as a foreigner) more last year, when he wasn't doing so well...

He was offered the Moore bike, but went with a bike from Steve Dixon from memory. And on the booing, to be honest that isn't something...
He was offered the Moore bike, but went with a bike from Steve Dixon from memory. And on the booing, to be honest that isn't something that normally happened at the MXoN. Usually Team USA are given the respect they deserve and have earnt. While the American riders were not really open to the media last year (believe me I tried), they are usually fantastic and really a credit to the sport. Without Team USA, this event would be a lot different, and not in the positive form.
It was his bike but they put Bob Moore's engine in it on the Saturday and he preferred that so he used that to race on the Sunday. (At the end of the video you can see the team taking the engine out to give back to Rinaldi).
rangot
9/18/2013 1:11am
jeffro503 wrote:

ayearinmx wrote:
"Europe has always welcomed us. It’s been awesome. Ever since I went over there in ’09 I was a little bit taken aback how cool they...
"Europe has always welcomed us. It’s been awesome. Ever since I went over there in ’09 I was a little bit taken aback how cool they were. We have a lot of fans over here in America, but over there they don’t get to see us, so when we come over there I think for them it’s so neat and so cool. They’ve always welcomed us warmly and it’s been awesome. It’s kind of cool running around. Everybody speaks different languages. You don’t understand a lot. But it’s cool. Obviously with the situation of wanting to win it’s kind of high pressure, but you get back from it all and you’re just like, ‘Man, that was some of the funnest times in my life.’ You feel like you’re in another world over there in Europe—it’s so different being somewhere else outside the USA besides Canada. You feel so far away but we have so many people that go with us so we got a lot of support and we feel right at home."

- Ryan Dungey Interview
Dungey is right on. I've been to more/less 20 MXdN, and i can tell you taht for 1 % booing, you have 99 % of the crowd cheering for the US riders, or at least respecting the fact that they've come from so far to race. Just ask RC or Windham what they thought of Ernée. I'm not sure RC has ever been cheered so loud even in the US. MXdN is just one more boring race without the US, all euro fans know that. Heck, we don't even really claim our only win in 2001, because US riders were not there.
PressPassP
9/18/2013 1:17am Edited Date/Time 9/18/2013 1:19am
jeffro503 wrote:

I might put a wager on some Boo's if your guys didn't win for some reason,simply as you can't account for a minority,add some beer to oil a few of them up like at Lommel and you see why it can happen,I wouldn't judge the majority by it and tar everyone with tar same brush,I suspect some of it might even be harmless banter too anyway

There's always National rivalry and patriotism at races,sometimes it goes overboard,Pourcel got boo'ed while sat on the track with a broken collerbone while TC41 road off to the title,a Belgian fan actually hit Graham Noyce with a stick and broke his hand years ago when the Lackey/Vromans title Chase came down to the last round

Some dumbass's about,always have been,always will be I'm afraid

Get yourself to one Jefro and find out what its all about!
jamma10
9/18/2013 1:21am Edited Date/Time 9/18/2013 1:21am
jeffro503 wrote:

jemcee wrote:
jeffro503 wrote:

@ 1.45 listen to American fans giving it up for Reed in '09...

As Jemcee says, there are dickheads everywhere, luckily they're a minority.

Post a reply to: MXoN - Magic Moments

The Latest