MXoN Drama - A possible fix?

Related:
Create New Tag

8/3/2017 12:38 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/3/2017 2:33 PM

http://racerxonline.com/2017/08/03/bench-racing-ammo-mxon-drama

This article in RacerX highlights the packed schedule as the main reason why our top stars are often forced to skip the Motocross of Nations. I think most of us would agree with that assessment. Sure, if Monster threw a $1 million bonus to the winning nation, we would probably see more riders jumping at the chance to race in it, but mostly they just need a break from the grind. I can't say I blame them.

Now, it seems that there was a lot of cooperation between MX Sports and Youthstream in bringing this year's USGP together. What if they started to coordinate their schedules and they took the same three-week break in July? On the middle weekend off they could hold the MXoN. It would work a lot more like major league baseball's All-Star break rather than the NFL All-Star game, which is held at the end of the year. Ever notice how many NFL stars skip that game, too?

This would solve a lot of the problems we currently face. Everyone would still be in outdoor mode, no one would be putting themselves at a disadvantage by delaying Supercross testing, and for the riders who are switching brands at the end of the year, they would still be under contract and available. Riders could still have that surgery right after the last national. This would only push back the last race of the outdoor series in the U.S. a couple of weeks.

Maybe the title contenders in both series would then fall back on the excuse that they are in championship mode and they don't want to risk it on a non-points-paying event, but I cant think of any other reason our top guys wouldn't go in July. Am I way off here? I'm curious if you guys think moving the MXoN to the middle of the summer is a good move.

|

8/3/2017 12:40 PM

If you are in the middle of a championship hunt are you going to risk injury by racing the MXDN in the middle of your season?

I'm going to say no.

|

8/3/2017 12:41 PM

Not a good move. Make it the first weekend in september. Adjust the gp schedule to fit.

|

8/3/2017 12:42 PM

TXDirt wrote:

If you are in the middle of a championship hunt are you going to risk injury by racing the MXDN in the middle of your season?

I'm going to say no.

GP riders race other events in the middle of their season all the time.

|

8/3/2017 12:47 PM

tcallahan707 wrote:

You mean charity 80 races?

|

8/3/2017 12:51 PM

TXDirt wrote:

I'm going to say no.

tcallahan707 wrote:

early wrote:

I know what you are referring to but no. I mean smaller series like the Dutch or U.K. rounds.

|

8/3/2017 12:52 PM

I don't mind the idea of a mid-season MXDN, but I'm afraid riders would skip. To avoid that, I'd like to see them coordinate the timing of the season to end at roughly the same time and then hold the MXDN the following week.

Take it a step further, and do a combined national/MXGP for the last race of the year. Could alternate the locations not unlike how the east/west SX series comes together. Maybe every 4th year was in the US.

|

8/3/2017 12:53 PM

tcallahan707 wrote:

early wrote:

tcallahan707 wrote:

I know what you are referring to but no. I mean smaller series like the Dutch or U.K. rounds.

Yes they do because these national rounds hand out pretty decent prize money

|

8/3/2017 12:59 PM

early wrote:

Not a good move. Make it the first weekend in september. Adjust the gp schedule to fit.

No.

|

8/3/2017 12:59 PM

wideopen198 wrote:

Yes they do because these national rounds hand out pretty decent prize money

Don't forget the start money.

|

8/3/2017 1:07 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/3/2017 1:07 PM

someone needs to keep posting these dates, in order to stop all this BS about the race moving...

2000 Sept 24-25
2001 Sept 29-30
2002 Oct 20-21
2003 Oct 4-5
2004 Oct 2-3
2005 Sept 24-25
2006 Sept 23-24
2007 Sept 22-23
2008 Sept 27-28
2009 Oct 3-4
2010 Sept 25-26
2011 Sept 17-18
2012 Sept 29-30
2013 Sept 28-29
2014 Sept 27-28
2015 Sept 26-27
2016 Sept 24-25
2017 Sept 30- Oct 1

|

A Year In MX: One Man, One Year, One Sport
All 13 MX races on US soil
http://www.ayearinmx.com

8/3/2017 1:07 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/3/2017 1:13 PM

PRM31 wrote:

I don't mind the idea of a mid-season MXDN, but I'm afraid riders would skip. To avoid that, I'd like to see them coordinate the timing of the season to end at roughly the same time and then hold the MXDN the following week.

Take it a step further, and do a combined national/MXGP for the last race of the year. Could alternate the locations not unlike how the east/west SX series comes together. Maybe every 4th year was in the US.

Yeah, I would like to see a combined National/MXGP like that, too. With points on the line everybody would show up. I'm just old school and I miss the days when all the top guys fought to find their way onto the team. Watching Bob Hannah on that RM125 in the mud at Unadilla back in '87 was absolutely amazing.

|

8/3/2017 1:09 PM

early wrote:

philG wrote:

No.

This is one reason why I think a shared break in the schedule makes sense. It's a compromise and neither side has to admit defeat and change their schedule just to accommodate the other.

|

8/3/2017 1:23 PM

ayearinmx wrote:

someone needs to keep posting these dates, in order to stop all this BS about the race moving...

2000 Sept 24-25
2001 Sept 29-30
2002 Oct 20-21
2003 Oct 4-5
2004 Oct 2-3
2005 Sept 24-25
2006 Sept 23-24
2007 Sept 22-23
2008 Sept 27-28
2009 Oct 3-4
2010 Sept 25-26
2011 Sept 17-18
2012 Sept 29-30
2013 Sept 28-29
2014 Sept 27-28
2015 Sept 26-27
2016 Sept 24-25
2017 Sept 30- Oct 1

Literally just posted the same thing in the article.

I like Steve but he keeps massaging the facts to suit his own agenda when it comes to the MXdN. I'm surprised he doesn't remember the date of the 2003 event that he attended as part of Team USA.

|

Jeff Emigs Keys to the Race:
1. Get a good start
2. Don't crash

8/3/2017 1:23 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/3/2017 1:36 PM

The worst thing about Matthes keeping going on about this is that he doesn't even have his facts straight. He says in the article that the race keeps getting pushed further back in the schedule by Youthstream, when that simply isn't true, and he knows it isn't true, because many people have bought it to his attention. He can say that in the 90's it was mid September, but when YS inherited this race in '04 it was in the late September slot it holds now, and it hasn't changed since. When he, JT$ and Top Jimmy were discussing this on the Pulp show this week, they didn't even know when the GP's ended. They were saying that they finished in the first week of September, and that they were wasting a month before MXdN. In actual fact, the MXGP series finishes on Sept 17th in France. Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but if you're going to keep going on about what needs to happen to fix this race (after going last year and seeing an event where anyone of 3 teams could've won with 3 laps to go, I left feeling pretty confident that this race didn't need fixing, but anyway), at least know your facts.

The fact that he refused to acknowledge the timing of the Monster Cup as moronic and a key problem in all this still blows my mind also

|

8/3/2017 1:26 PM

early wrote:

Let's just take into consideration every national series and plan the mxgp series accordingly? (sarcasm)

Why not instead of having no break whatsoever between Vegas SX and Hangtown MX put the season break between those two races instead and move the entire outdoors series back accordingly?

|

8/3/2017 1:30 PM

RG1 wrote:

The worst thing about Matthes keeping going on about this is that he doesn't even have his facts straight. He says in the article that the race keeps getting pushed further back in the schedule by Youthstream, when that simply isn't true, and he knows it isn't true, because many people have bought it to his attention. He can say that in the 90's it was mid September, but when YS inherited this race in '04 it was in the late September slot it holds now, and it hasn't changed since. When he, JT$ and Top Jimmy were discussing this on the Pulp show this week, they didn't even know when the GP's ended. They were saying that they finished in the first week of September, and that they were wasting a month before MXdN. In actual fact, the MXGP series finishes on Sept 17th in France. Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but if you're going to keep going on about what needs to happen to fix this race (after going last year and seeing an event where anyone of 3 teams could've won with 3 laps to go, I left feeling pretty confident that this race didn't need fixing, but anyway), at least know your facts.

The fact that he refused to acknowledge the timing of the Monster Cup as moronic and a key problem in all this still blows my mind also

Hey, it's the "Unofficial start of the Supercross series" remember...

Can't possibly suggest re-scheduling the totally arbitrary date of the MEC can we. What's the point of a Supercross warm up three months before A1?

|

Jeff Emigs Keys to the Race:
1. Get a good start
2. Don't crash

8/3/2017 1:32 PM

as it seems to be going and reading what honda and kaw bosses say, this race just doesn't matter anymore to the USA factory teams, and also reading Cooper webs article on his opinion................it probably doesn't matter to YS either it seems if we show up..........so unless Roger gets it put together before he retires, like he did for getting a USGP, Im afraid this is going to be over for USA teams..........sad to say that or see thatunsure unsure

|

8/3/2017 1:36 PM

RG1 wrote:

Well one thing you can say about Matthes is that he never lets facts get in the way of his opinion, kind of like word nerd who makes up his own facts. blush pinch

|

Ed Johnson

8/3/2017 1:37 PM

ayearinmx wrote:

2000 Sept 24-25
2001 Sept 29-30
2002 Oct 20-21
2003 Oct 4-5
2004 Oct 2-3
2005 Sept 24-25
2006 Sept 23-24
2007 Sept 22-23
2008 Sept 27-28
2009 Oct 3-4
2010 Sept 25-26
2011 Sept 17-18
2012 Sept 29-30
2013 Sept 28-29
2014 Sept 27-28
2015 Sept 26-27
2016 Sept 24-25
2017 Sept 30- Oct 1

Well for one, that list of dates above has a year when it was on Sept 18th which, IMO, if it were that same weekend this year would be the 16th and that would make a huge difference in Team USA's schedule.

So this race has been pushed back from 2011 right? Just checking.

And it's one week later than last year also right? Just checking on that also

Here are the other dates you left out

2000 Sept 20
1999 Sept 26
1998 Sept 27
1997 Sept 14
1996 Sept 22
1995 Sept 10
1994 Sept 11

So if the race was 14th ('97), 10th (95) or 11th (94) or heck even that 20th of Sept that would also be much, much better.

Now we've got 6 years in 21 where the race would be a lot easier for Team USA.

Some of the issue is the way the Gregorian calendar is laid out for sure but bottom line is YS needs to help the stars of the event out with scheduling.

|

Mathis is getting weeded out of the pro pits one team at a time he and his almighty will be outsiders soon.

8/3/2017 1:37 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/3/2017 1:38 PM

early wrote:

philG wrote:

No.

Why are there 2 gps in June and 1 in July all in Europe?

|

8/3/2017 1:38 PM

MEC should be an early December warmup race, like they used to do at the GFI Winter series. BOOM, problem solved.
Riders could be done with their MX season after the MXDN and still have two months to test, or one month off and a month to test. After the MEC, they get plenty of time for ChristmaKwanzaChannukah, and everyone is happy.

|

Braaapin' aint easy.

8/3/2017 1:40 PM

RG1 wrote:

But the MEC schedule has been the 2nd week of Oct and the US teams, sponsors and industry are going to view that race more important than the MXDN...just a fact.
It comes down to how important it is to YS to have a top US team at the MXDN because you are not going to see the MEC schedule change....remember that promoter views any MX as a competitor as won't even acknowledge that there is an outdoor series regardless of where it is...
The MXDN schedule would be way easier to change than the MEC and if stays this way I wouldn't doubt that in future years you will continue to see the US teams involvement become non-exhistant...Nobody wins in that scenario...

|

8/3/2017 1:43 PM

Falcon wrote:

MEC should be an early December warmup race, like they used to do at the GFI Winter series. BOOM, problem solved.
Riders could be done with their MX season after the MXDN and still have two months to test, or one month off and a month to test. After the MEC, they get plenty of time for ChristmaKwanzaChannukah, and everyone is happy.

Yeah that would be easier on everyone for sure but the MEC has been the same date really since it was the US Open in 98 and that's the second week of October.

Here's the thing and I laid this out in the RXI story. The teams have to be done testing by end of October to order the parts needed for the 2018 year from Japan so most of the hard parts of testing (suspension, pistons, cams, transmissions, pegs, races etc--whatever is from Japan which is less and less these days) has to be done very early to give lead time.

|

Mathis is getting weeded out of the pro pits one team at a time he and his almighty will be outsiders soon.

8/3/2017 1:51 PM

Matthes wrote:

Well for one, that list of dates above has a year when it was on Sept 18th which, IMO, if it were that same weekend this year would be the 16th and that would make a huge difference in Team USA's schedule.

So this race has been pushed back from 2011 right? Just checking.

And it's one week later than last year also right? Just checking on that also

Here are the other dates you left out

2000 Sept 20
1999 Sept 26
1998 Sept 27
1997 Sept 14
1996 Sept 22
1995 Sept 10
1994 Sept 11

So if the race was 14th ('97), 10th (95) or 11th (94) or heck even that 20th of Sept that would also be much, much better.

Now we've got 6 years in 21 where the race would be a lot easier for Team USA.

Some of the issue is the way the Gregorian calendar is laid out for sure but bottom line is YS needs to help the stars of the event out with scheduling.

Youthstream took over in 2004? Right?

In 2004, the the MXoN took place on October 2-3..... in 2017, the MXoN is taking place on Sept 30/Oct 1..... so would that make this sentence:

"The timing of this race, which has been pushed deeper into the calendar by the promoter Youthstream"

complete BS.... right?? Just checking.

|

A Year In MX: One Man, One Year, One Sport
All 13 MX races on US soil
http://www.ayearinmx.com

8/3/2017 1:55 PM

drop the MEC , let Monster use the money for MXON ...all problems solved

|

the funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it

8/3/2017 1:55 PM

ayearinmx wrote:

In 2004, the the MXoN took place on October 2-3..... in 2017, the MXoN is taking place on Sept 30/Oct 1..... so would that make this sentence:

"The timing of this race, which has been pushed deeper into the calendar by the promoter Youthstream"

"The timing of this race which has been pushed deeper into the calendar by the promoter Youthstream" is factually correct as the race USED to be earlier and now it's later.

Who was promoting the race when it was earlier doesn't matter to that sentence that I wrote.

If you want to go back earlier than 1994 we can and it will show that it was much, much earlier which again will make my point that this race used to be much earlier. I don't care who was running things.

|

8/3/2017 1:59 PM

ayearinmx wrote:

Photo
|

8/3/2017 2:08 PM

Monster MXoN & Monster Energy Cup

The race that is most important to the people with money is MEC, if it was MXoN they would put it in the contract that said riders would be there if not injured.
But they don't and every year it looks more like they don't GAF.

|

8/3/2017 2:12 PM

TropicPilot wrote:

http://racerxonline.com/2017/08/03/bench-racing-ammo-mxon-drama

This article in RacerX highlights the packed schedule as the main reason why our top stars are often forced to skip the Motocross of Nations. I think most of us would agree with that assessment. Sure, if Monster threw a $1 million bonus to the winning nation, we would probably see more riders jumping at the chance to race in it, but mostly they just need a break from the grind. I can't say I blame them.

Now, it seems that there was a lot of cooperation between MX Sports and Youthstream in bringing this year's USGP together. What if they started to coordinate their schedules and they took the same three-week break in July? On the middle weekend off they could hold the MXoN. It would work a lot more like major league baseball's All-Star break rather than the NFL All-Star game, which is held at the end of the year. Ever notice how many NFL stars skip that game, too?

This would solve a lot of the problems we currently face. Everyone would still be in outdoor mode, no one would be putting themselves at a disadvantage by delaying Supercross testing, and for the riders who are switching brands at the end of the year, they would still be under contract and available. Riders could still have that surgery right after the last national. This would only push back the last race of the outdoor series in the U.S. a couple of weeks.

Maybe the title contenders in both series would then fall back on the excuse that they are in championship mode and they don't want to risk it on a non-points-paying event, but I cant think of any other reason our top guys wouldn't go in July. Am I way off here? I'm curious if you guys think moving the MXoN to the middle of the summer is a good move.

I stopped reading after you outrageously and falsely claim riders are "forced" to skip the race.

No one is forced to do anything. They CHOOSE to skip the race.

|