MX'er with 1 arm ?? WTF

Sonny
9/8/2009 7:48pm Edited Date/Time 1/27/2012 6:58pm
This is incredible. Many props to this dude, whoever he is. Tell me this guy is one of the "Vital Irregulars." I'll die.

|
BobbyM
9/8/2009 7:53pm
Sonny wrote:
This is incredible. Many props to this dude, whoever he is. Tell me this guy is one of the "Vital Irregulars." I'll die.

big deal...i know a guy with 1 dick...huge at that and he still races Smile
Wolfman
9/8/2009 7:59pm
That is amazing. I know there was a little mention of a one armed racer here a couple of months ago.
axel57
9/8/2009 8:02pm
Sonny wrote:

BobbyM wrote:
id much rather one arm than one leg hey Bob?
mx918
9/8/2009 8:05pm
Thats pretty hardcore.

He's even hitting the big ramps! Major props.

True motohead right there.

The Shop

Gym Briggs
9/8/2009 8:07pm
that is Dave Jackson out of Western New York. The guy is actually pretty incredible. He actually wins quite a bit. Jumps big jumps as well. His lil guy is coming up through the ranks. he has 2 arms. He also hauls the mail. Give the guy the respect he deserves.
ThePipe
9/8/2009 8:12pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 2:03am
Many racers and fans around the country recognize Harold Glissen. His outgoing personality and friendly nature make his a great person to talk to. He has overcome adversity and rose to the ranks of an expert racer and now in his 40’s he is continuing to do what he loves. Race motocross. Oh by the way Harold does it all with just one arm.
Here is the story of Harold Glissen.

Tell us a little bit about yourself…… I was born without a left forearm and hand. I’ve been riding since I was 10 years old and racing motocross since 1979. I own and operate a full landscaping company, Glissen Landscaping LLC since 1986. We install and design landscaping, interlocking paver patios, driveways, walkways and retaining walls. We’re currently running two divisions, landscaping and lawn maintenance.

In the beginning you had a tough time getting to race in New Jersey. The tracks didn’t want to let you race due to your “disability” Tell us a little about your tryout with Raceway Park. Yes it was tough in the beginning. Race promoters-Ken Landerman and Jay Irwin at Raceway Park thought it might be dangerous for a one armed kid to race motocross due to insurance reasons. My friend, Ray Cross, pleaded with them to allow me to ride at a practice session to asses my abilities. They liked how I rode and allowed me to race that day in the 125 Amateur Class. It was a little different back then because you would have 4-6 125cc qualifiers and they only took the top 20 riders from each moto to make the finals. It was very difficult and I didn’t qualify until 1980.

You had a successful amateur career and moved up to the expert class. As an expert level racer for many years you even raced some nationals back in the day. Tell us a little about that. I had several 125 and 250 Amateur wins and turned Expert in 1990. I received my pro license in 1998 and raced the 125 Nationals fulfilling a childhood dream of mine. I had some good rides and found my ability. I rode to the limit of that ability. I was featured in a few magazines and several newspaper publications. Today I compete in the 25+, 30+, and 40+ Expert classes.

Last fall you went down to Travis Pastrana’s house to try and back flip. How did that go? John Sigismondi got me invited to Travis Pastrana’s house. I went down and met with Travis’ dad Robert, what a character, he went through and gave me some pointers as to what to do and assured me that I would not miss the foam pit. I was a little nervous at first, which I’m sure you can understand, but once I had my helmet and goggles on I went for it. My first attempt seemed like an inverted Barrel Roll and I landed completely upside down on my head. It felt a little weird being being inside the foam pit with minimal lighting and air. It only took them a few minutes to dig me out but it felt like forever. The next few attempts got better rotations and the tires went into the foam first. I can’t wait to go back and try again and eventually do a back flip onto dirt.

You have been using Bel-Ray lubricants for a many years, tell us how your relationship with them got started. As with many young racers, you want to use the best products you can find and Bel-Ray was that product for me. 29 years later, I’m still using Bel-Ray. I have Bel-Ray sponsored since 1998 when I was racing the Nationals. I have a great rapport with the people at Bel-Ray. I’m mainly promoting their products on the local level through my travels by giving out products such as hats, t-shirts and oil to the kids and their families. More than likely if you give a kid Bel-Ray products you can be sure he will be using them for his entire riding career.

Who would you like to thank for helping out with your racing. Oh boy!! I have a long list of people I’d like to thank over the years. Starting with Ray Cross, a family friend who first took me to a race in 1979. I would also like to thank Bob Sorensom, Malcolm Forbes, Uncle Carmen, Scott Lukaitis, KPS, RRP, Bel-Ray, Action Motor Sports, Stumpy’s Yamaha, Rekluse, Scott Goggles, Dragon, Twin Air, Boyesen, Ed Brazina, Glissen Landscaping and all my friends, fans and people who have inspired me over the years.

Outside of racing you own and operate a hugely successful landscaping business. Tell us about that side of your life. In 1986, I wanted to be self-employed so I could have the freedom to ride more often. So I quit my job at Mobile Research Laboratory, bought a 21” Snapper Lawn Mower and launched my landscaping business. 22 years later, I have designed and installed landscaping, interlocking paver walkways, driveways and patios and retaining walls in Middlesex, Monmouth and Ocean Counties. Some of our projects are featured in Cambridge Clayton Block Company brochures and catalogs. We have participated in numerous trade shows and exhibitions such as The Flower and Garden Show at the NJ Convention & Expo Center, The Home Show at Brookdale Community College and The Home Improvement exhibit at The Freehold Raceway Mall. We also have a newly designed website at www.glissenlandscaping.com For more information about our business check out our website. It lists our company philosophy, our services, a photo gallery and testimonials.

In conclusion, as a long time friend I have admired Harold’s success as a person in all that he does all the while not realizing the obstacles that he has overcome in everyday life. If you don’t know Harold you should. Stop by and say hi at the track next time you see him. For a link to photos of Harold check out this interview on the web at www.njmotocross.com
Sonny
9/8/2009 8:16pm
BobbyM wrote:
Is it safe to say he doesn't ride for Factory Honda? Laughing

Also Gym, I don't see anyone disrespecting Dave Jackson. I'm really impressed with his skills. Not to mention that I'm stoked that he is a New Yorker. In the post the other day a man in the oped section said " NYer's never take no for an answer" Thank god Dave doesn't. Cool
BobbyM
9/8/2009 8:31pm
Sonny wrote:

BobbyM wrote:
axel57 wrote:
one arm is waaay harder than 1 leg...in life and moto
FastEddy
Fantasy
955th
9/8/2009 9:01pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 2:03am
There used to be a dude with one arm in the late 1980's & early 1990's that would show up at Washougal every year on AM. day and race.I think he was a B or C rider. He would jump the down hill,clear the big table top and double through the whoops.It was definitely amazing to watch him ,he also had some corner speed, and from what I remember,he was competitive in the class he rode.

Maybe Jeffro or one of the other guys from the Northwest remember this guys name...
oldx
9/8/2009 9:05pm
BobbyM wrote:
axel57 wrote:
BobbyM wrote:
one arm is waaay harder than 1 leg...in life and moto
Even more difficult if you have one arm and one leg.
Props to those dudes.
mxmaniac08
9/9/2009 12:00am
The guy is hauling! great to see, most people would not think its possible.There is a guy in Melbourne Australia called Jarrod Pope, he has one arm and used to haul arse a yz250. Mesmerized watching him pound out the laps a few years ago.
tobz
9/9/2009 3:31am
Highsider
9/9/2009 5:30am Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 2:04am

Circa early eighties, Wilcox Park, Iowa. Alan Paris. It was a popular supercross-style night track.
jndmx
9/9/2009 5:33am
More proof that once MX is in your blood nothing will stop you.
txmxer
9/9/2009 6:02am
to ride MX you need a strong core. Can't imagine the strength of these guys that do it one armed.
mxrulez
9/9/2009 6:32am Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 2:04am
lol i see that a photo of me made it up their

The handlebar extension makes it almost like i have 2 hands, it feels perfectly natural. If anybody wants more info about the arm extension because you think it could help you or someone you know, then please get in contact with me at tate.lindstrom@internode.on.net as i would really be happy to help out

jmar
9/9/2009 6:38am
I have seen a few in my time in this sport.

True heros in my opinion.
ebers
Fantasy
170th
9/9/2009 6:48am
Their was a post a few months back about Dave Jackson around the time of the Extemity Games, he's an awesome guy to talk to and flat amazing to watch.

Thats an amazing video of Tate (I'm assuming thats your name) The whoops section was my favorite, you haul the mail!

Inspirational to all
9/9/2009 7:27am
I think I know the guy you are talking about that went to Washougal. I don't remember his name, but I do remember seeing a guy about that same time with one arm tearing it up at Mammoth.
raddad
9/9/2009 8:10am
In Brasil, i race with a guy that was born with no left arm. He is a top "national class" rider in Rio grande de sol, a state in the south of Brasil. He truly hauls ass and wins races regularly! And to top it off speaks good English (very very rare) and is a hell of a nice guy to boot! I will take some pics this winter and post them here which will also show the kind of bikes/tracks that you see there... Very unusual and interesting to say the least!
BobbyM
9/9/2009 8:11am
jndmx wrote:
More proof that once MX is in your blood nothing will stop you.
no shit...
JackLHyde
9/9/2009 8:16am
Awesome. I met a guy some years ago who races locally. He comes out at the hardpack tracks and shows the wannabes what heart is.
9/9/2009 8:21am
back around 85 we met a kid from san antonio that was missing his entire right leg and his left leg from the knee down. he had an artificial limb on the left side and put on one boot. on his left peg was a piece of rebar welded in a loop and he stuffed his boot under it. he rode a husky automatic with a lever on the left handlebar for the rear brake. he was built like a wrestler from the waist up. we met him and his family at a Texas Series race and he was running in the top five in the series. early in the 70s i raced with a rider in little rock that only had one eye. i tried riding with one eye closed. couldn't do it.
MX Dad #27
Fantasy
497th
9/9/2009 5:34pm
Highsider wrote:
Circa early eighties, Wilcox Park, Iowa. Alan Paris. It was a popular supercross-style night track.

Alan was Married to my cousin Paula, he was a wide receiver, played basketball, baseball and would kick your ass at pool. He was run over by a disk when he was 3 years old. His family owned Paris Yamaha. And as you can see from the picture, NO prostetic.
Highsider
9/9/2009 5:41pm
Highsider wrote:

MX Dad #27 wrote:
Alan was Married to my cousin Paula, he was a wide receiver, played basketball, baseball and would kick your ass at pool. He was run over...
Alan was Married to my cousin Paula, he was a wide receiver, played basketball, baseball and would kick your ass at pool. He was run over by a disk when he was 3 years old. His family owned Paris Yamaha. And as you can see from the picture, NO prostetic.
Yes, Alan played outfield in HS and could catch a ball, toss it up a few inches, shake his mitt and throw the ball infield faster and harder than most guys with both arms.

Small world. I have more Alan Paris stories. Notice he was sponsored by my Yamaha shop.Cool
MX Dad #27
Fantasy
497th
9/9/2009 6:00pm
Highsider wrote:

MX Dad #27 wrote:
Alan was Married to my cousin Paula, he was a wide receiver, played basketball, baseball and would kick your ass at pool. He was run over...
Highsider wrote:
Yes, Alan played outfield in HS and could catch a ball, toss it up a few inches, shake his mitt and throw the ball infield faster...
Yes, Alan played outfield in HS and could catch a ball, toss it up a few inches, shake his mitt and throw the ball infield faster and harder than most guys with both arms.

Small world. I have more Alan Paris stories. Notice he was sponsored by my Yamaha shop.Cool
I've always known you are one of the good guys!
justme
9/9/2009 6:31pm
I remember a one arm mx racer in the early - mid 80"s that raced in tucson AZ from time to time and he was not slow.. Pure Heart
WhipMeister
Fantasy
4299th
9/9/2009 6:36pm
One of the fastest guys around here in the 70s had half an arm and was deaf, to boot. Can't remember his name. Wish I could. Hauled ass. Penton rider.

Post a reply to: MX'er with 1 arm ?? WTF

The Latest