MXdN History

tbanks
Edited Date/Time 1/27/2012 7:21pm
All right here is my crack at a MXdN thread! Feel free to flame I guess....

In your opinion, which MXdN race has been the best? I'm talking racing down to the wire, seeing the unexpected.

I know this is the biggest MX race of all time, but IMO this year's race seemed off in comparison to others, but of course it had its moments too. My favorite and best MXdN race I've watched was Budds Creek, but that was simply because of how dominating the US team was and how Villopoto blasted his way into history by winning both motos on his 250f. I was also there and the atmosphere was crazy Wink

I have heard of plenty of great MXdN races and stories. Some that come to mind are Lamson's win on his 125, and how Everts couldn't be touched, and of course Ben Townley sticking with Carmichael one year.

So which year held the best MXdN and why?
|
robkinuk
9/22/2011 4:38am
1986 Maggiora was special as was 1988 in Villars sus Ecot france, mega crowd, way bigger than last week.
1994 was a good vintage year for us Brits at Roggenburg with Maler, Nicoll & herring bringing it home , & Greg Albertyn nailing the deer that ended up on a fans barbeque!

1990 Vimmerby, Sweden had a cool atmosphere, everyone rode their bikes into town for civic reception, cool sand track, Bradshaw landing on Alan Morrison and Stanton's comeback ride in final moto.
tbanks
9/22/2011 5:59am
I saw a video, I believe, of Albertyn hitting the deer. That has got to be up there as one of the most crazy things to happen during a MX race. He was going pretty fast when he hit the thing.

*I'm not surprised a fan ended up barbequing the deer. I would have gave some of it to Albertyn afterwords lol.
Switch
9/22/2011 6:08am
Everts last race was an exciting one, even from an American standpoint. Him railing that corner standing up is still amazing.
Jefro98
9/22/2011 6:24am Edited Date/Time 9/22/2011 6:25am
2006 in England was cool with Everts and Stewart.

But my no. 1:
Lierop 2004, where de Reuver got close to beating Everts on a his KTM 250 2 stroke while Everts was on the Yami 450F.
Shame there was no team USA that year.

The Shop

`ol Ger
9/22/2011 6:43am
2007 was special to me, I guess because it was my first MXdN. And seeing the amazing Villopoto's two motos.
ga_pike
9/22/2011 7:30am
1987 - Unadilla.

Mud + Johnson + Ward + Hannah + being considered underdogs in the conditions even on our home turf + TV coverage in the USA.
tbanks
9/22/2011 8:14am
ga_pike wrote:
1987 - Unadilla. Mud + Johnson + Ward + Hannah + being considered underdogs in the conditions even on our home turf + TV coverage in...
1987 - Unadilla.

Mud + Johnson + Ward + Hannah + being considered underdogs in the conditions even on our home turf + TV coverage in the USA.
Always thought that Unadilla was the perfect all around track. I'm hoping they bring it back there for the next US hosted MXdN
Hut
9/22/2011 8:38am
1986 was pretty good! My favorite riders all there. Oshow besting 500 World Champ Thorpe on his 125
In future events I'd like to see mxdn at RedBud and/or Glen Helen

Clutchy
9/22/2011 8:40am
robkinuk
9/22/2011 9:13am
Clutchy wrote:
Yeah...........................Danny's domination of all 4 moto's at the Trophee (250cc) Gaildorf and Motocross (500cc) Wohlen, a week apart, was the most amazing performance in the history of the MXDN..................period!
jamma10
9/22/2011 9:18am
ga_pike wrote:
1987 - Unadilla. Mud + Johnson + Ward + Hannah + being considered underdogs in the conditions even on our home turf + TV coverage in...
1987 - Unadilla.

tbanks wrote:
Always thought that Unadilla was the perfect all around track. I'm hoping they bring it back there for the next US hosted MXdN
x2 I love Unadilla.
englishman
9/22/2011 9:24am
1947, '49, '50, '52, '53, '54, '56, '57, '59, '60, '63 thru '67 and '94 Wink
hairy
9/22/2011 9:30am
tbanks wrote:
I saw a video, I believe, of Albertyn hitting the deer. That has got to be up there as one of the most crazy things to...
I saw a video, I believe, of Albertyn hitting the deer. That has got to be up there as one of the most crazy things to happen during a MX race. He was going pretty fast when he hit the thing.

*I'm not surprised a fan ended up barbequing the deer. I would have gave some of it to Albertyn afterwords lol.
yup, that was the best one, that was the day Malin wasted Emig, Nicoll was clever enough to make sure LaRocco couldn't knock him off, Herring tore up the sick note to beat MX Kied ... and Britain kicked Yankee ass !!!!! When Deano moves to 450, it will happen again, so get those handkerchiefs ready
Sondy132001
9/22/2011 9:35am Edited Date/Time 9/22/2011 9:36am
Clutchy wrote:
woot woot I was there it was an amazing racing !

S
robkinuk
9/22/2011 10:07am
Clutchy wrote:

S
What was even more amazing was there was just 4 riders, 4 mechanics, Roger & Dave Arnold & Bevo I recall. In 1981 they even had to sell tees just to raise some bucks to cover expenses.

Even a wayward bee sting couldn't stop Danny that day, who told me he hit the first turn at Wohlen, in the lead screaming his head off!
Why I asked?, "because it would throw off the other riders and make them brake just a little bit earlier!" Danny said with a sparkle in his eye!Smile
Sondy132001
9/22/2011 10:17am
Clutchy wrote:

S
robkinuk wrote:
What was even more amazing was there was just 4 riders, 4 mechanics, Roger & Dave Arnold & Bevo I recall. In 1981 they even had...
What was even more amazing was there was just 4 riders, 4 mechanics, Roger & Dave Arnold & Bevo I recall. In 1981 they even had to sell tees just to raise some bucks to cover expenses.

Even a wayward bee sting couldn't stop Danny that day, who told me he hit the first turn at Wohlen, in the lead screaming his head off!
Why I asked?, "because it would throw off the other riders and make them brake just a little bit earlier!" Danny said with a sparkle in his eye!Smile
Believe it or not I stumbled upon that race by accident, my girlfriend (she worked for my dad at the races) was in Europe for the summer, staying at my grand-parents house in Zurich, I showed up for a month with Robbie Brown (he raced 125 Pro in the 80's) and she asked if we wanted to hit some MX race about an hour or two by train. We all agreed, took the train, then hitch-hiked to the race. I never seen that many people at a race in my life ? they said 150,000 and I believed it. I ran into Chris Haines, he walked up to me and told me I looked like a girl he knew in CA, haha it was me, he took me to the American pits, where RD got us passes and took us all over the place and I met all the Euro's that weekend. I was 17, it was the most amazing race I had gone to or will have gone to. Afterwards we went to the party, some restaurant at the hotel and had a blast, we missed our train and stayed at the hotel with the team. Magoo was a riot, we all stayed up pretty much all night screaming and partying, JO doesn't drink, everyone else did lol went home the next day.

S
tbanks
9/22/2011 10:17am
Clutchy wrote:

S
robkinuk wrote:
What was even more amazing was there was just 4 riders, 4 mechanics, Roger & Dave Arnold & Bevo I recall. In 1981 they even had...

Lol the yelling actually does work. I never tried it in the first turn, but I have made a pass or two that way......
neverwas
Fantasy
740th
9/22/2011 10:50am

S
robkinuk wrote:

Believe it or not I stumbled upon that race by accident, my girlfriend (she worked for my dad at the races) was in Europe for the...
Believe it or not I stumbled upon that race by accident, my girlfriend (she worked for my dad at the races) was in Europe for the summer, staying at my grand-parents house in Zurich, I showed up for a month with Robbie Brown (he raced 125 Pro in the 80's) and she asked if we wanted to hit some MX race about an hour or two by train. We all agreed, took the train, then hitch-hiked to the race. I never seen that many people at a race in my life ? they said 150,000 and I believed it. I ran into Chris Haines, he walked up to me and told me I looked like a girl he knew in CA, haha it was me, he took me to the American pits, where RD got us passes and took us all over the place and I met all the Euro's that weekend. I was 17, it was the most amazing race I had gone to or will have gone to. Afterwards we went to the party, some restaurant at the hotel and had a blast, we missed our train and stayed at the hotel with the team. Magoo was a riot, we all stayed up pretty much all night screaming and partying, JO doesn't drink, everyone else did lol went home the next day.

S
Very cool story Sondra,a great memory for you.
tbanks
9/22/2011 9:19pm

S
robkinuk wrote:

Believe it or not I stumbled upon that race by accident, my girlfriend (she worked for my dad at the races) was in Europe for the...

S
Wow you were living it up lol
ATKpilot99
9/23/2011 3:39am
Jefro98 wrote:
2006 in England was cool with Everts and Stewart. But my no. 1: Lierop 2004, where de Reuver got close to beating Everts on a his...
2006 in England was cool with Everts and Stewart.

But my no. 1:
Lierop 2004, where de Reuver got close to beating Everts on a his KTM 250 2 stroke while Everts was on the Yami 450F.
Shame there was no team USA that year.
I had that race recorded on VHS, I think Speed was running a delayed broadcast at the time, but damn it I don't know what happened to it. De Reuver was flying on the KTM 250 SX. It was incredible to watch even on video. At one point he put 5 or 6 seconds on Everts in one lap, but I think he eventually had a minor spill which ended his chances of catching him. I don't remember where he finished in the moto.
9/23/2011 3:57am Edited Date/Time 9/23/2011 4:07am
Everyone knew it for sure, this time Belgium or Holland would defeat team USA, Lommel 2012 Smile

6:40 Evgeny Bobryshev? Laughing

Jefro98
9/23/2011 4:12am Edited Date/Time 9/23/2011 4:13am
ATKpilot99 wrote:
I had that race recorded on VHS, I think Speed was running a delayed broadcast at the time, but damn it I don't know what happened...
I had that race recorded on VHS, I think Speed was running a delayed broadcast at the time, but damn it I don't know what happened to it. De Reuver was flying on the KTM 250 SX. It was incredible to watch even on video. At one point he put 5 or 6 seconds on Everts in one lap, but I think he eventually had a minor spill which ended his chances of catching him. I don't remember where he finished in the moto.
Yep, that's basically what happened.
de Reuver led for most of the first MX1 /MX2 moto and got past by Everts at the end. At the last MX1/Open moto Everts was leading and de Reuver was catching him fast after he passed Pichon for second. He made a small mistake and de Reuver got away again.
Everts went 1-1 that day, de Reuver 2-2.
I have that race on DVD thanks to my mate Simon who recorded it and burned me a copy.
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4254th
9/23/2011 8:33am
ATKpilot99 wrote:
I had that race recorded on VHS, I think Speed was running a delayed broadcast at the time, but damn it I don't know what happened...
Jefro98 wrote:
Yep, that's basically what happened. de Reuver led for most of the first MX1 /MX2 moto and got past by Everts at the end. At the...
Yep, that's basically what happened.
de Reuver led for most of the first MX1 /MX2 moto and got past by Everts at the end. At the last MX1/Open moto Everts was leading and de Reuver was catching him fast after he passed Pichon for second. He made a small mistake and de Reuver got away again.
Everts went 1-1 that day, de Reuver 2-2.
I have that race on DVD thanks to my mate Simon who recorded it and burned me a copy.
MXLife has that one (an hour of highlights anyway) archived if you that package. Love watching sand track races; would be very cool to make next year's race.

Post a reply to: MXdN History

The Latest