MXdN 2018 - What with ET3, MM25, BB4, Webb, JM6, ...

St Ann More
8/14/2017 3:17pm
TXDirt wrote:
The problem is the gap between Eli's last race and when the actual MXDN is held. Tomac will have to continue to train, and ride etc...
The problem is the gap between Eli's last race and when the actual MXDN is held. Tomac will have to continue to train, and ride etc to be the best he can be if he were to race the MXDN. He knows what it takes to be a top performer and for him it's not worth it to show up unprepared. He has a small window of time to recover from 2017 racing/training and if he does the MXDN that small window to relax and recharge for 2018 gets even smaller.

If the promoters want the top US riders then MX Sports and MXGP need to get together and come up with a schedule that works better.
... and if nothing changes but Eli wants to race next year?
DonM
8/14/2017 3:29pm
TXDirt wrote:
The problem is the gap between Eli's last race and when the actual MXDN is held. Tomac will have to continue to train, and ride etc...
The problem is the gap between Eli's last race and when the actual MXDN is held. Tomac will have to continue to train, and ride etc to be the best he can be if he were to race the MXDN. He knows what it takes to be a top performer and for him it's not worth it to show up unprepared. He has a small window of time to recover from 2017 racing/training and if he does the MXDN that small window to relax and recharge for 2018 gets even smaller.

If the promoters want the top US riders then MX Sports and MXGP need to get together and come up with a schedule that works better.
Not sure what I think about that...
robkinuk
8/14/2017 4:15pm
"Elk lives matter too!"
Plenty of time after Indiana national for Elk, sorry EliTongue to get his bow and arrow out have a couple of weeks R&R then come back all refreshed to win at Matterley. His fitness wont drop off in two weeks off bike and change will do him good. Eli's looking tense at Unadilla, trying to back into this 2017 title instead of racing for the win....Wink
MXMattii
8/14/2017 4:37pm
TXDirt wrote:

DonM wrote:
Not sure what I think about that...
At the moment it is scheduled for 6 and 7 October, that is about 7 days later then this year Dry

The Shop

cali11
8/14/2017 5:08pm
TDeath21 wrote:
I'd never ask Tomac again if I were in charge of it. Musquin is getting some work done on his knee. Understandable not to postpone your...
I'd never ask Tomac again if I were in charge of it. Musquin is getting some work done on his knee. Understandable not to postpone your recovery an extra month. Anderson and Baggett are injured and most likely will need that extra month of recovery too. Webb we haven't gotten the full story, so I'm not going to judge on him yet. Team USA can win. I think Osborne has to be the MX2 favorite, Seely is capable of putting in two top fives, and Covington is capable of giving one solid moto against the MX2 guys. So a win isn't far fetched really. If Covington struggles in his first moto of the day though, I'd say a win is out the door. And of course Team USA needs two good motos out of Osborne and Seely.
What I want to know is, what does MM25 have to do with team USA? As for next year, I could care less who goes.
JC21
8/14/2017 5:12pm
GuyB wrote:
I'm happy with whoever wants to go. I also get why people choose not to go. A few of the guys I've talked to who have...
I'm happy with whoever wants to go.

I also get why people choose not to go. A few of the guys I've talked to who have gone in the past said that it ends up costing them money. There's about zero financial incentive. If they don't win, they also catch a ton of crap from fans.
So similar to the vast majority of Olympians?

Scheduling concerns are very valid, only the individual can speak to these. Financial concerns seem uniquely American. How do other, much smaller nations send teams year after year?

Ah well, the almighty dollar eh?
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
8/14/2017 5:27pm
I'm cool with sending the best team we can send in 2018, regardless of what happened in 2017.
PabstBR11
8/14/2017 5:33pm
GuyB wrote:
I'm happy with whoever wants to go. I also get why people choose not to go. A few of the guys I've talked to who have...

I also get why people choose not to go. A few of the guys I've talked to who have gone in the past said that it ends up costing them money. There's about zero financial incentive. If they don't win, they also catch a ton of crap from fans.
JC21 wrote:
So similar to the vast majority of Olympians? Scheduling concerns are very valid, only the individual can speak to these. Financial concerns seem uniquely American. How...

Scheduling concerns are very valid, only the individual can speak to these. Financial concerns seem uniquely American. How do other, much smaller nations send teams year after year?

To me the olympics is a totally different story. For a lot of those athletes the olympics are the only time they are in the limelight. How often do you watch swimming throughout the year? Or shot put, fencing etc? In MX there are tons of events throughout the year that mean something championship wise and financially. Do i think ET3 going to des nations is the same as a guy from Estonia going? No. I don't think so. As to how they make it financially is a different story but the matter at hand is not whether ET3 can afford to go. I don't understand why this keeps dragging on for so long, or why all these people from different countries are so concerned about Eli not going this year and/or being put on next years team if it is actually in the USA.

Side note with the olympics being brought up, I wonder how the dynamic would change if this event was only held every 2 or 4 years.
Paul333
8/14/2017 5:35pm
TXDirt wrote:

But it works well enough for the three riders who answered the call....

SKlein
8/14/2017 5:42pm Edited Date/Time 8/14/2017 5:44pm
Paul333 wrote:

Are they in the exact same situation as Eli? Because it's fairly easy to see that's not the case. This is Zach's first full year being a legitimate title threat (and only races half the SX season). Cole has had rest time with injuries; he's also stated he isn't doing the GP, so there's some extra down time.
TDeath21
8/14/2017 5:51pm
TDeath21 wrote:
I'd never ask Tomac again if I were in charge of it. Musquin is getting some work done on his knee. Understandable not to postpone your...
I'd never ask Tomac again if I were in charge of it. Musquin is getting some work done on his knee. Understandable not to postpone your recovery an extra month. Anderson and Baggett are injured and most likely will need that extra month of recovery too. Webb we haven't gotten the full story, so I'm not going to judge on him yet. Team USA can win. I think Osborne has to be the MX2 favorite, Seely is capable of putting in two top fives, and Covington is capable of giving one solid moto against the MX2 guys. So a win isn't far fetched really. If Covington struggles in his first moto of the day though, I'd say a win is out the door. And of course Team USA needs two good motos out of Osborne and Seely.
cali11 wrote:
What I want to know is, what does MM25 have to do with team USA? As for next year, I could care less who goes.
The post was referring to AMA based riders, which Musquin is.
TXDirt
8/14/2017 5:59pm
TXDirt wrote:

Paul333 wrote:

That's their personal choice. Why does that somehow make them better then Tomac. He made a choice not to go. He's already burned out. Let the guy enjoy a few weeks off before starting up testing for death cross again.

I want him to go and was disappointed he turned it down but I can also emphasize with his reasoning. Guys like Eli have been racing their whole life week in and week out. When you do that a two or three week break can feel like a year because the breaks are so rare. At his level, I doubt you could even pay him 50k to go race because the off time is so valuable. Yes, the other riders picked have also raced their whole lives. Yes they stepped up and are going and that is to be commended. But Eli should not be slammed for his decision. It's his choice. And we don't have to agree with it. But we can atleast understand it.

Maybe next year he won't feel as burned out. Maybe he will find a way to better relax on the off days. Maybe he won't feel as much pressure on himself next year.

His declining to go this year should have nothing to do with who goes next year. If he's one of the top three and wants to go then you absolutely pick him.

To say you wouldn't pick him because he declined to go the year previous is cutting off your nose to spite your face.
PabstBR11
8/14/2017 6:17pm
TXDirt wrote:

Paul333 wrote:

TXDirt wrote:
That's their personal choice. Why does that somehow make them better then Tomac. He made a choice not to go. He's already burned out. Let the...
That's their personal choice. Why does that somehow make them better then Tomac. He made a choice not to go. He's already burned out. Let the guy enjoy a few weeks off before starting up testing for death cross again.

I want him to go and was disappointed he turned it down but I can also emphasize with his reasoning. Guys like Eli have been racing their whole life week in and week out. When you do that a two or three week break can feel like a year because the breaks are so rare. At his level, I doubt you could even pay him 50k to go race because the off time is so valuable. Yes, the other riders picked have also raced their whole lives. Yes they stepped up and are going and that is to be commended. But Eli should not be slammed for his decision. It's his choice. And we don't have to agree with it. But we can atleast understand it.

Maybe next year he won't feel as burned out. Maybe he will find a way to better relax on the off days. Maybe he won't feel as much pressure on himself next year.

His declining to go this year should have nothing to do with who goes next year. If he's one of the top three and wants to go then you absolutely pick him.

To say you wouldn't pick him because he declined to go the year previous is cutting off your nose to spite your face.
Exactly how i assumed most would take him declining to go after the initial hurt wears off. I get that feeling. Any year Villo or Dunge or any top guy didn't go because of injury or personal decision i would feel that. It def sucks when you know the best wont be there nor will you get to watch them throw down.
cali11
8/14/2017 6:23pm
TDeath21 wrote:
cali11 wrote:
TDeath21 wrote:
The post was referring to AMA based riders, which Musquin is.
Oh I see
TXDirt
8/14/2017 6:39pm
Paul333 wrote:

TXDirt wrote:
That's their personal choice. Why does that somehow make them better then Tomac. He made a choice not to go. He's already burned out. Let the...

PabstBR11 wrote:
Exactly how i assumed most would take him declining to go after the initial hurt wears off. I get that feeling. Any year Villo or Dunge...
Exactly how i assumed most would take him declining to go after the initial hurt wears off. I get that feeling. Any year Villo or Dunge or any top guy didn't go because of injury or personal decision i would feel that. It def sucks when you know the best wont be there nor will you get to watch them throw down.
I totally get a fans perspective and sure it does suck. But you know the MXDN is a business that seems to make a profit every year. If it didn't then they wouldn't keep promoting it. And the main product is the riders who seem to basically get shit for putting on the show.

So just looking at it from a business perspective I am amazed more riders don't turn it down.

Could you imagine a fishermen giving his best fish to a high end restaurant for free? No.

NFL players don't play games in the off season and there are plenty of people who would pay to see a pickup game in the off season.

Not a great comparison I know but for a rider like Eli there is no compelling reason to give up your very very tiny off season each year to do the MXDN. Other riders don't mind it and that's great. But if your heart isn't into it it's not really fair to chastised a guy who doesn't want to go and cloak your hate in the American flag. That's just weak by the haters.
Paul333
8/14/2017 7:15pm
Paul333 wrote:

SKlein wrote:
Are they in the exact same situation as Eli? Because it's fairly easy to see that's not the case. This is Zach's first full year being...
Are they in the exact same situation as Eli? Because it's fairly easy to see that's not the case. This is Zach's first full year being a legitimate title threat (and only races half the SX season). Cole has had rest time with injuries; he's also stated he isn't doing the GP, so there's some extra down time.
LOL, how many weeks does the average American get off every year?

Hint: Not as many as these guys.

Watch how many complain about the long season then run off to the European Supercross races for the payday...

TXDirt
8/14/2017 7:23pm
Paul333 wrote:

SKlein wrote:
Are they in the exact same situation as Eli? Because it's fairly easy to see that's not the case. This is Zach's first full year being...
Paul333 wrote:
LOL, how many weeks does the average American get off every year? Hint: Not as many as these guys. Watch how many complain about the long...

Watch how many complain about the long season then run off to the European Supercross races for the payday...

You are comparing apples to oranges. Most will be able to work in their career field for three decades. These top guys are washed up and burned out by the time they are 30.

I raced from 8 - 22 and made it to the highest level of the sport. There are rarely any "off" days let alone off weeks. You are always preparing, always riding, always testing, always training. Why do you think these guys get burned out? Why do you think Dungey, RV, RC, etc all retired. Here is a hint. It's not because they weren't good enough anymore. It's because they are burned out.

The grind of professional motorcycle racing is so dog eat dog, so time consuming, so sacrificing, there are very few Sports to compare to.
BobbyM
8/14/2017 7:37pm Edited Date/Time 8/14/2017 7:38pm
MXMattii wrote:
This year we've seen a real soap about the Americans but also other teams getting riders in line for the Motocross des Nations in Matterley Bassin...
This year we've seen a real soap about the Americans but also other teams getting riders in line for the Motocross des Nations in Matterley Bassin. Someone like Marvin Musquin didn't wanted to go because the season is already long enough, Eli Tomac said the same thing and most others didn't said it but where thinking it. Riders like Jeremy Martin, Aaron Plessinger, Adam Cianciarulo, Joey Savatgy didn't seem to be interested, neither were there teams?!

Someone like Cooper Webb said he got to much testing to do with the new Yamaha and the list continuous with riders who aren't interested riding. So Zach Osborne, Cole Seely and Thomas Covington put there balls on the line, they will extend their season with more then a month, for ama riders and a few weeks for Covington.

But next year the Motocross Des Nations returns to the USA, and very possible Red Budd!! Are you guys OK with selecting Tomac or one of the riders who doesn't really have a great excuses then? Because the 2018 season will be just as long and grueling, 2018 will have as much gate drops then 2017 and training with pappa or with Aldon will be just as hard too. Or would you Americans be OK selecting: Osborne, Seely, Covington and possible riders like Jason Anderson (injured now), Cooper Webb (OK Testing is important), Alex Martin (Going from injury to injury made him jump off the mxdn bandwagon, Not?), Justin Barcia (never said no, when he was on it), ...
Alessi would gone....and liked it.
BobbyM
8/14/2017 7:39pm Edited Date/Time 8/14/2017 7:45pm
TXDirt wrote:

Paul333 wrote:

TXDirt wrote:

But you have professional obligations Imho no matter what. Tough and personal call IMHO too
BobbyM
8/14/2017 7:43pm
SKlein wrote:
Paul333 wrote:
LOL, how many weeks does the average American get off every year? Hint: Not as many as these guys. Watch how many complain about the long...

TXDirt wrote:
You are comparing apples to oranges. Most will be able to work in their career field for three decades. These top guys are washed up and...
You are comparing apples to oranges. Most will be able to work in their career field for three decades. These top guys are washed up and burned out by the time they are 30.

I raced from 8 - 22 and made it to the highest level of the sport. There are rarely any "off" days let alone off weeks. You are always preparing, always riding, always testing, always training. Why do you think these guys get burned out? Why do you think Dungey, RV, RC, etc all retired. Here is a hint. It's not because they weren't good enough anymore. It's because they are burned out.

The grind of professional motorcycle racing is so dog eat dog, so time consuming, so sacrificing, there are very few Sports to compare to.
Broken neck, shitting in a bag is a close second. Toughest sport in the world all things considered.
TXDirt
8/14/2017 7:53pm
Paul333 wrote:

TXDirt wrote:

BobbyM wrote:
But you have professional obligations Imho no matter what. Tough and personal call IMHO too
Well I would agree a doctor has a moral and professional obligation to treat the injured in a car wreck they witnesse. But do all doctors fly to Haiti and provide free treatment for malaria? No. It's a personal choice. And to many a business choice.
SKlein
8/15/2017 7:08am
Paul333 wrote:

How is that relative to your original argument? Are we not able to compare decisions of people that are actually in the same field or work (which is what you were already doing before)?
ehr400
8/15/2017 8:47am
GuyB wrote:

JC21 wrote:
So similar to the vast majority of Olympians? Scheduling concerns are very valid, only the individual can speak to these. Financial concerns seem uniquely American. How...

Ask Donnie Hanson how well getting ready for the MXDN over there worked out for him? How much money he left on the table career cut short.

Do you work for free? Its called charity work when you do it for free, not too many charities risk serious injury lining up behind a gate. Lets face it, 75% of the GP riders use this race as leverage to get or renew contracts. Most of those guys arent cracking the top 10 in their series all year and show up to the MXDN and battle for the lead.

I vote to have Roger D removed and have a cast of all non americans from Vital to pick OUR team since they are super concerned buy who we bring or not bring. SMH.
MXMattii
8/15/2017 5:03pm Edited Date/Time 8/15/2017 5:05pm
TXDirt wrote:
You are comparing apples to oranges. Most will be able to work in their career field for three decades. These top guys are washed up and...

TXDirt, but you are today still working, if you're physical capable too, I suppose because you weren't one of the lucky few. Today you're one of the people happy with 14 days off, from a job you probably hate, and realize getting payed to work your but off to do what you liked as kid is, (was) a privilege.

But back on topic, most say it is because the schedule is to tight, and yes the schedule is to tight. But Paul333 has a point when he said: "Watch how many complain about the long season then run off to the European Supercross races for the payday..."

Not only the tight schedule is a reason because if that was the reason we wouldn't see that much of riders go hunt money in Australian and the European supercrosses in the off season. For some is the fact that they aren't getting paid even more important to say no. Risk vs Reward is in this sport very important remember Jason Anderson last MXDN?! Not getting paid but almost ending up in a wheelchair. Also that sponsors are putting them in a bench screw to ride the USGP made a lot of them think and say: "FU, if you make us ride the USGP, then we say no to the for you also very important MXDN. Because we can't say no to you because you're mine sponsor, manufacturer, ... but I can say no to mine federation when they ask if I'm willing to ride."
gt80rider
8/15/2017 5:14pm
I am just fine with them never asking et3 to attend the race ever again, and especially if it is on American soil...
kijen
8/15/2017 5:27pm
Paul333 wrote:
"MXdN 2018 - What with ET3, MM25, BB4, Webb, JM6" ET3 - Flat out wrong he refused his countries call. MM25 - French BB4 - Injured...
"MXdN 2018 - What with ET3, MM25, BB4, Webb, JM6"

ET3 - Flat out wrong he refused his countries call.

MM25 - French

BB4 - Injured

Webb - Back riding now but during the run up to the team selection was injured

JM6 - After his 450 ride at Daytona I think he should have been selected to ride a 450....
kkawboy14 wrote:
His "country didn't call".......Decoster a foreigner might have called, but definitely not Trump!
Pretty sure Decosters son is or was serving in the us military, thats about as american as it gets.

Post a reply to: MXdN 2018 - What with ET3, MM25, BB4, Webb, JM6, ...

The Latest