MXGP video production is horrible...

DrSweden
3/3/2015 3:35pm Edited Date/Time 3/4/2015 1:44pm
Watching the GP which has amazing racing, especially now with RV should be all tits, I was giggling before hitting play, but I almost fell a sleep, started to fast forward, looking for some action. It's there, the time sheets show some passing, but the coverage, video production is so horrible. Malin which I dig needs a side kick who is excited, like a Ralph (but with knowledge). It's like Youtube vid where some depressed guy shooting and commentating regular traffic with his iPhone.

Damn shame, they have the chance to make you people all very interested, make more fans, make the sport grow, and they do such a half ass job in production.

Anyone with average IQ watching US outdoors or supercross, can figure it out how to transform that feeling to the GPs.

Maybe just me, if so whatever...
|
CR250Rider
3/3/2015 3:39pm Edited Date/Time 3/3/2015 3:40pm
Totally agree. I've ragged on Chet burks productions, but cb is much better than luongo's version.

Maybe it's just the american version that's different.
Glory
3/3/2015 3:47pm
Agree. You barely hear the bikes or fans(not that there were any in Qatar) all you hear is Malin talkin. When watching the AMA it feels so much closer to the racing for some reason
KlootZak
3/3/2015 3:52pm
I agree as well. Watching GPs for 40 min is a drag but the same can be said (sometimes) about nationals ... They need to film more action and another dude in the booth (who is plainly made to create some action)
katooom
3/3/2015 3:59pm
Dr.S - it is NOT just you.

The Shop

nickm
3/3/2015 4:06pm
It was a very amateur production.

-Video was horrible, they were shooting into lights...even my grandma knows not to do that.
-On track audio was terrible, the bikes didn't sound right at all
-commentator was too loud, colour commentator could barely be heard.
-Their version of Jenny Taft needs to watch Jenny to see how its done.

Hate on Fox all you want, but as far as production quality goes - its obvious they are professionals.

There are lots of private production companies that can put on a professional show..they should just pay one of them to do it right.
DrSweden
3/3/2015 4:06pm
Keep coming. If this is the general consensus, MAYBE they will listen since mailing failed.
Glory
3/3/2015 4:22pm Edited Date/Time 3/3/2015 4:23pm
nickm wrote:
It was a very amateur production. -Video was horrible, they were shooting into lights...even my grandma knows not to do that. -On track audio was terrible...
It was a very amateur production.

-Video was horrible, they were shooting into lights...even my grandma knows not to do that.
-On track audio was terrible, the bikes didn't sound right at all
-commentator was too loud, colour commentator could barely be heard.
-Their version of Jenny Taft needs to watch Jenny to see how its done.

Hate on Fox all you want, but as far as production quality goes - its obvious they are professionals.

There are lots of private production companies that can put on a professional show..they should just pay one of them to do it right.
I actually like Lisa(GPs version of Jenny Taft). Didn't really think about how she dit now but when she did this a couple of years ago I think she was great. She and Georgia has imo been the best we've had

But I totally agree about the rest
struth
3/3/2015 4:24pm
Got a link.
I have full mxgp 450 race 2. Taped it live on eurosport and that was fine
Seamorbutts
3/3/2015 4:29pm
Love the GP's, but I have to agree everything already stated, pure and total junk when comparing to most professional productions.
DA498
3/3/2015 4:34pm
I agree, It left a lot to be desired. lots of dead time between motos left me wondering if I lost contact with the show (again). I think lisa did a great job, the race footage seemed good to me, like the recaps and slomo, just need to put it all together and add some (do I dare say it ) fluff. Good fluff though not useless stuff. Like the idea of teaching us newcomers some of the things were not used to, qualifying races, gate pics, whatever.....
Cant wait for this weekend!! Go RV!!
3/3/2015 4:34pm
The racing is good. They just miss it all.
Bob693
3/3/2015 4:54pm
darren7878 wrote:
The racing is good. They just miss it all.
They must have because that was some boring ass racing. If the next couple of races are like that I certainly won't be trying to watch it live. I'll just record the second motos and be able to fast forward here and there.
3/3/2015 5:01pm
The MXGP sounded and looked like an old British news reel....

bents
Fantasy
694th
3/3/2015 5:10pm
I didn't think it was as bad as some of you thought and I am glad that I paid to watch the live stream and archive. I was very impressed with the speed in the MXGP Class. The track while not great got really good and rough and it became apparent that a good set up was critical. I like Malin but Adam was quiet I thought they might have been in a library. That needs to get better for sure. I am really looking forward to being able to watch this all season long, when I want, wherever I am, in HD.

RV was trying his ass off and it won't be long before he makes his way to the front but I have to say these are bad dudes on true works bikes. I think it is just a cool deal,putting my absolute dislike for Loungo aside. Still about the sport.
Grizz
3/3/2015 5:35pm
Yea it sucked.
jemcee
3/3/2015 8:01pm
bents wrote:
I didn't think it was as bad as some of you thought and I am glad that I paid to watch the live stream and archive...
I didn't think it was as bad as some of you thought and I am glad that I paid to watch the live stream and archive. I was very impressed with the speed in the MXGP Class. The track while not great got really good and rough and it became apparent that a good set up was critical. I like Malin but Adam was quiet I thought they might have been in a library. That needs to get better for sure. I am really looking forward to being able to watch this all season long, when I want, wherever I am, in HD.

RV was trying his ass off and it won't be long before he makes his way to the front but I have to say these are bad dudes on true works bikes. I think it is just a cool deal,putting my absolute dislike for Loungo aside. Still about the sport.
I completely agree! That said I have been accused of being too laid back haha. Man if I can watch the race I'm stoked.. I only really listen to half of what any commentator says and their little idiosyncrasies make me laugh more than they annoy me.
Like you, I love that I can watch it whenever I want, normally second motos monday morning..
I said in another thread I feel like the US TV production is more geared at getting newer viewers involved, trying to make it more exciting and flashy, where as the GPs have a bit more of a stripped back approach knowing that if we are watching that means we are fans.

I enjoy both approaches, the tarted up with fake boobs and lots of makeup and the no fuss girl next door
MrGoon
3/3/2015 8:06pm
they'd show Charlier in 18th while there's a battle for 3rd going on
3/3/2015 8:33pm Edited Date/Time 3/3/2015 8:35pm
Ha! I was going to post pretty much the same thing as you did DrS but I didn't cos I thought I was being too negative about the GPs, but I can't hold it in any longer. The quality on the live broadcast was second rate at best IMO. The audio was up and down with Malin way louder than Wheeler and both of them puffing and popping into the mic - it was as if there was no de-essing or basic compression on the audio mix - or even basic mixing on the audio mix! Then the live timing was all messed up until every rider went past the finish - it would say that the third place guy was +1 lap when in fact he was on the lead lap, of course. This was the same on the live timing on the website and on the bottom of the live broadcast. The photography was so-so with some horrible angles - but at least they didn't have that idiot on the back of the quad holding, based on the terrible video quality, what could only have been a camera phone like they did in previous seasons.

However, and at the risk of de-railing the thread a bit, the most disappointing aspect of the whole show was the state of the GP event itself: it looked like it was basically held in a car park in a city where no one cares about motocross on a track that looked like it had more rocks than dirt in places. I wasn't there, of course, but I would go so far as to say the track was borderline dangerous with square-edged holes and a totally inconsistent racing surface. Then there were the spectators - I actually saw them in one shot! About 20 blokes who looked like they'd accidentally stumbled upon the race on a night out.

But for me, the very worst part was the racing. Only 25 guys lined up for the first MX2 moto and not many more in the MXGP class - and that's the very first moto of the season! How many riders will there be at the end?!? So, other than following RV's progress, I was bored out of my mind. Herlings winning while he's only at 65% (yawn for the rest of the MX2 season! - unless he comes to Unadilla of course :-) and the MXGP guys looking altogether processional.

The sad this is I want to love the GPs, but I really can't in their current form. I'm just counting my blessings for the AMA supercross/motocross, Feld and MXSports putting on such great shows.

Cheers
Simon

3/3/2015 9:06pm
struth wrote:
Got a link.
I have full mxgp 450 race 2. Taped it live on eurosport and that was fine
COME ON THEN COBBER!!!!!! JUST FINISHED A 20 HR SHIFT, id love to watch it
mumhra
3/3/2015 9:22pm
Agree. And it has been like that for years now.

At Youthstream they don't seem to be watching the races while they air it. They just follow the leader for a few minutes or laps, then the guy in 2nd place, then the guy in 3rd, etc etc etc... They somehow manage to miss all the action. I know that when i watch a GP irl and i come back home and want to watch it again on tele i am always dissappointed. They miss all the battles, all the passes, all the crashes, everything. (For example the mxdn in 2003 in Zolder was fantastic. On tele it was not very spectacular)

Furthermore i agree that the racing seems to be slower compared to the AMA nationals. Maybe it is because they don't air the sound of the bikes as loud, maybe it is because the commantators don't get so excited, or maybe they actually ride slower. Maybe the GP tracks are layed out in a way that just prevents them to go faster. The riders aren't slower, they are on par with the riders in the AMA nationals, but maybe it just is that the tracks are slower.

I however do not agree with the downtime being to long. I agree, on tele it is, but motocross is a sport that should be experienced in real life. The noise, the smell, the atmosphere,... you don't get that on television. When i have to pay 100 euro/person entrance i want my weekend to be filled. I want to spend an entire weekend in the atmosphere. If that means having intermissions for more then an hour, in which i can find the perfect viewing spot or eat some french fries and drink a beer, then so be it. At that moment i do not care for the guy behind the television who only has payed 6 dollar. The guy behind the television can easily record the 1st 3 races, watch them back to back and the watch the final race live. If you do it like that you don't have downtime. Problem solved.
rostocker
3/3/2015 10:49pm
They have no clue...
Did you see this jump last weekend?

Didn’t think so.. They filmed it from the front (the perfect angle where you really can see the length and height.. not!)
AMA would never let a big jump like this slip out without notice Angry

However, when on site, everything its quite perfect... (you want to have time to get a beer in between races, and the cue can be.. “time consuming” Tongue
3/4/2015 12:38am Edited Date/Time 3/4/2015 12:50am
Briefly on the subject of commentating; Adam Wheeler doesn't have the loudest voice but I actually think there was something wrong with his microphone on this occasion. He wasn't at all easy to hear, which isn't usually a problem for me. Besides that, personally I think he and Paul are usually a great combo but that technical difficulty (if that's what it was) seemed to last the entire broadcast. The GP analytical style of commentating is my cup of tea. Some of the other parts of the broadcast could do with some work, though overall I think it's pretty good.
3/4/2015 12:49am Edited Date/Time 3/4/2015 12:54am
Ha! I was going to post pretty much the same thing as you did DrS but I didn't cos I thought I was being too negative...
Ha! I was going to post pretty much the same thing as you did DrS but I didn't cos I thought I was being too negative about the GPs, but I can't hold it in any longer. The quality on the live broadcast was second rate at best IMO. The audio was up and down with Malin way louder than Wheeler and both of them puffing and popping into the mic - it was as if there was no de-essing or basic compression on the audio mix - or even basic mixing on the audio mix! Then the live timing was all messed up until every rider went past the finish - it would say that the third place guy was +1 lap when in fact he was on the lead lap, of course. This was the same on the live timing on the website and on the bottom of the live broadcast. The photography was so-so with some horrible angles - but at least they didn't have that idiot on the back of the quad holding, based on the terrible video quality, what could only have been a camera phone like they did in previous seasons.

However, and at the risk of de-railing the thread a bit, the most disappointing aspect of the whole show was the state of the GP event itself: it looked like it was basically held in a car park in a city where no one cares about motocross on a track that looked like it had more rocks than dirt in places. I wasn't there, of course, but I would go so far as to say the track was borderline dangerous with square-edged holes and a totally inconsistent racing surface. Then there were the spectators - I actually saw them in one shot! About 20 blokes who looked like they'd accidentally stumbled upon the race on a night out.

But for me, the very worst part was the racing. Only 25 guys lined up for the first MX2 moto and not many more in the MXGP class - and that's the very first moto of the season! How many riders will there be at the end?!? So, other than following RV's progress, I was bored out of my mind. Herlings winning while he's only at 65% (yawn for the rest of the MX2 season! - unless he comes to Unadilla of course :-) and the MXGP guys looking altogether processional.

The sad this is I want to love the GPs, but I really can't in their current form. I'm just counting my blessings for the AMA supercross/motocross, Feld and MXSports putting on such great shows.

Cheers
Simon

Honestly I think we all feel the same about that track (with exception to the inconsistent racing surface comment, as this is part of GP racing). Holding a GP there is bonkers, plain and simple; I completely agree. From what Iv'e seen the track in Thailand also looks like crap. However give it some time. Once the series goes back to Europe, the atmosphere, fan turnout and tracks are in a completely different universe of quality.
Spydee
3/4/2015 12:50am
Lacking the enthusiasm compared to the yanks, it just doesn't get you hyped up and excited. I wish they'd put Brian Moore in the booth, that would be comedy:

https://youtu.be/jTQWT-B0EBw
jamma10
3/4/2015 1:51am Edited Date/Time 3/4/2015 2:02am
Briefly on the subject of commentating; Adam Wheeler doesn't have the loudest voice but I actually think there was something wrong with his microphone on this...
Briefly on the subject of commentating; Adam Wheeler doesn't have the loudest voice but I actually think there was something wrong with his microphone on this occasion. He wasn't at all easy to hear, which isn't usually a problem for me. Besides that, personally I think he and Paul are usually a great combo but that technical difficulty (if that's what it was) seemed to last the entire broadcast. The GP analytical style of commentating is my cup of tea. Some of the other parts of the broadcast could do with some work, though overall I think it's pretty good.
Totally agree.

It was just a technical issue with Wheelers mic and Wheeler is never jumping around out of his seat shouting like a mentalist anyway, he's a journalist who gets invited into the booth occasionally, he's not a commentator. I do often think Malin needs someone slightly more enthusiastic to help him out though, that's why I've long been a huge advocate of Jeff Perrett who knows his stuff and knows when to inject a little excitement into the show. Hopefully he will co-commentate on a few rounds this season. Malin has a tough job talking for 3/4 hours though.

I agree with the camera angles and some of the other little quirks, I've long thought that the whole package needed to be improved but it has actually got better beleive it or not. A few years ago it was really amateurish! You also have to consider that the Youthstream crew is Italian (I believe), and they might be accustomed to a different style than American and British production crews (among others) that tend to lead the way in sports broadcasting. For example over here the BBC and Skysports set an exceptionally high standard for sports coverage which most of us have grown accustomed to. But then they're able to invest millions of pounds into it and Youthstream don't have anything like their resources.
GATOR
3/4/2015 1:55am
DrSweden wrote:
Keep coming. If this is the general consensus, MAYBE they will listen since mailing failed.
Dream on... It's been like this for years.
I'm always amazed how they can provide us on a regular basis with ten or fifteen seconds of image including absolutely no bike in the frame, lol...
And for those who find Malin boring, you should hear most of the french speakers (they usually don't last long) who don't have a clue what they're talking about...
Angry
struth
3/4/2015 3:09am
MrGoon wrote:
they'd show Charlier in 18th while there's a battle for 3rd going on
They do the same thing in sx, trey n tomac are battling and they cut to some other rider and then you look at live scoring n tomac has passed trey.
There highlight show sucks only goes for half hour.
The live eurosport sport races are great!!!

Kawapilot
3/4/2015 3:17am
rostocker wrote:
They have no clue... Did you see this jump last weekend? [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2015/03/03/82377/s1200_Gautier_Paulin_in_Qatar.jpg[/img] Didn’t think so.. They filmed it from the front (the perfect angle where you...
They have no clue...
Did you see this jump last weekend?

Didn’t think so.. They filmed it from the front (the perfect angle where you really can see the length and height.. not!)
AMA would never let a big jump like this slip out without notice Angry

However, when on site, everything its quite perfect... (you want to have time to get a beer in between races, and the cue can be.. “time consuming” Tongue
Agree! They always have very bad Camera Positions

The only i saw is that the guys have to pull the bike very hard to jump that ass.

3/4/2015 3:26am
whats the point of create a jump like this if you cant do it justice on ur broadcast?
Maybe the only way is to flood theyre mail HERE

10000hrs
3/4/2015 3:43am
Regarding the missing of battles on the screen:

I have this vision in my mind of a guy ( the director ... Producer? ) sitting in a van with ten screens in front of him and he has to make a split second decision on where the best action on the track is and where its going to be. If true it seems like one of three things is missing

1. Not enuff money for enuff cameras
2. Cameras not in the right place or dont rotate to follow the action
3. The guy in the van doesnt have any moto expertise to know what the fan wants.

Anybody know who the guys is in the van for the Gp's?

I guess it would be interesting to know who does it for SX as well.

Post a reply to: MXGP video production is horrible...

The Latest