MXGP style Metal Starting Grid

RMOT.org
We know DC said no way a few weeks back about a metal Grid on the Startline, but that was before the Youthstream make-up.

US based riders will at a disadvantage on starts if Metal Grid is used on starts at the MXdN and USGP.

Shouldn't DC at least give the Metal Grid a try at the 1st couple of Nationals ?

Muddy conditions like at Detroit last week it would of made sense for SX also.

SX is an FIM event as we are all so Loathe to hear.

And Youthstream is FIM MX.

So if your gonna play by their rules...

www.RMOT.org

|
Crush
3/28/2017 3:59am
I don't like the idea, gate selection should be part of it, but the gate is the last of their concerns, and supposedly it's coming to SX anyways.

They're more at a disadvantage each MXdN due to the lack of diversity in the AMA series track prep and racing surfaces...

Dungey, national champ got eaten up in the deep sand of Lommel, as did ex-champ Bagget and Barcia, a multi-time "ama-sand" national winner....

And again on the super hardpack choppy ruts of Teuschental Dungey's bike looked awful... Web's bike didn't look fun at the end of Maggiora....
RMOT.org
3/28/2017 4:27am
Metal Grid in Argentina

Kinda like a concrete slab. Only portable. It's consistent And you could practice at home.

RG1
3/28/2017 5:47am
From what I hear quite a lot of the GP riders don't really dig it either. So I guess there's a chance that it goes away by the end of the season
RMOT.org
3/28/2017 6:31am
RG1 wrote:
From what I hear quite a lot of the GP riders don't really dig it either. So I guess there's a chance that it goes away...
From what I hear quite a lot of the GP riders don't really dig it either. So I guess there's a chance that it goes away by the end of the season
What is your source for that news ?

I'm sure consistent traction sucks. No gate prep and all gates being somewhat equal.

Yep, it'll be gone before Davey even tries it.

The Shop

hvaughn88
3/28/2017 6:38am
RG1 wrote:
From what I hear quite a lot of the GP riders don't really dig it either. So I guess there's a chance that it goes away...
RMOT.org wrote:
What is your source for that news ? I'm sure consistent traction sucks. No gate prep and all gates being somewhat equal. Yep, it'll be gone...

I'm sure consistent traction sucks. No gate prep and all gates being somewhat equal.

Not a Davey Fan, eh?
RG1
3/28/2017 6:41am
RMOT.org wrote:
What is your source for that news ? I'm sure consistent traction sucks. No gate prep and all gates being somewhat equal. Yep, it'll be gone...

I'm sure Malin said it on commentary in Indonesia. That it hasn't been very well received by many of the riders
Bearuno
3/28/2017 7:41am
I've not seen any close up pictures of it, and didn't think to have a sqizz at it at Indonesia or Argentina, but I hope there Is consistency in it construction.

Different constructions, will mean vastly different traction. Flat plate with just holes in it, will be vastly different to square holed versions, mesh versions, and that pressed and opened mesh / grating. I'm not sure, but I haven't read if they are transporting the same 'gate plate' to each race.

They need to have the right mesh, that will not turn to ice like qualities in the Wet, does not bend or flex, and be Truly consistent, as they are spruiking it to be. If it's not consistent, what's the point of it?
RMOT.org
3/28/2017 7:52am
hvaughn88 wrote:
Not a Davey Fan, eh?
I love Davey. He will be a legend one day. Just when he says he will never happen and then jumps in bed with youthstream...
ruy
3/28/2017 8:37am
The ¨gate plate¨ is the same in all GPs, transported every race, offers good grip in dry, wet and with mud. Here some photos of the KTM team training with one that I do not know if it would be 100% the same.

3/28/2017 9:54am
I think it's stupid, to me it requires more skill to get a good start on dirt. Not to mention with this metal thing that completely ruins any reason to have the fastest qualifier pick his gate first. I don't think many of the US riders liked it at the Momster Cup.

Post a reply to: MXGP style Metal Starting Grid

The Latest