MXGP of Valencia (Spain ) Raceday

DP#201
3/25/2018 11:25am
bsharkey wrote:
How bad were Sanayeis starts. I wish they had lap charts like in Supercross so you can see where the guys started and finished. It appears...
How bad were Sanayeis starts. I wish they had lap charts like in Supercross so you can see where the guys started and finished. It appears he had the fastest lap times for sure he was a full second faster than everyone in the second Moto
They do have lap charts, check the mxgp link, there is a dropdown where you can choose lap chart http://results.mxgp.com/mxgp/standings.aspx
themrtoad
3/25/2018 11:27am
bsharkey wrote:
How bad were Sanayeis starts. I wish they had lap charts like in Supercross so you can see where the guys started and finished. It appears...
How bad were Sanayeis starts. I wish they had lap charts like in Supercross so you can see where the guys started and finished. It appears he had the fastest lap times for sure he was a full second faster than everyone in the second Moto
philG
3/25/2018 12:07pm
The MX2 races were interesting for sure.

In Moto 1 pretty much everyone stayed where they were off the start, apart from Sanayei and TKO.. everyone else just held station and that was it, lap times were very close, and it was just really hard to make up time... Covington was way back and just didnt make progress, like he would normally.

In Moto 2 Sanayei got a gate , and did something with it, and pushed Jonass as well as anyone else has so far this year.

I said Covington will never win a title, not because he isnt fast enough, but because he has days like this too often, and the class is too deep to get away with it.

Sanayei has looked fast all year so far , im really glad that him and Covington are here to have a go, like Moore and Healy and the like did back in the day , gives some interest both sides of the pond.
themrtoad
3/25/2018 12:37pm
philG wrote:
The MX2 races were interesting for sure. In Moto 1 pretty much everyone stayed where they were off the start, apart from Sanayei and TKO.. everyone...
The MX2 races were interesting for sure.

In Moto 1 pretty much everyone stayed where they were off the start, apart from Sanayei and TKO.. everyone else just held station and that was it, lap times were very close, and it was just really hard to make up time... Covington was way back and just didnt make progress, like he would normally.

In Moto 2 Sanayei got a gate , and did something with it, and pushed Jonass as well as anyone else has so far this year.

I said Covington will never win a title, not because he isnt fast enough, but because he has days like this too often, and the class is too deep to get away with it.

Sanayei has looked fast all year so far , im really glad that him and Covington are here to have a go, like Moore and Healy and the like did back in the day , gives some interest both sides of the pond.
Darian should have another 30 points if it wasn’t for mechanicals. He is riding great this year, biggest surprise so far I would say. Covington must have been sick or carrying an injury? This was a bad day even with his standards of bad days

The Shop

philG
3/25/2018 12:51pm
themrtoad wrote:
Darian should have another 30 points if it wasn’t for mechanicals. He is riding great this year, biggest surprise so far I would say. Covington must...
Darian should have another 30 points if it wasn’t for mechanicals. He is riding great this year, biggest surprise so far I would say. Covington must have been sick or carrying an injury? This was a bad day even with his standards of bad days
I know Covington had big knee surgery over the off season, and is short of bike time, which isnt helping.

Sanayei might have 30 points more, buts thats the way it is at DRT.. the bikes are fast, but fragile, Malin said on the broadcast that Sanayei is brutal on clutches, and the smoke at the end of races out of the breathers is a result of that .

Over the years , he has had Anstie, and Osborne, who are both notoriously hard are bikes , have issues, i guess he tries to build a bike that will stand the abuse, rather than having them stop breaking them for fun.

bsharkey
3/25/2018 12:52pm
Thanks guys ill check that out. I saw he had a 148 in lap 10 which was a full second faster than anyone else rode that entire Moto I'm glad to see that kid is coming into his own he's had potential for so long not sure what the missing piece of the puzzle was. Hopefully he has some better luck with his bikes holding together
bsharkey
3/25/2018 12:56pm
bsharkey wrote:
DP#201 wrote:
They do have lap charts, check the mxgp link, there is a dropdown where you can choose lap chart http://results.mxgp.com/mxgp/standings.aspx
Thanks for the info there's actually quite a bit of information on there I never knew about before I appreciate it
ruy
3/25/2018 2:21pm
themrtoad
3/25/2018 3:19pm
philG wrote:
I know Covington had big knee surgery over the off season, and is short of bike time, which isnt helping. Sanayei might have 30 points more...
I know Covington had big knee surgery over the off season, and is short of bike time, which isnt helping.

Sanayei might have 30 points more, buts thats the way it is at DRT.. the bikes are fast, but fragile, Malin said on the broadcast that Sanayei is brutal on clutches, and the smoke at the end of races out of the breathers is a result of that .

Over the years , he has had Anstie, and Osborne, who are both notoriously hard are bikes , have issues, i guess he tries to build a bike that will stand the abuse, rather than having them stop breaking them for fun.

Are they still 3speed? They seem pretty fragile, but it’s probably faster than all the other bikes from Japan. I know Covington did his knee, but this weekend was really ”off”. I think there must be something else also...
I really like Dixons team. They go their own way and are really unique. Hopefully less dnf rest of the season and Tommy can stay healthy
Sully
3/25/2018 4:54pm
Just watching the highlight video, I'd really like to see Jonas do what Herlings did last year, and come over to the States for at least one national. Same with Sanayei. Both of those guys are rippers.
Bidirella
3/26/2018 1:19am
I dont get why Herlings is going to stand next to Cairoli on the starting gate, you know he is a better starter and will come over to you and close the door. It happend both moto's and got him those starts.
themrtoad
3/26/2018 1:55am
philG wrote:
I know Covington had big knee surgery over the off season, and is short of bike time, which isnt helping. Sanayei might have 30 points more...

themrtoad wrote:
Are they still 3speed? They seem pretty fragile, but it’s probably faster than all the other bikes from Japan. I know Covington did his knee, but...
Are they still 3speed? They seem pretty fragile, but it’s probably faster than all the other bikes from Japan. I know Covington did his knee, but this weekend was really ”off”. I think there must be something else also...
I really like Dixons team. They go their own way and are really unique. Hopefully less dnf rest of the season and Tommy can stay healthy
philG -It seems you were right. I've read Covingtons comments from Red Sand and he claims it was just a bad weekend for no particular reasons.

From mxlarge
Thomas Covington: “It just hasn’t been a good weekend for me. I struggled to get a good race pace. The track here in Spain was super fast, which kind of made it hard to make passes. I struggled with my starts in both motos and that didn’t help get good results. In the second moto I also had a small crash which made things worse. It is what it is and we will continue working hard. We now have a small break and I’m looking forward to returning home to continue working. We have our eyes set on round four now in Italy hoping for some improved results there.”
roninho
3/26/2018 2:06am
PressPassP wrote:
Good grief...oh for 1 more lap
Fair play to Tony though,another awesome GP
Nah, he wouldn't have passed him within a lap. TC222 cruised the last lap because he was up 4 seconds. If it had been 2 laps to go he wouldnt have cruised.

Anyway, after this weekend i am much more positive on Herlings championship hopes. He can have an OK and a lousy start and he will still get a 2-2 finish quite 'easy'. And that on a track where it was hard to make a difference.
I'm not sure TC has the pace to get a 2-2 if he has an ok start and a fall.
themrtoad
3/26/2018 2:28am
roninho wrote:
Nah, he wouldn't have passed him within a lap. TC222 cruised the last lap because he was up 4 seconds. If it had been 2 laps...
Nah, he wouldn't have passed him within a lap. TC222 cruised the last lap because he was up 4 seconds. If it had been 2 laps to go he wouldnt have cruised.

Anyway, after this weekend i am much more positive on Herlings championship hopes. He can have an OK and a lousy start and he will still get a 2-2 finish quite 'easy'. And that on a track where it was hard to make a difference.
I'm not sure TC has the pace to get a 2-2 if he has an ok start and a fall.
I agree that the way Herlings got 2-2 is bad news for his competition. It was also good to see him accept 2-2 without trying to hard and crasching his brain out.

He needs to better his starts however. Not because he can't catch Tony, but because he exposes himself to so much more risks going through turn one in the pack, and having to overtake to catch Tony. It can bite him every time and result in an injury or dnf with bent up bike.

Therefore I still consider Tony the favourite for the title.
Crush
3/26/2018 2:36am
Super impressed with Saneyeyeieieiei
Cortami79
3/26/2018 3:13am
Man the way Herlings jumped in those corners, railing them and scrubbing the bike on every jump that way was really mindblowing to see. It was like he was racing a 85 for realLaughing . Many of you guys know it already, but the guy is really really hard for himself during training days in the week. His dad is a practice mechanic/coach for a rider that comes at our local club many times a year and he repeatedly tells us how he mucles his bike around at practice tracks during the week and thinks about nothing else than winning. Joel Smets even was surprised during their first weeks working together about his dedication for the sport (he had the same feeling about Coldenhoff, who in my eyes is an ideal 250 rider).

Anybody seen how Herlings really came in hot at Febvre during the motos? I know he is a hard guy to pass but those passes were really hard, although the second one in moto 2 was fair enough to keep him on two wheels. Desalle and Febvre had an interesting battle as well. What surprised me was that they could follow and lead (along with Paulin) for 3/4th of the race, but then finished 30 seconds behind them in the end. Gives you an idea about the unbelievable pace these guys have during the moto.

Probs to Cairoli for winning the GP though, he really steps up his game every year with the 'young' guys. He had some uncharacteristic mistakes here and there, but that was probably because he was riding on the limit like everyone else.

philG
3/26/2018 4:46am
themrtoad wrote:
Are they still 3speed? They seem pretty fragile, but it’s probably faster than all the other bikes from Japan. I know Covington did his knee, but...
Yes , I think so . the 250 Tommy Searle rode at MXoN was a 3 speed, and he killed the clutch in the mud in 3 laps because the gearing is so tall, so you either have to ruin the clutch( which he did) or have it on the limiter in 3rd all the time on the fast bits. I raced a 3 speed bike in 99, and even a 500 that revved and revved was either too tall at the bottom or too short at the top.

Steve Dixon has the facilities to do his own stuff, he takes the 'because we can' to the limit.
themrtoad
3/26/2018 6:02am
What are the biggest pros with a 3speed? It says itself it will put a lot of stress on the clutch, specially on a 250f.
Less weight? what else?

If you are alone with an idea year after year it might not be a good idea..?
crusty_xx
Fantasy
156th
3/26/2018 8:27am
themrtoad wrote:
What are the biggest pros with a 3speed? It says itself it will put a lot of stress on the clutch, specially on a 250f. Less...
What are the biggest pros with a 3speed? It says itself it will put a lot of stress on the clutch, specially on a 250f.
Less weight? what else?

Less weight and more importantly less rotational mass. I guess.
Also it should help off the start. Which is weird because Sanayei has been pretty slow off the starts.

Didn't Tim Ferry have a 3-speed Yamaha one year? On a 426 I believe

Osborne and Ferris also raced the 3-speed bikes for Dixon (Yamaha back then).

philG
3/26/2018 9:53am
themrtoad wrote:
What are the biggest pros with a 3speed? It says itself it will put a lot of stress on the clutch, specially on a 250f. Less...
Less weight? what else?

crusty_xx wrote:
Less weight and more importantly less rotational mass. I guess. Also it should help off the start. Which is weird because Sanayei has been pretty slow...
Less weight and more importantly less rotational mass. I guess.
Also it should help off the start. Which is weird because Sanayei has been pretty slow off the starts.

Didn't Tim Ferry have a 3-speed Yamaha one year? On a 426 I believe

Osborne and Ferris also raced the 3-speed bikes for Dixon (Yamaha back then).

My understanding is that you can get bigger gears with better dogs on them,not sure if they are Xtrac gears or not. My 3 speed just didnt have 1st and 5th, with neutral at the bottom, so you dont have that 1st to 2nd throw.. they could just be running much better gear that are peened, and obviously superfinished.
You will be losing the gears you dont need, plus the rotating mass.

You have to be spot on with the gearing, at Canada Heights here in the UK , the start used to to be uphill and reasonably short , on a normal bike, you would start in 2nd , and shift to 3rd briefly, i could run 1st all the way to the first turn , and if you got the jump, you pulled 1/4 of a bike length by not having to shift , which was enough to get a decent advantage.

I am in the process of restoring the bike, so it will be nice to see what it goes like when its done, the tracks have changed a lot in the 20 years since it was built.
crusty_xx
Fantasy
156th
3/26/2018 10:04am
kongols wrote:
Jonass KTM has 3 speed.
Blink really? That would explain his good starts
Do they replace the "missing" gears with plastic gears or somehow with spacers? Because afaik the bikes need to run the gearing according to the bike that was homologated (or maybe that's in the US but I remember reading that somewhere).
Can't say they brake a rule when there are two plastic gears that are never used
philG
3/26/2018 10:23am
Doesnt matter in GP's .. no homologation at all
themrtoad
3/26/2018 11:44am
kongols wrote:
Jonass KTM has 3 speed.
Well, hats off for Steve Dixon seems he is being copied by the most succesful MX2 team in the paddock. How sure are you?

Post a reply to: MXGP of Valencia (Spain ) Raceday

The Latest