811 Adam Sterry GBR ACU Kawasaki F&H Racing Team
919 Ben Watson GBR ACU Yamaha Monster Energy Kemea Yamaha
959 Maxime Renaux FRA FFM Yamaha Yamaha SM Action - M.C. Migliori
|
Last Braaap
Fantasy
4250th
7/2/2019 1:55am
Where is Tommy Searle? Shouldn't he be on the list with baller Factory Kawi?
Dropbear
7/2/2019 1:57am
Would have been good to get some more of the top Australian riders there.
DeStouwer
7/2/2019 2:04am Edited Date/Time 7/2/2019 4:55am
Where is Tommy Searle? Shouldn't he be on the list with baller Factory Kawi?
Kawasaki wants him to be competitive and give him time to adapt and to adjust the bike. He'll be on the gate from the GP of Czech Republic.

And, it was impossible to ship the bike to Indonesia on time on such a short notice.
Last Braaap
Fantasy
4250th
7/2/2019 2:24am
DeStouwer wrote:
Kawasaki wants him to be competitive and give him time to adapt and to adjust the bike. He'll be on the gate from the GP of...
Kawasaki wants him to be competitive and give him time to adapt and to adjust the bike. He'll be on the gate from the GP of Czech Republic.

And, it was impossible to ship the bike to Indonesia on time on such a short notice.
Oh, thanks for info kind sir. Still only 18 regular guys on the gate in MXGP...

The Shop

7/2/2019 4:07am
What’s the point in going to these places? To grow the sport there? Hate these flyaway races, tracks are rubbish, low gate numbers & no crowds. Zero atmosphere.
ATKpilot99
7/2/2019 4:50am
What’s the point in going to these places? To grow the sport there? Hate these flyaway races, tracks are rubbish, low gate numbers & no crowds...
What’s the point in going to these places? To grow the sport there? Hate these flyaway races, tracks are rubbish, low gate numbers & no crowds. Zero atmosphere.
So you feel the entire series should be on the European continent?
ayearinmx
7/2/2019 5:06am Edited Date/Time 7/2/2019 5:11am
What’s the point in going to these places? To grow the sport there? Hate these flyaway races, tracks are rubbish, low gate numbers & no crowds...
You are most definitely wrong on three of those counts for Semarang next week. Track is great, the crowd is good and the atmosphere is pretty cool too, in a different way from standard European rounds

Can't comment on this weekend as I haven't got to the track yet but the idea we should keep it all in Europe is just selfish and denies other countries the opportunity to host these races. Especially countries whose motorbike sales dwarf 99% of the planet. I do agree that it would be great if more riders went or more Anzac riders were drafted in though. And I do think it's a good idea that the Indonesian riders have 3 separate classes
Bearuno
7/2/2019 5:56am
ayearinmx wrote:
You are most definitely wrong on three of those counts for Semarang next week. Track is great, the crowd is good and the atmosphere is pretty...
You are most definitely wrong on three of those counts for Semarang next week. Track is great, the crowd is good and the atmosphere is pretty cool too, in a different way from standard European rounds

Can't comment on this weekend as I haven't got to the track yet but the idea we should keep it all in Europe is just selfish and denies other countries the opportunity to host these races. Especially countries whose motorbike sales dwarf 99% of the planet. I do agree that it would be great if more riders went or more Anzac riders were drafted in though. And I do think it's a good idea that the Indonesian riders have 3 separate classes
ayearinmx is right.

I've been to all of the Indonesian GPs so far ( it's very affordable for Australians - more should bloody well get off their arses and go) and each was well attended, and the Pankal Penang track was not bad - the big f**ck up with that the first time was that a bit of the track was at about water table height, so, when it pissed down, it ( the water) had nowhere to go.

Semarang is a pearler of a track. And, had a great, enthusiastic crowd.

No idea of the new track. Looks to be in front of a big complex of some type.

Indonesia has monumental Motorcycle sales. And, a lot of the public, love bikes, and are a damned sight more interested than most of 'We' are, in the established (shrinking) markets. Motocross races don't just sell Motocross bikes - they sell the Brand as a whole. Well, racing of all types, does just that. If it's ( racings) influence was just strictly on sales relating to it's particular 'side' of the sport/ participation, well, factories wouldn't bother.

All the factories support going to Indo, hell, have a squizz at the slogans on the Honda and Yamaha Road Race teams leathers and bikes - I think a few of the largest are in Indonesian.

I'm not going this year, as my Crazy Old Mum just came back from OS, and is very ill, and I'm the one to take care of her. There's a slim chance I might get to Semarang ( everything is paid for), but, family comes first, always.

ayearinmx - I only 'clocked' your pm a day ago. Thanks for the invo, I hope to take you up on it sometime. Though, I've had a bit of a 'nosh', curtesy of the big H, a few times now. I might get to a later Euro round or two, or China. Or, MXDN. But, getting away is a bit iffy at the moment, with family health issues, and my being on a few operations waiting lists WoohooUnsure , so, I might not get anywhere soon.

DeStouwer
7/2/2019 6:35am
Well, we're just a bit "unlucky" with the injuries. 14 GP-regulars are on the entry list. Nagl, Desalle, Lieber, Herlings, Paturel, Lupino, Simpson, Bobryshev and Butrón are injured or recovering. Searle is taking time to test his new Kawi, and some smaller teams choose to stay at home (Tixier, Strijbos, Brylyakov, Gole,...).

So normally we'd have around 25-28 riders if everyone was fit.
7/2/2019 7:11am
DeStouwer wrote:
Well, we're just a bit "unlucky" with the injuries. 14 GP-regulars are on the entry list. Nagl, Desalle, Lieber, Herlings, Paturel, Lupino, Simpson, Bobryshev and Butrón...
Well, we're just a bit "unlucky" with the injuries. 14 GP-regulars are on the entry list. Nagl, Desalle, Lieber, Herlings, Paturel, Lupino, Simpson, Bobryshev and Butrón are injured or recovering. Searle is taking time to test his new Kawi, and some smaller teams choose to stay at home (Tixier, Strijbos, Brylyakov, Gole,...).

So normally we'd have around 25-28 riders if everyone was fit.
At least Watson's back in MX2.
7/2/2019 7:57am
ATKpilot99 wrote:
Didn’t say it shouldn’t only stay in Europe. Why can’t the GP’s go to USA, Japan, Australia or Canada where they have a decent National series with quality wild cards, on well established tracks rather than the man made ones they go to.
500guy
7/2/2019 7:57am
I don't care where they race as long as the top 15-20 guys are there and the Feed on MXGP TV works.
ATKpilot99
7/2/2019 8:30am Edited Date/Time 7/2/2019 8:31am
ATKpilot99 wrote:
Didn’t say it shouldn’t only stay in Europe. Why can’t the GP’s go to USA, Japan, Australia or Canada where they have a decent National series...
Didn’t say it shouldn’t only stay in Europe. Why can’t the GP’s go to USA, Japan, Australia or Canada where they have a decent National series with quality wild cards, on well established tracks rather than the man made ones they go to.
Glad you think we have a decent national series. Wink Recent USGPs haven't drawn the desired crowd. Don't know about the other places you mentioned.
7/2/2019 11:55am
ATKpilot99 wrote:
Didn’t say it shouldn’t only stay in Europe. Why can’t the GP’s go to USA, Japan, Australia or Canada where they have a decent National series...
Tbh the attendance will probably be higher in Indonesia than at a USGP.
Last Braaap
Fantasy
4250th
7/2/2019 12:49pm
Tbh the attendance will probably be higher in Indonesia than at a USGP.
That's true. But i doubt they are able to scream "Red Buuuuuuud!!!" properly. So i prefer quality over quantity.
Cortami79
7/2/2019 11:44pm
Chanceability Cairoli races?
Haven't seen any injury updates unfortunately
7/3/2019 2:31am Edited Date/Time 7/3/2019 2:33am
Cairoli is indeed out for both of the Asian rounds. Sad
brlatm
7/3/2019 2:59am
Bike sales in general in SE Asia, Singapore, and Indonesia dwarf what we sell in the US. I'm not talking MX I'm talking bikes in general. I can walk out of my hotel right now in Hanoi and be creamed by 1000's of motorcycles just walking to the Opera House. They vastly sell more than autos here, as they are cheap and economical. I can see the appeal for wanting to host an MXGP over here.
Park Boys
Fantasy
53rd
7/3/2019 6:38am
brlatm wrote:
Bike sales in general in SE Asia, Singapore, and Indonesia dwarf what we sell in the US. I'm not talking MX I'm talking bikes in general...
Bike sales in general in SE Asia, Singapore, and Indonesia dwarf what we sell in the US. I'm not talking MX I'm talking bikes in general. I can walk out of my hotel right now in Hanoi and be creamed by 1000's of motorcycles just walking to the Opera House. They vastly sell more than autos here, as they are cheap and economical. I can see the appeal for wanting to host an MXGP over here.
I would like to know from a nerd perspective a break down in CCs and sales. I.E in Indonesia what perceantage of motorcycles sold are under 250cc. Would be great if stats like this exist somewhere.
Bearuno
7/3/2019 7:50am
brlatm wrote:
Bike sales in general in SE Asia, Singapore, and Indonesia dwarf what we sell in the US. I'm not talking MX I'm talking bikes in general...
Park Boys wrote:
I would like to know from a nerd perspective a break down in CCs and sales. I.E in Indonesia what perceantage of motorcycles sold are under...
I would like to know from a nerd perspective a break down in CCs and sales. I.E in Indonesia what perceantage of motorcycles sold are under 250cc. Would be great if stats like this exist somewhere.
I'd say the vast majority would be under 250cc.

And, per unit, they would have a far higher percentage of profit to the sale, than large capacity , expensive motorcycles. And, especially, small run, rapid development MCs such as the modern MXer / Dirt Bike.

And, that higher percentage profit, being multiplied by the near 7 million motorcycles that the Indonesian market sells / buys each year, means Big Bucks, and, that Markets ( the third largest in the World, with sales growth, currently, of 15% annually) Huge importance to manufacturers. Motorcycle sales in Indonesia outsell cars, six to one. With reference to brlatm and his comments on Vietnam : approximately 3million bikes a year were sold in that country the last year. These sales stats come from the recent article on the health of the Industry in the bi-weekly magazine, Australian Motorcycle News, Vol 68, #25, 20th June - 3rd July.

You're on a computer to post here, so, you, or anyone else, can research sales breakdowns of Motorcycle Markets, If you choose to enlighten yourself.
roninho
7/3/2019 9:33am Edited Date/Time 7/3/2019 9:33am
Bearuno, you think those small mopeds have a bigger margin %?
I have no idea if it has or not.

My first instinct would say they will have a lower margin because i would expect the majority of those small bikes are in cost competition, not quality competition.
DeStouwer
7/5/2019 12:00am
Seems like it could become a mudder...
Ray_MXS
7/5/2019 2:22am
DeStouwer wrote:
Seems like it could become a mudder...
Shocker LaughingLaughingLaughing
Bearuno
7/5/2019 2:49am Edited Date/Time 7/5/2019 3:14am
roninho wrote:
Bearuno, you think those small mopeds have a bigger margin %? I have no idea if it has or not. My first instinct would say they...
Bearuno, you think those small mopeds have a bigger margin %?
I have no idea if it has or not.

My first instinct would say they will have a lower margin because i would expect the majority of those small bikes are in cost competition, not quality competition.
Economies of Scale , roninho. Production in huge, vast number numbers. Go check the definition of Economies of Scale, and you'll see that margins can be pretty bloody good, with BIG production levels.

Put into your computer Yamaha Indonesia. You'll see just the tip of the iceberg of what's available in little bikes. From just the One manufacturer. I've charged around Indonesia (and Singapore) on a few big wheeled scooters, that were like, or perhaps were, the 'MX King 150'. Awesome little things - watercooled 150cc / 155cc 4ts, single shock rear, 17" wheels, good brakes : nothing to do with MX, but marketed using the MX moniker and 'MX coolness'. Then, check out the MT15- Naked style, 155cc FI with Variable Valve Actuation (and that motor is in a few of the more 'Scooter' type models) . I'd love one for a runabout around Sydney. I'd say it might just shit on the Bear Family Postie Bike.

To the event : some pictures of the venue , taken from the site so many hate - MXLarge. It's a 'pop up' track, right in front of a Hotel or Mall. And, not a bad looking track. No, it's no 'classic', it's on a Pala / Fox, WW Ranch level pretty much instantly though, and, it's about a zillion times better track than any SX track.

The Hotel / Mall, or whatthebloodyever it is, that the track is plonked down in front of:

Yup, it could be wet. It's South East Asia, boys and girls, you Melt down, then it Buckets down, then you Melt down again. And, at times, it repeats, ever and anon.

Really bummed I'm not there. Crossing all my fingers and toes that I can get to Semarang next week.
ayearinmx
7/5/2019 11:13pm
It hammered down for about 10 minutes yesterday. Real jungle rain. Nothing so far today but it has threatened to... Fingers crossed it holds off
ayearinmx
7/6/2019 12:16am Edited Date/Time 7/6/2019 12:18am
And here comes the rain...

Post a reply to: MXGP of Asia - July 13-14

The Latest