MXGP/MXoN help......

Related:
Create New Tag

6/24/2018 11:06 PM

I can’t remember the year, but it was a huge debacle. I think Pala or some place in California was supposed to host the MXoN and it all fell through right before it was supposed to happen. I think they wound up running an MXGP and a lot of the big names for the US didn’t attend. I remember there were some insane Booters and it was the 1st time Cairoli and Alessi went head to head.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

|

“Let the Good Times Roll”

6/24/2018 11:31 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/24/2018 11:32 PM

You've combined a few memories there.. I can't remember the years, but the des Nations mix up ended with a world race of sorts at Glen Helen that team Australia actually won..
But Cairoli and Alessi raced years later at a GP at Glen Helen both on 350's

|

why am I reading this? ..... Oh christ, now I'm posting...... shiiiiiiiit!!

6/24/2018 11:36 PM

jemcee wrote:

You've combined a few memories there.. I can't remember the years, but the des Nations mix up ended with a world race of sorts at Glen Helen that team Australia actually won..
But Cairoli and Alessi raced years later at a GP at Glen Helen both on 350's

Yeah, I was thinking it was SUPPOSED to be the MXoN, but when I look at history of the MXoN, there are no gaps. I wish I could remember better. I only remember riders for other countries were showing up to a track with locked gates or something. Some other track opened its gates and organized something, I just can’t remember.

|

6/24/2018 11:42 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/24/2018 11:44 PM

Just had a quick look myself.. Pretty interesting reading in this
Number 7
Strange des Nations Happenings

Oh and the Cairoli Alessi race was 2010 if that's the race you were talking about (With the classic holeshot photo)

|

why am I reading this? ..... Oh christ, now I'm posting...... shiiiiiiiit!!

6/25/2018 2:18 AM

jemcee wrote:

Number 7

Oh and the Cairoli Alessi race was 2010 if that's the race you were talking about (With the classic holeshot photo)

Yeah 2010 Glen Helen, Cairoli beat Alessi with broken shift lever
https://results.mxgp.com/mxgp/standings.aspx

|

18 Yamaha YZ450F
94 Honda CR 500
90 Honda CR 500
81 Yamaha SR 500
68 BSA Thunderbolt
69 Triumph Tiger 100

6/25/2018 5:54 AM

jemcee wrote:

Number 7

Thanks! I never would have guessed 2002. I was thinking it was 2006’ish. Here is the full story.

https://vault.racerxonline.com/2002/mx/intro

|

6/25/2018 7:11 AM

The race was supposed to be held at a track in San Jacento and the promoters flaked and Glen Helen stepped up with help from Greg Primm and several other people and they held what was called The World Cup.

|