MXGP Lommel

St Ann More
8/8/2017 1:38pm Edited Date/Time 8/8/2017 1:40pm
Rowlands wrote:
Looking back I think Herlings has Cairoli well covered in the sand speed wise. Does anybody think that if there start roles where reversed AC would...
Looking back I think Herlings has Cairoli well covered in the sand speed wise. Does anybody think that if there start roles where reversed AC would be able to catch JH ?

AC still the king for me though and I'm sure he wants as many GP wins as possible. If he knows he is faster than anybody in front he's going to go by !
Like you, I think Herlings has him covered.

I think Ottobiano is a black mark in the book, he's generally had the upper hand over Cairoli in the softer stuff.

St Ann More
8/8/2017 1:45pm
philG wrote:
AC couldnt run the pace. . He tried but wasnt able.. he tried to rattle JH by taking his front wheel a couple of times, but...
AC couldnt run the pace. . He tried but wasnt able.. he tried to rattle JH by taking his front wheel a couple of times, but i think he tried , and the lap times show it.. JH wanted to break him early and did just that. Great race.. looking forward to Swiss GP evem more now.
Cairoli was faster in three of the first five laps and set a lap time basically a full second faster than anything Herlings had done all...
Cairoli was faster in three of the first five laps and set a lap time basically a full second faster than anything Herlings had done all weekend bar free practice on Saturday. Moving onto lap 10 and Cairoli was still within 2 seconds of Herlings, he lost time with backmarkers later that lap, tried to pick it up again on lap 11 and chucked the towel in on lap 12. That's breaking him early?

The Swiss GP should be good but what will likely change? Cairoli doesn't need to win, doesn't need to fight 100%. If it was a points chase, different story, but 2nd place is 99 points down. It's lost it's luster, it's over. We're hanging on to Herlings getting poor starts, the pride of Cairoli to fight or Gasjer and Febvre stepping up to make it interesting.

Roll on 2018, until then there's gonna be a bunch of had the 2017 championship started at x, the points would be...
philG wrote:
Herlings has been a slow burner , doesnt go almost till it its too late.. He passed AC straight away in both races, and AC didt...
Herlings has been a slow burner , doesnt go almost till it its too late.. He passed AC straight away in both races, and AC didt have owt in race 1 and in race 2 he went after JH but couldnt stay there. He didnt look comfy, Herlings was on rails.. was there trackside , JH had the upper hand AC was hanging on.
First broke him early, now slow burner. Both very different.

line-up
8/8/2017 1:45pm
Cairoli on Lommel

“Fighting with Jeffrey, who is one of the fastest guys on this kind of soil, was fun and I enjoyed it a lot. I had a good race going with him and my team mate Glen during the first race, but right now I need to be looking at the points and I didn’t want to get into any crazy stuff as the end of the season is not far off! Jeffrey was definitely more motivated than me to win here as I need to be looking more at the bigger picture. For me it was more important to increase my lead in the championship than try anything silly going for the win.”
Sodipop
8/8/2017 1:55pm
line-up wrote:
Cairoli on Lommel “Fighting with Jeffrey, who is one of the fastest guys on this kind of soil, was fun and I enjoyed it a lot...
Cairoli on Lommel

“Fighting with Jeffrey, who is one of the fastest guys on this kind of soil, was fun and I enjoyed it a lot. I had a good race going with him and my team mate Glen during the first race, but right now I need to be looking at the points and I didn’t want to get into any crazy stuff as the end of the season is not far off! Jeffrey was definitely more motivated than me to win here as I need to be looking more at the bigger picture. For me it was more important to increase my lead in the championship than try anything silly going for the win.”
That's cool. I've never heard Cairoli admit he got straight up beat without planting little seeds and caveats that could definitely be construed as excuses.

I watched cairoli look ragged in both the qualifying race even to the point of some pretty borderline dirty moves in the motos trying to stay with herlings.

The Shop

8/8/2017 2:12pm Edited Date/Time 8/8/2017 2:15pm
Here he said he wanted it only 90% haha ... if i wanted ...yeah right .

MX Vice: Great riding, obviously, that was your normal speed in the sand. You were on it. You did not win, and we could see that you really wanted that, so I guess you’re not exactly happy.

Antonio Cairoli: I didn’t really want it. If I wanted it, I [would have] kept pushing until the last lap. I decided that it was getting very risky. He wanted it 110% and I wanted it 90%. He was getting quite close and we passed each other a lot of times. If you are not completely fit and focused, easily you can crash hard on this kind of track. I decided to give up after twenty-five minutes. I wasn’t feeling so strong to keep fighting him for thirty minutes, but the speed was there. I had to look for the championship. I don’t want really crash and do something stupid.

Maybe if I don’t have the points lead I would have given it 110% also and maybe taken some risks more. But, for sure, he’s born in the sand. He is one of the fastest guys in the sand. This year I prefer to give more training on the hard-pack and you see the results too, because I won at Loket. I won at a lot of hard-pack races also. Maybe I rode Lommel three or four times this year. I should ride more if I want to win this race. He is every day on the sand. Hat’s off to him – he was riding very good. Looking forward for Switzerland next week.
Aryen
8/8/2017 2:25pm
There is and always has been one threat in Cairolis life and it's a young Dutch guy called Jeffrey.

- stay down in MX2 as long as possible
- not on the same team in MXGP
- half ass interviews about what happened when he lost.

See a pattern?
8/8/2017 2:29pm
Here he said he wanted it only 90% haha ... if i wanted ...yeah right . MX Vice: Great riding, obviously, that was your normal speed...
Here he said he wanted it only 90% haha ... if i wanted ...yeah right .

MX Vice: Great riding, obviously, that was your normal speed in the sand. You were on it. You did not win, and we could see that you really wanted that, so I guess you’re not exactly happy.

Antonio Cairoli: I didn’t really want it. If I wanted it, I [would have] kept pushing until the last lap. I decided that it was getting very risky. He wanted it 110% and I wanted it 90%. He was getting quite close and we passed each other a lot of times. If you are not completely fit and focused, easily you can crash hard on this kind of track. I decided to give up after twenty-five minutes. I wasn’t feeling so strong to keep fighting him for thirty minutes, but the speed was there. I had to look for the championship. I don’t want really crash and do something stupid.

Maybe if I don’t have the points lead I would have given it 110% also and maybe taken some risks more. But, for sure, he’s born in the sand. He is one of the fastest guys in the sand. This year I prefer to give more training on the hard-pack and you see the results too, because I won at Loket. I won at a lot of hard-pack races also. Maybe I rode Lommel three or four times this year. I should ride more if I want to win this race. He is every day on the sand. Hat’s off to him – he was riding very good. Looking forward for Switzerland next week.
Cairoli and endless excuses.. Nothing new really.
lucas-vh
8/8/2017 8:43pm
Cairoli was making a disgusting amount of mistakes the last quarter of the race. definitely was completely gas'd.
8/8/2017 11:34pm
Cairoli started thinking about the points about 20 minutes in to the second moto when he realised he wasn't catching Herlings. Otherwise he wouldn't have gone after him in the quali race on saturday. Or in the first moto. And he wouldn't definitely have started blocking Herlings in the second moto. Not buying it.
DeStouwer
8/8/2017 11:34pm
He said he gave up because Herlings was faster. I see no excuses.
8/9/2017 12:42am
DeStouwer wrote:
He said he gave up because Herlings was faster. I see no excuses.
He said he gave up because he "didn't really want it".
philG
8/9/2017 12:59am
First broke him early, now slow burner. Both very different.

At other races... not this one.. he went straight from the start which he hasnt done .
tommyjif
8/9/2017 3:08am
EnvyMedia wrote:
Excuses?
Sure, as always, because a Guy who won 8 world championships and is winning his 9th needs them :D
Cairoli is always straightforward: he says hearing was faster because he was more motivated. It is not an excuse, it's a fact (also given the fact that the best lap time was AC's).

And one last note about the championship: if we calculate points from Latvia, where JH went 1-1, Tony would still be leading the championship now Wink
8/9/2017 3:20am
EnvyMedia wrote:
tommyjif wrote:
Excuses? Sure, as always, because a Guy who won 8 world championships and is winning his 9th needs them :D Cairoli is always straightforward: he says...
Excuses?
Sure, as always, because a Guy who won 8 world championships and is winning his 9th needs them :D
Cairoli is always straightforward: he says hearing was faster because he was more motivated. It is not an excuse, it's a fact (also given the fact that the best lap time was AC's).

And one last note about the championship: if we calculate points from Latvia, where JH went 1-1, Tony would still be leading the championship now Wink
Saying you didn't win because you didn't want it enough sounds like a pretty bold excuse to me. His succes is undeniable, but every time he's not on top of the box he simply says he's managing a championship or not giving it his all. It was pretty obvious he was giving his 100% in Lommel, even risking crashing by using the entire track to keep a rider behind him (something he rarely does). Then to say you didn't win because you didn't really wanted to sounds like a bold excuse.
8/9/2017 5:57am
EnvyMedia wrote:
Saying you didn't win because you didn't want it enough sounds like a pretty bold excuse to me. His succes is undeniable, but every time he's...
Saying you didn't win because you didn't want it enough sounds like a pretty bold excuse to me. His succes is undeniable, but every time he's not on top of the box he simply says he's managing a championship or not giving it his all. It was pretty obvious he was giving his 100% in Lommel, even risking crashing by using the entire track to keep a rider behind him (something he rarely does). Then to say you didn't win because you didn't really wanted to sounds like a bold excuse.
Or he didn't want it as much as Herlings....there is a difference.
One has a big championship lead to maintain, the other was in front of his home crowd and trying to make up every point possible. Could he have beaten Herlings...doubtful, did he back it down...yep.

Post a reply to: MXGP Lommel

The Latest