MXGP. Is it healthy?

Cortami79
Edited Date/Time 5/31/2018 4:52am
After receiving the news of 8Biano Husqvarna closing his doors, I just read that Cervelin parted ways with Martin Honda. These things make me scratch my head. How is it possible that certain riders (whom are talented enough to ride the world championship) have to choose to ride national championships instead of the MXGP races worldwide. It is just unbelievable that riders that can ride top 15 in a world championship on any occassion, can't earn their money with these results. If you look at risks they take versus the reward, it is just crazy.

Nowadays if you aren't a factory rider, you can better ride the French, ADAC or English championships and ride selected GP's.. It is just plain silly man. On top of that, seeing great 250 riders jumping 'back' to the EMX250 because of the age limit is just beyond crazy. What are your thoughts about these things? How healthy is the MXGP championship with all those overseas races? How is it possible that a riders like Jasikonis, who had his first podium last year at the age of 19 can't get a great paying ride and has to get race-by-race sponsors in order to keep racing the championship?

Don't get me too wrong. The infrastructure of the tracks, pit presentation and overall atmosphere at these races is beyond amazing and I absolutely love going to the GP's. (Something the AMA nationals could improve in my honest opinion). But it really affects the paychecks of the riders. You can say what you want, but nowadays paying €1000-1500 to ride a GP instead of receiving that amount as prize money back in the 90's hurts the riders really much..
|
hillbilly
5/24/2018 12:26pm
A lot of the tracks have more furniture alongside than any lickskillet raceway i rode on.
Excaliburbmx
5/24/2018 12:29pm
The expense of travel just so they can call it a world title is laughable.

Having races in Mexico and only half the field shows up isn’t as important as having them in neutral locations so more riders can attend from several countries in the region.

5/24/2018 12:45pm
You go where you can to make money. Alessi races in Canada. A lot of the french guys seem to race UK Arenacross, German SX, French SX. Ferris is racing in Aus again. Pourcel was racing in Canada. Brayton does U.S. SX and Aus SX. I have no clue what a national series in a European country pays but I know it pays more than the GP's do! There's more than one way to make money in this sport. Why do it the hard way taking massive pay cuts to place 15th when you can make just as much, if not more, doing another series somewhere else?

Arenacross folding is a perfect example of guys being forced to go somewhere else. Take top guys in that series and put them in 15th in SX series making no money and getting no bonuses. It won't last long.
5/24/2018 12:53pm
Speaking from the host of one of the farthest races in the calendar (Patagonia) it gives people all around the world an opportunity to witness the Elites doing their best.

It probably does make little sense to everyone but the factory teams, but it broadens the audience and can open new markets.

Motocross was HUGE in Argentina back in the eighties/early nineties. Then it kind of faded away. Thanks to the Dakar and MXGP there was a resurgence of the sport. That translates to sales.

On the other hand it is a great opportunity for host countries to showcase themselves as vacation/adventure destinations and -at least in Argentina- tourist-promotion funds poured big amounts of money to get races to come to this end of the world (We had the Dakar, MXGP, WRC, Formula-e, MotoGP, to name a few).

I guess you can't call it a "world championship" if you don't race around the world...

Closing note: The Dakar is gone from Argentina in 2019, and MXGP will probably follow suit. It makes little sense to bring the whole circus to South America for a single race (years prior there was another one in Brazil). That'll be a shame.

The Shop

Nas
5/24/2018 12:55pm Edited Date/Time 5/24/2018 12:56pm
The starting fees are a big factor too... I mean paying 1000euros, just to line up in the MXGP is way to much.
Especially when taking into consideration that the reward is split only between the first 3 guys (if I remember correctly) and even that is just silly how small it is. Price to line up in MX2 is 500 euros, in the 125s 250euro, not quite sure about the EMX250...

I can see how the riders just don't see the point in racing without some sort of a factory support. For example ADAC pays higher rewards to top 5 riders and has a lot lower starting fee if I'm not mistaken, so why bother with the whole mxgp thing...
Bidirella
5/24/2018 1:01pm
Take a look at the Belgium Jens Getteman, he can get points at every MXGP but is racing for a German team in Germany. Doing the ADAC Masters and the normal German championship on a 250 and 450. Getting paid 25 euro a point and having allot of 1-1 so far this year. 1250 euro a races and with 12 to 14 races a year is a good 15.000. Then he still have the ADAC masters and the team deal and sponsors. So he would double that up for sure. Not counting the supercross racing he is doing in winter time.

It is not super big, but still allot better then riding for Free a MXGP season or a 9 to 5 job.
Paul333
5/24/2018 1:14pm
I think MXGP racing looks healthy for the casual observer: simply outstanding racing from world class talented riders, flashy media campaign, great TV coverage, and outstanding race commentating. The FIM/Youthstream have not done a thing to improve the racing, that's all credit to the riders/teams themselves. The rest is easy to do when FIM/Youthstream are making such huge profits. The teams however and certainly the riders outside the top 3-5 are not doing so well. The lack of race purse, series points fund, or start money, heavy fees for teams to even be allowed into the sport, excessive race day fees for riders/teams, Zero travel/expense money for teams even though there are an excessive amount of "Fly Away Races" on the other side of the world, it all adds up. It isn't good for a sport to drive out its historic tracks in favor of third world fair ground tracks simply because they can charge outrageous sanctioning fees the old tracks cannot afford or are unwilling to pay. All this does is hurt the sport while putting more money in Youthstreams pocket. Hint: It's called corruption.

The FIM/Youthstream certainly isn't going make less money to help the sport. They have proven that many times.

kaptkaos
5/24/2018 1:20pm
I thought it was healthy for the first 3 races....

Unless Herlings breaks a leg its just going to be boring as hell.
Marcello10
5/24/2018 1:27pm
Cervellin parted ways with the Martin Racing Technology team only to join the Yamaha SM Action Mc. team in the MX2 class with immediate effect, it has never been in his plans to leave the world championship
Cortami79
5/24/2018 1:32pm
Marcello10 wrote:
Cervellin parted ways with the Martin Racing Technology team only to join the Yamaha SM Action Mc. team in the MX2 class with immediate effect, it...
Cervellin parted ways with the Martin Racing Technology team only to join the Yamaha SM Action Mc. team in the MX2 class with immediate effect, it has never been in his plans to leave the world championship
Allright I didn't know that. But probably because they will pay him better right? He just had a podium at Russia.
Cortami79
5/24/2018 1:34pm
Speaking from the host of one of the farthest races in the calendar (Patagonia) it gives people all around the world an opportunity to witness the...
Speaking from the host of one of the farthest races in the calendar (Patagonia) it gives people all around the world an opportunity to witness the Elites doing their best.

It probably does make little sense to everyone but the factory teams, but it broadens the audience and can open new markets.

Motocross was HUGE in Argentina back in the eighties/early nineties. Then it kind of faded away. Thanks to the Dakar and MXGP there was a resurgence of the sport. That translates to sales.

On the other hand it is a great opportunity for host countries to showcase themselves as vacation/adventure destinations and -at least in Argentina- tourist-promotion funds poured big amounts of money to get races to come to this end of the world (We had the Dakar, MXGP, WRC, Formula-e, MotoGP, to name a few).

I guess you can't call it a "world championship" if you don't race around the world...

Closing note: The Dakar is gone from Argentina in 2019, and MXGP will probably follow suit. It makes little sense to bring the whole circus to South America for a single race (years prior there was another one in Brazil). That'll be a shame.
Thank you for the information. But the last paragraph bothers me, no Argentina GP in 2019?
Prejump
5/24/2018 1:34pm
Its an elitist model. Not perfect by any means.

The MXGP is all about the factory teams & bringing them the exposure they need.

Not only has the business model changed & world has changed. Travel costs are very high, 4 stroke tuning to be competitive, it all goes against the journey man or small team.

Really privateer efforts are about national or euro series, MXGP is about the factory teams. Will mean less riders but if were being honest most people only care about the top riders.
Cortami79
5/24/2018 1:36pm
Bidirella wrote:
Take a look at the Belgium Jens Getteman, he can get points at every MXGP but is racing for a German team in Germany. Doing the...
Take a look at the Belgium Jens Getteman, he can get points at every MXGP but is racing for a German team in Germany. Doing the ADAC Masters and the normal German championship on a 250 and 450. Getting paid 25 euro a point and having allot of 1-1 so far this year. 1250 euro a races and with 12 to 14 races a year is a good 15.000. Then he still have the ADAC masters and the team deal and sponsors. So he would double that up for sure. Not counting the supercross racing he is doing in winter time.

It is not super big, but still allot better then riding for Free a MXGP season or a 9 to 5 job.
That is a good deal! Maybe a path that his fellow countryman Graulus could follow. I know that riders like Aranda, Richier, Boog and a few others are making good money with supercrosses and French Elite races. The championships don't even look at the MXGP calendar anymore and host races during GP weekends in Europe
Marcello10
5/24/2018 1:50pm Edited Date/Time 5/24/2018 1:51pm
Marcello10 wrote:
Cervellin parted ways with the Martin Racing Technology team only to join the Yamaha SM Action Mc. team in the MX2 class with immediate effect, it...
Cortami79 wrote:
Allright I didn't know that. But probably because they will pay him better right? He just had a podium at Russia.
Honestly in this case I don’t think the decision is money related by any means. Honda Martin is one of the best team in the nation, they’re not comparable to the Ottobiano team at all, probably the relationship between his family and the team owner wasn’t really ideal so he decided to change his plans mid season. SM Action has had a lot of injuries this year so they already had a few bikes available with only Furlotti currently racing for them. It’s quite a gamble, especially looking at the fact that he has been riding Hondas for most of his career, he will be already on the gate this weekend for the Italian championship by the way
philG
5/24/2018 2:01pm
8Biano Husqvarna is typical of many newer teams, that start up out of nowhere, with big ideas that they cant finance .
I am pretty sure there was a tie up with the GP in Ottobiano, and this was a way to try and finance the job, one way or another , but it didnt add up, and the riders and staff werent getting paid, Husqvarna took the bikes back and they were done.

As for Martin Honda, that just strikes me as either a personnel issue, or Cervelin has had a shot on the Yamaha and realises he cant win on that Honda.

Riders have been shafted for years by non paying teams, some teams were notorious for it, Bobryshev, De Dyker and Mike Brown all falling victim at some point.

All motorsports gain and lose teams through money issues, its nothing new, and with a longer season, its not getting easier.

Also i have seen teams fold through non payment of sponsorship dollars, having set up on promises of money that never came... Knich anyone ?
5/24/2018 2:37pm
Cortami79 wrote:
Thank you for the information. But the last paragraph bothers me, no Argentina GP in 2019?
Dakar is gone. It will be held in Peru entirely (sand!!)

Youthstream is trying to get another south american race. If they get that Argentina might still be on. If not it is probably gone.
tp4
5/24/2018 2:43pm
i dont like the $$$ that not being paid to the riders...no purse!
line-up
5/24/2018 2:50pm
Speaking from the host of one of the farthest races in the calendar (Patagonia) it gives people all around the world an opportunity to witness the...

Cortami79 wrote:
There will be Argentina GP next year
hillbilly
5/24/2018 3:03pm

Cortami79 wrote:
line-up wrote:
They still have that gp in the jungle where everybody loves in grass huts and shrinks heads?

Track always looked good but thin crowd.
5/24/2018 3:40pm
Until Luongo and youthstream get out of the MXGP's and until they start paying purse money and lowering the costs for promoters, it's nothing but a shit show. Luongo is no better than the mafia at this point.
Walter
5/24/2018 4:07pm
The current group running the GPs charges riders to race the series, gets money from the tracks to host a race (the tracks pay all of the ad and other costs), and then does not pay the riders prize money. Good gig.

Kinda like the F1 circus only the teams there get big TV money. Probably no such deal in the GPs.

Frank
5/24/2018 5:21pm
Been following the GP's for 20 years. Can't get enough. Comparing the racing action, the talent, the presentation, the atmosphere, the Live TV and awesome web coverage to just 5 years ago? It's doing leaps and bounds better each and every year. To me it has surpassed the us nationals and the mxdn results back that up.
Rooster
5/24/2018 5:33pm
The expense of travel just so they can call it a world title is laughable. Having races in Mexico and only half the field shows up...
The expense of travel just so they can call it a world title is laughable.

Having races in Mexico and only half the field shows up isn’t as important as having them in neutral locations so more riders can attend from several countries in the region.

Nobody says that about F1 or MotoGP.

You have to start somewhere and they've been making slow and steady progress with their business model.
jemcee
5/24/2018 7:17pm Edited Date/Time 5/24/2018 7:42pm
Cortami79 wrote:
line-up wrote:
hillbilly wrote:
They still have that gp in the jungle where everybody loves in grass huts and shrinks heads?

Thin crowd? last year

this year

hillbilly
5/24/2018 7:30pm
line-up wrote:
hillbilly wrote:

jemcee wrote:
Thin crowd? last year [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/05/24/263922/s1200_3_3.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/05/24/263923/s1200_3_13.jpg[/img] this year [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/05/24/263926/s1200_35.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/05/24/263925/s1200_26.jpg[/img]
Thin crowd? last year

this year

I thought it rained like monsoon last year.
jemcee
5/24/2018 7:36pm
hillbilly wrote:
I thought it rained like monsoon last year.
Oh nah you're thinking of the Malaysian round
hillbilly
5/24/2018 7:39pm
Bangkok is the track I am referring to i believe
jemcee
5/24/2018 7:47pm
hillbilly wrote:
Bangkok is the track I am referring to i believe
Yep.. More humidity than Satan's undies too

redrider400
5/24/2018 8:10pm
I don't know if it's in that bad of shape, but I enjoy watching MXGP more than the nationals. I never thought I would say that but their top guys are noticeably faster than ours. Their speed in turns is ridiculous. Outside of Tomac and Marvin, don't see anyone else being competitive in MXGP.
Bearuno
5/24/2018 11:01pm Edited Date/Time 5/24/2018 11:39pm
'They' - Luongo / Youthstream, think they have MotoGP / WSBK in their hands .

So, 'They', have taken the model of contracted teams, and limited numbers - MotoGP and WSBK have limits around the low / mid 20s for the grid in case any of you have not noticed - as being what's important.

And 'they' justify limited fields as having '"the best of the best". Not always the truth, but it's a a thing prevalent in many TV / Streaming sports - the screen doesn't need the back markers , only the 'Stars'.

Indeed, a few seasons ago Luongo / Youthstream had the MXGP class (and tried for MX2) limited to 30 riders. It was changed back to 40 max. They yielded to pressure from many true 'stewards' of the sport, but also realized "why the hell not take peoples money" through their exorbitant entry fees.

Luongo / Youthstream really do 'work' the Government / Industry paying for events model that so dominates much of Most sports today. It's the sign of the times.

And then you have Luongo, constantly saying that he chooses to not offer 'prize' money, because he puts it back into the ('his') sport. "He', shouldn't be paying the riders - that's for the Industry to do - that's his reasoning. So, every cent he gets from Monster, goes into his pockets. If Monster cared at all for the sport, they'd have a separate prize fund set aside for the Riders and Teams. But, hey, one can understand a corporate entity having Naming rights to a sport for the minimum cost to themselves. They really don't give a fuck.

Luongo / Youthstream are a Cancer on Our sport, and He / They've got it, currently, up to 2026.

Post a reply to: MXGP. Is it healthy?

The Latest