MXGP Charlotte weather could be interesting

Tropical storm in the Gulf appears to be slowly sending more an more "tropical" weather towards Charlotte.. Rain or shine; my level of excitement remains STOKED!

|
Ashleymx
8/31/2016 6:17pm
I'm about 3.5 hours drive away but I doubt I'm going. (I was super excited when I first heard how close it was) Not too keen to watch "motocross" from a plastic seat in the stands looking through a mesh fence at a Speedway track. Of all the tracks they pick this venue? The sand in Assen Netherlands last weekend would have made it interesting but I'm guessing this will be clay?
3rdgearpinned
8/31/2016 7:54pm
Absolutely clay. Like red Georgia. Herrings will be wtf man? It's not sand.
DuneRider250
9/1/2016 12:05pm
Hermine just stengthened into a hurricane so this will be interesting

The Shop

cali11
9/1/2016 1:08pm
when I said somthing about the storm, another member said I didn't know what I was talking about.
9/1/2016 1:13pm Edited Date/Time 9/1/2016 1:16pm
Made a last minute decision to buy a ticket and make the trip up there. This may make me reconsider lol. This may be my only real chance to see a GP in the flesh.

Funny though, all the weather forecasts I lookup for Concord, NC show Saturday to be a partly sunny day. No real chance of rain?

yak651
Fantasy
214th
9/1/2016 1:23pm
Hope no rain, mud race every now and then ok, but on a clay "stadium based" track can't imagine it will be fun to watch/race
agn5009
9/1/2016 1:35pm
Ashleymx wrote:
I'm about 3.5 hours drive away but I doubt I'm going. (I was super excited when I first heard how close it was) Not too keen...
I'm about 3.5 hours drive away but I doubt I'm going. (I was super excited when I first heard how close it was) Not too keen to watch "motocross" from a plastic seat in the stands looking through a mesh fence at a Speedway track. Of all the tracks they pick this venue? The sand in Assen Netherlands last weekend would have made it interesting but I'm guessing this will be clay?
Well that's pretty stupid. If I lived close enough I would be there in a heartbeat. You're passing up watching the GP guys go up against some of the best AMA guys because you have to watch it from a plastic seat? Weak.
agn5009
9/1/2016 1:36pm
Absolutely clay. Like red Georgia. Herrings will be wtf man? It's not sand.
I highly doubt Herlings is dumb enough to have been expecting sand anyways.
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4231st
9/1/2016 1:38pm
yak651 wrote:
Hope no rain, mud race every now and then ok, but on a clay "stadium based" track can't imagine it will be fun to watch/race
Seville 2004
3rdgearpinned
9/1/2016 1:41pm
agn5009 wrote:
I highly doubt Herlings is dumb enough to have been expecting sand anyways.
dude its a joke! Stop being so damn thinned skinned! Worst thing about this site and country! good lord. No shit theres no sand, its NC!
early
Fantasy
2212th
9/1/2016 1:46pm
I was at the first Indy MotoGP race in '08 when the remnants of a hurricane came thru. They ran the GP class in sideways rain for about 20 laps. One of the craziest things i've ever seen. Nicky was hanging tough but Vale took the win when the race was called.
gt80rider
9/1/2016 1:52pm
agn5009 wrote:
Well that's pretty stupid. If I lived close enough I would be there in a heartbeat. You're passing up watching the GP guys go up against...
Well that's pretty stupid. If I lived close enough I would be there in a heartbeat. You're passing up watching the GP guys go up against some of the best AMA guys because you have to watch it from a plastic seat? Weak.
Some people prefer real outdoor motocross, not a Daytona style supercross... What is there not to get?

The nc race is the new gp prototype.. huge permanent stands at an existing venue for maximum cheeks in the seats, with very little in the way of unique terrain, history, or ambiance....
Leget
Fantasy
1650th
9/1/2016 2:01pm
Rain, rain, go away..... it started rain here about 15 or 20 minutes ago.
Just a quick shower, I'm sure there's more on the way.

agn5009
9/1/2016 2:09pm
agn5009 wrote:
Well that's pretty stupid. If I lived close enough I would be there in a heartbeat. You're passing up watching the GP guys go up against...
gt80rider wrote:
Some people prefer real outdoor motocross, not a Daytona style supercross... What is there not to get? The nc race is the new gp prototype.. huge...
Some people prefer real outdoor motocross, not a Daytona style supercross... What is there not to get?

The nc race is the new gp prototype.. huge permanent stands at an existing venue for maximum cheeks in the seats, with very little in the way of unique terrain, history, or ambiance....
People get so offended by change and experiment. They're trying to bring riders of both series together for something new. Why not support a good thing? Support it now, so it can be better in the future sort of thing. It's going to be a beautiful thing watching the AMA 250 MX champ go up against the 250 MXGP champ (most likely champ I suppose) and Tomac, Barcia, Anderson etc going up against Febvre, Gajser, Cairoli, Desalle, etc. What is so wrong about that? Why not support it so it continues?

People with that thought process are the people who aid in ruining the sport. Things, including mx, will evolve over time whether anyone likes it or not. Tracks change to suit easier, more efficient viewing. Bikes change, sponsors change, riders change. Absolutely everything will change. Accept it for what it is.
Steve 396
9/1/2016 2:44pm
Its going to be a mess for sure. Is it going to be televised?
g0rd057
9/1/2016 3:14pm
agn5009 wrote:
People get so offended by change and experiment. They're trying to bring riders of both series together for something new. Why not support a good thing...
People get so offended by change and experiment. They're trying to bring riders of both series together for something new. Why not support a good thing? Support it now, so it can be better in the future sort of thing. It's going to be a beautiful thing watching the AMA 250 MX champ go up against the 250 MXGP champ (most likely champ I suppose) and Tomac, Barcia, Anderson etc going up against Febvre, Gajser, Cairoli, Desalle, etc. What is so wrong about that? Why not support it so it continues?

People with that thought process are the people who aid in ruining the sport. Things, including mx, will evolve over time whether anyone likes it or not. Tracks change to suit easier, more efficient viewing. Bikes change, sponsors change, riders change. Absolutely everything will change. Accept it for what it is.
AMEN to that sentiment....
The Rock
9/1/2016 3:24pm Edited Date/Time 9/1/2016 3:27pm
After traveling for over 14 hours I'm sitting on the Tarmac in Charlotte waiting for the ligtning to stop so it is safe for the ground crew to work so we can deplane. Was 75 minutes late leaving Atlanta plus we circled for over a half hour before landing.

To date one of my best/most unique flying stories is when a koala bear was the reason my luggage didn't make the flight. I now have today's experience to throw on the pile.

My buddy who took me to the airport couldn't believe I was getting out before the hurricanes hit Hawaii only to fly to the east coast to deal with more weather.

My parents always said my sister was the smart one :-)
OleTex
9/1/2016 3:30pm
Hopefully the weather won't be so bad. I've been looking forward to this race for a long time now, especially the 250 class.
Ashleymx
9/1/2016 3:54pm Edited Date/Time 9/1/2016 3:56pm
Ashleymx wrote:
I'm about 3.5 hours drive away but I doubt I'm going. (I was super excited when I first heard how close it was) Not too keen...
agn5009 wrote:
Haha I've flown all the way from Perth Australia dozens of times to watch Supercross and Motocross races. Often 4 flights, One 14 hrs long, I mean dozens of times. MX of Nations in Colorado was one so that was kinda close to a GP style event. Life priorities change. I did drive to the Tennessee national just a few months ago so that's where my comparison is coming from. If only the GP was there! TV might actually offer better viewing. I may still go. I'm not weak though. How much effort have you gone to or spent to see one race?
PastranaWho
9/1/2016 4:03pm
Looks like friday is going to be a mess and saturday's forecast will be sunny, maybe move qualifiers to saturday morning?
kzizok
Fantasy
2034th
9/1/2016 4:22pm
cali11 wrote:
when I said somthing about the storm, another member said I didn't know what I was talking about.
I actually remembered that. One thing I have learned being in violent weather for over 40 years in can change and change fast.
Ashleymx
9/1/2016 4:25pm Edited Date/Time 9/1/2016 4:26pm
Tim507 wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2016/09/01/149441/s1200_Sand.jpg[/img]

delete. Quoted wrong post
Ashleymx
9/1/2016 4:27pm Edited Date/Time 9/1/2016 4:27pm
agn5009 wrote:
gt80rider wrote:
Some people prefer real outdoor motocross, not a Daytona style supercross... What is there not to get? The nc race is the new gp prototype.. huge...

agn5009 wrote:
People get so offended by change and experiment. They're trying to bring riders of both series together for something new. Why not support a good thing...

I've always hated Speedway venues for Supercross. It's one of my pet peeves. Looking through that mesh sux!!! For a more spread out motocross race I'd guess it will be an even worse experience? Maybe you can get up high enough in the stands to see over the fence but you'll need binoculars lol

That's my main issue with this race. Especially when there are so many great tracks around. At the end of the day it comes down to the paying public. It will sort it self out long term. Having said that though the GPs tend to go for TV viewers more than track side spectator numbers judging by some of the strange places they hold races. .
lumpy790
9/1/2016 4:40pm
I am a hour south of the track and it just stopped raining here.

Hurricane path is constantly changing.
dboivin
9/1/2016 5:02pm
hear that sucking sound? thats the sound of the cash flying out of the pocket of whoever financially backed this race. this is not gonna be pretty.

Post a reply to: MXGP Charlotte weather could be interesting

The Latest