MXA on the XR400-- 1996

Edited Date/Time 2/9/2013 8:11am
Recently my brother dropped by my house with five boxes of stuff from above my parent's garage, including a box of old moto mags. I thanked him for that.
I had a sneaking suspicion that MXA used to promote four-strokes despite their recent criticisms. So after grabbing a couple random mags out of the box, I found a July 1996 MXA with an XR400 project motocross bike on the cover. I'll try to get it scanned.
Point being, here's some quotes on the XR400, which had mods totalling $1632 dollars in 1996 dollars of White Bros. and PC pipes, suspension etc.
The bike made 40 horses with high compression piston, new cams and head pipes.
"pliable engine", "superb handling manners", "clean lines",
"Honda's torquey XR400 can win motocross races. Under current motocross rules, the XR is eligible in the 250 class. It works best on hardpacked dirt and pure outdoor tracks."

"the complete XR400 motocrosser not only has open-class power, but is AMA legal for the 250 class"- that's actually written on the front cover.

Not dissing MXA here, but come one, are four-stroke buyers stupid?
|
Sunhouse
4/27/2011 1:00am
They did the same thing with a KLX that year. They were project bikes. Cool projects too, unlike they do these days
Mod Killer
4/27/2011 2:37am
to give those xr's credit, they were reliable as all hell. even the original yz400f was bulletproof.

never in a million years would i think they could be made competitive in mx. desert racing yes, it was done plenty, but mx no.

very cool project bikes.
motomike137
4/27/2011 3:55am
Recently my brother dropped by my house with five boxes of stuff from above my parent's garage, including a box of old moto mags. I thanked...
Recently my brother dropped by my house with five boxes of stuff from above my parent's garage, including a box of old moto mags. I thanked him for that.
I had a sneaking suspicion that MXA used to promote four-strokes despite their recent criticisms. So after grabbing a couple random mags out of the box, I found a July 1996 MXA with an XR400 project motocross bike on the cover. I'll try to get it scanned.
Point being, here's some quotes on the XR400, which had mods totalling $1632 dollars in 1996 dollars of White Bros. and PC pipes, suspension etc.
The bike made 40 horses with high compression piston, new cams and head pipes.
"pliable engine", "superb handling manners", "clean lines",
"Honda's torquey XR400 can win motocross races. Under current motocross rules, the XR is eligible in the 250 class. It works best on hardpacked dirt and pure outdoor tracks."

"the complete XR400 motocrosser not only has open-class power, but is AMA legal for the 250 class"- that's actually written on the front cover.

Not dissing MXA here, but come one, are four-stroke buyers stupid?
Only when they don't sell before the motor grenades!
user760a
4/27/2011 5:56am
I had an XR400 that I raced a few MX races on in the "vintage and woods" class in new york back then. It was fun. not too fast.

The Shop

Ride154
4/27/2011 6:01am
A lot of people dog on XR's, but those pigs are a blast to ride.
motomental1
4/27/2011 6:37am
didn't a company named aloop do an xr conversion that had 97 cr250 shrouds and fender kit? i remember thinking how sweet it looked for an xr400. and i still think the 97 cr250r was one of the best looking crs made. plus it had flames!!
4/27/2011 6:55am
it's hard for me to imagine an XR400 with "superb handling" but with all those mods, I could see it.
I thought it was interesting that MXA was saying this bike could be competitive in the big bike class, thanks to the AMA displacement rules. They were not as crtical of the rule as they are today.
4/27/2011 7:48am
Ride154 wrote:
My 1994 XR250 was a woods WEAPON! I was 16 in 1997 riding it in an XC series and we had it punched out to a 300, hot cam, exhaust with no sound supressors, high comp piston, and the best part was the front end from a 1989 KX with the 46mm forks they were so famous for... that bike was like a Cadillac in the trees. We had it from 94 brand new all the way to 2009 and when I came home one afternoon and learned my dad sold it I flew off the handle! No reason to sell it other than "I was tired of it sitting there..."

So yes, XRs get a bad rap but they are a blast! If I was on my 98 YZ250 my dad could easily stick with me in the woods when he was on his 98 WR250... when I hopped on the XR he couldn't keep me in sight!

And speaking of the '98 WR250... that is the best all-around bike I've ever been on, I could race any type of race on it with minimal modifications.
vet323
4/27/2011 7:58am
Ride154 wrote:
My 1994 XR250 was a woods WEAPON! I was 16 in 1997 riding it in an XC series and we had it punched out to a...
My 1994 XR250 was a woods WEAPON! I was 16 in 1997 riding it in an XC series and we had it punched out to a 300, hot cam, exhaust with no sound supressors, high comp piston, and the best part was the front end from a 1989 KX with the 46mm forks they were so famous for... that bike was like a Cadillac in the trees. We had it from 94 brand new all the way to 2009 and when I came home one afternoon and learned my dad sold it I flew off the handle! No reason to sell it other than "I was tired of it sitting there..."

So yes, XRs get a bad rap but they are a blast! If I was on my 98 YZ250 my dad could easily stick with me in the woods when he was on his 98 WR250... when I hopped on the XR he couldn't keep me in sight!

And speaking of the '98 WR250... that is the best all-around bike I've ever been on, I could race any type of race on it with minimal modifications.
I had both the XR250 and a WR250-those were my two favorite bikes, for sure. A well set-up XR250 is an awesome tight woods bike (until you drop it late in a Hare Scrambles and have to pick it up and stroke the starter a dozen times w/the compression release open to clear it out!

I rode my XR in countless tough races in Hawaii (including a couple MK200s) and I probably wouldn't have finished many of them on anything else.
burn1986
Fantasy
3303rd
4/27/2011 8:01am Edited Date/Time 4/27/2011 8:02am
I definitely love XRs. They are probably the easiest bikes to ride. I even like the CRF230. Totally cool concept.

I think MXA is concerned now since they sense the 2-stroke being in jeopardy of disappearing from racing.
Sherwood
4/27/2011 8:05am
If you hadn't realized, MXA has about as much credibility as me. (that's very little)
Xeno
4/27/2011 8:35am
Sherwood wrote:
If you hadn't realized, MXA has about as much credibility as me. (that's very little)
Good one!
4/27/2011 8:37am
MXA is primarily a bike magazine, and they are spot on in that aspect. Their tests are second to none.
burn1986
Fantasy
3303rd
4/27/2011 9:02am
Sherwood wrote:
Xeno wrote:
Good one!
Yep! Agreed
RMT
4/27/2011 9:26am
You dont have to look very far back to see how we changed from 2 strokes to 4. MXA is like the Fox news of motocross. They try to drum up something that isnt there just to get a controversy going.

Yamaha came out with the 400 and everyone praised it as the next best thing. Then Honda brought out the 450 and underwear in all corners of the world were soiled. What could be better than a Honda 4 stroke motocross bike! Rejoice, the world is perfect. Remember how Kawasaki and Suzuki got dogged for not having one.

The demand for 4 strokes was so high that Suzuki put yellow plastic on a Kawasaki just to keep selling bikes and not to lose all there amateur team to others. They were still making 2 strokes and nobody was buying.

The notion of OEM's pushing 4 strokes to make more money is a joke. They made more money with the 2 strokes as they were already made and engineered. No new frames, no new from the ground up engines. These things cost money. Now because the 4 strokes cost more to make, they have to charge more and guess what, they sell less of them. How often did you change piston and rings in a 2 stroke? How often in a 4? How many clutch plates did you burn off in a 2 stroke? How many now? People talk about the high price of a 4 stroke, but most people ride the shit out of them and only change the oil and check the valves every once in awhile. They dont explode as much as is hyped on the internet.

Looking at this article, 4 strokes already had a cc advantage back then, so when did the OEMs get together and lobby to get everything changed to rake in more money and screw you the consumer????

FYI, Dealers for the most part lose money selling to MX riders. Everyone wants a deal and they have no loyalty to a dealership. If a guys wants to make a few hundred dollars on a sale, most guys will say screw it and drive halfway across the country to buy cheaper. Same with gear. Most guys come in and try stuff on and then order from the internet.

MX riders can be there own worst enemy. Be careful for what you wish, you just might get it.
mx295
4/27/2011 9:35am
I have a 1995 XR 600 for sale if anyone's interested. It's in good shape.. Runs strong just needs some tlc. Send me a message if you're interested.
BobbyM
4/27/2011 9:40am Edited Date/Time 4/27/2011 9:42am
rodney raced a modified rmx or whatever they were called that looked really trick but he said it was so heavy it was a danger to ride
burn1986
Fantasy
3303rd
4/27/2011 9:42am
RMT wrote:
You dont have to look very far back to see how we changed from 2 strokes to 4. MXA is like the Fox news of motocross...
You dont have to look very far back to see how we changed from 2 strokes to 4. MXA is like the Fox news of motocross. They try to drum up something that isnt there just to get a controversy going.

Yamaha came out with the 400 and everyone praised it as the next best thing. Then Honda brought out the 450 and underwear in all corners of the world were soiled. What could be better than a Honda 4 stroke motocross bike! Rejoice, the world is perfect. Remember how Kawasaki and Suzuki got dogged for not having one.

The demand for 4 strokes was so high that Suzuki put yellow plastic on a Kawasaki just to keep selling bikes and not to lose all there amateur team to others. They were still making 2 strokes and nobody was buying.

The notion of OEM's pushing 4 strokes to make more money is a joke. They made more money with the 2 strokes as they were already made and engineered. No new frames, no new from the ground up engines. These things cost money. Now because the 4 strokes cost more to make, they have to charge more and guess what, they sell less of them. How often did you change piston and rings in a 2 stroke? How often in a 4? How many clutch plates did you burn off in a 2 stroke? How many now? People talk about the high price of a 4 stroke, but most people ride the shit out of them and only change the oil and check the valves every once in awhile. They dont explode as much as is hyped on the internet.

Looking at this article, 4 strokes already had a cc advantage back then, so when did the OEMs get together and lobby to get everything changed to rake in more money and screw you the consumer????

FYI, Dealers for the most part lose money selling to MX riders. Everyone wants a deal and they have no loyalty to a dealership. If a guys wants to make a few hundred dollars on a sale, most guys will say screw it and drive halfway across the country to buy cheaper. Same with gear. Most guys come in and try stuff on and then order from the internet.

MX riders can be there own worst enemy. Be careful for what you wish, you just might get it.
So you're all luvy duvy with the factories now, and against everybody else? Why have you only posted 26 posts since 08/16/2006?
TeamGreen
4/27/2011 10:30am
IF more people had that motor there'd be a lot less bitching about maint and cost.

Why?

Because a lot of folks seem to think their CRF-R is and XR...or...that it should be...

I'm jus' laffin'...

Great POST.
4/27/2011 10:49am
RMT wrote:
You dont have to look very far back to see how we changed from 2 strokes to 4. MXA is like the Fox news of motocross...

Some good points. I think the source of a lot of people's indignation is that four strokes were not developed because they are superior technology-- they were developed over concerns with emissions.
But you're right, people snapped them up. My theory is people just wanted something different.
4/27/2011 11:06am
Somewhere in 95-96ish the rules were changed from 370cc to I think like 600cc or something crazy. It had been the 370cc rule since back in the 70's. If only it would have stayed the rule. Anyways, In MXA's defense, not too many of us here, thought that the reliability of 4 strokes would be a thing of 1996. That XR350 I had would ride up and down the road, hours and hours every day, wide azz open. Never a problem. So saying that XR400 4 stroke was good, is something different than the animal we have today.
RMT
4/27/2011 4:45pm
burn1986 wrote:
So you're all luvy duvy with the factories now, and against everybody else? Why have you only posted 26 posts since 08/16/2006?
No, Im not luvy duvy with anyone, Ive just seen how these things play out and made a comment. I dont post much because I work for one of the OEM's and have gotten in trouble in the past for posting on motorcycle forums. I also have other things going on in my life (young kids) so I just dont post all that much. The fact that I was here in Aug of 06 should tell you all you need to know.
RMT
4/27/2011 4:51pm
BobbyM wrote:
rodney raced a modified rmx or whatever they were called that looked really trick but he said it was so heavy it was a danger to...
rodney raced a modified rmx or whatever they were called that looked really trick but he said it was so heavy it was a danger to ride
Rodney raced a DRZ that was very heavy for tight woods riding like the GNCC's. I have ridden that bike and it was fun to ride, and you almost had to try and stall the thing, but at his speeds, I could see how he would think it was dangerous. For a DRZ, it was amazing, but nothing like the current crop of 450's.
dirtnapper
4/27/2011 7:19pm
I have owned a 92 XR 600 and a 02 XR 400, and although I have never raced either, they were a BLAST to ride. I loved them when I had them.
G-man
4/27/2011 8:52pm Edited Date/Time 4/27/2011 8:54pm
ATKpilot99 wrote:
[img]http://www.dirtbike.at/honda/xr400/gross/aloop_xr400_2005.jpg[/img] Yep this is the aloop kit.

Yep this is the aloop kit.
If anyone is interested I have that tank/shroud seat from A Loop for an XR 400.

Helps with cornering and turns it into an instant ROCKETSHIP! Woohoo

And yea I luved both my XR's too. Bikes are bulletproof!
mengis82
2/6/2013 1:34am
ATKpilot99 wrote:
[img]http://www.dirtbike.at/honda/xr400/gross/aloop_xr400_2005.jpg[/img] Yep this is the aloop kit.

Yep this is the aloop kit.
G-man wrote:
If anyone is interested I have that tank/shroud seat from A Loop for an XR 400. Helps with cornering and turns it into an instant ROCKETSHIP...
If anyone is interested I have that tank/shroud seat from A Loop for an XR 400.

Helps with cornering and turns it into an instant ROCKETSHIP! Woohoo

And yea I luved both my XR's too. Bikes are bulletproof!
Hey G-man, I'm brand new to this forum, just wondering if you still have the aloop kit for sale?
BDOG
2/6/2013 4:45am Edited Date/Time 2/6/2013 4:46am
MXA is primarily a bike magazine, and they are spot on in that aspect. Their tests are second to none.
It is the only real MX magazine out there anymore. The only one I will waste my money on. Of course, Ive never read or seen 'moto east mag"
ga_pike
2/6/2013 5:24am
burn1986 wrote:
Because post count is the level of intellignece of knowledge someone has?

I'd argue that those with the highest post counts are the idiots in many cases.
Frodad78
2/6/2013 5:25am
Ride154 wrote:
My 1994 XR250 was a woods WEAPON! I was 16 in 1997 riding it in an XC series and we had it punched out to a...

vet323 wrote:
I had both the XR250 and a WR250-those were my two favorite bikes, for sure. A well set-up XR250 is an awesome tight woods bike (until...
I had both the XR250 and a WR250-those were my two favorite bikes, for sure. A well set-up XR250 is an awesome tight woods bike (until you drop it late in a Hare Scrambles and have to pick it up and stroke the starter a dozen times w/the compression release open to clear it out!

I rode my XR in countless tough races in Hawaii (including a couple MK200s) and I probably wouldn't have finished many of them on anything else.
haha, Man! I used to race a XR280 and then a 400 in scrambles. DONT EVER DROP IT LATE IN A RACE!!!... kick and kick and kick and kick...

Post a reply to: MXA on the XR400-- 1996

The Latest