MXA interview with Ryan Dungey

Gukamonster
11/4/2017 12:53am
Dungey was always a very intelligent rider, it shows in how little races he missed in his career due to injury. He's smart to quit when he did if he thinks he peaked out. The speeds now make for a lot worse injuries. You used to read the RacerX Injury Report and it would be things like "broken collarbone" or "broken tib/fib" - now the average injury is a laundry list of multiple very gnarly things.

For example Weimer's latest injury:
"broken right wrist, broken left scapula, broken left elbow, bruised ribs, a bruised right lung, and a collapsed left lung"

There was another former pro that died in an MX crash just this last week, Peter Melton from Australia. In June there was another, Steven Lenoir the 2010 EMX250 champ. There has always been injuries and risks but with increased speed both become a lot greater. Just like driving is always dangerous, but going 110mph is a lot more dangerous and riskier than 80mph. Time to slow stuff down.
ruy
11/4/2017 5:54am

Tumblin
11/4/2017 6:59am
RV was most focused on the Dung throughout his 450 career. He viewed RD's intellect, program and commitment to his craft as his greatest road block to race wins, but even more so titles. I'm sure both these guys were the fast fuel driving their own burnout. May well have been a shorter career for RC as well if they all came up together IMHO. I'm glad they all are content, financially set and will go on enjoying and supporting the sport I'm sure they still have passion for....it certainly could have ended not on their own turns
newmann
11/4/2017 7:05am
Past due for a return to 125 and 250 classes.

The Shop

mxb2
11/4/2017 7:38am
newmann wrote:
Plenty of racing out there, go watch some.
newmann
11/4/2017 8:25am
newmann wrote:
mxb2 wrote:
Next weekend. Lots of 125/250 action...

mxb2
11/4/2017 8:31am
newmann wrote:
mxb2 wrote:
newmann wrote:
Next weekend. Lots of 125/250 action... [img]https://ahrma.org/ahrma_pdfs/Z-2017/Nationals/VMX/Posters/Rio%20Bravo%20flyer%202017.jpg[/img]
Next weekend. Lots of 125/250 action...

Cool, I hope you go to support.
mikec265
11/4/2017 12:12pm
Just picked the issue up at Wal-Mart. That interview was as good as a Suzuki with a 500 2stroke stuffed in it! $25 RM gift card with a subscription in it too. On a side note Santa Claus was there in the toy section on November 4th.
ruy
11/4/2017 2:30pm

smoothies862
Fantasy
745th
11/4/2017 2:52pm Edited Date/Time 11/4/2017 2:53pm
something needs to change. tracks and or cc limit. monster cup was sleeping medicine. holeshot . train. zzzz.
tomac even said you cant battle on a 450. someone will wreck or major fade.
11/5/2017 11:51pm
the bikes will never get slower. so get over that. racers are pushing it more now then they ever have because they have the technology to go that fast, and the newfound understanding of the physical side of the sport (off the bike training).

in no form of racing will you ever see progression in terms of making things slower.

at the end of the day their really isn’t any new technology that helps when a human hits the ground (except neck braces and new helmets) and that’s the issue.

build whatever “safe” track you want. racers are still going to go as fast as they can, and faster then the season before. that’s just the nature of progression.

it’s not if you crash, it’s when.

the only thing that sounds reasonable to me is some type of inflatable worn object that is attached to the bike via cord and when you’re ejected it engages like an air bag in cars that protects the vital organs and long bones.
Jrewing
11/6/2017 2:10am
the bikes will never get slower. so get over that. racers are pushing it more now then they ever have because they have the technology to...
the bikes will never get slower. so get over that. racers are pushing it more now then they ever have because they have the technology to go that fast, and the newfound understanding of the physical side of the sport (off the bike training).

in no form of racing will you ever see progression in terms of making things slower.

at the end of the day their really isn’t any new technology that helps when a human hits the ground (except neck braces and new helmets) and that’s the issue.

build whatever “safe” track you want. racers are still going to go as fast as they can, and faster then the season before. that’s just the nature of progression.

the only thing that sounds reasonable to me is some type of inflatable worn object that is attached to the bike via cord and when you’re ejected it engages like an air bag in cars that protects the vital organs and long bones.
Haha, says can't make sport better slowing down but can make it better with inflatables...Mmm ok!
jemcee
11/6/2017 3:17am Edited Date/Time 11/6/2017 3:18am
the bikes will never get slower. so get over that. racers are pushing it more now then they ever have because they have the technology to...

Haha naah no motorsport has ever tried to slow their vehicles down in an attempt to make things safer haha
Crush
11/6/2017 3:54am

Hasn't F1 and MotoGP limited and controlled their performance multiple times? Tyres, engines, aero etc?
Francis377
11/6/2017 3:58am
I only came here go say that Dungey was awesome and I miss him even though I usually cheered for other guys .
ruy
11/6/2017 4:13am

jemcee
11/6/2017 4:20am

Crush wrote:
Hasn't F1 and MotoGP limited and controlled their performance multiple times? Tyres, engines, aero etc?
Rally as well and I think Nascar too
11/6/2017 7:29pm
Jrewing wrote:
Haha, says can't make sport better slowing down but can make it better with inflatables...Mmm ok!
lol ok maybe saying making motorsports slower is completely incorrect i should have said advancement of technology. racing is racing and that means going faster even if it’s switching from V8 to V6 or whatever other example you want to use.

and yes, something that takes away impact when you hit the ground. how many things in life sounded crazy until it happened? an electric motocross bike? magnetic lens’ ittl happen one day. maybe not “inflatable” but something that happens to the rider before they hit the ground. maybe everyone won’t wear it but it will be made

as long as theirs a race theirs going to be injuries. so the question is how do you soften the blow
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3682nd
11/6/2017 7:59pm
Alpinestars is already working on an inflatable vest. They have one for road racing and I'm pretty sure someone posted a video a while back for the MX side of things.
olds cool
11/6/2017 8:54pm

jemcee wrote:
Haha naah no motorsport has ever tried to slow their vehicles down in an attempt to make things safer haha
Two words: restrictor plates...Whistling
Jrewing
11/6/2017 11:55pm
-MAVERICK- wrote:
Alpinestars is already working on an inflatable vest. They have one for road racing and I'm pretty sure someone posted a video a while back for...
Alpinestars is already working on an inflatable vest. They have one for road racing and I'm pretty sure someone posted a video a while back for the MX side of things.
How does it work when you need to get up and get going again.
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3682nd
11/7/2017 2:09am
-MAVERICK- wrote:
Alpinestars is already working on an inflatable vest. They have one for road racing and I'm pretty sure someone posted a video a while back for...
Jrewing wrote:
How does it work when you need to get up and get going again.
I haven't looked into it much but from what I remember there's two gas cartridges so that you can have two full use out of it before having to refill/change them. It's pretty cool technology and great to see a company innovate in the safety department.

Alpinestars Airbag Vest

Here's the video I was talking about earlier.

https://youtu.be/yZrYm3--EjE?rel=0

Post a reply to: MXA interview with Ryan Dungey

The Latest