MXA QUERY: The Rookie Dungey - Is He Or Isn't He?

Ramrod
Fantasy
1692nd
Edited Date/Time 1/27/2012 1:02pm
Quote MXA - "Lest we forget, The King of Supercross himself - Jeremy McGrath - claimed the coveted "rookie" status after he moved up from the 125 class to the 250 class, never having raced in the (then premier) 250 class at all. A true, certifiable rookie."

Is this correct, I could have swore that in 93' I watched him get around 5th in the 250 class at Pontiac while he was a west coast 125 rider. I could be wrong?
|
mxmat813
5/19/2010 8:17am
You're wrong, in 93 he won the supercross title. Perhaps 92?
ATKpilot99
5/19/2010 8:17am
93 was the year he won his first 250 title . He won 10 main events that season .
inflammable
5/19/2010 8:34am
In '92 McGrath rode several 250cc Supercross races. Pontiac and Charlotte come to mind..Tampa too i think. He finished 2nd to Bradshaw in a Heat in Pontiac, and led most of it, too.

The Shop

500guy
5/19/2010 8:48am
Yup and back when McGrath did it they were looking for excuses on why he wasn't a tough or good as Hannah, Johnson , Bailey and the like.

it's the same resounding theme , back in the day, no back in the day, no the other day.

As soon as this crop of riders retires they (MXA) will be looking for a reason the new crop is bigger pussies than the last.
SCIENCE
5/19/2010 9:20am
Ramrod wrote:
Quote MXA - "Lest we forget, The King of Supercross himself - Jeremy McGrath - claimed the coveted "rookie" status after he moved up from the...
Quote MXA - "Lest we forget, The King of Supercross himself - Jeremy McGrath - claimed the coveted "rookie" status after he moved up from the 125 class to the 250 class, never having raced in the (then premier) 250 class at all. A true, certifiable rookie."

Is this correct, I could have swore that in 93' I watched him get around 5th in the 250 class at Pontiac while he was a west coast 125 rider. I could be wrong?
I am a long time MXA supporter and fan, but I think their minds are going a wee bit with age (as is mine!) MC did run a few East coast 250 rounds in '92. Have to pull out the vhs tapes, but I think he did a few top 5's. Those points along with his 125 National points put him at #15 for 1993.
That being said, his first title was far more impressive than Dungey's. He beat the '92 champ (Stanton) and runner up (Bradshaw) in their primes, as well as a full contingent of top riders straight up( as JS7 likes to say). All due respect to Dungey for winning this year, but he clearly benefited from injuries to the top 4 in the series. We will never know what would have happened had even #2 kept it on two wheels. Long term, Dungey's name is safely in the books as the champ. As time goes on, they don't ask how, but how many. He could be like Mike Bell or win a few more and further raise his level closer to MC's. All-in-all and apples to oranges comparison. 1993 was a spectacular SX series while 2010 was mediocre at best.
Ramrod
Fantasy
1692nd
5/19/2010 9:24am
txrider44 wrote:
Yea 1992 on a peak honda 250 #17.
I stand corrected but peak honda #17 was what I remembered.
Ramrod
Fantasy
1692nd
5/19/2010 9:27am
Ramrod wrote:
Quote MXA - "Lest we forget, The King of Supercross himself - Jeremy McGrath - claimed the coveted "rookie" status after he moved up from the...

SCIENCE wrote:
I am a long time MXA supporter and fan, but I think their minds are going a wee bit with age (as is mine!) MC did...
I am a long time MXA supporter and fan, but I think their minds are going a wee bit with age (as is mine!) MC did run a few East coast 250 rounds in '92. Have to pull out the vhs tapes, but I think he did a few top 5's. Those points along with his 125 National points put him at #15 for 1993.
That being said, his first title was far more impressive than Dungey's. He beat the '92 champ (Stanton) and runner up (Bradshaw) in their primes, as well as a full contingent of top riders straight up( as JS7 likes to say). All due respect to Dungey for winning this year, but he clearly benefited from injuries to the top 4 in the series. We will never know what would have happened had even #2 kept it on two wheels. Long term, Dungey's name is safely in the books as the champ. As time goes on, they don't ask how, but how many. He could be like Mike Bell or win a few more and further raise his level closer to MC's. All-in-all and apples to oranges comparison. 1993 was a spectacular SX series while 2010 was mediocre at best.
I think Dungey is still on the rise for quite awhile and may add to this one even when all of the top competition is not injured.
500guy
5/19/2010 9:32am
Did you see how many people were in the stands ? dang that was like a ghost town.
web mx
5/19/2010 9:48am
I think alot of people think mcgrath just came in in 1991 and won 125 sx series out of the blue when in fact he raced 125 sx series in 89 finishing 8th in series and then finishing 2nd in 1990 125 sx series and I believe hw may have even raced a couple 125 west sx races in 88 too.
So he did race 4 complete 125 sx seasons before killing everybody in 250's in 93.
I will have to look at some old cycle new's cause I remember seeing him in pontiac in 91 on a 250 peak honda #125 and of course in 92 on peak honda #17.....
CamP
5/19/2010 9:57am
web mx wrote:
I think alot of people think mcgrath just came in in 1991 and won 125 sx series out of the blue when in fact he raced...
I think alot of people think mcgrath just came in in 1991 and won 125 sx series out of the blue when in fact he raced 125 sx series in 89 finishing 8th in series and then finishing 2nd in 1990 125 sx series and I believe hw may have even raced a couple 125 west sx races in 88 too.
So he did race 4 complete 125 sx seasons before killing everybody in 250's in 93.
I will have to look at some old cycle new's cause I remember seeing him in pontiac in 91 on a 250 peak honda #125 and of course in 92 on peak honda #17.....
Another major point is that McGrath had been racing less than three years when he finished 8th in the 125 SX series in '89. Makes you wonder if starting kids racing at 4-5 is necessary, or even a good idea.
5/19/2010 10:03am
500guy wrote:
Yup and back when McGrath did it they were looking for excuses on why he wasn't a tough or good as Hannah, Johnson , Bailey and...
Yup and back when McGrath did it they were looking for excuses on why he wasn't a tough or good as Hannah, Johnson , Bailey and the like.

it's the same resounding theme , back in the day, no back in the day, no the other day.

As soon as this crop of riders retires they (MXA) will be looking for a reason the new crop is bigger pussies than the last.
exactly
5/19/2010 10:34am Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 10:55pm
i am about to get crucified for saying this, but it IS truth...

1993. MC and his legend is born. Why? Because after a few races, he caught fire and destroyed the field. A field of hall of famers such as Stanton, Bradshaw, Bayle, LaRocco, Kiedrowski, Cooper, Ward, Emig... ect ect. Why did he destroy them, in his OWN words, I was behind Stanton and following him and wondering why he was taking the outside, then I thought, why am I not passing him, hes leaving it wide open, and I had to get it in my head that I belonged in front of him. thats paraphrasing but damn close from MC's own mouth in his book and the Matthes podcast.

Now lets look at the facts:
Stanton, radically changed his program for 93, went veggie, had peaked the year before, this was the beginning of the end in his own words, see Matthes podcast.

Bradshaw, at this same time, he was so over racing and burned out, he wound up with a shotgun in a hotel room, it was over after 92 and 93 about killed him literally. His own words.

Bayle was so over MX by 93 he was just finishing out his contract. He was in road race mode. His words.

Ward, all he was thinking was retirement.

Coop, see above.

MXKied, could go but was outdoors

Larocco, could go, but was all ways in the back

The rest, indoors, either never were "the guy" or were "the guy" in the 80s.

To say that MC didnt get some luck and catch things at just the right time is BS. What it DID do though, is it gave him the mindset you HAVE TO HAVE to continually be the champ. You have to KNOW, not hope, not wish, not think you can, you have to KNOW to your core, you belong on top.... not only belong on top, that you ARE the top. MC caught the class under just the right circumstances, capitilised on it, got the mindset, and it carried him from 93 to 2001. Fact. It took another rider hitting some very simular circumstances to get the mindset and when he did, it was over for MC, RC. He caught MC when he changed his training, had peaked a bit before, ect ect, pretty Stanton like.

But before you guys build a bonfire to roast me, I readily admit, both MC and RC, it was inevitable. It was destiny based on talent, desire, a host of reasons. But something in these cases is always the catalyst, the spark, that sets it all off.

Ask MC, ask, RC, CR, JS, they will ALL say the same thing.... they KNEW, no question or doubt, that every time they lined up, noone could beat them and if someone did, it was a fluke and a miracle and the next week they would be ruined.

So to Dungey. He shows up at A1. Against a healthy JS, CR, Windham, Villipoto, runs away from them for 15 laps. Then gets rookie nerves, blows a bit in the 16th and 17 lap, gets passed, regroups, and runs down a sprinting JS. Then Phoenix happens, and hes the man. He lined up with THE GUYS and won. We all know there were circumstances... just like 93. Then his only threat, Villipoto, he either stays with, or sees him crashing trying to run away with it... adds more fuel to the KNOW I belong fire. Plus, Dungey learned the hardway, its better to stay up and finish behind your competition 1 or 2 places, than try to go nutz and win and go down.

So, did Dungey "get lucky", undoubtedly. So did MC. Will Dungey do it again, who knows. Just saying he was in the right place at the right time and became the guy, just like a SX legend. IF next year they line up, and hes outfront with JS and VP... you never know when the next legend is coming. Several were supposed to be the next huge deal, Pastrana instantly comes to mind, but it takes the right set of "lucky" circumstances imo to make it happen fast.
swizcore
5/19/2010 10:51am
Says alot about this place when you expect to get crucified for telling it like it is Greg.
JW381
5/19/2010 10:55am
Dungey rode a few 450 SX's in 2008. Just like McGrath did in '92.
RACEGUY
5/19/2010 10:56am
Hall o' Fame BornA''

Well said. VERY well said.
Tater
Fantasy
285th
5/19/2010 11:09am
No doubt, great take on the beginnings of a hero...

Now, someone go get a lighter and 5 gallons of gasoline outa' the shed.
raddad
5/19/2010 11:15am
i am about to get crucified for saying this, but it IS truth... 1993. MC and his legend is born. Why? Because after a few races...

1993. MC and his legend is born. Why? Because after a few races, he caught fire and destroyed the field. A field of hall of famers such as Stanton, Bradshaw, Bayle, LaRocco, Kiedrowski, Cooper, Ward, Emig... ect ect. Why did he destroy them, in his OWN words, I was behind Stanton and following him and wondering why he was taking the outside, then I thought, why am I not passing him, hes leaving it wide open, and I had to get it in my head that I belonged in front of him. thats paraphrasing but damn close from MC's own mouth in his book and the Matthes podcast.

Stanton, radically changed his program for 93, went veggie, had peaked the year before, this was the beginning of the end in his own words, see Matthes podcast.

Bradshaw, at this same time, he was so over racing and burned out, he wound up with a shotgun in a hotel room, it was over after 92 and 93 about killed him literally. His own words.

Bayle was so over MX by 93 he was just finishing out his contract. He was in road race mode. His words.

Coop, see above.

To say that MC didnt get some luck and catch things at just the right time is BS. What it DID do though, is it gave him the mindset you HAVE TO HAVE to continually be the champ. You have to KNOW, not hope, not wish, not think you can, you have to KNOW to your core, you belong on top.... not only belong on top, that you ARE the top. MC caught the class under just the right circumstances, capitilised on it, got the mindset, and it carried him from 93 to 2001. Fact. It took another rider hitting some very simular circumstances to get the mindset and when he did, it was over for MC, RC. He caught MC when he changed his training, had peaked a bit before, ect ect, pretty Stanton like.

But before you guys build a bonfire to roast me, I readily admit, both MC and RC, it was inevitable. It was destiny based on talent, desire, a host of reasons. But something in these cases is always the catalyst, the spark, that sets it all off.

Ask MC, ask, RC, CR, JS, they will ALL say the same thing.... they KNEW, no question or doubt, that every time they lined up, noone could beat them and if someone did, it was a fluke and a miracle and the next week they would be ruined.

So to Dungey. He shows up at A1. Against a healthy JS, CR, Windham, Villipoto, runs away from them for 15 laps. Then gets rookie nerves, blows a bit in the 16th and 17 lap, gets passed, regroups, and runs down a sprinting JS. Then Phoenix happens, and hes the man. He lined up with THE GUYS and won. We all know there were circumstances... just like 93. Then his only threat, Villipoto, he either stays with, or sees him crashing trying to run away with it... adds more fuel to the KNOW I belong fire. Plus, Dungey learned the hardway, its better to stay up and finish behind your competition 1 or 2 places, than try to go nutz and win and go down.

So, did Dungey "get lucky", undoubtedly. So did MC. Will Dungey do it again, who knows. Just saying he was in the right place at the right time and became the guy, just like a SX legend. IF next year they line up, and hes outfront with JS and VP... you never know when the next legend is coming. Several were supposed to be the next huge deal, Pastrana instantly comes to mind, but it takes the right set of "lucky" circumstances imo to make it happen fast.
Great "real world" report!
DanDunes818
5/19/2010 11:36am
web mx wrote:
I think alot of people think mcgrath just came in in 1991 and won 125 sx series out of the blue when in fact he raced...
CamP wrote:
Another major point is that McGrath had been racing less than three years when he finished 8th in the 125 SX series in '89. Makes you...
Another major point is that McGrath had been racing less than three years when he finished 8th in the 125 SX series in '89. Makes you wonder if starting kids racing at 4-5 is necessary, or even a good idea.
Camp that is the most amazing thing about MC.. 2 years before he finished 8th in the 1989 sx series he was the LL's 125C champ(1987). And that was his 2nd season racing MX. That is incredible. Probably the most incredible rise in the history of the sport. To go along with the most incredible domination in the history of the sport.

No 80's 60's or pewwee's. Just a childhood of BMX racing.
Ramrod
Fantasy
1692nd
5/19/2010 12:38pm
He's the King! McGrath had an unbelievable run and partied and had fun along the way. He put in his work and then kicked back.
BobbyM
5/19/2010 1:25pm
i am about to get crucified for saying this, but it IS truth... 1993. MC and his legend is born. Why? Because after a few races...

Coop, see above.

yup.. no matter what, you win a sx title on a 450 you one bad mufucker
5/19/2010 2:25pm

Coop, see above.

That was a good, balanced post.

In sum, though, it's nearly impossible to fairly compare riders and series from different eras. there are just too many factors involved.
the_wood109
5/19/2010 2:28pm
500guy wrote:
Yup and back when McGrath did it they were looking for excuses on why he wasn't a tough or good as Hannah, Johnson , Bailey and...

You've been on the ball lately, man. Can't help but agree with your recent stuff...
Racer111
5/19/2010 2:53pm
web mx wrote:
Mcgrath did not race 4 full seasons in the 125 Class. He did a couple here and there in 89-90. He didn't have any support to race a whole series until he got on Mitch Peyton's Team. If you read his book you will find all of this out.
Xavier
5/19/2010 3:10pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 10:55pm

Coop, see above.

Very good and accurate post, although Bayle did not race a single SX in 1993.

He was road racing full time by then.

I believe Bayle was still the man in '92, was still in the hunt for the title with 1 race to go, Stanton was already loosing physical power and Bradshaw was super-fast but already fragile mentally... JMB was still young and physically intact and could have had quite a few more good years...

And had Bayle stayed on it, who knows if Jeremy could have gained that "I KNOW" feeling that you describe very well ?!

From the bunch, he was the one with the type of style, talent and confidence that could potentially have MC doubt a little.

But Bayle did'nt stay on it and one can't re-write History !

More power to Jeremy, more power to Dungey today, they were in the right place, at the right time, with the right mindset and the right program.

That's a hell of an accomplishment, any way you look at it.
Sherwood
5/19/2010 3:19pm
Mxa has never worried about writing factual stories.
rmpilot
5/19/2010 3:35pm
web mx wrote:
CamP wrote:
Another major point is that McGrath had been racing less than three years when he finished 8th in the 125 SX series in '89. Makes you...
Camp that is the most amazing thing about MC.. 2 years before he finished 8th in the 1989 sx series he was the LL's 125C champ(1987)...
Camp that is the most amazing thing about MC.. 2 years before he finished 8th in the 1989 sx series he was the LL's 125C champ(1987). And that was his 2nd season racing MX. That is incredible. Probably the most incredible rise in the history of the sport. To go along with the most incredible domination in the history of the sport.

No 80's 60's or pewwee's. Just a childhood of BMX racing.
now what about hannah, he started racing and his second race he was riding A and two years later he was national champ.

Post a reply to: MXA QUERY: The Rookie Dungey - Is He Or Isn't He?

The Latest