MXA - Chad Reed Interview

drt410
12/4/2018 9:15pm Edited Date/Time 12/4/2018 9:22pm
kaptkaos wrote:
Just because he needs a special fork lug doesnt mean everyone else does. He has been whining about every situation he has been in since he...
Just because he needs a special fork lug doesnt mean everyone else does. He has been whining about every situation he has been in since he shut down 22 Motorsports. I get it, if it was just once but its just happening at every spot he lands on and the teams keep cutting him loose. I dont think thats a coincidence. With his great knowledge, speed and experience he should have been able to buy the bike that suit shim last year and been a top 5 guy all year but he didnt. Barcia was a lot like him, but he got the hint and just quit blaming the bike and decided to do what he needed to go fast and say the right things.

Like I said, I am a Chad Reed fan, and want him to stick around as long as he can, but I can see why the teams let him go, and why they arent fighting over him. He will get a chance due to the misfortune of Peicks accident.

Sure Chad can tell the team very minute details about what HE WANTS the bike to do, but that doesnt make a better race or production bike, and the teams arent stupid, they way the pros and cons of his feedback and results versus the negative remarks he can make when things dont go his way and most decide the Juice aint worth the squeeze. Perhaps, if he was lighting hte world on fire with his results they would, as they have done in the past and for other riders, but that ship has sailed and he needs to play the PC card and be smart to extend his career and make more money. The point is, you have the bike and team you have, make the best of it, work within their system and be a positive contributor. Its not your team anymore, you dont pay the bills, THEY DO. Thats all.

I hope he does well this year, and can help JGR and Suzuki get back on top, I highly doubt it, but it would be great to see.

When its all over, I hope he made enough money to write a tell all book, because he has strong feelings about the sport, the promoters, the sanctioning body, the teams, the bikes, the press, the tracks pretty much everything. There is a time and manner to be vocal if you want to be a Sponsored Factory rider. That time is when you are on top or when you have enough FU $$$.
Exactly he even admitted this about Villopoto. He said RV could go fast on the Kawi no matter how bad it was. Isnt that EXACTLY what you want as a mfg? The bikes are all pretty damn good get out there and ride. The bikes are essentially as good as it gets, 100000 times better than oem or anyone elses bikes. Get out there and ride it your an mx racer. If RV will just take the bike and ride it how it is and win but Reed needs 1.2mm wider fork lugs and still doesnt win who do you honestly want on your bike? He was self defeating with that one that really hurt his case. If someone wins on the still very very good bike you give them and the other person complains about everything and doesnt win, is that not the biggest no brainer ever? Sorry but the problem is Reed blames the bikes for bad results and RV just goes out and wins on the bike he has. Still a fan but thats the hard truth admitted to here by Reed. Why is he saying Kawi was wrong for not changing the bike cuz hes not winning on it when RV is? That makes no sense. If RV IS winning... the bike clearly IS good enough to win on.. so go win. Some of the things he says make no sense... well are excuses for why hes not.
haydos25
Fantasy
3325th
12/4/2018 9:35pm
drt410 wrote:
Exactly he even admitted this about Villopoto. He said RV could go fast on the Kawi no matter how bad it was. Isnt that EXACTLY what...
Exactly he even admitted this about Villopoto. He said RV could go fast on the Kawi no matter how bad it was. Isnt that EXACTLY what you want as a mfg? The bikes are all pretty damn good get out there and ride. The bikes are essentially as good as it gets, 100000 times better than oem or anyone elses bikes. Get out there and ride it your an mx racer. If RV will just take the bike and ride it how it is and win but Reed needs 1.2mm wider fork lugs and still doesnt win who do you honestly want on your bike? He was self defeating with that one that really hurt his case. If someone wins on the still very very good bike you give them and the other person complains about everything and doesnt win, is that not the biggest no brainer ever? Sorry but the problem is Reed blames the bikes for bad results and RV just goes out and wins on the bike he has. Still a fan but thats the hard truth admitted to here by Reed. Why is he saying Kawi was wrong for not changing the bike cuz hes not winning on it when RV is? That makes no sense. If RV IS winning... the bike clearly IS good enough to win on.. so go win. Some of the things he says make no sense... well are excuses for why hes not.
I kind of agree with you. If RV can win on a unicycle then he's obviously going to be the rider the team gravitates to. But the team also should have a responsibility to make each rider on the team comfortable as they search for different things. And just because RV can win on the bike doesn't mean its a good bike. MC on the suzuki in 97 for example.Resting on past results and saying the bike must be good because we're winning is a sure fire way to end up behind everybody else who's trying to improve.

Sure their can be a bit of paralysis by analysis as you always search for the perfect setting, and at some point you need to suck it up and ride around it. But if you don't try and improve a bike all the time then before you know it, it'll be the worst bike on the line. RMZ 250 for example.
CPR
12/5/2018 12:26am
Think about this.. as dominant as McGrath was.. if you take out one of CR/JS/RC out of the equation then the other two would both have...
Think about this.. as dominant as McGrath was.. if you take out one of CR/JS/RC out of the equation then the other two would both have more wins than MC
Yup and only 14 points separates CR from having 6 national titles instead of 3. Like him or not, there's no denying he's been competitive amongst the best of the best.

The Shop

12/5/2018 1:38am
newmann wrote:
the pic dammit, don't forget the pic [img]https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/crash.net/styles/article/s3/original/133664.jpg[/img]
the pic dammit, don't forget the pic

Pontiac 2005 !

That was some crazy battle between these 3 legends ! It was the last year of the 250 2 strokes such an awesome year
KDXGarage
12/5/2018 3:52am
Couldn't even read the whole interview. What a load. I liked Reed in Europe, then I didn't like him whining here ( for many,many years) then...
Couldn't even read the whole interview. What a load. I liked Reed in Europe, then I didn't like him whining here ( for many,many years) then I liked him on the Honda, then I didn't like him again (what the hell happened on Kawi-check casher) and still don't to this day. Was laughing out loud at the Ironman national back in August "The things you are capable of when it's all on the line"...
Damn, you are a woman's woman!
12/5/2018 4:29am
newmann wrote:
the pic dammit, don't forget the pic [img]https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/crash.net/styles/article/s3/original/133664.jpg[/img]

Pontiac 2005 ! That was some crazy battle between these 3 legends ! It was the last year of the 250 2 strokes such an awesome...
Pontiac 2005 !

That was some crazy battle between these 3 legends ! It was the last year of the 250 2 strokes such an awesome year
* Orlando 2005 me thinksSmile
12/5/2018 4:59am
newmann wrote:

Pontiac 2005 ! That was some crazy battle between these 3 legends ! It was the last year of the 250 2 strokes such an awesome...
Pontiac 2005 !

Damn you're 100% right this is Orlando 05 haha ! Man i need to watch those races again between these 3
kaptkaos
12/5/2018 5:00am
No one is arguing that he is not a great champion and legend of the sport. But he has been his own worst enemy.

Why dont you go to work today and complain about your companies product, the people you work with, even your boss. Lets see how well that goes for you. Racing is a business and unless you are willing to pay the bills and own the team, you have a boss. The boss wants you to deliver results and tow the compamy line. If you cant do that then you will find yourself without a ride sooner or later. He did this enough times that he has not had a good contract for some time.

He is 36, there are no mulligans, do overs or next years. He needs to ride and make a few bucks to keep him afloat the rest of his life. Since he hasnt learned to be PC, I dont see a future as an ambassador for any current brand.

RV was not a very happy guy during his championship streak but he kept his mouth shut and won races. Eli didnt like the Kawi at first, he kept his mouth shut and won races. Dungey always searched for the elusive setup but nevered blamed the bike or the team, he just won titles.

Its a business at the end of the day. In a perfect world it would be Chad Reed and Bubba banging bars and brawling but thats ancient history.
DoctorJD
12/5/2018 5:18am
newmann wrote:

Pontiac 2005 !

Yea, that's what I was thinking, as well. We just happened to be in Orlando that weekend at Disney World, so I took my (then) 7-year-old son to the race. Reedy ended up winning that one.
DoctorJD
12/5/2018 5:20am
Vitard Nation: We hate riders who are robots, why doesn't anyone speak their mind!!!

(Rider speaks his mind)

Vitard Nation: WHY DOESN'T HE JUST SHUT UP AND RIDE!
brycepdh
12/5/2018 5:59am
DoctorJD wrote:
Vitard Nation: We hate riders who are robots, why doesn't anyone speak their mind!!! (Rider speaks his mind) Vitard Nation: WHY DOESN'T HE JUST SHUT UP...
Vitard Nation: We hate riders who are robots, why doesn't anyone speak their mind!!!

(Rider speaks his mind)

Vitard Nation: WHY DOESN'T HE JUST SHUT UP AND RIDE!
Truer words than this have never been spoken...
kaptkaos
12/5/2018 6:03am Edited Date/Time 12/5/2018 6:04am
DoctorJD, head Vitard, find one reference to anyone who said they DO NOT LIKE CHAD REED. This is simply a discussion about historical fact and why he is in his current situation.

Being a Vitard by definition means a lack of reading comprehension and a propensity towards selectively taking others words out of context to create a dichotomy in your favor.

In the future please do not add, remove or selectively chop up my remarks and you will understand the whole point is that its not about you, me or the whole Vitard Nation. Chad Reed is who he his, everyone knows it and he is a great champion that is not ready to accept that the sport is moving on without him. Just as it has for the last 40 years.

Chad Reed is a great champion, who thinks he is bigger than the sport and thats what makes him interesting and relevent even after his results dont.

I will entertain this debate until someone can provide a valid rational argument against it or until the Vitard Nation makes it impossible to participate, I put my money on the latter!
TDeath21
12/5/2018 6:05am
There are 22 upvotes on the OP’s post and I encourage everyone to keep it that way.
Ray_MXS
12/5/2018 6:06am
kaptkaos wrote:
DoctorJD, head Vitard, find one reference to anyone who said they DO NOT LIKE CHAD REED. This is simply a discussion about historical fact and why...
DoctorJD, head Vitard, find one reference to anyone who said they DO NOT LIKE CHAD REED. This is simply a discussion about historical fact and why he is in his current situation.

Being a Vitard by definition means a lack of reading comprehension and a propensity towards selectively taking others words out of context to create a dichotomy in your favor.

In the future please do not add, remove or selectively chop up my remarks and you will understand the whole point is that its not about you, me or the whole Vitard Nation. Chad Reed is who he his, everyone knows it and he is a great champion that is not ready to accept that the sport is moving on without him. Just as it has for the last 40 years.

Chad Reed is a great champion, who thinks he is bigger than the sport and thats what makes him interesting and relevent even after his results dont.

I will entertain this debate until someone can provide a valid rational argument against it or until the Vitard Nation makes it impossible to participate, I put my money on the latter!
DoctorJD is a 100% correct though and you're wrong, that's the part you must have missed.
keinz
12/5/2018 6:11am
And MXA sucks? Right?
kaptkaos
12/5/2018 6:19am Edited Date/Time 12/5/2018 6:20am
kaptkaos wrote:
DoctorJD, head Vitard, find one reference to anyone who said they DO NOT LIKE CHAD REED. This is simply a discussion about historical fact and why...

Ray_MXS wrote:
DoctorJD is a 100% correct though and you're wrong, that's the part you must have missed.
I like vocal riders, you all like vocal riders. Do you or I pay Chad Reeds bills??

This is a business, the man races for a living to earn income for his family. Sure he loves it, but a musician loves his art but wants to get paid.

Whatever we like matters not. The riders have already learned they have to be the face of the Team and say the right things. MX is a small sport, there arent 32 other teams willing to hire him. Even In the Nfl, Kapernick managed to talk his way out of 32 job optikns in a leavue where talent can get you hired even if you are a convicted felon.

My whole point is yes we like him as fans but we really dont count. The sport is a corporation sponsored by corporations who want minions making them millions. Chad no longer fits that mold and struggkes to get signed every year. If it wasnt true then why has he struggled and had to make his own way at his expense the last few years?

It was a good interview but aside from the end, its all stuff we have all heard and read countless times over and thats why I am focusing on that aspect.
Ray_MXS
12/5/2018 6:26am
kaptkaos wrote:

Ray_MXS wrote:
kaptkaos wrote:
I like vocal riders, you all like vocal riders. Do you or I pay Chad Reeds bills?? This is a business, the man races for a...
I like vocal riders, you all like vocal riders. Do you or I pay Chad Reeds bills??

This is a business, the man races for a living to earn income for his family. Sure he loves it, but a musician loves his art but wants to get paid.

Whatever we like matters not. The riders have already learned they have to be the face of the Team and say the right things. MX is a small sport, there arent 32 other teams willing to hire him. Even In the Nfl, Kapernick managed to talk his way out of 32 job optikns in a leavue where talent can get you hired even if you are a convicted felon.

My whole point is yes we like him as fans but we really dont count. The sport is a corporation sponsored by corporations who want minions making them millions. Chad no longer fits that mold and struggkes to get signed every year. If it wasnt true then why has he struggled and had to make his own way at his expense the last few years?

It was a good interview but aside from the end, its all stuff we have all heard and read countless times over and thats why I am focusing on that aspect.
Haven't occurred to you that Reed is probably at the very end of his career now has it? If he doesn't get the JGR gig now he's 99% retiring, pretty much said so himself.
10 years ago sure it would make sense not to burn bridges but he's not going back to Yamaha ever again so why not speak his mind? As a fan this is fantastic reading. More people should be open like this
Ted722
12/5/2018 6:31am
TDeath21 wrote:
There are 22 upvotes on the OP’s post and I encourage everyone to keep it that way.
Captured it just in case!

kaptkaos
12/5/2018 6:40am Edited Date/Time 12/5/2018 6:42am
Ray_MXS wrote:
kaptkaos wrote:
I like vocal riders, you all like vocal riders. Do you or I pay Chad Reeds bills?? This is a business, the man races for a...

Ray_MXS wrote:
Haven't occurred to you that Reed is probably at the very end of his career now has it? If he doesn't get the JGR gig now...
Haven't occurred to you that Reed is probably at the very end of his career now has it? If he doesn't get the JGR gig now he's 99% retiring, pretty much said so himself.
10 years ago sure it would make sense not to burn bridges but he's not going back to Yamaha ever again so why not speak his mind? As a fan this is fantastic reading. More people should be open like this
It occured to me, thats why I wrote the same thing a few posts back, however did it occur to you that in this great interview Chad Reed said he wanted to become a brand ambassador upon retiring and he was not happy that Yamaha gave it to RV instead of him? I rhink thats the whole point of my argument in a nutshell. Hes dissapointed Yamaha didnt make him brand ambassador, but he doesnt realize that his unique style of being vocal is not what the industry wants as an am ambassador even a mentor. Sorry for typos, writing from phone
12/5/2018 6:58am
kaptkaos wrote:
No one is arguing that he is not a great champion and legend of the sport. But he has been his own worst enemy. Why dont...
No one is arguing that he is not a great champion and legend of the sport. But he has been his own worst enemy.

Why dont you go to work today and complain about your companies product, the people you work with, even your boss. Lets see how well that goes for you. Racing is a business and unless you are willing to pay the bills and own the team, you have a boss. The boss wants you to deliver results and tow the compamy line. If you cant do that then you will find yourself without a ride sooner or later. He did this enough times that he has not had a good contract for some time.

He is 36, there are no mulligans, do overs or next years. He needs to ride and make a few bucks to keep him afloat the rest of his life. Since he hasnt learned to be PC, I dont see a future as an ambassador for any current brand.

RV was not a very happy guy during his championship streak but he kept his mouth shut and won races. Eli didnt like the Kawi at first, he kept his mouth shut and won races. Dungey always searched for the elusive setup but nevered blamed the bike or the team, he just won titles.

Its a business at the end of the day. In a perfect world it would be Chad Reed and Bubba banging bars and brawling but thats ancient history.
Not sure where you work, but I would say you could go to 90%+ of work places and find people complaining about the company, boss etc. It happens everywhere, just like the constant whining on here.
Beeby
12/5/2018 7:01am
Chad as a brand ambassador is kind of funny though. Whether you like him or not, he does appear to be quick to blame his bikes. Who is going to want him to travel the world representing their brand and talking about how good it is with a past like that?
kaptkaos
12/5/2018 7:02am
kaptkaos wrote:
No one is arguing that he is not a great champion and legend of the sport. But he has been his own worst enemy. Why dont...

809 wrote:
Not sure where you work, but I would say you could go to 90%+ of work places and find people complaining about the company, boss etc...
Not sure where you work, but I would say you could go to 90%+ of work places and find people complaining about the company, boss etc. It happens everywhere, just like the constant whining on here.
Do they do it with microphones recording them and publishing it? Doubt it.
mx_563
12/5/2018 7:17am
I must be blind. Where's the part about switching from Honda to Kawi during the TwoTwoMotorsports days? They make no mention of it in the interview. Then the shutting down of the team...? Kind of a major part of the story....did I miss it?
peelout
12/5/2018 8:07am
kaptkaos wrote:
Just because he needs a special fork lug doesnt mean everyone else does. He has been whining about every situation he has been in since he...
Just because he needs a special fork lug doesnt mean everyone else does. He has been whining about every situation he has been in since he shut down 22 Motorsports. I get it, if it was just once but its just happening at every spot he lands on and the teams keep cutting him loose. I dont think thats a coincidence. With his great knowledge, speed and experience he should have been able to buy the bike that suit shim last year and been a top 5 guy all year but he didnt. Barcia was a lot like him, but he got the hint and just quit blaming the bike and decided to do what he needed to go fast and say the right things.

Like I said, I am a Chad Reed fan, and want him to stick around as long as he can, but I can see why the teams let him go, and why they arent fighting over him. He will get a chance due to the misfortune of Peicks accident.

Sure Chad can tell the team very minute details about what HE WANTS the bike to do, but that doesnt make a better race or production bike, and the teams arent stupid, they way the pros and cons of his feedback and results versus the negative remarks he can make when things dont go his way and most decide the Juice aint worth the squeeze. Perhaps, if he was lighting hte world on fire with his results they would, as they have done in the past and for other riders, but that ship has sailed and he needs to play the PC card and be smart to extend his career and make more money. The point is, you have the bike and team you have, make the best of it, work within their system and be a positive contributor. Its not your team anymore, you dont pay the bills, THEY DO. Thats all.

I hope he does well this year, and can help JGR and Suzuki get back on top, I highly doubt it, but it would be great to see.

When its all over, I hope he made enough money to write a tell all book, because he has strong feelings about the sport, the promoters, the sanctioning body, the teams, the bikes, the press, the tracks pretty much everything. There is a time and manner to be vocal if you want to be a Sponsored Factory rider. That time is when you are on top or when you have enough FU $$$.
drt410 wrote:
Exactly he even admitted this about Villopoto. He said RV could go fast on the Kawi no matter how bad it was. Isnt that EXACTLY what...
paraphrasing for Reed here... "RV is the fuckin' man and could win on anything and that's incredible because i need a comfortable setup"

i don't see it as him whining

and by your sentiment, the factories should say fuck you to anyone who needs to do bike setup or isn't winning every week
500guy
12/5/2018 8:58am
I don't get the hate on Chad for the Yamaha comments, I would bet JGR was dealing with the same issues.
UpTiTe
Fantasy
4091st
12/5/2018 9:06am
Not a bad interview until he said he chose to leave L&M, thats a lie.
Zycki11
12/5/2018 9:36am
kaptkaos wrote:

You have got some blinders on bud.
NorCal 50+
12/5/2018 9:44am
He said he wanted to stay on L&M, but wasn't that when he and Brooks started slamming each other in the press.
Is the top dog at Yamaha that Reed keeps complaining about Keith McCarty? Sure seems like it. Imagine having to race a bike every week that you are scared is going to kill you by bogging. That must have sucked.

Post a reply to: MXA - Chad Reed Interview

The Latest