MXA 250 shootout

MPJC
Fantasy
704th
https://motocrossactionmag.com/2019-250-four-stroke-shootout-motocross-…

Similar results to Vital, with the Husky and KTM swapping places. An odd result if MXA is hopelessly biased towards KTM - or that YZ is just really, really good!
|
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
12/19/2018 2:07pm
Only listened to a little bit of it since I'm at work, but sounds like they changed their tune on shootouts a bit.
MPJC
Fantasy
704th
12/19/2018 2:13pm
mattyhamz2 wrote:
Only listened to a little bit of it since I'm at work, but sounds like they changed their tune on shootouts a bit.
Yeah, the KTM/Huskys in general seem to have taken a step back this year. It's a bit confusing though, as in their reviews of the 350 and 450 they say they're improved, despite saying in the 450 shootout that they prefer the 2018 model. A bit of a mixed message there.
cody41
12/19/2018 2:31pm
The Japanese bikes are stepping up their game. Yamaha has updated both models, kawi will be next year, Honda is basically there with both models, and Suzuki has affordability going for them. Ktm/Husky are nice bikes, but the suspension is junk, the durability/integrity is poor, and they cost more.
skypig
12/19/2018 2:56pm
MPJC wrote:
Yeah, the KTM/Huskys in general seem to have taken a step back this year. It's a bit confusing though, as in their reviews of the 350...
Yeah, the KTM/Huskys in general seem to have taken a step back this year. It's a bit confusing though, as in their reviews of the 350 and 450 they say they're improved, despite saying in the 450 shootout that they prefer the 2018 model. A bit of a mixed message there.
Yes, I was getting that inconsistent message.
I think they stated the ‘19 350 was the “best Motocross bike ever”.

The local dealer, who actually rides said the new 450 is so smooth and easy to ride, it’s making the 350 less relevant. (He is a big 350 fan.)

The Shop

yz133rider
12/19/2018 3:02pm
MPJC wrote:
Yeah, the KTM/Huskys in general seem to have taken a step back this year. It's a bit confusing though, as in their reviews of the 350...
skypig wrote:
Yes, I was getting that inconsistent message. I think they stated the ‘19 350 was the “best Motocross bike ever”. The local dealer, who actually rides...

The local dealer, who actually rides said the new 450 is so smooth and easy to ride, it’s making the 350 less relevant. (He is a big 350 fan.)
I rode a 19 husky 450 and had a 17 350 and agree with that statement. Riding them back to back the 350 really didnt feel any better. The 450 had all the positives of the 350 with a little more roll on out of corners is what i felt.
Myke
Fantasy
2883rd
12/19/2018 3:09pm
MPJC wrote:
https://motocrossactionmag.com/2019-250-four-stroke-shootout-motocross-action-original-video/ Similar results to Vital, with the Husky and KTM swapping places. An odd result if MXA is hopelessly biased towards KTM - or that YZ...

Similar results to Vital, with the Husky and KTM swapping places. An odd result if MXA is hopelessly biased towards KTM - or that YZ is just really, really good!
The YZ is really good!
MPJC
Fantasy
704th
12/19/2018 3:09pm
MPJC wrote:
skypig wrote:
Yes, I was getting that inconsistent message. I think they stated the ‘19 350 was the “best Motocross bike ever”. The local dealer, who actually rides...

yz133rider wrote:
I rode a 19 husky 450 and had a 17 350 and agree with that statement. Riding them back to back the 350 really didnt feel...
I rode a 19 husky 450 and had a 17 350 and agree with that statement. Riding them back to back the 350 really didnt feel any better. The 450 had all the positives of the 350 with a little more roll on out of corners is what i felt.
Interesting. I’m a fan of the 350 but I’m interested in taking a 19 450 for a spin. I do like my 250 and 350 but may at some point sell both of my bikes and buy a new one. Would seriously consider a new 450.
12/19/2018 3:23pm
cody41 wrote:
The Japanese bikes are stepping up their game. Yamaha has updated both models, kawi will be next year, Honda is basically there with both models, and...
The Japanese bikes are stepping up their game. Yamaha has updated both models, kawi will be next year, Honda is basically there with both models, and Suzuki has affordability going for them. Ktm/Husky are nice bikes, but the suspension is junk, the durability/integrity is poor, and they cost more.
Is the durability an issue with KTM/Huskys? I thought I had heard they had gotten a lot better the last few years... I wish the shootouts would devote more time to evaluating or ranking durability. Seems like if you are spending $8 to almost $10K on a bike you would want to know if it was going to break down in the 1st month. Most magazines hardly say a word about it except that Yamahas are "bulletproof". I would like to hear more about the other bikes. It would be nice if they factored that part of it into the tests. Can of worms, opened
MPJC
Fantasy
704th
12/19/2018 3:26pm
cody41 wrote:
The Japanese bikes are stepping up their game. Yamaha has updated both models, kawi will be next year, Honda is basically there with both models, and...
Is the durability an issue with KTM/Huskys? I thought I had heard they had gotten a lot better the last few years... I wish the shootouts...
Is the durability an issue with KTM/Huskys? I thought I had heard they had gotten a lot better the last few years... I wish the shootouts would devote more time to evaluating or ranking durability. Seems like if you are spending $8 to almost $10K on a bike you would want to know if it was going to break down in the 1st month. Most magazines hardly say a word about it except that Yamahas are "bulletproof". I would like to hear more about the other bikes. It would be nice if they factored that part of it into the tests. Can of worms, opened
From what I've seen, KTMs are very durable, and if they break due to manufacturing defect, KTM will step up and look after the customer. I don't think any of the new bikes are junk.
jjavaman
Fantasy
3755th
12/19/2018 8:27pm
cody41 wrote:
Is the durability an issue with KTM/Huskys? I thought I had heard they had gotten a lot better the last few years... I wish the shootouts...
Don’t MXA’s shootouts always come out last because they test the bikes for months before releasing the results?
Jrewing
12/20/2018 12:03am Edited Date/Time 12/20/2018 12:03am
Shootouts are irrelevant. Test ride the bikes yourself on tracks you know well.
Indy mxer
12/20/2018 5:45am
Jrewing wrote:
That's good advice if you have access to all the bikes.. But most of us don't. Test riding doesn't happen often.

While I agree the shootouts are not the be all end all, the info can be helpful choosing a new bike.
That said. All the bikes are really good. Just pick the one you like. Buy from a good dealer when you can.
fourfourone
12/20/2018 6:23am
Jrewing wrote:
Indy mxer wrote:
That's good advice if you have access to all the bikes.. But most of us don't. Test riding doesn't happen often. While I agree the shootouts...
That's good advice if you have access to all the bikes.. But most of us don't. Test riding doesn't happen often.

While I agree the shootouts are not the be all end all, the info can be helpful choosing a new bike.
That said. All the bikes are really good. Just pick the one you like. Buy from a good dealer when you can.
I use shootouts and internet reviews to make my purchase decisions. I ride with a pretty diverse group from A moto guys to gncc/jday guys. I am lucky to be able to swap bikes with my buddies but the bike set ups are drastically different depending on the person riding it.
grunkster
12/20/2018 8:26am
so they still talk about the yz250f as still being fat in the middle....seems like a visual thing to me...feels about right when standing or sitting (but I am only 5'6")
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
12/20/2018 8:33am
cody41 wrote:
jjavaman wrote:
Don’t MXA’s shootouts always come out last because they test the bikes for months before releasing the results?
Normally yes. But I think everyone is forced to only have a couple days to do shootouts because of Suzuki
seth505
Fantasy
1092nd
12/20/2018 9:35am
MPJC wrote:
https://motocrossactionmag.com/2019-250-four-stroke-shootout-motocross-action-original-video/ Similar results to Vital, with the Husky and KTM swapping places. An odd result if MXA is hopelessly biased towards KTM - or that YZ...

Why can’t people accept that possibly the KTM/Husky just have the top bike for several model years? Why would the blu crew win if the bias exists?
MPJC
Fantasy
704th
12/20/2018 10:05am
MPJC wrote:

seth505 wrote:
Why can’t people accept that possibly the KTM/Husky just have the top bike for several model years? Why would the blu crew win if the bias...
Why can’t people accept that possibly the KTM/Husky just have the top bike for several model years? Why would the blu crew win if the bias exists?
I agree. I think it is both false that MXA is biased and true that the YZ is excellent this year.
aroark247
12/20/2018 10:18am
MPJC wrote:
I agree. I think it is both false that MXA is biased and true that the YZ is excellent this year.
You're delusional if you can't see MXA's bias. In almost every single article on bike comparison for the last 5-6 years MXA absolutely gushes over the KTM, then basically tells the reader than you're an idiot if you choose to buy something else.
I can deal with the fact that some of these years past, the KTM may be the all around best bike. I just can not stand the tone in which the articles are written. They come off as very condescending and arrogant to someone who would pick something other than what they choose.
Excaliburbmx
12/20/2018 10:26am
Does it really make a difference if you are a b or less rider?
MPJC
Fantasy
704th
12/20/2018 10:27am
MPJC wrote:
aroark247 wrote:
You're delusional if you can't see MXA's bias. In almost every single article on bike comparison for the last 5-6 years MXA absolutely gushes over the...
You're delusional if you can't see MXA's bias. In almost every single article on bike comparison for the last 5-6 years MXA absolutely gushes over the KTM, then basically tells the reader than you're an idiot if you choose to buy something else.
I can deal with the fact that some of these years past, the KTM may be the all around best bike. I just can not stand the tone in which the articles are written. They come off as very condescending and arrogant to someone who would pick something other than what they choose.
Nothing like how they gushed over the YZ 250 for years (including saying it was better than the 250 SX in 2015)? I can understand not liking their tone in places, but as far as I can see, they call it like they see it. Maybe I'm delusional.
MPJC
Fantasy
704th
12/20/2018 10:29am
I don't expect any bike to make me fast but I do have preferences as far as what I find comfortable, what sort of power I like, etc.
Tarz483
Fantasy
583rd
12/20/2018 10:32am Edited Date/Time 12/20/2018 10:33am
Ive asked this question a bunch and from everything i hear the answer is No , pick a bike Set it up for you and You will do the same on them all, whats even more interesting to me is ive asked guys that were in a shootout if they would buy the bike that they pick as the winner or think is the fastest , and the answer was no.
Surprisingly but the reason was because the fastest bike that they picked as the winner and believed would be the fastest bike, they didn't think was the most comfortable or the most fun to ride per se , almost like it can be set up a little to aggressively as far as suspension handling etc. So fast but at the expense of comfort.

joeellis
12/20/2018 10:32am
Their tone can be condescending at times. They state how they don't just test the bikes, they test them under race conditions. Sounds like they may even be taking a jab at the other publications to me. Probably most who buy these bikes don't race them. Some even take them on trails, heaven forbid. The top bike each year is not necessarily the best for each individual. They are all excellent and improve all the time.
aroark247
12/20/2018 10:42am
MPJC wrote:
Nothing like how they gushed over the YZ 250 for years (including saying it was better than the 250 SX in 2015)? I can understand not...
Nothing like how they gushed over the YZ 250 for years (including saying it was better than the 250 SX in 2015)? I can understand not liking their tone in places, but as far as I can see, they call it like they see it. Maybe I'm delusional.
This is my opinion, and I may be reaching here but it almost seems as if they become conscious of being biased so every so often the throw something out there that may or not be popular opinion just to throw off the scent of a dog.

It's funny how year after year they dog the crap out of the japanese over weight which is only noticeable to their customer base (vet riders) when they pick the bikes up and off the stand.(This is more noticeable in the 450 shootout)
MPJC
Fantasy
704th
12/20/2018 10:51am
MPJC wrote:
Nothing like how they gushed over the YZ 250 for years (including saying it was better than the 250 SX in 2015)? I can understand not...
aroark247 wrote:
This is my opinion, and I may be reaching here but it almost seems as if they become conscious of being biased so every so often...
This is my opinion, and I may be reaching here but it almost seems as if they become conscious of being biased so every so often the throw something out there that may or not be popular opinion just to throw off the scent of a dog.

It's funny how year after year they dog the crap out of the japanese over weight which is only noticeable to their customer base (vet riders) when they pick the bikes up and off the stand.(This is more noticeable in the 450 shootout)
Ha ha, vet riders like me who use a lift stand to avoid having to lift the bike onto the stand.
MPJC
Fantasy
704th
12/20/2018 10:56am
Tarz483 wrote:
Ive asked this question a bunch and from everything i hear the answer is No , pick a bike Set it up for you and You...
Ive asked this question a bunch and from everything i hear the answer is No , pick a bike Set it up for you and You will do the same on them all, whats even more interesting to me is ive asked guys that were in a shootout if they would buy the bike that they pick as the winner or think is the fastest , and the answer was no.
Surprisingly but the reason was because the fastest bike that they picked as the winner and believed would be the fastest bike, they didn't think was the most comfortable or the most fun to ride per se , almost like it can be set up a little to aggressively as far as suspension handling etc. So fast but at the expense of comfort.

If I'm buying a 250, being well over 200 pounds and riding in sand, power matters. For 450s, they are all plenty fast. But power doesn't mean much if you can't be comfortable on the bike. The nicest 450 I've ridden is a RMZ that was set up for a rider of similar weight and ability to myself. I was instantly comfortable and loved the power and handling (Yosh pipe, revalved suspension). The fact that it finished last in the shootouts doesn't mean a thing to me.
skypig
12/20/2018 3:10pm Edited Date/Time 12/20/2018 3:11pm
MXA’s harping on about weight is well justified.
I consider any bike test/shootout that doesn’t weigh the bikes, as second rate. Especially of race bikes. (Manufacturers claims are simply fiction.)

Weight affects acceleration, braking, cornering and jumping.
Teams don’t spend $1000’s on Ti bolts for fun.
Minimum weights for race classes exist to try and stop teams gaining an advantage by spending more money to reduce weight.

Lighter is better. (Everything else being equal.)

MXA, like all publications, have their own views/tone, and don’t suit everyone.
I feel they come across as knowledgeable, passionate and unbiased. I also feel they come across a little self important. They are one of the few publications that call a spade a spade. They are unrelenting on their criticism of KTM’s plastic pre load adjustor, the sticking gas caps, and spokes that come loose. If a race bike is slow, or heavy, compared to the competition, they mention that too.
Eddieg15
12/20/2018 6:01pm
cody41 wrote:
That was a rookie speaking

Post a reply to: MXA 250 shootout

The Latest